Best major?

NikeTaylormade891

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy call for me: The Masters.

First of all, I love Augusta National. To me its the seat of this great game (shared with St. Andrews) that is so meaningful to me and has changed my life in so many positive ways. If my golf course is my temple, Augusta National is my Jerusalem. I love The Masters because of the continuity of always having it played on the same course and because it is the first major of the year, at a time when I'm just out of my winter golf hibernation and feeling the worst of my golf withdrawal and am all amped up to watch a major.

The Open, its the way golf was intended to be played and on some of the original courses developed for play. I love it when the Open is played at St. Andrews the old course. So much history, so many legends walked those same fairways and greens.

On years when the Open Championship is played at St. Andrews it is as good as the Masters.

I have to say the US Open because anyone can go qualify if you have the game. Not always crazy about course set up when they get crazy with it.

The course set up is what I don't like about the US Open. The Masters and the R&A don't feel they need to kill the players to have a fair test. And for me, its more fun to watch a major where some birdies and eagles happen.

Masters or U.S Open

for some reason the Cameras and quality of the broadcast seem worse during the British open... and PGA championship is just never as exciting... I like the Masters because of how they broadcast and the fact that its always at the same course and its a course that the average golf fan knows every hole and how it should be played... It just makes you feel like a part of the action.

I have to say the US Open because anyone can go qualify if you have the game. Not always crazy about course set up when they get crazy with it.

Is that actually true ??? I certainly know i can't for instance as a UK resident,and as a low handicap am - however ive tried to qualify for The Open numerous times.Anyway ANYBODY can enter THE Open irrelavent of Nationality,which is exactly why it is possibly THE one to win.Win that and youve beaten the World - not just a select field......

The Open or the Masters for me are the ones to watch.Both get great commentary here in the UK in the hands of Peter Alliss and as a Brit,The Open is dear to my heart.

The Masters is great viewing and of course being held on a visually stunning course,and one which im unlikely to ever play makes it even more alluring.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Just one thing,its NOT "The British Open" as it says on the poll - its: The Open.As inscribed on the Claret jug :cheesy:

Understand your point but surely calling it by its righful and proper name would be less confusing ?

Im not trying to cause any conflict,but no-one in the UK calls your Open the American Open ........

Understand your point but surely calling it by its righful and proper name would be less confusing ?

Im not trying to cause any conflict,but no-one in the UK calls your Open the American Open ........

Touchy touchy. Here in the US it is very regularly referred to as the British Open. But you can call the US Open anything you'd like.

Here in the US it is very regularly referred to as the British Open

My point entirely :cheesy:

If you think im some old stickler,from some small windswept island way east off the shores of Florida then im not offended.But if you truly would like to learn one fact of golf today,then be aware its The Open because of the facts: It is truly THE open,in that anyone can enter if their proven record of golf is good enough irrelavant of colour,creed,race or nationality.Its also The Open due to the fact,that its actually whats enscribed on the Claret jug.

The fact whoever calls it otherwise,doesnt and wont change that.It isnt,hasnt and wont ever be the British Open.

US Open, no question.

I love watching these guys struggle and squirm and gag once a year. To me major tournaments like the PGA shouldn't be yielding birdies like the Greater Milwaukee Open. Eighteen under shouldn't win a major even if it is TW who shoots it.

The only time in recent years the USGA went overboard was by not watering Shinnecock enough in 2006. Winged Foot this year was perfect - brutal but fair to everyone. I look forward every year to hearing these babies - who make their living by playing a game - bellyache about the course setup at the US Open.

I also love "The Open" when the weather starts acting up. The Masters is great but the way they force CBS to cover it gets to be a bit much. "Patrons." Gimme a break!

Here in the US it is very regularly referred to as the British Open

My point entirely :cheesy:

If you think im some old stickler,from some small windswept island way east off the shores of Florida then im not offended.But if you truly would like to learn one fact of golf today,then be aware its The Open because of the facts: It is truly THE open,in that anyone can enter if their proven record of golf is good enough irrelavant of colour,creed,race or nationality.Its also The Open due to the fact,that its actually whats enscribed on the Claret jug.

The fact whoever calls it otherwise,doesnt and wont change that.It isnt,hasnt and wont ever be the British Open.

You know, the same goes for the US Open as far as qualifying. Anyone can enter a sectional qualifier and if they place they proceed to regional then the Open.

Augusta, without a doubt! The Masters is such a fantastic tournament, the course always looks beautiful, and it seems like there is always a couple great stories to pay attention to. The fact that it is played on the same course every year makes it all that much better, plus, it is the first major of the year...and its usually raining here in Oregon, so i can sit inside and watch some fantastic golf!

This is interesting. I am American, and I always refer to The Open as The Open Championship. However, I just returned from the U.K., where I was watching the PGA Championship, which was regularly referred to on the SkySports broadcast (in print, logo and orally) and nearly everywhere I saw/heard as the "U.S. PGA Championship." I think this is done to distinguish it from the former Volvo PGA Championship of the European Tour (now the BMW Championship and used to be the British PGA Championship). But just as the technically correct name for the British Open is The Open Championship, the technically correct name for the US PGA Championship (the one sponsored by the PGA of America) is simply the PGA Championship. The point is that folks in the UK are equally guilty of mis-naming of majors, and it's all just done because of how locals on both sides of the pond associate tournaments with names.

The Masters is the start of the golf season for me, so holds a special place, but the Open is the one. Plus I go there every year, so it has a particular interest to me.

sevenfourate, I'm with you. There is only one "The Open Championship".

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant