2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Holy Grail of Stand Bags

So I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I can't seem to find a good previous thread on the subject, so hopefully I can either start one or be referred to one.

I'm wondering what is the best stand bag, plain and simple.

I've heard Ogio's have quality control issues, Burtons wear out quickly, I think Sun Mountains are not very good looking, and people complain about clubs getting stuck in the Ping bags. Hearing all that is pretty discouraging, but hopefully someone out there has had a great experience with some stand bag and as is the case most of the time, the negatives are anomolies.

Is there something out there be it made by Titleist, Nike, Ogio, doesn't matter...that you are very satisfied with and doesn't weigh 6lbs?

I've got a Callaway (made by Ogio) that I've had for about 5 years and is on its last legs.

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problems with stand bags are weight and getting the clubs out. For me I have to have a putter well. The hoofer is what alot of people are using but, I prefer the Club Glove Afficando III. They took out a bottom divider to make more room. I haven't given it a test drive yet but, it looks a little better than my original CG. I prefer the CG too cause I can dismantle the whole thing and turn it into a very light weight bag.

SBAF3004Right.jpg

# 100D Nylon

# Military parachute spec PIA-C-7350

# Modified box ripstop weave

# IZZO® dual strap converts to a single strap or removes entirely

# Dual entry rain hood

# Weight fully geared up: 5.6 lbs

# Sunday bag configuration: 4.9 lbs

# Limited 2-year warranty

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Well, I bought an Ogio Edge stand bag at the beginning of this year and I love it. Now, it is slightly heavier than most stand bags, but it has tons of pocket space, the torq strap which works great on carts, zipperless ball pocket, and the rain hood doesn't have to snap around the bag as it just plugs into two holes and is ready to go. I haven't had any problems with durability or anything like that.

So if you don't mind a heavier bag check out the Edge by Ogio.

In my humble opinion, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a quality, durable stand bag.

Dick's sells a line of bags, accessories, and now clothing under the "Acuity" label. The prices are reasonable, and the stuff really doesn't look or feel much different than higher-end stuff. I've used a red and silver Acuity stand bag for 2 years now (I play pretty much year-round, despite the cold weather), and I have had zero complaints with the bag. It's got plenty of storage space without having too many pockets, the material is tough and doesn't show any wear or discoloration, and there are lots of thoughtful touches, like a place for tees, a velvet-lined valuables pocket, and a water bottle with its own sleeve. I think I paid about $50 for it two years ago. Oh, and it's pretty light, too, definitely nothing to worry about lugging around.

Sure, Ping, Ogio, Sun Mountain, they all make GREAT bags. But if you want to give your wallet a break, at least consider the less-expensive brands. You might be surprised!

Heck, the only reason I'm changing to a cart bag is because I got a really sweet Acuity push cart last season, and the stand bag just doesn't fit properly.

I've used mostly PING bags since I started golfing. The Hoofer 2 is an all time favorite and I currently carry a Hoofer Extreme.

I've been searching for another stand bag to add to the mix with very little luck. Most bags are either too heavy or just simply UGLY.

I've posted in several threads regarding my disappointment with the OGIO line and the SHLING bags in particular so I won't rehash that again here.

The ONLY bag I'm waiting on and will buy the minute it's available is the new Nike Sasquatch Tour Carry bag which was introduced in this previous thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47923

Granted, buying a new bag based on some pictures is not guaranteeing that it'll be a great bag or that I'll even like it - but Nike's Tour Air Carry bag from a couple of years ago remains one of my favorite non-Ping bags so they do have a good track record with me.

Anyhow, the thread says that these NIKE bags will be released around Nov/Dec but I have one online retailer stating an October 1st shipping date on these . . . hope they're right!

i recently switched from an old Ogio Dolby to a Titleist x68 (made by Sun Mtn). Although it's 5.3lbs it doesn't feel heavy.

only 4 dividers but the 2 middle ones are separated from the top and bottom ones.

comfortable straps with several configurations based on shoulder width (and nicely padded hip pad).

bottom paddle and legs have rubber on the bottom so they don't slip/splay out when on cement or other slick surfaces (a problem with many stand bags).

plenty of room for stuff (rain gear, snacks, towels, etc.) and an insulated drink pocket.

rain fly is made from same material as the rest of the bag (not the flimsy rain cover typical in stand bags).

don't know if it's the holy grail, but it sure is nice IMHO. i'm sure the '07 models coming out soon will be just as good if not better.

btw, the titleist bags made by sun mtn feel a heck of a lot more stable/durable than the Sun Mtn OEMs. even the stitching looks nicer.

HTH!

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I have been using a DaTrek 'SoLite' stand bag this year...lots of room in the pockets (they are quite large pockets, and I carry a lot of crap, I was a Boy Scout leader for several years, after all :cheesy: ), a strong and secure set of stand legs that have held up well, and it is relatively light (4.8# empty). The shoulder strap mechanism seems to feel light on the shoulders and balances well, and getting clubs in and out is not a problem, with 14 separate slots for clubs.

http://www.golfdiscount.com/Detail.bok?id=1225

but ignore the pricing at that site, I picked mine up for around $55 at the local Target...you should be able to find one around that price if you look around, especially end of season.

The bag has held up well for me, I am out once a week almost exclusively walking while golfing...the few cart rounds that I play I find that this bag does well in a cart, too.

I have used the Acuity stand bag at the start of this season, my stand leg mechanism broke on the course about three weeks after I bought it at Dick's...I got an instore credit on the bag and used the credit for something else, as I had purchased the DaTrek model in the interim. Otherwise that seemed like a fine bag...and I have had good luck with other Acuity products.

2006 Ping Hoofer Extreme....not the 2005 model.

2006 model has the four way top, 2005 model has the eight way top which does not work well.

