2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

6 hcp lost it - hitting short, dead fades

Franzen

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you do have a nice action overall.

could use some spine tilt away from the target. should be easier to stay behind the ball a bit and give yourself a chance to get in a better impact position.

ball position looks fine. camera angles a little out of square, and it looks like you're hitting a long iron. a ball inside your left heel would be pretty standard.

you're flipping at it though, which will definitely cause a weak fade/slice. major breakdown in your wrists and 'flying wedge' in the frame before and frame after impact.

i'd suggest the following...
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/370676-is-this-a-anti-flip-drill-photos-inside/"]punisher drill[/url]

or you can buy a tour striker.

or just practice a bunch of 9-3 shots focusing on keeping your hands in front with forward shaft lean and using the pivot around your left ankle with a deep left hip (you are losing your butt line in the videos too) to hit the ball, without ever releasing the club/letting your wrists roll over.

i'd be a little wary of trying all this stuff on mats though, and i suspect hitting a lot of balls off mats may contribute to some flipping....since correctly hitting a short iron off a mat can be painful, and your brain knows this and it can subconsciously avoid that impact by flipping instead of truly hitting down on the ball. i can hit balls all day long out of grass and be fine, but 45 minutes off a mat and my elbows start feeling sore...i've also caught wedges a little too steep and had them basically stick in the mat and gotten wrist stingers.

The second vid looks a little scoopy at impact. Can't tell in the first. It is deceptive, because you do have a nice fluid motion, but getting a little flippy will cost you distance and generally bang everything out to the right. Won't tell you how I know. :(

Suggest the glove under front armpit drill.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Thanks guys.
Right now it´s -2 (28 fahrenheit) outside my window, so I have 6 months of indoor practice time to nail it :)

It´s already better when hitting half shots, but it´s a different story applying power.
I guess I´m not the first one to experience this.

New video when I feel I have achieved something...

Are you guys ignoring my post? There's an obvious picture of your impact position, and I told you why you're doing it.

The golf swing starts from the GROUND up. There is no leverage in your upper body. You need to relax your arms and let the uncoiling of your shoulders happen by sliding your hips to start the downswing.

Transfer your weight from your right foot to your left, and let everything else happen.

You're probably applying power with your arms and that's why you're still pushing it.

r0valy.png

You aren't using your hips to swing the club. You're powering your swing with your upper body. Exact same problem my grandpa has.

This is exactly whati I noticed. Also, in the first video, your shoulders are actually closed at impact instead of open. Your body isn't getting through on the downswing and you're desperately trying to use your hands to release the club. Because your grip is a little on the weak side, your hands are unable to compensate. You do really have a nice fluid motion, but to me it seems your swing faults are pretty significant. A couple lessons should fix you right up though!

[quote name='Kspaintballer101' timestamp='1321336984' post='3802443']
It's kind of funny to read some of these responses. Totally not trying to bash anyone, but if you don't know how to fix someone's swing and they're relying on your comments, don't just spit out what you think is best. Some people probably get their swings destroyed by this site.
[/quote]

I happen to agree. I just shared what I felt was wrong with his swing. I leave the solutions to the professionals. :man_in_love:

[quote name='Kspaintballer101' timestamp='1321336984' post='3802443']It's kind of funny to read some of these responses. Totally not trying to bash anyone, but if you don't know how to fix someone's swing and they're relying on your comments, don't just spit out what you think is best. Some people probably get their swings destroyed by this site.[/quote]

maybe so. this is the internet though, and it's all free advice....and people aren't forced to take it or try to implement it.
i'm also sure many peoples' swings get 'destroyed' by going to a see a pga pro too, and they lose hundreds of dollars in the process. there's no perfect fix, no perfect teaching pattern to hit 18 GIRs....it's an ongoing process of experimentation and work and changes for [i]everyone[/i].

i'd like to think i'm steering someone in the right direction by pointing out that they're flipping at the ball....and then offering some drills to get them more in the direction of forward shaft lean and body rotation through the swing.

[quote name='tfish' timestamp='1321338520' post='3802501']
[quote name='Kspaintballer101' timestamp='1321336984' post='3802443']It's kind of funny to read some of these responses. Totally not trying to bash anyone, but if you don't know how to fix someone's swing and they're relying on your comments, don't just spit out what you think is best. Some people probably get their swings destroyed by this site.[/quote]

maybe so. this is the internet though, and it's all free advice....and people aren't forced to take it or try to implement it.
i'm also sure many peoples' swings get 'destroyed' by going to a see a pga pro too, and they lose hundreds of dollars in the process. there's no perfect fix, no perfect teaching pattern to hit 18 GIRs....it's an ongoing process of experimentation and work and changes for [i]everyone[/i].

i'd like to think i'm steering someone in the right direction by pointing out that they're flipping at the ball....and then offering some drills to get them more in the direction of forward shaft lean and body rotation through the swing.
[/quote]

Like I said, I'm not pointing fingers or anything. I just read through the swing instruction forum last night and that seemed to be a common thing.

[quote name='Kspaintballer101' timestamp='1321390349' post='3804445']

[/quote]

Like I said, I'm not pointing fingers or anything. I just read through the swing instruction forum last night and that seemed to be a common thing.
[/quote]

I think you would get farther by not starting posts with "Are you guys ignoring my post," or It's kind of funny to read some of these responses." It kind of backhands everyone in a thread, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. If you are a teaching professional, you might identify yourself as such, and more people might "move" aside and put more emphasis on your posts.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1321578494' post='3815695']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you would get farther by not starting posts with "Are you guys ignoring my post," or It's kind of funny to read some of these responses." It kind of backhands everyone in a thread, regardless of whether they are right or wrong. If you are a teaching professional, you might identify yourself as such, and more people might "move" aside and put more emphasis on your posts.
[/quote]

I am not a certified professional, but I have an uncle and a cousin who are certified PGA professionals. My cousin plans to make it into the US Amateur next year. I am not bashing anyone, and i have stated that multiple times. I'm not even saying that anyone was wrong. I was just observing that a lot of people give the same advice for every swing.

Furthermore, I said "Are you guys ignoring my post?" Because people were still speculating about the "flipping" and such, when I had posted a rather large photo showing him reach a sort of "impact position" two feet before the ball.

Sorry for anyone I've upset. Totally not my goal.

[quote name='Kspaintballer101' timestamp='1321638730' post='3818711']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1321578494' post='3815695']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not a certified professional, but I have an uncle and a cousin who are certified PGA professionals. My cousin plans to make it into the US Amateur next year. I am not bashing anyone, and i have stated that multiple times. I'm not even saying that anyone was wrong. I was just observing that a lot of people give the same advice for every swing.

Furthermore, I said "Are you guys ignoring my post?" Because people were still speculating about the "flipping" and such, when I had posted a rather large photo showing him reach a sort of "impact position" two feet before the ball.

Sorry for anyone I've upset. Totally not my goal.
[/quote]

Try to kool it for a while.This is an an internet forum and people are free to comment .The vast majority of people really want to help others to improve.After a while you will realize ,which posters really understand the golf swing.Let me get to your post first and then tfish,since they are the largest.You are correct in describing that the swing starts from the ground up.that he has not retained his leverage( and flips) and the hips do slide before the shoulders unwind ,but you have left off some very pertinent facts as to what is causing these problems .If a golfer winds up incorrectly going back as the OP does ,then just transferrring weight to his left foot may just exacerbate his problems .That is where tfish's comments come in .A slight tilt of the lower and middle spine at setup will make it much easier to windup going back and consequently have a greater chance to unwind correctly going down.And if a golfer transfers weight to the middle of the front of the left foot ,he will have too much lateral motion on the dwonswing.The correct move is to pressuring your left HEEL (squash the bug) in transition.This move will create the necessary lateral motion ( that you mentioned) to establish your left pivot point over a golfer's left ankle/heel and help him to rotate around this left pivot point.This left heel vs just the left foot may seem to be a small difference but it can make huge changes in a golfer's swing.

Now the point about family members being pros and very good players.I have never had the pleasure of meeting either your uncle or cousin so i have no idea how effective teachers that they are.The teaching ability of pros follows a bell shaped curve .Some are really horrible ,some are terrific and most are just average.Since handicaps have not changed in the last 25 years ,you can assume that most pros have not helped out their students that much.And you have some students who have spent mucho dinero only to become worse.My point on this is not to denigrate the pros in your family ,but to point out that for many golfers lessons have been completely ineffective and that instruction by some pros in forums like golfwrx is much better than they would get from their local pros in person.So Pga certification per se does not mean that a person is a competent teacher

the third point is that you commented that after reading some of posts on instruction that the posts read the same over and over again.I can only assume that you are referring to me as i post on swing analysis as much as anyone, especially in this area.The reason why you may get that impression is that there are some fundamental problems which are pandemic among almost all golfers.Most golfers setup incorrectly, coil incorrectly and stall their pivot and flip and there are drills which seem to help many golfers.

I have not made comments on this swing ,because of the quality of the videos.I just can not see the release on most indoor videos.Without that important piece of information ,i can not be complete in my analysis.

By the way the punisher drill is among the best drills ever invented .If the OP padded the rod,started the club back straight , and made no more than 1/2 swings ,he would be pivoting much better almost immediately .The fact that he hurt his ribs is proof that he is not pivoting correctly
Youe Grandfather would also benefit immediately with this drill

Hit it dead,solid perfect

I really enjoy the attention - thanks :)

Better videos will come. Let me just explain a little what I think got me in this trouble:

I was swinging ok early this season. Because of an elbow hurting a bit from too much cross country skiing, I wanted to swing it a little "easier". That worked out well for a while, but after a break during summer holidays I never found my way back. This was my fifth season, and I don't yet have a "go-to" move I'm feeling safe with. (Does anyone, really?). In addition, the fall season was WET. We regularly lost balls in fairway. This made me pick it thinner and thinner, because my new "easy" swing really punished fat shots in the wet conditions. So, instead of hitting down thru the ball I ended up moving my impact position back, in an unconcious attempt to "lift" the ball off the soaking wet turf.

So I feel like I have a better move somewhere in this mess, and I'll be happy to get advice on the way back.
Will work on the punisher. Maybe I should get myself a Casio camera too?

[quote name='henrikdagfinrud' timestamp='1321666971' post='3820743']
I really enjoy the attention - thanks :)

Better videos will come. Let me just explain a little what I think got me in this trouble:

I was swinging ok early this season. Because of an elbow hurting a bit from too much cross country skiing, I wanted to swing it a little "easier". That worked out well for a while, but after a break during summer holidays I never found my way back. This was my fifth season, and I don't yet have a "go-to" move I'm feeling safe with. (Does anyone, really?). In addition, the fall season was WET. We regularly lost balls in fairway. This made me pick it thinner and thinner, because my new "easy" swing really punished fat shots in the wet conditions. So, instead of hitting down thru the ball I ended up moving my impact position back, in an unconcious attempt to "lift" the ball off the soaking wet turf.

So I feel like I have a better move somewhere in this mess, and I'll be happy to get advice on the way back.
Will work on the punisher. Maybe I should get myself a Casio camera too?
[/quote]
Start the punisher drill with long chip shots and then progress slowly.
Fast shutter speeds from 1/2000 on up require a lot of light.The conundrum is that if you do not set the shutter speed at least 1/2000 of a second ,the video will blur,but shutter speeds of 1/2000 or faster require a bunch of illumination .Most indoor ranges do not provide enough light to meet these requirements.If you buy a casio ,make sure that you do not buy the ZR models as they do not have manual shutter speed
and will blur even with a number of frames /second.You will have to go with the older models,at a t least for now

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='henrikdagfinrud' timestamp='1323107243' post='3894845']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXomxri0TuQ"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yXomxri0TuQ[/url]

First time "out" hitting balls in a while today.
Feels better, but it´s a work in progress.

Any comments? Heading in the right direction?
[/quote]

Looking better,but your lack of rotation on the downswing and a related improper movement of your right elbow is keeping you from approaching a scratch handicap.
First and very simple to do ,just toe out your left foot 1/4 turn towards the target.this will make it easier to rotate on the downswing and will tighten your coil going back a little.Just try exaggerating a huge amount and point your left foot almost at the target and make some very short very easy swings.You will probably notice some discomfort in your ankle and some difficulty coiling back,but you will also notice that it is really easy to rotate through with this foot position.For many people the 1/4 turn is a good place to start.Also have your right foot perpendicular to your target line.
The downswing consists first of a lateral move to establish your downswing pivot point over your left heel/ankle and then a subsequent rotation around this left pivot point for the rest of the swing.You do a good job of establishing this left pivot point ,but you do not rotate nearly enough. In transition really pressure your LEFT HEEL or squash a bug with your LEFT HEEL or even try to break a pane of glass that is behind your left butt .Notice the emphasis on the LEFT HEEL as the LEFT HEEL is critical for you to improve your rotation and not just the middle of your left foot.

drills
1 swing with your feet together.This drill will force you to rotate or else you will fall over
2.Ben hogan 5 lessons drill on the Ed Sullivan show-youtube.Notice how his elbows are almost stuck to his body and that they force the arms to move with the body as you pivot through.Practice this drill but do only 8-2 so you get the idea of rotation with your right elbow in the proper position in the lower downswing.Put a ball down and hit it every third pass
3.Martin Chuck's "golf pro impact drill" on youtube.The starting position for this drill allows you to really focus on the pivot and the proper position of the right elbow relative to the hip.No more than 9-3 and really focus on just your downswing pivot.
4 Punisher drill- a great drill ,but evidently you do not like it.

In the last three drills the focus is on the 9-3 or 8-2 swings .the reason for this is simple.within each longer swing is a 8-2 or 9-3 swing .If you are not performing these shorter swings correctly,then there is no way that you can swing correctly with a longer swing

Hit it dead,solid ,perfect