2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Desert style course in Vegas area

coach_harris1

Which is the must play desert style course
Which is the best desert style course in the Vegas area? I have always wanted to play a desert style course and will have my first opportunity coming up in June. I know it will be hot and don't mind the heat. I'll get out early in the morning, probably close to sunrise. I like playing early. I have always been fascinated with this style of course. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Coach

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I last golfed Vegas about 6 years ago, so things may have changed. Paiute Wolf course is great but a ways out of town. Beautiful views and very nice track. Closer to town, I enjoyed playing the Badlands and TPC Canyons, lots of desert ravines with well maintained fairways and greens.

I think I would consider Badlands to be the best value for the money.

[quote name='mckennwa' timestamp='1298656985' post='3008508']
The Chase at Coyote Springs is a really nice Nicklaus track. It's really affordable if you find a deal, but be prepared to drive 45 minutes into the middle of nowhere.
[/quote]

I live in Oklahoma so I used to driving into the middle of nowhere.:D

For my money, Rio Secco outshines TPC. Both are fun tracks, just that there is a little more bang for your buck at Rio Secco. That being said, TPC was one of the more "desert" like courses we played out there.

Heard nothing but good things about Badlands, though we didn't play it.

I'm hitting Paiute Wolf in April, another good word of mouth course.

Mike

[quote name='lvphil702' timestamp='1298659221' post='3008617']
Badlands or Rio Secco would be good choices. TPC also. Keep in mind most are set up as desert courses....some more desert than others.
[/quote]

I'll second the Chase at Coyote Springs. Supposed to be the first of 2 courses and thousands of houses but is the only thing there now. Great course, driving range, practice bunkers were outstanding. My questions are, where do the workers live? and what kind of fish are in the hazards as they are big and the course is new. Early times may require a caddy IIRC, we teed off in the afternoon when it was no caddy and much cheaper, also was like golfing on the surface of the sun! (early October, over 100° easily) Our cart was completely full of water bottles as we couldn't find a trash can on the course. They must have a thousand potted trees, cactus and plants waiting for homes to be built.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='coach_harris1' timestamp='1298656037' post='3008468']
Which is the best desert style course in the Vegas area? I have always wanted to play a desert style course and will have my first opportunity coming up in June. I know it will be hot and don't mind the heat. I'll get out early in the morning, probably close to sunrise. I like playing early. I have always been fascinated with this style of course. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Coach
[/quote]

Wolf Creek out in Mesquite (75 minutes from the strip center) is amazing desert golf and worth the drive.
Cascata in Boulder City (25-35 minutes from the strip center) is classic desert golf, immaculately maintained, and priced accordingly.
The Paiute courses (about 25 minutes from the strip center), especially Wolf, are wonderful, and affordable, and probably my first choice when you combine cost, travel time, and aesthetics.
The Primm desert course (60 minutes, if memory serves from the stip center) is excelent.
I would lump Badlands, Rio Secco, and Dragon Ridge as a notch below the four I mentioned above (but reasonable minds can differ).
And I was underwhelmed by The Chase at (non-existent) Coyote Springs. It is in the middle of nowhere because the economic downturn cancelled the development of which it was to be a part; and the day I played it there were sustained winds of 30+ mph.

[quote name='LPC' timestamp='1301794258' post='3113412']
[quote name='coach_harris1' timestamp='1298656037' post='3008468']
Which is the best desert style course in the Vegas area? I have always wanted to play a desert style course and will have my first opportunity coming up in June. Coach
[/quote]

Wolf Creek out in Mesquite (75 minutes from the strip center) is amazing desert golf and worth the drive.
Cascata in Boulder City (25-35 minutes from the strip center) is classic desert golf, immaculately maintained, and priced accordingly.
The Paiute courses (about 25 minutes from the strip center), especially Wolf, are wonderful, and affordable, and probably my first choice when you combine cost, travel time, and aesthetics.
The Primm desert course (60 minutes, if memory serves from the stip center) is excelent.
I would lump Badlands, Rio Secco, and Dragon Ridge as a notch below the four I mentioned above (but reasonable minds can differ).
And I was underwhelmed by The Chase at (non-existent) Coyote Springs. It is in the middle of nowhere because the economic downturn cancelled the development of which it was to be a part; and the day I played it there were sustained winds of 30+ mph.
[/quote]

I'm not certain if you are looking for courses where the views are of the desert or if you want a course with target landing areas and forced carries over native areas and native sand areas encroaching on the rough, which are the charecteristics that many associate with a desert style course. In one way or the other most of the courses around Vegas are desert courses except Shadow Creek, The Wynn, Bali Hai and several others. The courses mentioned in this thread are good suggestions. I'm a fan of the three Paiute courses, The Chase @Coyote and Primm Desert. A couple that haven't been mentioned are Boulder Creek and Tuscany which are a little less expensive.

The Paiute courses and the Chase have great desert views, but are pretty much green grass from tee to green with fairly wide fairways so don't play like a desert course. You often get strong winds at all of these courses, not just at the Chase. Dragon Ridge may be what you are looking for. It has a number of split fairways with carries over natural desert areas and target holes. Badlands also fits the bill as a desert style layout

Wolf Creek is unlike any other course you might play. If you want to drive 80 miles from the strip play it.

Here are links to photos several of the courses mentioned:

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/557768692fBmMJz"]Wolf Creek[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/572996717coTLEe"]The Chase @ Coyote[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/572988212ooOjZL"]Paiute[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/557831461nMfftu"]Primm Desert & Dragon Ridge[/url]

• 3 weeks later...