2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst Trip - Easter Weekend

Gachnar

Looking for advice
I originally posted this in the wrong forum, but we've firmed up our plans and I'm looking for advice/suggestions from locals/experts! I've read through most of the the threads and used it to develop what we have, but I'd love feedback.

Brother and I are planning to fly into Charlotte due to price differences, it looks like about an extra 30 min of driving vs flying into Raleigh?

Trying to strike a mix of value/history/great golf.

Sat: Looking at Southern Pines and The Pit

Sun: Pinehurst No 1/3/ or 5 as a warm up (curious to know which of these people prefer) then No. 2

Mon: No 4 or 7 (again, which do people like better) then No. 8

Tues: Probably only 18, currently have Talamore penciled in, unless we make arrangements at The Dormie (we are both big C&C fans). Also considered driving up to Tobacco Rd first thing before we head to Charlotte (evening flight out).

So what would you change or not change if it were you? I know we are missing some great tracks, which is unavoidable with only 3 days. Mid Pines/Pine Needles look great, but also are more expensive than the options I currently have listed outside of Pinehurst proper (well, except Dormie). I'm sure we'll be back to play other courses.

Thanks for any advice! Happy to return the favor for anyone headed to Oregon :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1299494699' post='3032625']
I originally posted this in the wrong forum, but we've firmed up our plans and I'm looking for advice/suggestions from locals/experts! I've read through most of the the threads and used it to develop what we have, but I'd love feedback.

Brother and I are planning to fly into Charlotte due to price differences, it looks like about an extra 30 min of driving vs flying into Raleigh?

Trying to strike a mix of value/history/great golf.

Sat: Looking at Southern Pines and The Pit

Sun: Pinehurst No 1/3/ or 5 as a warm up (curious to know which of these people prefer) then No. 2

Mon: No 4 or 7 (again, which do people like better) then No. 8

Tues: Probably only 18, currently have Talamore penciled in, unless we make arrangements at The Dormie (we are both big C&C fans). Also considered driving up to Tobacco Rd first thing before we head to Charlotte (evening flight out).

So what would you change or not change if it were you? I know we are missing some great tracks, which is unavoidable with only 3 days. Mid Pines/Pine Needles look great, but also are more expensive than the options I currently have listed outside of Pinehurst proper (well, except Dormie). I'm sure we'll be back to play other courses.

Thanks for any advice! Happy to return the favor for anyone headed to Oregon :)
[/quote]

Sat- I think you will have two good courses. The Pit is a unique course made from a former sand pit. It has some holes that offer good risk vs reward. Southern Pines is a great old Ross gem, its one of the courses in the area that for whatever reason slips through the cracks alot from not only locals, but not too distant out of towners. Its been a bargain stop for many of us in the area for awhile now.

Sun- I myself would pick 5 first, then 1, then 3.... not that anything is wrong with any of those, thats just my personal preference.

Monday- I would definitely go with no. 4, I actually like 4 better then no 2 ( don't know after the redue, as I have not played 2 since then)

Tuesday- If you can do The Dormie, I'd do it, and if not, Talamore has been in fantastic shape the past year and half. It was great even during our summer drought last year.

A big +2 to everything Onebowtie said. No. 4 is very good and it's at the main clubhouse so you can spend more time on it's wonderful range and practice area and clubhouse.

Also agree with Talamore versus Tobacco Road on getaway day if for no other reason than it will make it much easier to head back to Charlotte, you'd be doubling back 45 minutes out of your way to play Tobacco Road. Also if you haven't booked those flights and it's not a big difference in price, you might want to recheck. Charlotte is about a 2 hour drive versus just more than an hour if that from RDU. If you did go the RDU route then Tobacco road would be on your way to the airport as well as the great courses at Duke and Carolina are no more than 30 minutes to RDU.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I really wanted to make RDU work, but it was about $250 difference. Which route would you recommend from Charlotte. 74, or 27/24?

