2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing Hickory Golf

[quote name='Aussie_steeler' timestamp='1448187164' post='12630422']
Callaway super soft
[/quote]

Great story and nice playing. I've been meaning to pick up a dozen of the Callaways to see if I like them more than the Wilson Duo.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='Aussie_steeler' timestamp='1448181011' post='12630358']
Just finished our club championships.

6100 metres / 6680 yards from the plates.....with Hickory

81, 79 over the first 36 saw me 8 shots behind the leader. ( Kikuyu course that was water logged due to heavy unseasonal rains)

This weekend I shot 80 yesterday ( with 2 triples) to find myself 8 shots behind the leader in 4th place.

Today I shot one of the best hickory rounds of my life. 3 over 75 ( 13 fairways, 14 greens, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys, 1 double)

Ended up being the best round of the day and gained 6 shots on the leader.

Finished 2 shots behind in 2nd place. Pleasantly surprised with the result.

Over the past 4 rounds it has been fun hearing all the old stories from my playing partners about the history of the game from their memories. It was great to see them connect in a way with their golfing past that they had long forgotten.

One playing partner today ( in the last group with me) told me: [b]"that was the quietest and most beautiful sounding round of golf I have ever heard"[/b]

We are slowly winning over the masses here with our unique choice of playing equipment.

Good stuff and great playing Aussie_steeler!

[/quote]

Thanks Blade

At a compression of 85 I can see that ball feeling really soft compared to his tour ball.

At less than 40 compression the super soft allows me to achieve the same efficiency at impact that Marshy would be getting.

In the final round I watched my playing partner bomb a drive downwind on a 360 metre hole with his titanium / graphite shaft combo using a ProV.

I put a good swing on my drive and thought I may have skyed my drive a little. When we got to the balls he only had me by 10 metres. He looked at me very sheepishly when he said that he only had 100 metres to the pin ( realising how far my drive had actually travelled. I think he was very relieved to see we away first)

I love those hickory moments.

Interesting handicap anomaly ... on courses I have played that have a known USGA slope/rating, I have now entered (backdated to 2012) all my hickory rounds on the SoHG website, and hence I now have a hickory handicap that is LOWER than my steel !

Current CONGU Steel 13.0 (Goodwood Downs/Park)

New SoHG handicap 11.0 (Tournament 12.3)

So I'll be using 12.3 from now on for all hickory events (6 shots less than I would get under the BGCS rules).

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1448383325' post='12640498']
I am sure he used the Solo as he is a Titleist staffer?? My list of good balls also includes the Srixon Soft Feel. Nice ball with hickory.
[/quote]

Actually I think he is a Srixon guy for his regular ball ... so I'm not exactly sure how he arrived at the SoLo for hickory play ... I'll ask him next time I see him :)

Agree with you on the Soft Feel - very good ball for hickory.

• 2 weeks later...

So .. I've signed on the dotted line for Mike Stevens' SoHG event in Florida, anyone else planning on playing in this ?

20-25th February - slap bang in the middle of the European winter so great for us over here to get away for a bit of warmth and sunshine. Stixman is also making the trip over.

As a solid golfwrx'er, this is of course the perfect opportunity for an assault on US eBay ... which is already in motion, and a bag of "American Originals" is taking shape for the event !

[b]Exhibit A:[/b] MacGregor Peerless Nokorode set from the late 1920s or so :

[attachment=3059968:Slide2.JPG]

[attachment=3059970:Slide3.JPG]

[attachment=3059972:Slide4.JPG]

[attachment=3059974:Slide5.JPG]

[attachment=3059976:Slide6.JPG]

[attachment=3059978:Slide7.JPG]

As can be seen, the shafts looked a bit dodgy, so I sent them straight to Tad to appraise and we are going to re-shaft a few of them (or maybe all of them!) and add Tad's excellent leather 'Kinghorn' grips.

The listed swingweights were all decent (or would be at correct length) - Should be a great play set I hope!

[b]Exhibit B:[/b] I like clubs that come from courses with good pedigree and this one, an 'Approaching Jigger', is a cracker:

[attachment=3059982:Winton Approaching Jigger.jpg]

The club head has the Diamond cleek mark of Winton of Montrose, and James Hepburn was the Pro at National Golf Links of America from 1915 to 1928.

Hopefully one day 'll be lucky enough to get the opportunity to play there. It is rated 6th best course in the USA and 11th in the World on the course review site top100golfcourses.co.uk and strictly play with members only!

[url="http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=421"]http://www.top100gol...ails.asp?id=421[/url]

Nice haul Geoff. That Winton jigger is a beauty.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1449685848' post='12699526']
So .. I've signed on the dotted line for Mike Stevens' SoHG event in Florida, anyone else planning on playing in this ?

20-25th February - slap bang in the middle of the European winter so great for us over here to get away for a bit of warmth and sunshine. Stixman is also making the trip over.

As a solid golfwrx'er, this is of course the perfect opportunity for an assault on US eBay ... which is already in motion, and a bag of "American Originals" is taking shape for the event !

[b]Exhibit A:[/b] MacGregor Peerless Nokorode set from the late 1920s or so :

[attachment=3059968:Slide2.JPG]

[attachment=3059970:Slide3.JPG]

[attachment=3059972:Slide4.JPG]

[attachment=3059974:Slide5.JPG]

[attachment=3059976:Slide6.JPG]

[attachment=3059978:Slide7.JPG]

As can be seen, the shafts looked a bit dodgy, so I sent them straight to Tad to appraise and we are going to re-shaft a few of them (or maybe all of them!) and add Tad's excellent leather 'Kinghorn' grips.

The listed swingweights were all decent (or would be at correct length) - Should be a great play set I hope!

[b]Exhibit B:[/b] I like clubs that come from courses with good pedigree and this one, an 'Approaching Jigger', is a cracker:

[attachment=3059982:Winton Approaching Jigger.jpg]

The club head has the Diamond cleek mark of Winton of Montrose, and James Hepburn was the Pro at National Golf Links of America from 1915 to 1928.

Hopefully one day 'll be lucky enough to get the opportunity to play there. It is rated 6th best course in the USA and 11th in the World on the course review site top100golfcourses.co.uk and strictly play with members only!

[url="http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=421"]http://www.top100gol...ails.asp?id=421[/url]
[/quote]

1 - great job on the new sticks; hit them well!

2 - I live on Long Island 100+ miles east of National Golf Links; of course, I may as well be a million miles away. It's truly an elation / frustration mix when I drive past the Shinecock - National Golf Links - Sebonack troika on the way out to play someone's summer wedding in the Hamptons.

3 - you guys are going to have a great time at the Mike Stevens hickory events in February. I was down there this past January playing in the NY-based Metropolitan Hickory Society's "Florida Swing" during which Mike organized a sevensome @ the amazing 18-hole Palm Beach Par 3 Course. There was a 3-club limit (mashie, niblick & putter for me); I teed off with my putter on the relatively flat 65 yard 9th, making my only 3 putt par ever by getting up & down from the back fringe. Mike's a great stick & quite tolerant of high cappers like me!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1449717333' post='12701636']

2 - I live on Long Island 100+ miles east of National Golf Links; of course, I may as well be a million miles away. It's truly an elation / frustration mix when I drive past the Shinecock - National Golf Links - Sebonack troika on the way out to play someone's summer wedding in the Hamptons.

[/quote]

I iknow what you mean lol, though it is one great quirk of hickory golf that it opens a few doors into places you might otherwise never get to play.

This year I have been lucky enough to play at Walton Heath and Muirfield, which probably never would have happened if I hadn't started playing hickory.

I noticed in your signature, that you have one of the original metal "hybrids" - the Standard Mills BSD1 ... got a pic ? What's it like to hit ?

That model is a favourite of Britta Nord, an excellent Swedish lady golfer who seems to clean up around Europe on the ladies hickory scene. Britta has the BSD in #s 1 (her tee club), 1½ and 2½, and hits them all beautifully!

Very good bag you have there ... would love to try one of the Spalding HB putters!

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1449761222' post='12702920']
[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1449717333' post='12701636']

[/quote]

I iknow what you mean lol, though it is one great quirk of hickory golf that it opens a few doors into places you might otherwise never get to play.

This year I have been lucky enough to play at Walton Heath and Muirfield, which probably never would have happened if I hadn't started playing hickory.

I noticed in your signature, that you have one of the original metal "hybrids" - the Standard Mills BSD1 ... got a pic ? What's it like to hit ?

That model is a favourite of Britta Nord, an excellent Swedish lady golfer who seems to clean up around Europe on the ladies hickory scene. Britta has the BSD in #s 1 (her tee club), 1½ and 2½, and hits them all beautifully!

Very good bag you have there ... would love to try one of the Spalding HB putters!
[/quote]

My bag is a good deal better than I am, I'm afraid!

Yes, the hickories can be a way onto some hallowed ground. I wasn't able to make outings @ Yale GC in 2014 or Friar's Head earlier this year, but I have joined the MHS guys both years at their annual Ridgewood CC outing.

The Mills aluminum cleek has quickly become my favorite hickory club. It perfectly fills the role of rescue wood / 4.5 hybrid / Ginty & is my go-to club for any fairway or light rough lie I can't get my spoon on. I need to take better pics as it's been rehabbed by hickory club magician Tim Alpaugh since these were taken, but in the meantime:
[attachment=3062080:image.jpeg]

[attachment=3062086:image.jpeg]

[attachment=3062090:image.jpeg]f

[attachment=3062094:image.jpeg]

Tim tells me the reason these are so scarce in any kind of decent shape is because the aluminum heads proved somewhat brittle &
prone to breaking in irreparable fashion. It's easy to see why there are so many more Mills aluminum head putters than cleeks still around!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='MattBarbier13' timestamp='1450324474' post='12730084']
Just picked up a J.D Tucker Jigger on the bay for about $30. Apparently, Mr. Tucker is famous for shooting the highest score in U.S Open history (157)...at least we have something in common!
[/quote]

Love it !

Compelled me to Google him .. it was the 1898 US Open at the Myopia Hunt Club, and I see he improved by 57 shots in his second round, a smooth 100, and then "quietly withdrew" :lol:

"Myopia Hunt Club" sounded interested so I googled that as well:

Here is what Wikipedia says about it's history:

[i]Myopia Hunt Club was founded in 1882 by J. Murray Forbes. The golf course was designed and built by Herbert C Leeds in 1894 and he continued working at the Club for over 30 years. Leeds tied for seventh place in the 1898 U.S.Open held at Myopia Hunt Club. His familiarity with the course was no doubt a factor in his ability to finish so high on the leaderboard in the tournament.[/i]

[i]The name "Myopia" is due to some of its founding members having come from the Myopia Club in Winchester, Massachusetts, which had been founded by four brothers with poor vision.[/i]

[i]When completed, Myopia Hunt Club measured 6,539 yards and Leeds made certain that golfers would encounter a multitude of challenging features, including tall mounds, deep bunkers, lightning-fast greens, blind shots requiring substantial carry, deep swales, punishing rough, plateaued greens, as well as a pond and paddock to avoid. So difficult was the course that in the 1901 U.S. Open not a single professional was able to break 80 in any round.[/i]

And this is their narrative on that 1898 U.S.Open:

[i]The [b]1898 U.S. Open[/b] was the fourth U.S.Open, held June 17–18 at Myopia Hunt Club in South Hamilton, Massachusetts, northeast of Boston. Scotland's Fred Herd captured his only major title, seven strokes ahead of runner-up Alex Smith.[/i]

[i]For the first time the U.S. Open was expanded to 72-holes, meaning the players had to complete eight loops around Myopia's 9-hole course.[sup] [/sup]Fred Herd trailed leader Willie Anderson by six shots after 36-holes, but he managed to pass Anderson with a 75 in the third round, the low round of the championship. Despite an 84 over the last 18-holes, Herd managed to prevail over Alex Smith by seven, with Anderson finishing in 3rd place eight shots back. Only Herd and Smith managed to break 80 in any round of the championship.[/i]

[i][color=#0000ff]Herd's fondness for liquor was well-known, and after his win tournament officials required him to leave a deposit to prevent him from selling the trophy for drinking money[/color]. His brother Sandy would win The Open Championship in 1902.[/i]

Love the bit in blue ... can you imagine that happening in today's day and age ! "Excuse me Rory ... before you go, can we have a word ?" :)

I need an assessment of the followings pics. These rusty hickories are for sale locally. Make an offer pricing. In the first pic, sure looks like a George Nicoll Leven Fife Scotland iron (upper right). If someone with a better eye than mine would offer their opinion, it would be appreciated. If so, may be a worthy pursuit for that club alone. Not much else here than is readily identifiable, but if priced right, may be a worthwhile acquisition. I've been tipping my toe into the hickory world and trying to assemble something of a respectable short set of clubs. TIA for any opinions offered.

[attachment=3069430:00F0F_i9SmRF3QUhG_600x450.jpg][attachment=3069432:00a0a_1lgskITZoKZ_600x450.jpg]

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Thank you Sir for your response. The only way to determine shaft condition is to examine them first hand. Check for straightness, absence of cracking, etc. I'm interpreting your comment on shafts as they're what makes a hickory club truly playable (my intent) or where it could get expensive quickly if not. I have a communication out to him with something of a low-ball offer and awaiting a response. See if he's realistic in his expectations. Pretty obvious they need some work.

I've attempted to educate myself about hickory clubs, here and elsewhere. When shopping, I've found primarily two types of sellers so far. Those that have a "rusty pile of old clubs" they want to get rid of, and those that have a rusty pile that completely overvalue them thinking they are have something very old and "antique". When in fact they are not. Prefer the prior, seems that is where value can be found. I have yet to cycle with the hickory trader crowd yet.

Trying to learn, take some chances, but still very much the novice.

Danger awaits you I am afraid. If you want to put together something to play with you might try going to an event in your area, contact the person organizing it prior and see if clubs are available to rent. Play the event and via talking to people you will gather more knowledge to confuse you even further but might get you going in the right direction. Or you can call me and I will try to help you out.
Tad 706-333-9626

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1450346133' post='12730610']
I need an assessment of the followings pics. These rusty hickories are for sale locally. Make an offer pricing. In the first pic, sure looks like a George Nicoll Leven Fife Scotland iron (upper right). If someone with a better eye than mine would offer their opinion, it would be appreciated. If so, may be a worthy pursuit for that club alone. Not much else here than is readily identifiable, but if priced right, may be a worthwhile acquisition. I've been tipping my toe into the hickory world and trying to assemble something of a respectable short set of clubs. TIA for any opinions offered.
[/quote]

Definitely a George Nicoll in there. The longer mid-iron'ish club looks like a meaty head with wide sole (likely heavier). I can tell you from a lot of first hand experience buying both locally and on eBay that results are very mixed. Clubs usually clean up nice, but making them playable is another matter all together. Shafts usually need to be straightened and often lengthened. Some small cracks are repairable, but it's always a gamble. Buying up clubs on the cheap, and restoring to playable is really fun but requires some patience. And in the end between tools, supplies, and time the cost that reputable sellers of playable clubs aren't necessarily all that high. Feel free to PM me for any details...I've got some short sets of playable clubs too (both playable commons and more collectible Scots like Stewart, Nicoll, Cochrane, etc). From my view playable is a shaft free of splits and cracks (or repaired by someone with skill), proper length, proper swingweight, new epoxy/pin, and a good grip either new leather or conditioned original.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

I've begun the process of rust removal on a recent acquisition of hickories (yes, I bought them. $20 cheap so no big deal. Including a cool, old scotch plaid carry bag in good shape). Shafts are straight, crack free near as I can tell upon examination with a magnifying glass. A O-V-B driver that needs some work. Irons include a O-V-B, Piccadilly, 'Jack Welsh' (?) niblick and this George Nicoll which I think is the most interesting. Not pristine, but serviceable for my intent. After the initial phase of removing the accumulated rust, one can now see with some detail what lies beneath.

Need some assistance on translation of the back stampings. George Nicoll 'Zenith' Deep Faced Mashie. Stamped "John F. Walsh". Would that have been the club builder? The hand, would that be what is termed the "the cleek mark"? The '2' beside the hand, designating 2 iron? Or a flex designation? Assume 'C T T' is a prior owner's initials. Some of the stamping letters are not very deep or are worn. Also read somewhere that a dot face club is older than scoring line clubs. Fact? Anyone care to date this one (appx.).

All that has been mentioned above is appreciated and will be utilized, particularly resetting the shafts. One question moving forward. Is it an acceptable practice to delicately file or hammer out dings (on the leading edge particularly) of these old irons? A couple not pictured need some attention in that regard. Also, they will get buffed at a future point.

I've been reading a lot about hickories, in all forms and fashion. Need another winter project. So I may make a mess of things, but I'm of the opinion that the only way to learn is by doing. I will undoubtedly have further questions down the road for you good folks. As always, TIA.

[attachment=3075838:IMG_1252.jpg][attachment=3075840:IMG_1251.jpg]

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1448383325' post='12640498']
I am sure he used the Solo as he is a Titleist staffer?? My list of good balls also includes the Srixon Soft Feel. Nice ball with hickory.
[/quote] Actually that Srixon Soft Feel is a good ball period. I have been front line gaming that ball and the Bridgestone Trio Soft all summer with both my sorta moderns and persimmon.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

On a further note, is this a decent reference guide? Obviously, pricing info will be dated (pricing is not primary purpose).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Golf-Collectibles-Guide-Limited-Edition-121-250-Signed-by-Chuck-Furjanic-/401039834076?hash=item5d5fd63bdc:g:VooAAOSwhcJWM55p

Any other reference recommendations?

The Furjanic price guide book is good for old pics and reference.

Pete Georgiady has put out more recent price guides and updates
them from time to time with new additions, along with various other
hickory related books - at decent prices.

Yes, the hand was Nicoll's cleek mark (Georgiady has a book on cleek
marks as well). Those deep face mashies are great hitting irons. Looks
like a fun winter project......