2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping bag - which do you use?

Hey fellas,

What bag are you using and how many clubs do you have in it? How is the stability? Give all your good and negatives about it please!

Im currently using a Ping 4-under but im going to return it, I have a full set of clubs in it, and I had to change the "black little plate" to make the "legs" go back instead of hanging down. I think its a great bag, it got everything, but not for a full set of clubs, its too weak :( Or maybe its just my bag that the "legs" dont go back fully.. :(

And since I changed the "black little plate" the "legs" are not going out as much which makes the stability of the bag not as good.

So im going to return it and hopefully they will let me change to a bigger bag.. So what recommendations do you have?

Im using a full set of PING so Im sticking with a Ping bag. :)

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the first Latitude bag, 13 Ping G/i15 clubs, 1 odyssey two ball putter (1,3,7w,23*hybrid,5-LW, Putter) and I like it, though I wish it were a few inches larger in regards to circumference. Something closer to my old i3 Ping tour staff bag, the one with my name on it, LOL.

It is still a tad bit cramped getting the clubs out like all of these Ping carry bags are, but the 2 dividers are nice and seem to do their job well, and there is an individual well/sleeve for your putter, more on that. Plenty of pockets, ALLOT of pockets and features that are very nice, removable ball pocket, very nice umbrella holder, a velcro patch to stick your glove, nice pocket to put a range finder, valuables, towel ring, etc. I think it even has a good sized cooler pocket... I carry a small cooler with me on the hot days, or a chest cooler to the range, so I do not use the one in the bag for my Gatorade or water, so not an issue for me, but it is there. And, I don't "carry" a bag, I'll use a hand cart to walk or ride depending on the course and or weather (temp). I value what is left of my back, I ain't got nothing to prove.

The strap system too, works as advertised. It has the dual straps with one that retracts when you set the bag down. It is a nice feature that works without a hitch. And it also has a nice molded carry handle, for taking it in and out of the car, etc.

The legs also work as advertised, they fold up nicely, no splaying or dangling when retracted and pop out as they are supposed to. I have found no issues with them that would warrant me doing any work on the bag or returning it. One thing I do like about the Latitude, is that when the stand is in use, it is easier to get the clubs in and out than the Hoofers, which tend to grip the club shafts in the bottom of the bag when the legs are out. At least that is how my old Hoofer bag was, maybe it is fixed on the new models. The Latitude does not seem to have this problem, but the clubs still tangle a bit, but nothing weird if you know what I mean.

Yesterday, I went out and had a Super Stroke Lite Fatso grip installed on my odyssey putter, and of course it will not fit in the putter well of the Latitude bag. Not a big deal, I just put my driver in the putter well and called it all good, plenty of room in the woods well for the new putter grip and two fairway woods, and my G15 driver fits nicely in the putter well, no issues pulling it out. In regards to the Latitude putter well on the first version, anything larger than your standard sized putter grip and it will not fit. So, I imagine that it is the same on the Latitude 2, just thought I would let you know.

Yes, I like this Latitude bag, but do I love it? No. Honestly, I want another staff bag and looked at the T9.5 consumer bag yesterday. I called Ping in Arizona and talked with a few different guys two days ago in regards to the staff bags. They are two different bags, though the photos make them look identical other than all of the tour badges on the tour model and the funky side panels. So, I looked at the consumer model yesterday, that is all they had, and honestly was not impressed with the quality, it actually seemed cheap compared to my old i3 Ping staff bag. But, this was the bag, consumer staff bag, that at least two of the guys answering the phones at Ping said they were presently using. What I did like about the new staff bags, is the fact that the large back pocket where one would put their name or company logo does remove easily if one wanted to take it to a screen printer or embroidery shop to personalize the bag. I'm goofy like that...

I also looked at the cart bags, and found them much nicer in person than the pics on the internet, but I really do not care much for the individual club style top, as there is no way I would be able to put my Fatso grip putter in there, I would have to clip it to the side of my bag. Ain't going there, I can see my putter lying on a course somewhere as I am making my way home.