Our plans have been modified slightly already due to availability, and the fact that the Pit is apparently closed down.

Sat: Pinehurst No 7 AM, Southern Pines PM (May be able to do 8 instead, but I hear 7 is nice as well)
Sun: No 2 AM, No 1 PM (based on the above may switch it to 5, or we may try to squeeze both since they are short/cheap).
Mon: No 4 AM, Talamore PM, unless we can get on at Dormie (anyone have tips on getting on there?).
Tues: TBD, but my brother really wants to do Tobacco Rd, so we may just drive the extra distance. We fly out at 5pm, so we can play first thing in the morning and still make it just fine. But also considering Mid Pines or National. Or Talamore if we do Dormie on Mon.

At Pinehurst we are staying at the Holly, got a nice package for $298 pp per night with golf, breakfast, dinnner etc. Monday looking at maybe the Springhill suites.

Thanks for all the advice thus far, really looking forward to this trip now that things are starting to come together! If anyone is interested in joining up with us for a round somewhere, let me know. Brother is about a 10 handicap, I'm a 7 or so, and we just like to have a good time. Always great to have some local knowledge!

Sounds like a great trip I'm envious. Yeah, I don't blame you for that difference in airfare. That's really surprising. As for route, I'll let Onebowtie or someone else give you advise on that, I've only done it a couple times. Now that I live in Maryland, everytime I come down it's from the North so I really can't recommend the best route from Charlotte.

No. 7 is very nice. I personally think it's the toughest of the courses. I remember the first time we played it we played in the afternoon after playing No. 2 in the morning. We walked it with the same caddies we had for No. 2. They looked at us like we were crazy when we asked if they would caddie for us on 7. I don't think it's the norm. They said most people take carts, since it's got some pretty good hills on it. We were beat at the end of that day.

If you're brother really wants to play Tobacco Road then you should if you can get an early enough tee time to make it work. If you're having to change hotels that last night you might want to check into somehting up by it anyway. I think there is a Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn something like that near by if I recall. It is truly a course you will never forget. It will give you lots to talk about on your drive to the airport.

Funny side note. We took an Easter trip down several years ago and on Easter sunday we had a tee time at Anderson Creek at like 8:30 AM. We got there and there was one car in the lot, the pro shop guy. We checked in and he showed us the tee sheet. We were the only ones on it until like 12:30 or so. We asked if we could do a replay afterward and he just said "play as much as you guys want today, Happy Easter" Guess there is something to be said for being on a golf vacation in the bible belt on Easter Sunday :) We played 36 and were tempted to go out for another 9 at the end, but instead opted to go for a big steak.

Speaking of food, it wouldn't be a trip to pinehurst if you don't have a meal at the Pinecrest Inn. They have their famous 22oz pork chop that's a beast for anyone to finish. But everything there is good.

Enjoy!!

Vokey

Since your leaving from Charlotte airport, I am guessing 74 would be best route to Pinehurst area, however with the new bypass in place, there are more options, and if you have a GPS, if its up to date, I'd trust it.

I agree no. 7 is a great course, and it is tough. I would play 7 before 8 if given the choice. Not that anything is wrong with 8, it is considered one of the premier courses, but I would take 7 if I was given the choice.

As far as getting on Dormie, one poster in another thread checked it out, and he said it cost $230. I know that right now you can get on that course through Talamore, they have a package that includes the Dormie Club.

Look, I haven't played Dormie, I have some friends that have played it, they loved it, if price is of no concern, then do it, but you would not be disappointed in playing any of the other courses you have mentioned.

The Pine Needles and Mid PInes courses are always great, right now they are doing some course improvements on Mid Pines, but I suspect by June the course will be in tip top shape, but I would not hesitate to play National, Talamore or Mid South if you need to change anything around.

Your staying at the Holly, so you are going to have the Pinehurst village flavor nightly, your in for good times.

I may be able to join you guys for a round and or food. So as your trip gets closer, pm me and we can firm up. Also, pm me if you need any other type of local info.

