2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Official Big Break VI thread

bjackson

Gavin

Thanks again for all the insight you really make the show more interesting by your insights.

The guys did not come off to good last night. For all the talk of how the guys would clean up if they played against the girls...well maybe they should tone it down.

Gary and Denny especially need to start backing up there talk.

I also must tell you how excited my son was when he saw you walk back out on course at the end of the episode.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy this thread. Thanks Gavin for adding insight from the "inside". I do agree with one of the other posters...that play has not been as good as I thought it would be. I am a 6 handicap and realize everyone on that show would have me for lunch...so I know I could not do any better. But I would expect players on the cusp of professional golf to be more consistent and handle pressure better than they are. They hit to many bad shots in my opinion that a weekened golfer hits.

Like the thread...can't wait to watch next weeks episode!

-Steve

This is the 'Best Thread on the Net' in my opinion.

Gavin's quote in the preview for the next episode 'That was the best shot I hit in 25 years.' makes me really want to see next Tuesday night.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Gavin's quote in the preview for the next episode 'That was the best shot I hit in 25 years.' makes me really want to see next Tuesday night.

I was thinking the same thing Hippster.

I'm going to be uber-bummed if the next half of the sentence is something like "I can't believe it went in the water" or "It blew me away that XXX then holed out to win."

Wow, this is so cool to have a BB contestant talking about the show.

Gavin, hopefully you make it back on next week. I'll be watching for sure. I'm hooked on this season.

I've got a couple questions. Do you guys get to play the course when the cameras are off? I remember last night Albert mentioning he played 18 holes with Laura and she can play (or something like that). Also, it might be just a coincidence, but why aren't there any lefties on the show? Is it because of challenges like the draw/fade around the wall? Do they just not want someone to have an advantage or disadvantage because they're standing on the other side of the ball? Or is it just a coincidence? Another question: how good do you have to be to be a contestant on that show? I assume scratch or better, but is there a certian requirement? Thanks in advance.

Great thread here.

Gavin is back next week, yahoo!! Can't wait to see next weeks, its gonna be great.

This show is great, because it just proves no matter how good you are, bad shots and choking are going to happen. Worst last night IMO was Kelly swinging out of his you know what on a 500 yard par 5. That was not good. Then he dropped it pratically on a downslope about 4 inches from the hazard line, what was that all about? Did Norm teach him that?

Albert is great. He cracks me up with all his comments. And then Kelly saying to him "Hey, Trump really likes you, he asked me how you were doing". Then Albert couldn't get out of there fast enough. I think he's had it with Kelly's act.

Good stuff.

wow, just found this thread... i've been watching BB6 since the beginning, and i must say i don't like how TGC is editing the players comments to make them out to be something they are not...

there's alot of pressure on these people, but geez, they sure make some bonehead plays...

Kelly seems like he can play the game VERY WELL, but what the heck happened to him last night...? and then all the guys oin deck where talking oh, he should have done this, or i would have done that, and they all chocked...

i can't beleive i only noticed last night that Albert plays cross handed...? WTF...?

Noone on that show has a "pretty swing" though, that's for sure...

wow, just found this thread...

i can't beleive i only noticed last night that Albert plays cross handed...? WTF...?

No, no, we've noticed. It's discussed on the first page of this thread. Remember, you're late to the party. :drinks:

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I was thinking the same thing Hippster.

I'm going to be uber-bummed if the next half of the sentence is something like "I can't believe it went in the water" or "It blew me away that XXX then holed out to win."

I will tell you about the shot after next week's show as I will be surprised if the camera does it justice.

Wow, this is so cool to have a BB contestant talking about the show.

Gavin, hopefully you make it back on next week. I'll be watching for sure. I'm hooked on this season.

I've got a couple questions. Do you guys get to play the course when the cameras are off? I remember last night Albert mentioning he played 18 holes with Laura and she can play (or something like that). Also, it might be just a coincidence, but why aren't there any lefties on the show? Is it because of challenges like the draw/fade around the wall? Do they just not want someone to have an advantage or disadvantage because they're standing on the other side of the ball? Or is it just a coincidence? Another question: how good do you have to be to be a contestant on that show? I assume scratch or better, but is there a certian requirement? Thanks in advance.