But, if I was to recommend a Ping carry bag, I think I would say the Latitude V2 would be my first choice, especially if you carry a bit of gear and or even rain suit. My second choice would be the Hoofer, not as many pockets, but still a classic Ping bag. If you carry, I would say the Hoofer, as it is a bit lighter than the Latitude 2, especially if you don't like the 4Under.

There is my .02, I hope I helped. It's early and I've only had less than a cup of coffee and less than my usual sleep... My little buddy Sammy (sheltie) needed outside... Came in crying at 4:30 am, DAD, I gotta PEE! And I was sleeping so good.. Kids!

Here is a photo from last year of the Latitude with 14 clubs...

[attachment=768996:Ping Venture.JPG]

Lovely reply man! :)

That sums up all my questions I guess, I will go for the Latitude v2 / Venture v2, I was thinking about either going for a tour bag and get myself some wheels but I like to carry around my gear, and since im young i'll probably do just fine with the Latitude v2 since it got some nice features over the hoofer. :)

Hoofer must be really awesome as well then but the Latitude seems to be the overhand. :)

Hopefully some shop around here will have both of them so I can have good look, but seems like you would recommend both, so either choice seems to be really nice. :)

I have 2.

Ping 4 Under: I just got it, I love it, Super light. I dislike how the clubs jam in it but, I like the weight too much to switch.

Now I'm using a Ping Hoofer Extreme for school. Not a bad bag. Holds up well. Weird divider design.

Taylormade Stealth 8.5* Kuro Kage TINI 60X

Titleist 917F3 15* AV RAW WHITE

Titleist T300 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X

Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x

Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic

[quote name='PingGolfer95' timestamp='1303296267' post='3170081']
I have 2.

Ping 4 Under: I just got it, I love it, Super light. I dislike how the clubs jam in it but, I like the weight too much to switch.

Now I'm using a Ping Hoofer Extreme for school. Not a bad bag. Holds up well. Weird divider design.
[/quote]

But wouldnt you recommend the hoofer over the 4-under?

Havent you gotten problems with the "standfeet"? That you had to bring up the "black-plate" between the legs for it to go back to normal when you lift the bag up? :)
I think the stability is really bad :(

[quote name='PINGlover' timestamp='1303295576' post='3170075']
Lovely reply man! :)

That sums up all my questions I guess, I will go for the Latitude v2 / Venture v2, I was thinking about either going for a tour bag and get myself some wheels but I like to carry around my gear, and since im young i'll probably do just fine with the Latitude v2 since it got some nice features over the hoofer. :)

Hoofer must be really awesome as well then but the Latitude seems to be the overhand. :)

Hopefully some shop around here will have both of them so I can have good look, but seems like you would recommend both, so either choice seems to be really nice. :)
[/quote]

I fixed the post, I don't know why I said Venture, I have the Latitude. The Venture is a Ping bag, the one that normally sports the college names, which I have never seen in person. To early, brain still down when I typed the above. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

As far as which is better, the Latitude V2 or Hoofer, I think it will pretty much boil down to weight vs storage, along with if you plan to walk an entire course with it strapped to your back. If I was walking, carrying a bag, I think I would have a moon bag and carry a driver, 1 23* - 25* hybrid, 8 iron, 52 or 56 degree wedge and my putter. I think that would easily get me around a course with ease without ruining my walk.

Mike

I'm using a Ping Hoofer C1. Picked it up this winter, and so far I've used it for 27 holes.

It is a very comfortable bag to carry. I like that I can switch between one and two straps. This was a big selling point for me.

What I don't like is that it can be hard to get clubs in. I have 14 clubs (with one extra wrap on the grips) and a ball retriever, . I have to wonder how this got through the design phase, or is it only intended to be carried with fewer clubs?

Overall a nice bag, but when I purchase my next bag, I'm not sure I'll get another Ping.

[quote name='Jigga' timestamp='1303869541' post='3188778']
I have a Latitude V2 and I hate it. Probably the worst bag I have ever owned. The legs droop when retracted and the clubs are a real pain in the a** to get in. Umbrella seems to just float out there and isn't secured at all.. Wish I could return it. A real POS.
[/quote]

Hey man, that is whats happend to me as well with my Ping 4under, the legs will drop when retracted.. That is why I gave it back and hopefully will get the money to buy a new bag.. I will probably try the Latitude V2, and hopefully it wont be as bad to me as it is to you =)

How long have you had yours?

Did you try to move the little "brick" between the legs?

Cheers

I had a serious problem with the Lattitude V2, my putter got stuck in the bag!!!! Somehow the separator material got frayed, developed a "hole", or something so I spent like 15 mins on the course trying to get the damn putter out. The solution was simple, just insert a tube into the putter section of the V2. Wallah! Other than that, I've loaded my bag with up to 16 clubs, umbrellas and all and it handles it pretty well.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1304399651' post='3203998']
I had a serious problem with the Lattitude V2, my putter got stuck in the bag!!!! Somehow the separator material got frayed, developed a "hole", or something so I spent like 15 mins on the course trying to get the damn putter out. The solution was simple, just insert a tube into the putter section of the V2. Wallah! Other than that, I've loaded my bag with up to 16 clubs, umbrellas and all and it handles it pretty well.
[/quote]

What kind of tube did you get for this?

I really like the Latitude v2 actually, but I don't use the putter well at all because of how it sticks (rubs against the side pocket and if there's anything in there it will stick). Frankly I just put the putter with the driver/3-wood in the top section so it's not a big deal, just wondering how the tube worked out. Did it make it much heavier?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cruisers' timestamp='1304436331' post='3204621']
[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1304399651' post='3203998']
[/quote]

What kind of tube did you get for this?

I really like the Latitude v2 actually, but I don't use the putter well at all because of how it sticks (rubs against the side pocket and if there's anything in there it will stick). Frankly I just put the putter with the driver/3-wood in the top section so it's not a big deal, just wondering how the tube worked out. Did it make it much heavier?
[/quote]

Just the same tubes that you post/mail with. It weighs next to nothing. I was thinking about buying one from RD but what the heck, the poster tube was nice and wide and a perfect fit for the putter slot. I did cut it down slightly so that it didn't show when the bag was on stand. Oh, make sure the bottom end is capped.

It works magnificently, the putter is so easy-in-and-out. I really like it because the putter well has an opening for the blade and it keeps it from being banged up by the wedges.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

[quote name='MCCA' timestamp='1305671680' post='3242481']
Well I just picked up this Ping Hoofer C-1, I will give a review this week as to the ease of use & workability on the course.
[/quote]

Nice to see a DET!!! :ok:

Ive just got the Ping DLX cart bag.... wow.... its great. Had the Hoofer C-1 for the first half of this year but sold it as i now use a push trolley (or cart for you Yanks :p )

The Hoofer was not a bad bag but i didnt really like the divider but you cant have everything... pockets and stand were very good.

Ping Anser 10.5 Reg
Ping G 5 Wood @ 18.5
Ping Rapture 2 Iron
Ping G30 hybrid 22 degree
Ping G30 hybrid 26 degree
Ping I20 6-UW. Silver dot, PX 5.5,
TM spider Ghost.
Ping Glide 1.0 54* SS. Silver dot.
Ping Gorge 60* SS. Yellow dot.

• 1 month later...

I bought the Latitude and boy am I pleased. My 4-under bag was weak and this is the beast. I load it up with everything and it feels so much better. The only bad thing is that the legs dont have any "stable stuff on the end". I guess you can just buy two plastic thingies and put on there and I will. :) But overall I recommend that bag, its amazing!

[quote name='Ping33' timestamp='1303291619' post='3170050']
Yesterday, I went out and had a Super Stroke Lite Fatso grip installed on my odyssey putter, and of course it will not fit in the putter well of the Latitude bag. Not a big deal, I just put my driver in the putter well and called it all good, plenty of room in the woods well for the new putter grip and two fairway woods, and my G15 driver fits nicely in the putter well, no issues pulling it out. In regards to the Latitude putter well on the first version, anything larger than your standard sized putter grip and it will not fit.
[/quote]

I was curious about the Fatso grip and where people put it in their bag. I would bet that it even crowds a big staff bag. Thanks for the info.