Ping G20 vs I20 irons

Hole_in_8

Ping is at the top of my list right now to replace my old Titleist 962s. I'm just starting to get back into golf after a few years of very rare play. I shot in the 70s in my highschool and college days but now when I go out I'm in the 90s. Should I even look at the i20s or should I just stick to the g20s? Is it bad that I am just hating the way the g20s look! To me the i20s are much more appealing to look at it. I know this is probably not what I should look at but if I buy clubs once every ten years or so I have to consider everything. I just don't want to buy the i20s if they are going to be similar to my 962s. I can't hit them for the life of me any longer.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most better golfers would find the i20 pretty sweet. I have yet to break 90 on 18 (had some 42's on the front or the back, but a wheel or two always comes off somewhere) so I am getting fitted for G20's tomorrow.

G20 is possibly the easiest to hit iron I have tried, and as a bit of a flipper, I am looking forward to the wider soles. If they don't bother you, you'll probably love the G20's as well. If you get better and want to go with the i series latter, you'll get more of your investment back from your used Pings than any other brand.

Why not wait and hit them both before deciding though.

As the I20s have not yet been released to the general public, I will comment on G20s and G15s. The G20 and G15 are very similar, I don't think I could tell them apart, performance wise. I will assume the I20s are an improvement on the I15s, but not a huge change. I hit both, the I15s and G15s when I was fit. I hit them both well, but when I made a less than perfect swing, late in the session, when my back began acting up, the G15s had a clear advantage, most noticeably in the 5 and 6 iron. I bought the clubs that allow me to enjoy the game on days when my "A" swing doesn't come out of the trunk with my clubs, the G15s.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

The only wide sole irons I tried in Ping is the Rapture irons, when I decided that I needed something more forgiving, but then after one season, I just couldn't stand the look of a shovel anymore so I ditched that set. I decided to practice more and corrected my swings, so that's why I haven't gone back to wide sole irons anymore.

I was at a local golf shop yesterday and I had a chance to hit G20s and I15s since no i20s out yet and they didn't have a ping rep in house with any new clubs. I hit them both very similarly. I could tell the g20 was a bit more forgiving but not by a whole lot. And this is coming from someone who hasn't golfed in a few months. I like the look of the i15s better when looking down. The hugeness of the G20 just kind of turns me off to them. I'm assuming the i20s will be even more forgiving than the i15s so I may be going with them after all. I don't want to kick myself in a few months if I bought G20s when I wouldn't have had any trouble with i20s.

And I'm assuming all 3 of these sets g20, i15, i20 are leagues more forgiving than my 15 year old Titleist 962s

I can comment on this one. Went to be fit today for I20 irons. Really liked the look and hit them pretty well on the launch monitor. The fitter said just for fun hit the G20 to compare. Big , big difference in forgiveness and distance (same shaft, length, etc) Was consistently hitting the G20 in center of face, long and straight. While the I20s seemed forgiving, my numbers were consistently better on the launch monitor with the G20 so I decided to check my ego at the door and go the G20 Route. I play to a 10 hcp right now and irons are the week part of my game. Of course I will try to improve and possibly pick up the I20s at that time. By the way, the CST stock shaft is quite nice.

[quote name='Lobber' timestamp='1327798099' post='4169557']
I can comment on this one. Went to be fit today for I20 irons. Really liked the look and hit them pretty well on the launch monitor. The fitter said just for fun hit the G20 to compare. Big , big difference in forgiveness and distance (same shaft, length, etc) Was consistently hitting the G20 in center of face, long and straight. While the I20s seemed forgiving, my numbers were consistently better on the launch monitor with the G20 so I decided to check my ego at the door and go the G20 Route.
[/quote]

Precisely why you need to get fit. I had the opposite experience. I've played a lot of golf in the last year with the PING s56 iron and decided to try the i20. Fantastic numbers - felt like a forgiving s56. Same sensation off the face. Just for fun tried the G20 and found it numb and directionally vague. Not much snap/sling/control. More like a hail mary pass in football. Felt like I was just advancing the ball down the fairway. Distance was not quite as good. Too high with g20.

If you try to golf "straight" then G20 might be your club. But if you hit draws and cuts with an open or close stance you may find your ball not turning as much as you're used to.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='fat eel' timestamp='1326986672' post='4117243']
The only wide sole irons I tried in Ping is the Rapture irons, when I decided that I needed something more forgiving, but then after one season, I just couldn't stand the look of a shovel anymore so I ditched that set. I decided to practice more and corrected my swings, so that's why I haven't gone back to wide sole irons anymore.
[/quote]

I have a set of Rapture V2s. Nothing I have found yet performs better for me...I don't have a perfectly repeatable swing. The Rapture V2 helps me out if I am slightly off... And the faces (titanium) are as explosive as any I have hit (including my R7XDs that they replaced). My other set is J33s - a much more players CB iron...I'm just not consistently good enough to game them every day..