So of course after I call Dormie a dozen times with no luck, my brother has a half hour conversation with the guy first try. We are all set for there on Tues morning now (and only $150).

So we are pretty much set now. I just need to decide if we play Talamore Monday afternoon, or make the drive out to Tobacco Rd.

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1299641126' post='3038792']
So of course after I call Dormie a dozen times with no luck, my brother has a half hour conversation with the guy first try. We are all set for there on Tues morning now (and only $150).

So we are pretty much set now. I just need to decide if we play Talamore Monday afternoon, or make the drive out to Tobacco Rd.
[/quote]

Excellent, you have a great selection of golf. Once your here, the drive isn't bad from the resort or village are to either. So just pick the course you think you want to play and roll with it. Can't go wrong with either.

Playing 3,4,7,8, MidPines, and the Dormie club over the next 5 days. Will let you know what the Dormie club is like when I get back.

Play Tobacco Road - loads of fun. Better than Talamore in my opinion.
Mike

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1299641126' post='3038792']

[/quote]

do you know what kind of maintenance they are doing at Mid Pines? I still have time to make a change if it's going to be in rough shape. Thanks,

Mike

[quote name='OneBowTie' timestamp='1299610910' post='3037234']
Since your leaving from Charlotte airport, I am guessing 74 would be best route to Pinehurst area, however with the new bypass in place, there are more options, and if you have a GPS, if its up to date, I'd trust it.

I agree no. 7 is a great course, and it is tough. I would play 7 before 8 if given the choice. Not that anything is wrong with 8, it is considered one of the premier courses, but I would take 7 if I was given the choice.

As far as getting on Dormie, one poster in another thread checked it out, and he said it cost $230. I know that right now you can get on that course through Talamore, they have a package that includes the Dormie Club.

Look, I haven't played Dormie, I have some friends that have played it, they loved it, if price is of no concern, then do it, but you would not be disappointed in playing any of the other courses you have mentioned.

The Pine Needles and Mid PInes courses are always great, right now they are doing some course improvements on Mid Pines, but I suspect by June the course will be in tip top shape, but I would not hesitate to play National, Talamore or Mid South if you need to change anything around.

Your staying at the Holly, so you are going to have the Pinehurst village flavor nightly, your in for good times.

I may be able to join you guys for a round and or food. So as your trip gets closer, pm me and we can firm up. Also, pm me if you need any other type of local info.
[/quote]

[quote name='brownm' timestamp='1299790427' post='3044381']
do you know what kind of maintenance they are doing at Mid Pines? I still have time to make a change if it's going to be in rough shape. Thanks,

Mike

[quote name='OneBowTie' timestamp='1299610910' post='3037234']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Its not in rough shape at all... but 2 weeks ago when I played it, they had a temp tee box and they had re-sodded the collar of one green, and had one place off in the rough that they were re doing. The course was still very enjoyable, but it was not in its normal pristine shape.

I'll look forward to your report on Dormie. I think we have solidified everything, at least unless we decide to change it.

Sat: Southern Pines/Pinehurst No. 8
Sun: Pinehurst No 4/Pinehurst No.2/Possibly 1, 3, or 5 if we are still standing.
Mon: Tobacco Rd x2. Decided if we were going that way to play a course with a bunch of blind shots, might as well take advantage of the replay rate and play it twice. I don't mind blind shots, but I always feel like "oh, that's where you hit it" and hate when you don't get another crack.
Tues: Dormie.

If I could do anything, I'd add another day to hit Mid Pines/Pine Needles, but the amount of great golf over there is ridiculous, you'd need weeks to play everything.

I guess instead of thinking about the trip I should go work on my game :)

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1299797458' post='3044703']
I'll look forward to your report on Dormie. I think we have solidified everything, at least unless we decide to change it.