Great thread here.

Talking about the show but not saying anything :drinks: As you can imagine I have to choose my words VERY carefully.

No we do not play the course when the cameras are off, in fact you have no time to yourself, no privacy or anything. You have a mike on at 5:30 am and a camera guy assigned to you, he follows you around. Now you have a mike on and you head off to the porta potty, they have to listen if you dont turn the mike off, man, I had fun with that one. I had a fart machine and a large bottle of water, I poured the water into the john with the mike on and took about 10 minutes to empty it out, it was hysterical, then you fart really hard with the fart machine and then talk to the mike guys, throw stuff into the John to make really loud spashing noises and ask if the are enjoying it. I guess the mike guys are immune to his but we had a blast.

Oh back to the show, Albert and Laura played together during the semi finals in Orlando prior to being selected.

I asked the lefty question and I was told that due to the cameras and having to move them from the right to the left for righties and lefties and back again etc ..., made it very difficult and extremely time consuming so for that reason there were no lefties (or so I was told). You may see a show with only lefties. Hell I don't know I am guessing, but anything is possible.

I guess anyone can try out for the show, as I have said before, prior to the interview I had to hit 10 balls, 3 with a Driver, 3 with a 5 iron, 3 wedges to a flag and a flop shot. You had to hit each shot shape (draw, fade and straight ball on command (call your shot), you then had to hit 3 pitches toa flag with your wedge and the flop shot to a drum. You were graded on that and then you had to do an on camera interview.

Hope this helps

Gavin

Whats up with the ladies not playing off of the same tees? I would assume no guy wants to question it since it makes them seem like a wuss. Kelly did mention it in the beginning of the episode. Most of the holes they played had a 60 yard delta which would result in a totally different difficulty level, look, strategy, angle to the pin, etc for the guys vs. the girls.

Aside from that, what the heck is Brie's problem? Editing or not, she comes off as a pouty spoiled b*tch. I don't see her having the game she thinks she does. And I guarantee she is not as hot as she thinks she is. I pray for her to be eliminated each week so that I don't have to see her anymore.

Todd

Now you have a mike on and you head off to the porta potty, they have to listen if you dont turn the mike off, man, I had fun with that one. I had a fart machine and a large bottle of water, I poured the water into the john with the mike on and took about 10 minutes to empty it out, it was hysterical, then you fart really hard with the fart machine and then talk to the mike guys, throw stuff into the John to make really loud spashing noises and ask if the are enjoying it. I guess the mike guys are immune to his but we had a blast.

Gavin, you are my kind of guy! :cheesy: :wave:

EDIT: After some additional thought, I must know: At what point in packing for a nationally televised show in which you would be given copious amounts of money, prizes, and tour exemptions if you won, did you say to yourself, "You know what I'm really going to need on this trip? A fart machine. Definitely gotta pack the fart machine." :D :drinks:

I guess anyone can try out for the show, as I have said before, prior to the interview I had to hit 10 balls, 3 with a Driver, 3 with a 5 iron, 3 wedges to a flag and a flop shot. You had to hit each shot shape (draw, fade and straight ball on command (call your shot), you then had to hit 3 pitches toa flag with your wedge and the flop shot to a drum. You were graded on that and then you had to do an on camera interview.

Hope this helps

Gavin

Gee is that all...?

:drinks:

:cheesy:

Whats up with the ladies not playing off of the same tees? I would assume no guy wants to question it since it makes them seem like a wuss. Kelly did mention it in the beginning of the episode. Most of the holes they played had a 60 yard delta which would result in a totally different difficulty level, look, strategy, angle to the pin, etc for the guys vs. the girls.

Aside from that, what the heck is Brie's problem? Editing or not, she comes off as a pouty spoiled b*tch. I don't see her having the game she thinks she does. And I guarantee she is not as hot as she thinks she is. I pray for her to be eliminated each week so that I don't have to see her anymore.

Todd

you'll get no argument from me on this one... i've been routing against her since she had her episode with Kelly, but at the same time didn't want Kelly to be eliminated either...

I think her game is pretty weak overall, and she has not really stong point that i've seen so far...

I think her game is pretty weak overall, and she has not really stong point that i've seen so far...

Well, except last week, when she was grouped with Ashley and Bridget, she was the only one in her group who didn't choke. (Ashley = OB; Bridget = penalty for too many clubs in bag).

Not that it's relevant to anything, but she didn't look as cute last night as she has before.

Todd

I have to defend Bri here, she is very quiet and extremely reserved, from what I saw she does not realise how cute she is. She lacks in self confidence, and can be somewhat sensitive but she was one of the nicest girls on the show. (Well to me anyway).

Thanks so much for your input Gavin.

Albert made a comment on the last show about the rest of the guys being "tour players and country club guys" and that they played a different game compared to him.

What did he mean by that? Do the other contestants act snobbish to him? From what I can tell he doesn't seem to like the other male contestants. I just wonder if that is editing or did Albert really have that "hustler" chip on his shoulder...which long time hustler Rocky didn't seem to have.

Albert made a comment on the last show about the rest of the guys being "tour players and country club guys" and that they played a different game compared to him.

What did he mean by that? Do the other contestants act snobbish to him? From what I can tell he doesn't seem to like the other male contestants. I just wonder if that is editing or did Albert really have that "hustler" chip on his shoulder...which long time hustler Rocky didn't seem to have.

Very astute of you and no the rest of the guys treated Albert as one of the boys which he is. We play on tour every week with Albert and he is driven by the need for funds, as he has to work a couple of jobs to achieve his dreams and I have a lot of respect for that. He is not accustomed to having to rely on someone else and Albert is very single minded. I would not go as far as to say Albert has a hustler chip on hihs shoulder, he is just attempting to do the best he can in a situation that is foreign to him. ALbert and I get on really well and he is one helluva golfer. He just recently won a Sunbelt tour event by shooting 64 in his final round and he is off to Champions Tour Q-School this year and I wish him well.

how funny was that last episode, all the guys ragging on each other for their crappy play against the women. Its funny because Albert was ragging on everybody and then proceeds to shank it from a perfect lie!

If you read the thread..he didn't shank it. Even Gavin said he didn't shank it.

Sheesh.

sorry, but i fail to see how that WASN'T a shank... even if he was 2 clubs short, that wouldn't have made the ball end up 35 yards right of the target...

looked like a shank to me, IIRC...

:)

Very astute of you and no the rest of the guys treated Albert as one of the boys which he is. We play on tour every week with Albert and he is driven by the need for funds, as he has to work a couple of jobs to achieve his dreams and I have a lot of respect for that. He is not accustomed to having to rely on someone else and Albert is very single minded. I would not go as far as to say Albert has a hustler chip on hihs shoulder, he is just attempting to do the best he can in a situation that is foreign to him. ALbert and I get on really well and he is one helluva golfer. He just recently won a Sunbelt tour event by shooting 64 in his final round and he is off to Champions Tour Q-School this year and I wish him well.

Gavin,

Really appreciate all your insight into the show. Do you play on the Heartland Tour? I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was playing in the pro-am in Azle, TX when the Big Break was out there doing auditions. Actually played with Jeff from the show who was a very good guy, but obviously very competitive. He mentioned to us on the first tee that he wanted to win. We told him that he better just have a good time as he was undermatched based on his grouping since only two of us play regularly.

I've heard that Albert's brother lives here in Fort Worth, but wondered where he was from. He's the 2nd best cross-handed player I've ever seen.

Really appreciate all your insight into the show. Do you play on the Heartland Tour? I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was playing in the pro-am in Azle, TX when the Big Break was out there doing auditions. Actually played with Jeff from the show who was a very good guy, but obviously very competitive. He mentioned to us on the first tee that he wanted to win. We told him that he better just have a good time as he was undermatched based on his grouping since only two of us play regularly.

I've heard that Albert's brother lives here in Fort Worth, but wondered where he was from. He's the 2nd best cross-handed player I've ever seen.

Yes I play on the Heartlands tour, I also played in Azle and shot 73, 66, 72. Actually that was the only tournament of the year that I played half way decent in.

I believe that Albert is from Homer Louisiana

Ok, it is Wednesday morning and here is a recap of last nights show.

