2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bulle Rock in Havre de Grace MD

Anyone played the course?
So I'm pretty much set on moving to California next Spring or early summer. I've been looking at Real Estate, scouting jobs, deciding where to live.

One thing I want to do before I leave is play as many of the "must play" courses in the area as I can. I recently played Bella Vista and Turtle Creek. I hope to play Hartefeld National before the season is done. I might not get to play Blue Heron Pines East, it's closing. :D And hopefully some Wrx'ers will want to play Scotland Run before it closes for the season! :cheesy:

Bulle Rock continues to rank very highly in Golf Digests Top 100 you can play list. It's only about 1.5 hours from me. Who's played the course? Is it worth $145?

Thanks, I look forward to your input, as always!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played it and it's fantastic.

We played Bulle Rock a week before the McDonalds LPGA...it was in amazing shape. It was also real cool to play while the bleachers were up/going up.

I can't highly recommend a caddie or forecaddie---our guy didn't do much. But the course is magnificent, the greens are slick and beautiful, so if for no other reason than the experience of playing a major (LPGA) venue, you've got to give it a go. Definitely worth the $150 (I've spent a little less and gotten a LOT less...).

^^True, I played Ko Olina in Hawai'i (site of an LPGA event) and it was $160. Very nice track, interesting holes, but the conditioning was just so-so. Even though I am a high handicapper, I appreciate good golf course design, and beautiful golf holes. I'd rather shoot 120 on a great course than 72 on a mediocre course, you know?

Sounds like it's a can't-miss. I'll rustle up the guys I played Cobb's Olde course with the other day, and see if they're interested. The website is down right now, any idea when the course closes for the season?

I honestly think the coarse is overrated, ok maybe not overrated but no way is it worth $145. its funny this topic was started cause I had this debate with a guy a work with yesterday. Its in great shape and I think it plays well to the business people and dinners but I think White Clay Creek in DE or Hartfelde in PA are better coarses!!!!!

I honestly think the coarse is overrated, ok maybe not overrated but no way is it worth $145. its funny this topic was started cause I had this debate with a guy a work with yesterday. Its in great shape and I think it plays well to the business people and dinners but I think White Clay Creek in DE or Hartfelde in PA are better coarses!!!!!

Hmmm. I don't get to PA to play golf anymore (I live in No Va). But I'd be interested to read why these 2 courses are better than Bulle Rock....was the condition, the layout, difficulty, service better at either one?

I found Bulle Rock tops in all counts. The layout is good (although Pete Dye has done better), BR can be as difficult as you want (I believe the very back tees will play to 7600+), and the overall service was great. All in all, a real nice experience. As I said in my original post, I've spent a little less money, but didn't get near the experience.

Everthing is relative I guess...to play anywhere 'decent' in my area I'm looking at $100 on a weekend anyway; so $50 extra bucks for the 'Bulle Rock Experience' was worth it.

I live near Bulle Rock and recently heard they lost the greens and had painted them green to look good. The rain shortage ended a few weeks ago so maybe they are back. I would check it before driving 1.5 hours and paying $150. Tom Doak's Beechtree is about 5 miles south of Bulle Rock and IMO more fun to play, cheaper too.

It's a great track. I played it last time I was over in the states (July - I'm in Australia). Played it not long after the LPGA there... I got a lot more respect for female golfers after that!

The rough was rough... pays to keep on the fairways. Having said that, the rough shouldn't be too bad at normal times, other than around the time they play the McDonalds there.

I'll definitley get a lesson on how to play from that type of rough before I play that style of course again... would also pay to have a gallery to find your ball when it gets off the fairway.

Enjoy.

I played Bulle Rock a few years back. Tough track from the tips. I didn't pay for my round, but I think it would be worth the price. I would agree with tddevan that Beechtree for the $ is probably a better track(almost 1/2 of the Rock). If you want to play Beechtree this year, you'd better get on it. I believe they close in late November.

Good Luck.

I think several of Bulle Rock's greens were/are closed and the price is currently lower because of that. If you are going to play in the near future you should definitely call the course to get up to date conditions and pricing. That being said, I think BR is a great course, but wouldn't play it more than once every year or so at $145.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*
3 Wood: Titleist 915f 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19*
Irons: Titleist 716 CB 4-7; 716 MB 8-P
Wedges: Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style

Bulle Rock is a good course, not great course. If you are willing to pay the green fees then you will enjoy it. I play there once a year and it has alwys been in good shape. Hartefeld is in the process of going private. It is a Fazio course that has some interesting holes. Used to have a senior tour event there after it moved from Chester valley. It is very close to Kennett Square Golf and CC, my childhood course. If you want to play it, hurry up before they close it out. The two course are really not that close in distance. If you are playing Bulle Rock you may also want to take a look at Wyncote in Oxford, Pa. It is a "links" or "Scottish" style course. No water around the area but the course has double greens, mounds and that high grass/weeds. I actually enjoy playing that course very much. Big change from my normal courses.