Sat: Southern Pines/Pinehurst No. 8
Sun: Pinehurst No 4/Pinehurst No.2/Possibly 1, 3, or 5 if we are still standing.
Mon: Tobacco Rd x2. Decided if we were going that way to play a course with a bunch of blind shots, might as well take advantage of the replay rate and play it twice. I don't mind blind shots, but I always feel like "oh, that's where you hit it" and hate when you don't get another crack.
Tues: Dormie.

If I could do anything, I'd add another day to hit Mid Pines/Pine Needles, but the amount of great golf over there is ridiculous, you'd need weeks to play everything.

I guess instead of thinking about the trip I should go work on my game :)
[/quote]

:clapping::clapping: Great trip and line up. There's just one problem with that list of courses. Everytrip you take from no on will pale in comparison :)

Vokey

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1299863303' post='3046531']
Ha, that may be true, but living in Oregon about 2 hours from Bandon Dunes I'm pretty spoiled already :)
[/quote]

yeah, I saw you're from there. I'll have to bookmark your name so when I finally do get around to going out there, you can give me the scoop on golf in that area. I was in San Francisco earlier this year and tried to figure out how I could drive up and get at least one day in there, but everyone told me it was too long of trip for just a day. But I once drove 6 hours down to play No. 2 had dinner and drove 6 hours home afterward. One heck of a long day, but the drive home was filled with great memories.

Vokey

Definitely, I'm happy to help anyone looking for advice on courses in Oregon.

It's a long drive from San Fran for a day, but it's a beautiful drive. Napa/Sonoma, Mendicino, the 101/Hwy1, the Redwoods, would be a great way to come (though you can fly from SFO to Bandon now).

Bandon is definitely a trip everyone should make once. And if you aren't scared of a little rain, I highly recommend doing it "off season"

I meant to add. That's a great idea to do the replay on Tobacco Road. It is absolutely a course when you're done you will say. Next time I'll do this on hole ## and on no. ## I'll play it this way. And from what I reember their replay rounds are very reasonable. They have a a great log cabin clubhouse that serves pretty good food and has a nice patio overlooking a par 3 coming toward the clubhouse over water.

Vokey

The locals all take 24/27 back and forth to Charlotte. It is 2 hours + but not a bad drive. I rcommend you keep #7 in your rotation, very tough course in great shape. Your meal options are many, but I would hesistate to sign on for the meal package for the resort for the full stay, there are so many fine places to eat outside of the resort. Definately get out on the town thurs.fri/sat nights. The Village of Pinehurst has several great bars and the atmophere is superb. Meet some locals and enjoy the comaradrie. The Pine Crest is a must. The Old Sport Shoppe is a great golf memorabelia shop in the Village. They have a wonderful selection of books, art, antiques and more. Take the time a browse this great store.

Easter morning sunrise service at the Carolina is a very nice affair. Make time to enjoy the sunrise and celebrate Easter. [url="http://bobbarmore.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/easter-sunrise-service-at-the-carolina/"]http://bobbarmore.wo...t-the-carolina/[/url]

I think you have one of the finest packages I have ever heard of put together.

Enjoy.

Bob Barrmore

Thanks Bob, we will definitely check out the sunrise service since we have the breakfast at the Carolina included in our stay anyway. We do have an 8am tee time that morning, but I'm sure we can make time for at least part of the service before breakfast. Sounds like a great tradition.

We pretty much had to book the package that included meals, as it was less than booking without, unless we wanted to stay in the Manor, in which case it would be about $10 less.

Right now our plans are one night we'll eat at the 1895 Grille, and probably hit one of the casual spots at Pinehurst for the next night, then the Pinecrest Inn the night we stay at the SpringHill Suites.

Since we are flying into Charlotte Friday eve I had us booked near the airport, but I may switch that and find some place cheap and clean for Friday night in the Pinehurst area.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how the trip went? I am headed down next month, playing Southern Pines and Tobacco Road. What did you think? Where did you guys eat? Any recommendations for food, drinks, other courses?

Thanks!

D - 10.5° Paradym Ai Smoke Tensei AV Blue 55

F - 20° Paradym Heavenwood Ventus TR Blue 7
H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

I - 5-G JPX 923 HM KBS Tour Lite

W - 54/58 CBX2 Black Satin KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
P - Toulon Seattle w/ H1 Hosel

B - Titleist Pro V1

ALL CARRIED, DRUG OR DRIVEN IN A...BIG MAX DRi LiTe <-HYBRID-> Golf Bag

Head out tomorrow to Portland and fly out to NC on Friday! I will definitely report back after the trip. I may be making one more change to our itinerary after my wife mentioned last night that a friend told her to call him about "some bird course" as she put it.

I can only assume she means Quail Hollow. Normally way out of the way, but we are flying through Charlotte.

Yes, please report when you get back! Looking forward to it

H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

B - Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, reporting back from my trip. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next couple days.

The only change we made to the posted itinerary was instead of playing Tobacco Rd again, we drove back to Pinehurst and played #5.

Overall we had an excellent trip. We had mostly great weather, and we loved the feel of the village. We did stay 2 nights in chain hotels, both (Hampton and Residence Inn) were very nice, but I'm really glad we stayed at the Holly and got to experience sitting out with a drink at sunset, and biking over to the Carolina for the breakfast buffet (much better than the one at the Holly). If you get a chance, spend a couple nights at the resort, or one of the hotels in the village.

Southern Pines - Perfect place to start your Pinehurst experience, great value for $40 and the greens were in great shape. The fairways and tees were a little rough, but we weren't disappointed at all. Great routing, and amazingly wasn't busy on Sat morning. We played in a shade over 3 hours.

Pinehurst #8 - This might have been my favorite routing that we played at the resort. Lots of difference between the front 9 and the back, and many interested holes and some tough green complexes. There was a college tournament going on, but not in our way and the course was set up hard. Probably the best overall conditions at the resort.

Pinehurst #4 - Beautiful course, in very good shape though some of the rough is still recovering. Lots and lots of pot bunkers. I didn't find it quite as interesting as #8, but my brother preferred 4 to 8.

Pinehurst #2 - I love the remodel, it's very visually different now. The waste areas are very playable, but it's a crapshoot. I found the greens at the resort overall to be slow compared to what I'm used to, but they were really slow at #2. If you are in the area, you might wait until next fall or spring to get the experience. If you are traveling there to play it though, they are in beautiful shape, just slow. For some reason all week I had trouble making the adjustment. If you go and get a caddy, ask for Patrick. He was the best caddy I've had and he's been there 11 years. Great guy.

Tobacco Rd - We were running late and ran from the car to the first tee. Not the ideal way to start a round here. It definitely screws with you visually off the tee. I drove the ball great all week, so I wasn't in too much trouble, though I struggled to score here, I 3 putted several of the greens. I wouldn't say I loved it or hated it, I need to play it again before I pass final judgement. It was definitely a taxing round of golf, as you constantly feel like disaster is lurking if you don't commit to your shot. We walked here as well, definitely the toughest walk of the week, and probably contributed to our decision to pass on the replay (I'd rather have played it on back to back days than twice in a day).

#5 - Greens are perfect. It's not as exciting as the big name courses here, but it's not a pushover. While the greens are less severe, most of the holes are lined with houses and you have OB on both sides. It was a relaxing round that was just what we needed after Tobacco Rd, and there are several great holes here (10 and 11 were my favorites, as well as 15.)

Dormie Club - Easily one of the 10 best I've played. The course would have been perfect if not for some issues they are having with the grass they used for the collars on a few holes. But the greens, fairways, and tees were all pristine. Greens were fast and true, much better than any others we played. Routing is great, you rarely see another hole, and there are so many remarkable holes. Anyone in the area who hasn't played it should do so immediately. Our caddie here was very good too, in fact it was Jimmy G who is not only the father of our Pinehurst #2 caddie, but also runners Greenreadernow.com. As soon as I walked off Dormie, I wanted to go right back to the first tee and play it again.