Before you guys start getting on me for some of the shots that I hit on last nights show, let's see if I can give some insight. Firstly there is no excuse for the way I played and I just flat out stank. I was not nervous at all. Essentially I hit 1 bad shot and that was the pull hook off the 2nd tee which then hit a rock in the left bunker and went flying across the green onto a severe downslope on the right side of the green. I told you the cameras would not do that shot that I hit from there justice and " The best shot in 25 years" was somewhat of an exageration for TV, but it was still one helluva shot (though it visually does not fit the typical description), let me describe what I was facing. I was lying about 1 inch from the hazzard boundary on a downslope that had my left foot more than 1 foot below my right foot (pretty severe). I had rocks and stones behind the ball that were imbedded so I could not get them out without moving the ball, then I had a little gap between 2 bushes to swing the club through. I had a bunker in front of me some really nasty rough so I could not bump and run it and the green was above me and sloping away. This was one really tough shot and to get it anywhere near the green was pretty damned remarkable.

Anyway let me recap my day. We get onto the range and are told that the guys and gals that are still in the show will play Ryder cup style matches and the winning team (or sex if you want to state it that way) will be safe for the day and the eliminated players of the loosing team gets to play back onto the show. As a result we now have to pull for the opposite sex. Anyway that is all history and the girls beat the guys pretty soundly.

The Playback

Hole #14 (1st hole) Is a par 5 dogleg right uphill and then a dogleg left to the green. The bunkers in the fairway off the tee neck down the fairway and there is a huge Environmental area in the middle of the fairway that can effect your 2nd shot. Anyway I hit driver down the middle, a pretty nice shot and it lands hard and runs just through the fairway into the 1st cut. The ball is lying down and I cannot hit a utility or 3 wood at the green (which I can reach) so I lay up with a 6 iron. The layup area is blind because of the humps in the fairway and the ESA in the fairway. I push 6 iron a little right into the long stuff and it is down. I manage to hack it out onto the green and hit a really nice downhill, downgrain, downwind putt from about 40ft.

Hole #15 (2nd hole) Is a downhill par 3 with a long narrow green that is raised on all sides and has bunkers and ESA around it. The wind is blowing pretty hard, I would say 15 mph from the right and is not helping or hurting. I pull hook a punch 8 iron which hits a rock and flies dead right across the green over the bunker on the other side into the crap. I pitched out from there and the ball ran across the green into the 2nd cut and has a clump of that nasty stuff behind the ball. I make a nice stroke and the tuft squirts the ball short and right of the hole about 8 feet which I miss and I make 5. (I underread the slope and grain on Trump National every time I played it). and am now 2 over with 2 guys at even par.

Hole #16 (3rd Hole) Is a short par 4 that is risk reward. The tee shot sets you up at the pond around the green and the fairway has a layup area to the right. The correct way to play it is to play to the lay up area with a 3 iron or utility, then hit gap wedge to the green which has some severe slopes in it.

I am 2 shots down with one hole to go and have to make 2 or I am done, so I take out Driver and rip it at the green with a draw, (What am I going to do, Protect my score) :) I hit it good but turn it over too much and I am in the pond and am done. A dissapointing finish for me but at least

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Charlie
gets to move on and I have had the experience of a lifetime. I do not know if I have mentioned it, but The Golf Channel Film Directors, crew, staff and all the people that were involved with the show were fantastic. We were treated like royalty, our every need was catered to, and I experienced 1st hand a small sample of lifestyles of the rich and famous. :pimp:

1 point of interest, if you notice how little club Albert hits in relation to everyone else, that is because of his cross handed grip which delofts the club so much that it adds about 2 clubs of yardage. I was saddened to see

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Albert
show up with the Grim Reaper (The affectionate name of the person that brought the person or persons back to the eliminated group).

BTW: If you guys think Bri and Bridgette are hot, WELL... One of the staff there, and we will only call her Jo ... WELL she is H-H-H-HOT, no sizzling. Neither Bri nor Bridgette, oh you know what I mean, and no I do not have any photos. On top of being drop dead gorgeous, she is one really nice person and totally unaffected by her beauty. (Some people have all the luck) :smilie_titty:

Thats it for now, back to answering your questions ...

Gavin

BBVI Contestant