2006 model has WIDE stand legs, 2005 model has narrow stand legs which do not work well in the wind.

The more I use my 2006 Hoofer extreme, the better I like it. The carry straps (once adjusted correctly) are great. At 4.6 lbs., easy to carry all day. Plenty of room for my extra's.

If I had one small complaint, it would have been nice if there was a zipper divider inside the rear pocket to isolate the water bottle area from the other side as needed...that way items cannot get under the water bottle pocket, and impede the water bottle from entering the pocket.

Bulldog...

I'm wondering what is the best stand bag, plain and simple.I've heard Ogio's have quality control issues

I have to believe that this true about Ogio. I recently bought an Ogio Flight and hadn't had two rounds on it and one of the side pocket zippers started to seperate from the material it was fixed to. I've kept an eye on it and it hasn't gotten any worse but it would be nice to have a bag that you just paid over $200 not to come apart. Aside from that one complaint, IMO, Ogio makes the perfect bag for me. They have put everything exactly where I like it to be on a golf bag.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Ive had a 05 Vaporlite since June and dont have anything bad so say about it. The 05 model IMO was a lot better than the 06. It was pretty much a trade off of two pockets for a small water bottle pocket(there some other small differences but thats the major one). I like having a lot of pockets so i wasnt too pleased about this. Im upgrading to the Exo and I hope i will enjoy it. My most favorite thing about ogios is the woode top. I had a hoofer before my vaporlite and it really pissed me off how clubs would get tangled. Anyway some other bags that look good are the nikes, and some of the taylormades.

I picked up this bag a month ago and I love it. It is the Cleveland Tour Stand bag. its white so that was the only thing that scared me. But on bad weather days i switch to my all Black Titleist stand bag. I had a red white and blue Ogio Woody bag that worked out well. Lot of nice bags coming out. My High School golf team is getting the new Ping Vantage bag and everyone says its nice!!

I have a 2006 Ping Hoofer Extreme which I like. Good divider system, nice straps, light, effective pocket layout and aesthetically pleasing. My only dissapointment is that the quality is down on the Hoofer 3. I would reccomend it though.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I believe if you are talking "holy grail" it is the Ping Hoofer Extreme. In my area for whatever reason all the "players" use em. Not to mention all the high school kids and NCAA Div I schools ( in our area) that practice at our course.

PING, precisely for the reason that just about every high school and college team uses their bags dating back years, does have that unique snob/players' appeal no other bag has.

I wouldn't say the Hoofer Extreme is the Holy Grail of bags, and I do in fact carry one. I've carried a Ping bag most of my golfing life. The Hoofer Extreme is a very nice bag, though not anywhere near perfect...

For starters:

• it needs a putter well
  • the club divider top needs to be made of felt like the Hoofer 2's instead of this cheesy mesh they have now
  • the water bottle pocket is basically an afterthought - no insulation, not anywhere near waterproof or resistant and the contents of the outside pocket almost always seem to prevent you from putting the water bottle in easily
  • full length club dividers aren't the best, clubs to still get twisted sometimes

I'm sure I and many others can think of other improvements to be made. Again, this is from a Hoofer Extreme owner and fan...

i just bought a Cobra stand beg yesterday and its athe best bag that i have. very sturdy.

one of the few stand bags with a hard tube inside the bag like staff bags

no hip/butt padding..basically it looks like a small staff bag and the legs zipper up inside a sleeve securely for the times when you are in a buggy or when you use a pull/push cart

titleist bags are made by sun mountain

callaway bags are made by ogio

ping bags are good and popular but i don't like the top configuration.

nike is also a VERY good choice (made by burton i think?)

i just bought an old ogio vaporlite because i wanted a very light full function bag...3.8lbs, holds a full set but the full length dividers stick a little and the skeleton is pretty flimsy (spine pops out sometimes).

my regular bag is a tag heuer bag made by sun mountain...awesome in every respect except i wish it weighed >5lbs and had a separate putter well.

witb-01.jpg

I just took delivery of a new Callaway TerraFirma X today. Seems like a pretty nice bag. I really like the putter pit feature and back pad. The full dividers are a nice feature. However, the Izzo straps seem sorta rough. Time will tell if the bag is a good performer. Callaway usually brands quality products, so I am confident the bag will provide many years of use. I suggest checking out bags in person at a golf shop, then making a purchase on Ebay. There are some nice bags on Ebay that are marked down in price. My other potential choice was a Mizuno Twister. However, I heard the full length dividers were subject to tearing. I don't know if this is common. Perhaps some Mizuno faithful can comment.

titleist bags are made by sun mountain

callaway bags are made by ogio

ping bags are good and popular but i don't like the top configuration.

nike is also a VERY good choice (made by burton i think?)

i just bought an old ogio vaporlite because i wanted a very light full function bag...3.8lbs, holds a full set but the full length dividers stick a little and the skeleton is pretty flimsy (spine pops out sometimes).

my regular bag is a tag heuer bag made by sun mountain...awesome in every respect except i wish it weighed >5lbs and had a separate putter well.

witb-01.jpg

I love that golf bag. Where did you get it?

Are there any all white Titleist bags? I though I saw one on www.tourspecgolf.com but it's no longer there. Any help is appreciated..thanks

Titleist Japan CBS61 or 51 can sometimes be found on Ebay.....

post-10076-1140716030.jpg

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I have an Ogio Vaporlite 2005, and I think it's great. You can get new one's on eBay for like $60-$70 with shipping. It has the Woode top, full length dividers and plenty of room for a few things, including a light jacket. If you're gonna need full rain gear then you may want something else.

At under 4 lbs I'm still always amazed by how light the bag is when carrying a full set and a dozen balls (with a few extra items, of course).

Plus you already had an Ogio bag that lasted a long time....