Aside from the golf, we didn't have time for much except eating. Because our package included dinner and breakfast we ate mostly at the resort. We preferred the casual Ryder Cup lounge to the 1895 grill (good food, slow service, weak dessert). Loved the breakfast at the Carolina, and enjoyed lunch in the Donald Ross grill. Also everyone should make sure to have a beer on the porch and watch people finish on #2.

We did chip at the Pinecrest Inn, but ate over at Dugan's Pub (not bad). And Jimmy took us over to Maxie's for lunch, which was fabulous (it's over near #8).

It was a great experience, despite my pathetic play on the putting surfaces all week, and I wish I could do it again. I wouldn't say it tops Bandon, but it's a very different experience, and I really loved the overall vibe of the resort.

I only had a couple complaints. First, #2 is overpriced at $275, and even more so when you add $100 for a caddy. It's not as good as many courses that charge half that. But it does have a great deal of history, and they did a great job on the restoration. I'm sure when I return I'll play it again, despite my complaint.

Second, their billing department kind of sucks, they accidentally charged me an extra $1000 and I still haven't been able to get in touch with anyone to fix it. It took 30 minutes to get the bill straight, and they still did that. Sheesh.

And my biggest complaint, you feel nickel and dimed at the main clubhouse. While this is the case at most resorts, it seemed worse here. One guy takes your clubs from your car, another loads them on the cart, another cleans them, another takes them back up, another loads them in the shuttle, yet another unloads them, etc. You could easily spend 20 bucks getting your clubs to and from the course! Other than that of course the prices for everything are fairly high, but that is to be expected.

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1304026704' post='3194219']
Okay, reporting back from my trip. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next couple days.

The only change we made to the posted itinerary was instead of playing Tobacco Rd again, we drove back to Pinehurst and played #5.

Overall we had an excellent trip. We had mostly great weather, and we loved the feel of the village. We did stay 2 nights in chain hotels, both (Hampton and Residence Inn) were very nice, but I'm really glad we stayed at the Holly and got to experience sitting out with a drink at sunset, and biking over to the Carolina for the breakfast buffet (much better than the one at the Holly). If you get a chance, spend a couple nights at the resort, or one of the hotels in the village.

Southern Pines - Perfect place to start your Pinehurst experience, great value for $40 and the greens were in great shape. The fairways and tees were a little rough, but we weren't disappointed at all. Great routing, and amazingly wasn't busy on Sat morning. We played in a shade over 3 hours.

Pinehurst #8 - This might have been my favorite routing that we played at the resort. Lots of difference between the front 9 and the back, and many interested holes and some tough green complexes. There was a college tournament going on, but not in our way and the course was set up hard. Probably the best overall conditions at the resort.

Pinehurst #4 - Beautiful course, in very good shape though some of the rough is still recovering. Lots and lots of pot bunkers. I didn't find it quite as interesting as #8, but my brother preferred 4 to 8.

Pinehurst #2 - I love the remodel, it's very visually different now. The waste areas are very playable, but it's a crapshoot. I found the greens at the resort overall to be slow compared to what I'm used to, but they were really slow at #2. If you are in the area, you might wait until next fall or spring to get the experience. If you are traveling there to play it though, they are in beautiful shape, just slow. For some reason all week I had trouble making the adjustment. If you go and get a caddy, ask for Patrick. He was the best caddy I've had and he's been there 11 years. Great guy.

Tobacco Rd - We were running late and ran from the car to the first tee. Not the ideal way to start a round here. It definitely screws with you visually off the tee. I drove the ball great all week, so I wasn't in too much trouble, though I struggled to score here, I 3 putted several of the greens. I wouldn't say I loved it or hated it, I need to play it again before I pass final judgement. It was definitely a taxing round of golf, as you constantly feel like disaster is lurking if you don't commit to your shot. We walked here as well, definitely the toughest walk of the week, and probably contributed to our decision to pass on the replay (I'd rather have played it on back to back days than twice in a day).

