2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

We chose Pinehurst

stimpmeterp

4 guys, D.C based, Mid-April
Taking our buddy on a 3 day trip before his wife gives birth. Golf is the focus of this trip. Handicaps range from 5 to 15ish. Looking to play 18-36-18. There are great packages in Tampa and Orlando. However, I've been to Myrtle and had a blast. None of us have done Pinehurst.

Looking for your advice on the best players package for those who have done these long weekend trips.

What have you done and what would you do? Why?

Thanks guys!

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM9 56° 60° S300 | Toulon Garage Memphis

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='stimpmeterp' timestamp='1327111673' post='4127741']
Taking our buddy on a 3 day trip before his wife gives birth. Golf is the focus of this trip. Handicaps range from 5 to 15ish. Looking to play 18-36-18. There are great packages in Tampa and Orlando. However, I've been to Myrtle and had a blast. None of us have done Pinehurst.

Looking for your advice on the best players package for those who have done these long weekend trips.

What have you done and what would you do? Why?

Thanks guys!
[/quote]
I would highly recommend the World Golf Hall of Fame.

Paying a visit to the hall is in and of itself worth the trip. But there are also many incredible courses right there at the same exit, the accommadations are first class, and it is close to Daytona. The King and the Bear Course and The Slammer and the Squire are both immaculate. In addition there are other nearby courses. Grand Haven. Venitian Bay. Pelican Bay are all fairly close and are all top notch tracks that are all in wonderful condition, are well managed, and are a fair test for golfers of all levels.

I have done the Myrtle trip and it is awesome. It is also closer to your home base - an easier drive. Pinehurst is also an incredible track. But the WGHOF is THE hall of golf greats and memories. Anyone who loves the game has to come to this place at least once. What better time to make such memories than right before the most important event in your friend's life. When he changes in his name for the single most important name/job he will ever have - Dad.

Just my humble on it. No matter what all of your potential trip destinations are awesome - you cannot go wrong. But I just believe that the Hall is more than just a golf/golfing destination. It represents the best of the game we all love. It is a tribute and a memorial to the accomplishments of the greatest players who ever graced the course with their presence.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

We have a group of twelve guys going down to Pinehurst late March early April this year. We used http://www.clubhousepropertiesnc.com/, Jacqui and Steve are top notch people, I highly recommend them. This will be most of our groups first time to Pinehurst, everyone is really excited. We are going down for 3 days 4 nights 4 rounds and ended renting a house all for a very reasonable rate. If you do decide to use Club House Properties tell them Scott from the "Mountaineer" group sent you. Good luck and have fun.

Callaway Staffer

[quote name='TNSooner' timestamp='1327121582' post='4128607']
Pinehurst...stay at The Carolina Hotel...walk 2 blocks to Village of Pinehurst...(Dugan's Pub, Old Sport & Gallery, Gentleman's Corner, Pine Crest Inn, The Village Wine Shop)

Best golf experience ever...and it ain't close.
[/quote]

Hey Sooner - would you book directly through the hotel? What about rounds, book on our own or through a service?

I'd take Pinehurst over the other two options. As the above poster hinted on, Myrtle is mostly a party scene. Not any history or tradition of the game or anything like that there. And while there's tons of low-cost courses, none have the prestige of Pinehurst.

Golf Hall of Fame in Florida......cool if you're into that stuff. Lot of people don't find much interest in it though. Besides, Pinehurst has plenty of history itself and has its own mini museum in the clubhouse hallway with tons of memorobilia and stuff. Heck, the Hall of Fame used to be located at Pinehurst behind the 4th green of #2.

Good thing about Pinehurst for large groups is the shuttle service. You don't have to have a car to get around. The shuttle service even picks you up at the airport and will take you around to every course you play every day and take you into town for bars and dinner and back to the hotel. I don't think Myrtle -- or many other places at all -- offer this kind of service. You can stay in one of the resort hotels or rent one of the cottages (recommended for larger groups because everyone will have their own bedroom with common rooms for everyone) and then you never have to drive anywhere or even worry about your clubs. The shuttle will take you to your round each day and they will have your clubs there waiting for you so you don't even have to lug them into your room or anything.

And if you play #2, WALK AND TAKE A CADDY

I've only been to one of those places, but i would go back to pinehurst in a second over the other two. not sure what the price difference is however.

Pinehurst might be the coolest thing i've ever done in my life. as frustrating as it was to get rained out after 12 holes on #2 i loved just milling around in the clubhouse and taking it all in. i stayed at the holly inn down in the basement and loved the old feel. it's not a place that's going to overwhelm you with modern convienences and luxury, it's all about the golf. that's not to say the food was bad at the carolina (it was great), or the rooms were uncomfortable (they weren't as i think every room had an ethernet jack), or the staff bad (friendly and were always there to help shuttle you around the property) or anything like that. the bar did close at i think 11 in our hotel which i found odd (not sure how late the ryder cup room was open), but i didn't turn on the TV for 4 days. i walked the courses and hung out with the caddies at the halfway house during a storm rather than the other players. when people were buying trinkets in the pro shop i was spending time in the hall of champions, or sitting on the veranda watching people come up 18 on #2. instead of turning on the TV before bed or surfing the web, i fell asleep reading the book they put in every room "The Spirit of Pinehurst."

i enjoyed the experience so much i asked for and received the book for christmas and i can't wait to go back hopefully this april again. if you want to do a REAL golf trip go to pinehurst. if you want to do a guys trip that includes some partying and late nights with golf mixed in maybe myrtle or florida is a better option.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

i agree with the others, my group takes a golf trip every year and we first started in florida then i went to myrtle, then the nc coast and finally pinehurst. After we went to pinehurst, there is no discussion on where we are taking our trip to. If you go to Pinehurst then i highly recommend the Dormie Club. Unfortunately i was not playing well when i was there but that is a golf course you will never forget.

[quote name='K-Brown' timestamp='1327338715' post='4139867']
i agree with the others, my group takes a golf trip every year and we first started in florida then i went to myrtle, then the nc coast and finally pinehurst. After we went to pinehurst, there is no discussion on where we are taking our trip to. If you go to Pinehurst then i highly recommend the Dormie Club. Unfortunately i was not playing well when i was there but that is a golf course you will never forget.
[/quote]

You are the second person who mentioned Dormie Club.

Thanks to everyone for the input!

There is no place on earth which captures the true spirit of golf like Pinehurst. The Carolina Hotel is a wonderful 5 star golf resort. The shuttle service is great and they can guarantee you tee times on all of the Pinehurst Resort courses, including #2. The shuttle service is fantastic, the atmosphere is unparralled.

Needless to say there are other options. With 42 championship courses in the area, there are plenty of golf choices. If you do not stay at the Carolina you will have some difficulty getting tee times on Pinehurst Resort courses. The high season begins March 1, if you can get here prior you will find great bargains on rooms and golf. After March 1 rates go up everywhere.

Virtually every hotel has a golf packaging service. You should consider the Magnolia Inn [url="http://www.themagnoliainn.com/"]http://www.themagnoliainn.com/[/url] or the Pinecrest Inn [url="http://www.pinecrestinnpinehurst.com/"]http://www.pinecrestinnpinehurst.com/[/url] Both offer rooms and meals and golf. Both will be substantially less expensive than the Carolina, but both are centrally located in the Village of Pinehurst. The Magnolia is similar to a B&B, the Pinecrest Inn can be more like a fraternity house; just depends on what you are looking for.

Let me know what you decide. I call Pinehurst home and would be happy to help out with tee times or other logistics.

You might want to consider PGA National. Close to the airport and good facility for a guys trip for sure: Has a PGA Tournament Course (The Champion) and 4 others to rotate.

Visited the PGA National in Palm Beach and played The Champion, site of the ’83 Ryder Cup, ’87 PGA, 8 time host to the PGA Senior’s Championship and now the current home of the Honda Classic. The track was designed by Tom and George Fazio, opened in 1981 and later redesigned in 1990 and again in 2002 by Jack Nicklaus.
The course is a beautiful set up playing 7048 yards from the tournament tees. I played the blues at 6373, with the 35 mph winds the course felt like 8000 yards. This day called for 2, 3 and four club differences. For example, on the 7th hole, a 186 yard par 3, normally a 5 iron, I cremated a 4 wood to 2 inches short of the green. The wind was so wild that putts were being pushed on 10 footers.
It is said that the 15th, 16th and 17th are 3 of the toughest finishing holes on the tour and it is to be believed. Nicklaus designs very good tournament tracks and this is right up there with a lot of risk/reward plays for the pros. Just fantastic layouts with plenty of bunkers and water. In fact, there is water on 16 of the 18 holes. At the 15th tee there is a huge statue of a bear to mark the beginning of what is referred to as “The Bear Trap”. The 18th is the most scenic hole coming into the club house. The course was in great shape and an absolute blast to play. What I liked especially was that I could walk the course with a caddy that gave the experience that nice added touch. Could not believe the wind burn I got however.
Overall, the resort itself is a great place to spend a few days with 5 courses to play, absolutely top notch spa and a very good pro shop with terrific selections and wonderful service from the team there. There is also a Ledbetter learning center and a PGA van to get your clubs checked. All in all, a super time and highly recommended if you are considering a golf vacation to Florida.