2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Is anyone still using their uPro MX?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was frustrated with my MX last summer, mostly because of random freezing and taking too long to re-boot while on the course. Drove my buddies nuts too, watching me curse the MX. But I just downloaded the new software release over the weekend and all seems to work fine. Just did one round at local course, but it worked perfectly.

One tip ... they remind you to have the most updated Java software loaded on your computer. Do that carefully. In my case, I had to uninstall several earlier releases of some Java software before loading the latest, and it even took several efforts to get that loaded right. (Some potential for user error.) In fact, on the chance that the Java software was browser specific, I overkill loaded it three times for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome. Once the Java was done finally, the new MX software loaded fine.

And the uPro MX unit now works fine. Only played 9 holes, but there was still 70+% battery life left. (Last summer, I bought an extra battery, so I'm not too worried about battery life. But looks like this release addresses that issue.) It went to sleep between shots, but one push on the power button and it was quickly up and running.

The latest release is 2.3.001.

I am still waiting on the update - were you part of the beta testing? I wonder if they are just doing a rolling roll out rather than dumping it on everyone at once.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1332000861' post='4524827']
I am still waiting on the update - were you part of the beta testing? I wonder if they are just doing a rolling roll out rather than dumping it on everyone at once.
[/quote]

I was part of beta testing.. unit works very well for me now, glad I repurchased. Waiting for the other bells and whistles now.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I still love mine, played 40 rounds or so with mine last year, never really had an issue but I would love if there were some fixes.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='Johnny' timestamp='1332001037' post='4524841']
[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1332000861' post='4524827']
[/quote]

I was part of beta testing.. unit works very well for me now, glad I repurchased. Waiting for the other bells and whistles now.
[/quote]

I hope you can help me with this question. Is the software update available yet or just the beta testers? I have been all around Callaways website and cannot find it. My skycaddie broke and a friend gave me his UPro MX because it doesnt work well. And I am wanting to load the new software and see if it works before I buy a new SC.

^^
You have to call call away and your friend might have to as well. You need to have the ownership of the working upro switched over... the software checks the serial number...

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

[quote name='jola' timestamp='1332177903' post='4536531']
[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1332116587' post='4532239']
I dont think the new update is in wide release yet - at least I havent gotten it
[/quote]

Go to uxplore site and sync in .the update will be available
[/quote]

I was there yesterday and it was not available!

Just read all the posts and though my mx works great was excited to see about the new update. I connected my device after shutting down norton security and internet explorer security and making sure as it said you needed java 6.0. Signed into the site and sat back with patience and waited a bit and a pop up screen came up with the 2.3.001 update available, and clicked the start and downloaded and updated my device. As the above post said the new screen is great and it is instantly responsive. When messing with it at home, the old version before at home was sluggish and stubborn so I would only use it on the course where it worked great. Now, practicing with it at home, it responds instantly to the touch and I can't wait to go out today and try it out, even though it is going to be in the low 40's. Golfed last week in the 70's and got spoiled with the nice temps but back to normal now in the northeast. Will report back how it operates but waiting for it to warm up as its 30 out. Few more hours and time to golf!!!!!! Yesssssssss!!!!!

After doing the upgrade today, just got back from playing 18 and everything went perfectly with no problems at all. I'm glad I stuck with the unit from last year. Had good luck with it in the past and the updating the software to 2.3.001, changed some of the screen appearances, and even made it more fun and exciting!!!!!

[quote name='inthefairway' timestamp='1332878600' post='4593478']
After doing the upgrade today, just got back from playing 18 and everything went perfectly with no problems at all. I'm glad I stuck with the unit from last year. Had good luck with it in the past and the updating the software to 2.3.001, changed some of the screen appearances, and even made it more fun and exciting!!!!!
[/quote]

Did you or anyone had duplicate courses on your unit. Mine work flawlessly since the beginning but when there were course updates, i found a few courses had both version 2.0 and the newer version on my unit. I then deleted all my courses and he duplicate courses were still on my unit.
Customer service is taking care of it now, im sure its nothing.

Went out golfing again today and my upro mx performed well and I was trying to see if how much longer the battery life would go but only got 9 holes more in on top of the 18 I played yesterday because of a lightning and thunder storm with hail today!!! Made for an exciting ending to the golf round!!!! The battery still showed 42 percent still left and is suppose to be a problem they fixed, to get more running time out of the battery. Time will tell!!