#5 - Greens are perfect. It's not as exciting as the big name courses here, but it's not a pushover. While the greens are less severe, most of the holes are lined with houses and you have OB on both sides. It was a relaxing round that was just what we needed after Tobacco Rd, and there are several great holes here (10 and 11 were my favorites, as well as 15.)

Dormie Club - Easily one of the 10 best I've played. The course would have been perfect if not for some issues they are having with the grass they used for the collars on a few holes. But the greens, fairways, and tees were all pristine. Greens were fast and true, much better than any others we played. Routing is great, you rarely see another hole, and there are so many remarkable holes. Anyone in the area who hasn't played it should do so immediately. Our caddie here was very good too, in fact it was Jimmy G who is not only the father of our Pinehurst #2 caddie, but also runners Greenreadernow.com. As soon as I walked off Dormie, I wanted to go right back to the first tee and play it again.

Aside from the golf, we didn't have time for much except eating. Because our package included dinner and breakfast we ate mostly at the resort. We preferred the casual Ryder Cup lounge to the 1895 grill (good food, slow service, weak dessert). Loved the breakfast at the Carolina, and enjoyed lunch in the Donald Ross grill. Also everyone should make sure to have a beer on the porch and watch people finish on #2.

We did chip at the Pinecrest Inn, but ate over at Dugan's Pub (not bad). And Jimmy took us over to Maxie's for lunch, which was fabulous (it's over near #8).

It was a great experience, despite my pathetic play on the putting surfaces all week, and I wish I could do it again. I wouldn't say it tops Bandon, but it's a very different experience, and I really loved the overall vibe of the resort.

I only had a couple complaints. First, #2 is overpriced at $275, and even more so when you add $100 for a caddy. It's not as good as many courses that charge half that. But it does have a great deal of history, and they did a great job on the restoration. I'm sure when I return I'll play it again, despite my complaint.

Second, their billing department kind of sucks, they accidentally charged me an extra $1000 and I still haven't been able to get in touch with anyone to fix it. It took 30 minutes to get the bill straight, and they still did that. Sheesh.

And my biggest complaint, you feel nickel and dimed at the main clubhouse. While this is the case at most resorts, it seemed worse here. One guy takes your clubs from your car, another loads them on the cart, another cleans them, another takes them back up, another loads them in the shuttle, yet another unloads them, etc. You could easily spend 20 bucks getting your clubs to and from the course! Other than that of course the prices for everything are fairly high, but that is to be expected.
[/quote]

Most excellent report and assessment of the courses......

Part of the reason some of the fairways were not quite right, we are still going through the winter to summer grass transition........ its not unusual this time of the year for some fairways to be patchy and areas around the green to need some winter kill replacement.

Your timing is about 3 weeks away from all the area courses being absolutely perfect. Nice write up and I think you couldn't have been any more fair or accurate with your descriptions.

[quote name='OneBowTie' timestamp='1304028029' post='3194266']
[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1304026704' post='3194219']

[/quote]

Most excellent report and assessment of the courses......

Part of the reason some of the fairways were not quite right, we are still going through the winter to summer grass transition........ its not unusual this time of the year for some fairways to be patchy and areas around the green to need some winter kill replacement.

Your timing is about 3 weeks away from all the area courses being absolutely perfect. Nice write up and I think you couldn't have been any more fair or accurate with your descriptions.
[/quote]

Thanks for the great writeup and fantastic info. We are headed down in about 3 weeks, so I'm really glad to hear that the courses should be "perfect" by then. Group of 12 of us, starting with Southern Pines, Firefox E/W then Tobacco Road. Since we are getting there on Friday and not playing til Sat afternoon, going to try and pick up another course for sure. Do you remember what you paid at Dormie Club? I doubt that we'll actually try and get on the resort courses, although I'd love to. We'll definitely visit as we are staying at the St Andrews house on the resort.

H - 22° CLK 2020 
Tensei CK Blue 80

B - Titleist Pro V1