Paint Fills

GehenHerzog

Did mine for the first time. Thanks for the tips!

DSC00702.JPG

DSC00703.JPG

DSC00746.JPG

DSC00724.JPG

Did the lower and upper scoring lines on all of the irons and wedges to match my Hawkeye 3-iron:

DSC00731.JPG

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

DSC00670.JPG

DSC00745.JPG

DSC00663.JPG

DSC00730.JPG

D - MyStealth+ 9* - Ventus Black 5X 

3w - Sim 14* - Diamana A'hina 60X

5w - M3 19* - Diamana B70X

4h - M1 21* - Kuro Kage Black 80X

5i-PW - P770-20 - DG 105VSS X100

50/55/60 - RTX Zipcore - DG Spinner

P - 2-ball Protype Black

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally managed to do some paint fills on my Vokey Wedges, the only problem I had was with removing the excess paint as every time I went to wipe with acetone it seemed to take all the paint off or ruined the finish of what paint was left. I eventually used some fine wet & dry paper which works very well as it just removes the excess and does not affect the finish, certainly worth a try for those struggling with acetone.

I will post some pictures soon!

Cheers

awstephens

Well I wanted to share with you guys some pictures of the paintfill on my irons. Unfortunately a crappy camera and poor lighting is to blame for the meh pictures.

OMGOMG I Just found out I'll be able to change the paint fill on the nike sign. I thought it was just a sticker but it's not. I think I want to go with white even though I think the white on the numbers is going to wear out quickly. Any suggestions?

How are you guys able to remove the excess paint? I tried with a q tip but it just gets inside the lettering and smeers that paint or removes it. I also tried with a toothpick.

See above? I guess it's a long thread... dampen a thin cloth with thinner. Wrap or hold cloth tightly/snugly over something like a credit card to give it a flat backing. Drag that across the paint fill and it will only take off the paint that came over the lettering or out of the groove. Hold it at a very slight angle usually works best so you're draging mostly the straight edge over it.

This is great. A place where we can see how talented we all are....

You guys have some AMAZING stuff.

Here are some of the favs that I have done.

First up. An old Cally Forged "flamed" and the painted.

forged.jpg

Next is a "tour" Vokey. I sold this wedge, but I loved doing the fill for it.

DSC02026.jpg

And here is a wedge that I did for a buddy. This is just one in the set, but I like this one the best...

DSC01856.jpg

Thanks for looking...

these are my clubs i have done in the last week, i have three vokey's done the same way as the 60 that is pictured, the red x2 is mine, no need to take the screws out because it is a custom 400g head, the big sur i completly re gun blued in a attempt to try to sell it. this is just a start for me.... i want to do more stuff later on or if someone pays me, im 17 so im trying to pick this up as another thing i can fall back on if i have to.[at

achment=163222:golfclubs_009.jpg][attachmen

=163220:golfclubs_014.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...
these are my clubs i have done in the last week, i have three vokey's done the same way as the 60 that is pictured, the red x2 is mine, no need to take the screws out because it is a custom 400g head, the big sur i completly re gun blued in a attempt to try to sell it. this is just a start for me..

Nice job and nice rock buggy, 85 pickup with solid axel?

Kevin

thanks, and its a 84 , i have been playing with the vokeys and noticing the finish is wearing off on the soles. they are now sitting in a corner waiting. i'm now playing some tom watson's from adams that i rawed and custom ground. waiting a little bit and experimenting with the adams. then the vokeys are going back under the knife and might come out raw with some paintfill and grinding...

• 2 weeks later...

just did my whole set of titleist 735 cm irons, cleveland wedges, and scotty cameron amrrican classic putter in paint fills and it worked out great!!!

used a set of testers paint with the paint thinner that came with it and it looks unbelievable....will post pics soon.......i reccommend it to all players that want something different

just as a tip, i used toothpicks to get the paint in the desired areas, let it dry overnight, and then went over the painted area with a damp paper towel with paint thinner on it to clear the excess paint from the club..........have already received many compliments, including my head pro, who wants to do it himself!!!

• 3 weeks later...

As a new member of this forum I just got done looking at all the paint fill pics and everyone did a very fine job. Since paint fill is part of my refinishing process

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I use One-Shot Lettering Enamel but because of my volume I buy it in the cans. For the individuals I would highly

recommend Testors as a little goes a long way. To clean up the excess I do use a paper towel and Naptha. The key is to

use a small fold and before applying the Naptha rub the paper towel on a table surface. This takes out any nap in the towel

making the paper very smooth. You then wipe quickly in one direction. Should work.

I do not know how to post pics but here is a link to a Scotty that I completely refinished.

If anyone has any questions or I can provide further info please ask and I will do my best.

Thanks, Chuck

here is the link: http://www.golfincolors.com/scottycameroncustom.htm

the paintfill on those r7 drivers and fariways looks awesome, if they made a tp headcover in that scheme it would be sick

Yeah - they look pretty cool - the yellow and white r7 are the best, but there's just something about the red 425 and black TaylorMade that is funny. Don't know, still looks pretty cool - maybe, for me, it only needs 3 colours instead of 4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my first try at a paint fill. I wanted to practice on a old iron that I had. First pic is the original paint fill. The second is my attempt.

Thres some smear/stain around the "Ben Hogan" and "1+". I think it's cuz I wiped them too soon. Tha backs have kind of a satin finish to them. I let them dry for about an hour before wiping the excess off. I may have just wiped too many times with the acetone. Is there an easy way to remedy the staining without redoing it? Some fine sandpaper maybe? I ask cuz I have some Hogan Edge irons I plan on doing this winter.

Thres some smear/stain around the "Ben Hogan" and "1+". I think it's cuz I wiped them too soon. Tha backs have kind of a satin finish to them. I let them dry for about an hour before wiping the excess off. I may have just wiped too many times with the acetone. Is there an easy way to remedy the staining without redoing it? Some fine sandpaper maybe? I ask cuz I have some Hogan Edge irons I plan on doing this winter.

Yikes! don't use sandpaper. The satin finish won't be satin any more.

I'm not sure if it's really a satin finish. It's not shiny like the chrome parts of the club. I'm new to this stuff. My old irons were Wal-Mart bought Knight shovels. My Hogan Edges have sort of a raw finish, I guess you could say, in the cavity. Anyone have any advice?

I don't want to re-do the paint fill and have them look bad from all the "staining" around the new fills.

Clean 'em up with acetone or whatever works on whatever paint you used and start over. Or see if you can remove the stain without removing the fill. The trick is to get a flat backing/edge behind the paper towel or thin cloth that you have *dampened* (not wet enough that it will flow into the fill area) with thinner. That finish was probably etched in there with acid or blasted in there with sand/abrasive. If you get anything like sand paper on it you will end up with something that looks like a very poorly/roughly brushed finish (that won't be straight) or a shiney/worn spot. Neither would be recoverable by you.

Clean 'em up with acetone or whatever works on whatever paint you used and start over. Or see if you can remove the stain without removing the fill. The trick is to get a flat backing/edge behind the paper towel or thin cloth that you have *dampened* (not wet enough that it will flow into the fill area) with thinner. That finish was probably etched in there with acid or blasted in there with sand/abrasive. If you get anything like sand paper on it you will end up with something that looks like a very poorly/roughly brushed finish (that won't be straight) or a shiney/worn spot. Neither would be recoverable by you.

Thanks, ApexGrind. I'm using Testors enamel paint. I'll keep working on it and post some pics when I get my Edges done.

-Chad

Just thought I'd update my dilemma with the stain problem I've been having in case someone else runs across it.

All I have to say is: I love you Magic Eraser! :bb2: Took the smear/stain right off looks awesome! I was going to try something else and grabbed the Magic Eraser and thought "why not? It's taken paint off my practice balls before". Worked like... well, magic.