2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson 50 elite - What a Surprise

Piggywig

A review of the Wilson Staff 50 Elite
Sports Authority had a special on Wilson Staff 50 Elite balls at 2 for 24 bucks, so I thought I'd give them a go. Today is the first day I had them out on the course. Since I was playing solo, I like to amuse myself by having a battle of the golf balls. Today's battle was Bridgestone E5 versus the 50 Elite. The Elite 50 won the match, but, more importantly, it has very impressive performance. Despite the fact the the E5 is urethane and the 50 Elite is surlyn, the spin on the 50 was remarkable. Here's is an example: Downhill par 3 at 145 yards. I hit 9 iron with both balls. The Bridgestone lands and rolls maybe 2'. The 50 lands and *spins back* 3 feet. Now admittedly, I striped the 50 better than I did the Bridgestone, but I wouldn't expect 3' of backspin from any surlyn ball.

The rest of the round was similar. On approaches, the 50 would roll out of its pitch mark by only 2' or so. The Bridgestone was similarly good, but I would expect this since it is urethane and costs about twice as much. There was little difference in distance between the two balls. The 50 may have been a bit straighter off the tee, which I assume is due to lower sidespin from surlyn. Both covers were durable. At the end of the round, neither was especially shredded despite being hit with a lot of full wedges. (Note, my wedges are Cleveland with non-conforming zip grooves. These will take a pretty good bite out of a Pro V1 if I stripe it.)

On chips, there was not much to distinguish. I play on firm, fast greens here in the Walnut Creek, CA area, so nothing checks especially well on chips. I mostly rely on chipping with a 56* club and getting distance control from height rather than spin.

Overall, I was seriously impressed with the 50--especially the spin on approaches.

Anyone else with experiences, good or bad, using the 50?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Going to Myrtle Beach next week with one of my golf buddies and wives.....was thinking about picking up some balls....last week i played with a guy that was gaming the Wilson Zip......said he got them for $20.......for a Double Dozen....at Walmart! He was getting more distance than before....

Probably swing by Wally World tonight and check it out....

Cobra King LTD driver @12* w/Paderson Kinetix Green IMRT shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3-4W - 16*
Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid - 19*
Cobra King F6 4-GW w/Matrix Red Tie graphite
Bellum Winmore 707 Putter 33"
Snell MTB & Bridgestone B330RX

I'm a diehard Wilson fan and it's good to hear other people discover Wilson equipment IS good. I use the Duos, 50s, C:25s, and nuclear orange Smartcores. That orange is so bright on a sunny day it'd make Stevie Wonder shade his eyes.

I think Wilson should use an ad campaign similar to the one GM used in the 90s for Oldsmobile- "Wilson, they're not your grandfather's clubs anymore" :D

[quote name='greasepin' timestamp='1347556943' post='5634897']
Thought of trying these myself. With SS of 95-99 mph are these too soft? May have to try C:25... Looking for a good winter ball after the dirty z stars run out.
[/quote]According to the product info at golfballs.com the 50 Elite is good for swing speeds of 94 and below w/ a medium trajectory,soft feel, and low spin off a 9 iron. The C:25 is for ss of 81-94 w/ a medium trajectory, medium feel, and medium/high spin off a 9 iron.

• 3 weeks later...

[size=5][sup]While in Myrtle Beach a couple weeks ago, I picked some Wilson Zips.......Double dozen pack for $15.[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]Haven't tried them yet....will probably wait until my current supply is more reduced...still gaming the Diablo Tour.[/sup][/size]

Cobra King LTD driver @12* w/Paderson Kinetix Green IMRT shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3-4W - 16*
Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid - 19*
Cobra King F6 4-GW w/Matrix Red Tie graphite
Bellum Winmore 707 Putter 33"
Snell MTB & Bridgestone B330RX

[quote name='Piggywig' timestamp='1318126760' post='3645961']
Sports Authority had a special on Wilson Staff 50 Elite balls at 2 for 24 bucks, so I thought I'd give them a go. Today is the first day I had them out on the course. Since I was playing solo, I like to amuse myself by having a battle of the golf balls. Today's battle was Bridgestone E5 versus the 50 Elite. The Elite 50 won the match, but, more importantly, it has very impressive performance. Despite the fact the the E5 is urethane and the 50 Elite is surlyn, the spin on the 50 was remarkable. Here's is an example: Downhill par 3 at 145 yards. I hit 9 iron with both balls. The Bridgestone lands and rolls maybe 2'. The 50 lands and *spins back* 3 feet. Now admittedly, I striped the 50 better than I did the Bridgestone, but I wouldn't expect 3' of backspin from any surlyn ball.

The rest of the round was similar. On approaches, the 50 would roll out of its pitch mark by only 2' or so. The Bridgestone was similarly good, but I would expect this since it is urethane and costs about twice as much. There was little difference in distance between the two balls. The 50 may have been a bit straighter off the tee, which I assume is due to lower sidespin from surlyn. Both covers were durable. At the end of the round, neither was especially shredded despite being hit with a lot of full wedges. (Note, my wedges are Cleveland with non-conforming zip grooves. These will take a pretty good bite out of a Pro V1 if I stripe it.)

On chips, there was not much to distinguish. I play on firm, fast greens here in the Walnut Creek, CA area, so nothing checks especially well on chips. I mostly rely on chipping with a 56* club and getting distance control from height rather than spin.

Overall, I was seriously impressed with the 50--especially the spin on approaches.

Anyone else with experiences, good or bad, using the 50?
[/quote]

I have and just posted about them. They really stick the greens also, RIGHT?

[quote name='TheOx' timestamp='1347562257' post='5635247']
Have to say though.. there is no reason to buy these over the Gamer V2s. Sure $7 dollar difference.. but Gamer V2s at $20 is a hell of a deal anyways. 3-piece, and phenomenal.
[/quote]
V2s can be had now at the Galaxy at 2 for $25. But for cold, the Wilson should be better.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Interesting, when were these balls first introduced? I think I will grab a dozen of the yellows and try them for my last few rounds of the year. It looks like they are $17.99 a dozen here @ Golf Town.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

It's my go to winter/cold weather ball.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

I picked up some orange ones from RBG for a buck a ball and I liked them as well. Swing speed 102-105, stick the greens pretty well for an inexpensive two piece ball. Nice feel, too. The orange is a little odd, darker than some other brands -- I couldn't see it from far away as well as other orange balls, but within 10 yards or so, you really can't miss it.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

One more fan of the Wilson Zip, I've used them in the past, but always preferred the Top Flite d2+ Feel. Well, the Feel's are getting harder to find and I came across a sale on the Zips, $12.88 for 24 balls new in a double dozen box. I picked up 4 double boxes or 96 balls for $55 after tax.

Needless to say, I'm stocked up for a while.

I love the Wilson Fifty Elites. I've had great experiences with them and love their feel. I've seen no loss of performance, but I don't think I get the same distance (a few yards shorter). Walmart sells them for about $14 a doz (give or take a dollar). I've also had great experiences with Nitro Blaster sold at Target for <$7 a dozen. I hit the cheaper low spin balls a lot better while the better quality higher spin balls tend to balloon on me and lose considerable distance. Besides, what does it matter? I'll hit a $45/doz ball just as far out of bounds as a $7/doz.

[quote name='TheBobGuy' timestamp='1349953711' post='5779959']
Good morning men,

Who manufactures golf balls for Wilson? Just curious.
[/quote]I know that they are a subsidiary of Amer Sports. And they are based out of Chicago. Don't know if that helps or not.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='TheOx' timestamp='1347562257' post='5635247']
Have to say though.. there is no reason to buy these over the Gamer V2s. Sure $7 dollar difference.. but Gamer V2s at $20 is a hell of a deal anyways. 3-piece, and phenomenal.
[/quote]

Getting the Zips 2 doz for $25 absolutely smokes the Gamer V2. I've played both a fair bit, and find the Zip feels nicer, putts nicer, and spins better. Looks are a pick your poison type of thing - double dimple vs. panhead dimples. And the Zip is a 3 piece as well.

When I used the 50 about five years ago, it was the first Wilson Staff ball I had tried in about 10 years. I was incredibly surprised by how well it spun, and how well it worked in cold conditions. I've since tried the Zips, 50 Elites, C;25s, and the FG Tours, and have been super impressed by all of them. You really can't go wrong with any, and IMHO, they are better than their equivalent price point offerings of every other ball manufacturer.

There's some balls I like better, but not for the price. Ooooh, that didn't sound right......ahhhh.....

Wilson Staff golf balls return better value for the consumer dollar than their competitors' golf balls, especially in a dollars to performance ratio.

Better

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• 4 weeks later...

It's getting cold in Chicago and I was looking for a lower compression ball for the remainder of the season. Read a lot of reviews on the Wilson 50 and decided to give them a try. I'm not a big hitter...normal driver with carry and roll is around 240 and 8 iron is 150. Not only was there no loss of distance but there was at least a 10 yard gain off the driver. Keep in mind, our fairways are longer now and the courses are playing slow. Even more impressive than the distance was the straight ball flight. I'd like to say it's the superior swing but it isn't. Whatever line the ball started out on was the line it stayed on. The ball felt great off the driver and especially sweet off the irons.

If I had to criticize anything it would be that it was a bit slower off the putter but that's just a practice and feel adjustment. And...for $12/dozen can you beat it? Hoping to get to AZ yet before year end and anxious to see if the performance in warmer temps is any different.

• 2 weeks later...

I found one of these 50 elite today. I was having a so-so day as it was 48-50ish degrees out and the wind was in my son and I face for all but 1 hole on the front 9.
I hit the longest 3w off the deck with one of these in the deplorable conditions as they were. It went so far, my son had me convinced I had finally gotten a Albatros. Darn ball went through the green...255 yard 3w. Crazy....
Unbelievable ball! Of course I fatted a 8i into the drink on the last hole.
I will definitely be picking some of these up tomorrow. This is a awesome cold weather ball!