Back to the point, you will enjoy Bulle Rock and don't think about the price. If you are making another trip that way drive a little further and try Wyncote.

Sorry forgot to mention White Clay. Also very nice and very well kept. I have only played there once so my first experience is all I have. I can see White Cly being very difficult for high handicap golfers because of the water. If you are worried about forced carriers then it may not be an enjoyable day. I played with a guy who has trouble breaking 90 and he had an awful day. If he finished out each hole he would have been over 110.

BigD you might want to check out Frog Hollow and Back Creek in Middletown,del if I'm not mistaking on the weekends you can play both for $100.00 w/lunch and they are about 20 minutes away from each other.I've played them both and they are GREAT layouts Frog Hollow a little more tighter.From central new jersey it takes us 1hr and 15 min.Shorter than driving to A.C.

Haven't played in over 2 years.
Still dealing with bladder cancer.I'm in the hands of the VA now.

^^Nope, haven't played much outside of PA/South Jersey. Well, except Hawai'i and Japan.

I love true links-style courses, the only course I know of in this area that's true links golf is McCullough's Emerald near Atlantic City. Though, I hear Twisted Dune and Scotland Run are sorta linksy courses too.

I'll definitely check out the 2 you mentioned! I'd love to get a nice "rotation" of different course styles to play.

If you like the Links stye, then definetly check out Wyncote in Oxford, Pa. I go to Ocean City, NJ often and if you have a choice between Twisted dune and Emerald go with Twisted Dune. It is in MUCH better shape and a just a better course. In my opinion they are not even in the same class. Twisted is far and away the better option if money is not an issue.

Good luck with the trip

Have you played Royal New Kent and it's sister course in the Richmond area? I heard those 2 are incredible. Like playing golf in Irealand.

I think you are referring to Legends Of Stonebridge, which is the sister course of Royal New Kent out in Williamsburg VA. Stonebridge is a more traditional course layout, while RNK is the links style. Both are fantastic. I like both of those courses 25 times better than the golden horseshoe...

Bulle Rock Info, Great golf course, 7 HDCP's shoot 85 from the blue tee's., hit it in the second cut and lose your ball. (double bogey), normally in pretty good shape, the LPGA (McDonalds event) somewhat wore the course out, they just replaced 4-5 greens, a couple of weeks ago, should be back to top notch by October, As a matter of fact the whole facility is rather nice, locker room etc, food is great

See ya burner

If you like the Links stye, then definetly check out Wyncote in Oxford, Pa. I go to Ocean City, NJ often and if you have a choice between Twisted dune and Emerald go with Twisted Dune. It is in MUCH better shape and a just a better course. In my opinion they are not even in the same class. Twisted is far and away the better option if money is not an issue.

Good luck with the trip

I'll definitely try Twisted Dune before the the middle of October. The only thing that intimidated me prior to now is the caddy program. I wanted to improve my game a bit before embarrasing myself in front of a caddy. I feel pretty good about my game now, and I should be able to break 100 easily from the correct set of tees. I'll check out Wyncote as well. I'll keep posting in this forum to see if anyone else wants to play these courses. It's hard for me to get on as a single, and none of my friends play. :cheesy:

NGulhar: I got your PM about Beechtree, and I tried to PM you back. Your box is full or disabled, so I tried to email you, but no luck.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to take a trip to MD and play a round at Beechtree with you! I can certainly interest the wife in a weekend trip, she loves MD crabcakes and Baltimore. Let me know what weekend would be good for you; I can even come down on a weekday if you're available.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Rob

I just happened to notice this post and thought I would put in a reply, having first hand knowledge of both courses. I work at Beechtree and I will say that it is in my opinion the best course in Maryland. Not to take anything away from Bulle Rock, because they have a great facility over there as well, but I think that our golf course has much more character and is more "golfer friendly" then the Rock is. Tom Doak did a fantastic job with the land we have and it is a real treat for anyone to play. If anyone wants to play a GREAT golf course, come and try out Beechtree.