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

• 11 months later...

I have a question. I am getting ready to buy a new set of irons and I am pretty sure I am going to get the pings.

I have hit the g25, g20, and i20. I am really liking the g20 and i20 and was wondering, any reason I can't order g's in the longer clubs and have ping weaken the loft by 1 degree so they match i's in the scoring clubs?

Here is what I am thinking...

3H
4H
5-7 g20/g25
8-gw i20

I play at about 18-20 handicap but my weakness is my driver and putting. Irons is usually pretty consistent fade with a miss being a high ballooning fade.

Thoughts?

My Ping guy told me yesterday that Ping will strengthen or weaken the loft of an iron by one club. So....you can make the loft of your 4 iron to a 3 or 5 iron. This answer is totally wrong....read my post below.

Cleveland Classic 270
R11 3 Wood/Tee XCG-V 5 wood
Ping i20's 3-PW
Vokey 50,54
Tour Issue Ghost Corza
Srixon XV / Volvik /TP-X

[quote name='Bodee' timestamp='1359255976' post='6305995']
My Ping guy told me yesterday that Ping will strengthen or weaken the loft of an iron by one club. So....you can make the loft of your 4 iron to a 3 or 5 iron.
[/quote]

They will adjust 1 degree if that's what you want. I think a mixed set would be fine, but you may want to demo the G25 (full set) before deciding.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='clearwaterms' timestamp='1359252802' post='6305681']
I have a question. I am getting ready to buy a new set of irons and I am pretty sure I am going to get the pings.

I have hit the g25, g20, and i20. I am really liking the g20 and i20 and was wondering, any reason I can't order g's in the longer clubs and have ping weaken the loft by 1 degree so they match i's in the scoring clubs?

Here is what I am thinking...

3H
4H
5-7 g20/g25
8-gw i20

I play at about 18-20 handicap but my weakness is my driver and putting. Irons is usually pretty consistent fade with a miss being a high ballooning fade.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

I think that's a great idea. I'm thinking of selling my G20 5-7 irons with KBS and getting some G25 long irons to go with my i5s (I'm just curious to see what the G25s are like tbh). The G25s and i5s look nothing alike, and I don't care.

Let me know if you're interested, they're in really good shape.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT

I have had several clubs adjusted at Ping. They will adjust irons by 2* and hybrids by 1.5*.

It might be me, I have Ping G20 in the long irons as I experimented this season to see if they play better than my hybrids. The ease of hitting the i20 vs G20 are identical in my opinions so there is no benefit for me changing to the G20s. Now I have 3i-5i G20s sitting in the closet. I need to put them in the BST.

Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1359259029' post='6306289']
My Ping guy told me yesterday that Ping will strengthen or weaken the loft of an iron by one club. So....you can make the loft of your 4 iron to a 3 or 5 iron.
[/quote]

They will adjust 1 degree if that's what you want. I think a mixed set would be fine, but you may want to demo the G25 (full set) before deciding.
[/quote] Nessism would they not bend them 2deg strength wise,if so wouldn't that take away some of the bounce on the i20s

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1359289487' post='6307315']
[/quote]

[/quote] Nessism would they not bend them 2deg strength wise,if so wouldn't that take away some of the bounce on the i20s
[/quote]

Yes, they will bend the i20 a max of 2*.

Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

[/quote]

I demoed the g25 and it doesn't have the same feel as the i20 but to be fair I demo'ed it hitting only into a net with no feedback (balls light/simulator/etc.).

The g20 and g25 felt very similar in the 6/7 irons that I hit so I was thinking to save a few bucks get the g20s in the long irons.

[quote name='clearwaterms' timestamp='1359257746' post='6306171']
Is that a limit or will they adjust it a single degree? Also does it make sense to mix and match the g and I series?
[/quote] My question was to him that "if I had black dot irons, how much will Ping adjust them"? He said that they will go +.75 to a blue dot or -.75 to a red dot. He made it seem like it was a limit. OMG.....I'm so sorry. I just read my explanation of my conversation with him and got "lie angle" mixed up with "loft".

Cleveland Classic 270
R11 3 Wood/Tee XCG-V 5 wood
Ping i20's 3-PW
Vokey 50,54
Tour Issue Ghost Corza
Srixon XV / Volvik /TP-X

[quote name='Bodee' timestamp='1359339847' post='6311895']
[quote name='clearwaterms' timestamp='1359257746' post='6306171']
Is that a limit or will they adjust it a single degree? Also does it make sense to mix and match the g and I series?
[/quote] My question was to him that "if I had black dot irons, how much will Ping adjust them"? He said that they will go +.75 to a blue dot or -.75 to a red dot. He made it seem like it was a limit. OMG.....I'm so sorry. I just read my explanation of my conversation with him and got "lie angle" mixed up with "loft".
[/quote]

I would call ping and confirm that, I think they will go further than one color code, I thought they would do 2 or 3.