I checked my unit to see if there was any duplicates of courses and do not see any so far but am keeping an eye out!!! I connected the unit to my pc and went back into the upro site to see if anything seemed unusual or duplicated there but none also. What I did run into was more updates for the unit and was a little concerned to down load them because of what was mentioned about the duplicate courses but went ahead and downloaded all of them. Not sure what they did but do not see any problems from them and the unit is operating well.

Actually, I kinda liked my mx when I had it. The size was nice [not bulky at all - I'm glad to see other manufacturers following suit now] and the options were nice also. Best of all, I never had any problem seeing the screen in any light. But I was worried that Callaway was going to abandon the whole GPS thing and return to their roots of just playing equipment so I returned it when they had the recall. I now have have the Garmin Approach G5. It works well but it is much bulkier and there is a screen viewing problem in some lighting conditions. All in all, I wish that I had my mx back.

Never got the MX b/c my OG uPro still works flawlessly. I'm glad Cally has supported this, and the market's still there if they want to. Just takes better management than they've had. The unlimited course availability makes the OG uPro great. I can get two rounds in before recharging with aggressive battery saving steps, but I just recharge after rounds or with a portable power pack while playing or plug-in while driving.

Cally and all others should realize - effective hardware + unlimited courses = customer satisfaction. I thought about picking up a used MX but too many issues to risk it, especially since I already have the uPro.

[quote name='SteveL227' timestamp='1331557351' post='4488437']
I was frustrated with my MX last summer, mostly because of random freezing and taking too long to re-boot while on the course. Drove my buddies nuts too, watching me curse the MX. But I just downloaded the new software release over the weekend and all seems to work fine. Just did one round at local course, but it worked perfectly.

One tip ... they remind you to have the most updated Java software loaded on your computer. Do that carefully. In my case, I had to uninstall several earlier releases of some Java software before loading the latest, and it even took several efforts to get that loaded right. (Some potential for user error.) In fact, on the chance that the Java software was browser specific, I overkill loaded it three times for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome. Once the Java was done finally, the new MX software loaded fine.

And the uPro MX unit now works fine. Only played 9 holes, but there was still 70+% battery life left. (Last summer, I bought an extra battery, so I'm not too worried about battery life. But looks like this release addresses that issue.) It went to sleep between shots, but one push on the power button and it was quickly up and running.

The latest release is 2.3.001.
[/quote]

Any more experience on the battery life?

I got my uPro MX a couple months ago (I had a uPro GO that broke so Callaway sent me an MX) and it worked OK for 18 holes, but the first time I tried to play 36 the uPro MX died after 27 holes.

I updated my uPro MX software last week. So far, battery life is WORSE. The device shuts off every couple of holes and I have to restart it. It's almost like if I don't use it for more than a hole or hole and a half, it gets jealous and turns itself off. Today I played 36 and the uPro MX only lasted about 20 holes again.

[quote name='Tone-NY' timestamp='1332776247' post='4583466']
Downloaded the new release now have to go out and play with it.
[/quote]

Same here !! Looking forward to trying the MX with the update .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I have the original uPro and am just about ready to throw it in my blender.

Getting updates onto the thing is a total nightmare. First, the Mac support is abysmal. Go to website, login, click the "sync my upro" and it takes me to a Mac Download link. Of course, the link is to a Windows .exe file. Contact support, they send me an update 5 days later. The hardware for the usb device is so terribly outdated that it unmounts itself after 30 seconds or so, so act fast or you can't update it. Copying to/from the device is criminally slow.

Finally I give up, use a Windows machine. Log in, accounts have been transferred to their new system. But mine didn't work and I don't pass the little account test feature. So I sign up as new, say sync my new upro. Download the sync program according to the link. Update to 4 fails. Have to clear the device. Have to format it and reset it to factory defaults. Finally get the update to let the thing start up, launch the sync program. It launches the website which links to - ARGH - the Sync program download. W. T. F.

Luckily after a week of waiting Callaway support finally found my old account and unlocked it. Apparently since it was tied to the device ID it allowed me to sync. Kicker - the update removed the "green" view on the free courses I have. Now it's just distance and hazard views. Seriously?

Owned this thing for over a year. Played maybe a dozen useful rounds with it helping at all - assuming it wasn't changing to the wrong hole, looking for a sat connection, or dying on #15. I've easily struggled with getting it working for more hours than it's been useful on the golf course.

Easily the single worst golf accessory I have ever purchased.

Still using my original uPro. Never had a problem updating or adding courses to it, but then I'm not an Apple fanbois. When they moved to the MX site, they upgraded me to unlimited courses for free. I don't know anything about losing green view in "free" mode as all courses in Pro Mode are free to me these days. Another case of YMMV.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead