General consensus on new Titleist stuff...

EdmontonGolfer

Just wondering if there is a general opinion on which shaft that comes with the 906F and the 585H that would be an overall best buy. These clubs are now out in Canada and I want to buy one of each. I know there have been other threads talking about how the V2 has been playing really stiff in the 906F but obviously I haven't tried it for myself.

Does anyone think this topic is a matter of opinion or would there be one shaft to look at more closely in either club?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really can't wait to try the 906f and 585h. was disappointed with the 905R, 735, and 755. suprised by all the complaints on the v2 shaft being stiff. funny, its awesome in the 905R and bad in the 906F.

for me, they made up for some a disappointing driver and irons.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I am currently using a V2 in my 905R, a Pro95 in my 906f's and a V2 in one 585 and a Speeder 904 in the other 585.

I like the driver combo and love the 906 and 585 set ups.

I would stick with the V2 in the driver , that is what i have been hearing is having the best results. I am pleased with mine so far.

V2 in the fw is not doing well from what i hear, i would recommend the Pro 95 or possibly a VS proto in the 906.

And i would try the V2 in the 585 as well, or possibly the VS Proto .

These are the shafts that i am hearing are working for most people, no guarantee, just giving what i have heard from the people i know that are using the Titleist clubs.

"General consensus on new Titleist stuff..."

Its not in the UK yet ! You guys dont realise how hard it is for a UK ho on a US site !

I cant wait to try the new 585.H

JHR seems to have got the general concensus spot-on :idhitit:

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

I've just moved to an all Titleist bag, so I can provide a limited review of these items:

905R - has been in the bag since it was originally released. Purchased with a V2 and hated it after a single round. Replaced it with a Harrison 2.5 70 gram S/X flex (the electric blue shaft Els was playing in the spring) and absolutely love this combo. This is a $60 shaft and one of the best IMO, even compared to high dollar shafts like Speeders, Rombax, Diamana, etc., all of which I've hit.

906F2 - I have the 15 degree and absolutely love the shape, square face angle and depth on this head. Again, this club has a Harrison 2.5 shaft, the 80 gram version, S/X flex, inserted using a blind bore so it plays true to flex. Trajectory is mid with a very boring ball flight. Great from a tee or the turf. Overall a very versatile 3 wood.

585H - I have the 17 degree and just had it reshafted today with a VS Proto Hybrid - 80 S. It feels a bit light, so I may add lead tape to the head or have the shaft pulled and add a weight plug. Prior to the VS Proto, I had an X100 in there and didn't care for that combo. It just felt too heavy for a hybrid. Again, a very nice setup in terms of square face. Sound and feel are great off this head, just as they are with the 905R and 906F2.

755 irons - I just received my set this week and had one range session with them. They have a very nice head shape, not too big but not quite as small looking as the 695 series. Offset is exactly what I want, and topline inspires confidence without being bulky. Shots feel very solid off the club. However, I ordered these with S300 shafts when I probably need X100 or something else a bit stronger. I'm thinking about installing Black Gold S flex hardstepped once like I have in my TM 300 irons. I really like the Black Gold shafts and have an extra set, therefore I didn't pay the upcharge in my order.

X77 stand bag - just arrived today. Awesome bag in black / platinum. Replaces the current X67 bag in the Titleist lineup.

As you can see I'm very excited about the rest of 2006 with my Titleist equipment. I've always liked their drivers and fairway woods, but this is my first time playing the irons. From what I've experienced so far, things look good!

Good luck!

I am currently using a V2 in my 905R, a Pro95 in my 906f's and a V2 in one 585 and a Speeder 904 in the other 585.

I like the driver combo and love the 906 and 585 set ups.

I would stick with the V2 in the driver , that is what i have been hearing is having the best results. I am pleased with mine so far.

V2 in the fw is not doing well from what i hear, i would recommend the Pro 95 or possibly a VS proto in the 906.

And i would try the V2 in the 585 as well, or possibly the VS Proto .

These are the shafts that i am hearing are working for most people, no guarantee, just giving what i have heard from the people i know that are using the Titleist clubs.

Thanks for the input. It's always nice to hear from someone with the info that you always have.

The one thing that would make the situation a little easier is if Titleist clubs weren't such a pain in the butt to reshaft. I know there are a limited number of people who want to touch them because of the bore-thru design. :idhitit:

I've just moved to an all Titleist bag, so I can provide a limited review of these items:

905R - has been in the bag since it was originally released. Purchased with a V2 and hated it after a single round. Replaced it with a Harrison 2.5 70 gram S/X flex (the electric blue shaft Els was playing in the spring) and absolutely love this combo. This is a $60 shaft and one of the best IMO, even compared to high dollar shafts like Speeders, Rombax, Diamana, etc., all of which I've hit.

906F2 - I have the 15 degree and absolutely love the shape, square face angle and depth on this head. Again, this club has a Harrison 2.5 shaft, the 80 gram version, S/X flex, inserted using a blind bore so it plays true to flex. Trajectory is mid with a very boring ball flight. Great from a tee or the turf. Overall a very versatile 3 wood.

585H - I have the 17 degree and just had it reshafted today with a VS Proto Hybrid - 80 S. It feels a bit light, so I may add lead tape to the head or have the shaft pulled and add a weight plug. Prior to the VS Proto, I had an X100 in there and didn't care for that combo. It just felt too heavy for a hybrid. Again, a very nice setup in terms of square face. Sound and feel are great off this head, just as they are with the 905R and 906F2.

755 irons - I just received my set this week and had one range session with them. They have a very nice head shape, not too big but not quite as small looking as the 695 series. Offset is exactly what I want, and topline inspires confidence without being bulky. Shots feel very solid off the club. However, I ordered these with S300 shafts when I probably need X100 or something else a bit stronger. I'm thinking about installing Black Gold S flex hardstepped once like I have in my TM 300 irons. I really like the Black Gold shafts and have an extra set, therefore I didn't pay the upcharge in my order.

X77 stand bag - just arrived today. Awesome bag in black / platinum. Replaces the current X67 bag in the Titleist lineup.

As you can see I'm very excited about the rest of 2006 with my Titleist equipment. I've always liked their drivers and fairway woods, but this is my first time playing the irons. From what I've experienced so far, things look good!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. :idhitit:

Its not in the UK yet ! You guys dont realise how hard it is for a UK ho on a US site !

I cant wait to try the new 585.H

JHR seems to have got the general concensus spot-on :idhitit:

Glad to see the Titleist range came out in Australia before the UK !!!! Hah!!!

I went to a demo night last week and tried all the irons, woods and the hybrid. I like the 905R with V2 but hate it with Aldila. The 906F2 didn't work for me with the Aldila shaft either. I think it would work fine with a DG steel in it. I didn't think the 906F2 was any better than the 904, so I wouldn't change. The 585H rawks!! I prefer the "heft" of steel but it works fine in 100gram V2.

As for the irons, I hated the feel of the 755's with the stock steel shaft. Why on earth didn't they stick with DG???? I hit moon balls with them. Side by side with the 735CM's, the flight was 50% higher for me with the 755's. They look similar at address, but the 755 have noticeably more offset. They seem taller too. I'll keep an eye out for a set of 704CB's when it comes time to upgrade... Shame about the dorky red insert on them too...