2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

SkyCaddie Description

First, I want to say they have a good idea but products are subpar and out dated technology. They charge $399 for WiFi which doesn’t make too much sense because we have to charge battery most of the time anyways. Don’t get me started on the time it takes us to sync, my kids were in junior high when I started to sync and by the time SGX finished syncing, my kids were going off to college (Note: I don't have kids but I'm sure they would have been in college after syncing :D ). They should have invested into touch screen. If all the phone manufacturer can sell at a really cheap price or give away touch screen technology, I don’t see why SkyCaddie would charge us $399 plus annual subscription. I refuse to upgrade to WiFi without touch screen.

The worst sales pitch/BS I’ve heard is “easy navigation without touching, scratching or getting your display dirty”. What a load of crap! Can you dumb us golfers down any more? You are losing market shares to all the phone apps that we constantly touch, scratch and get dirty. Get with the times! I am and have been a loyal SkyCaddie owner and would spend money to upgrade to a better technology but not on this load of crap.

My 2 cents worth.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

….so, I bought a SkyCaddie SGX WiFi and

Just kidding. Going to buy Bushnell Pro 1M this weekend. :D

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I'm thinking SkyCaddie is Prehistoric and that Garmin is probobly outselling them 100 to 1 plus Garmin dropped there top of the line to under 300bucks.
I Think they probobly want the market and know how to go after it. This is great for all consumers driving the price down as the golf gps is no different than a good gps with topo maps or navigation maps of all roads and points of interest.

I have used Sky Caddie for 2 years now and never had any of the problems you are speaking of with the unit. They are not losing the market they are the leader. When mine was brand new with updates and sync it took less then 30 minutes. with only course changes it is a matter of minutes to do that sync. I am sorry you feel that way but they unit is detailed and works awesome!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1328040609' post='4186159']
I have used Sky Caddie for 2 years now and never had any of the problems you are speaking of with the unit. They are not losing the market they are the leader. When mine was brand new with updates and sync it took less then 30 minutes. with only course changes it is a matter of minutes to do that sync. I am sorry you feel that way but they unit is detailed and works awesome!
[/quote]

Do you have market share data? Garmin is a giant and now they got the g6 coming out. Should be interesting.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1328042053' post='4186297']
[/quote]

Do you have market share data? Garmin is a giant and now they got the g6 coming out. Should be interesting.
[/quote]

Well seeing they are the first and most of the people i see have their devices i was going by that. Which i could be totally wrong, do you have the numbers SA! But for you i will hire a firm to do the data! Let you know in a couple weeks!

Garmin is a giant but not in golf GPS. They are new to the market and are only on the second revision of there device. Total combined GPS yes there are most likely the leader, i myself have 2 Garmin GPS's for driving.

Why don't you go back to lurking!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 

I am on my 3rd SkyCaddie SG5 with subscriptions - and no problems. Yes, syncing is slow; but so is my Blackberry Bold phone to Outlook. Mind you, that Outlook data is on my computer, and it takes as long. I am not making excuses for SkyCaddie, just sharing tech knowledge. There are technology influences that SkyCaddie can NOT influence. Care to ask what they might be before whining; course if whining just because, then have at it.

When we sync to to SkyCaddie, we're syncing our unit to our computer, then using Internet Explorer (a security nightmare) different app on our computers, through the net (which has glitches) to a huge database on an application server elsewhere in the country; all while thousands of others are accessing that application server at the same time for the same reason. Course, you could buy another unit that has courses already installed, and whining on the board would be non-existent.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Have had my 2.5 (that I bought used local) for the past 3 years with no issues other than the one I bought it with which customer service fixed via the internet the same day. Subscription is one of my stocking stuffers at Christmas, so no issues with that either! Bought another 2.5 a few months ago on the bay for $10 and gave it to a friend. He is pleased also, but it did replace an SG3 that was pretty much worthless until the 7th hole. (took that long to acquire but he bought it used from the bay. I suspect it had been dropped or abused)

I didn't care for the size of the original Garmin that I used as part of their free 30 day trial, but it seemed to work okay.

I bought a sky caddie many years ago and always hated the fact that you could only load a certain # of courses depending how much you paid, and hated the syncing... I doubt I could get anything for mine because it has a scratch on the screen and I feel like there are better products out there. In fact, I bought the Golf logix app for my phone last year and with the exception of it draining my battery, I preferred it ove the sky caddie and best of all every course I played was available the moment I stepped on the course! Now I just use my rangefinder.

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1328203343' post='4197699']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well seeing they are the first and most of the people i see have their devices i was going by that. Which i could be totally wrong, do you have the numbers SA! But for you i will hire a firm to do the data! Let you know in a couple weeks!

Garmin is a giant but not in golf GPS. They are new to the market and are only on the second revision of there device. Total combined GPS yes there are most likely the leader, i myself have 2 Garmin GPS's for driving.

[/quote]

Wow sheppy what a defensive and sarcastic response! You make an authoritative claim and I was just curious if u had market data. I don't have the data but I didn't make the claim either, but I'd be curious to see it and its trend.

As for my observation, I have seen more guys dumping their skycaddie for smart phone apps primarily due to the annual fee. None of my golf friends have dumped other gps devices.

Sure garmin is newer at this, but a giant with deep pockets, and that's why I think garmin is one to watch.

Problem with smart phone GPS apps, they are NOT legal in tournaments that are played under USGA rules. SkyCaddies are legal for most amateur tournaments.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I think your last statement is dead on the money they have deep pockets and technology and research next to none to boot.
Remember that a lot of the companies are good but you need a big company to keep all the others honest.
This will lead to a better golf gps for all and drive the price down as well and likely get rid of those high annual fees which would go towards buying a new and updated golf gps about every 3 or 4 years just to keep up witht the technology.
Garmin has there new g6 selling for under $300 just about right.
Plus I like the fully Waterproof instead of Water resistant as it is an outdoor device, I'm just playing with mine in the swimming pool.:cheesy:

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1328216720' post='4199021']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow sheppy what a defensive and sarcastic response! You make an authoritative claim and I was just curious if u had market data. I don't have the data but I didn't make the claim either, but I'd be curious to see it and its trend.

As for my observation, I have seen more guys dumping their skycaddie for smart phone apps primarily due to the annual fee. None of my golf friends have dumped other gps devices.

Sure garmin is newer at this, but a giant with deep pockets, and that's why I think garmin is one to watch.
[/quote]

From Garmin User Guide. This is an issue.. Accuracy of GPS less than 33ft (10m) 95 % of the time.

If Garmin is only accurate to within 10M 95% of the time what is it the other 5%? Plus 10m is a club difference when hitting an appproach shot to a green. So If the device tells me its 150 is it or is it 140 or even 160? I don't really know, but at least 95% of the time it is within 10m.

Hmmmm.. Think I will stick with SkyCaddie..1.8m of accuracy 95 % of the time.. per their PGA show advertisement.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Garmin is not that new to the business. I have a 6 year old model, no longer available and very little support.

I have a 2.5 and it is constantly getting stuck on yardages or not giving me yardages at all, have to power on and off multiple times a round. SkyCaddies response to this was to call their service department and I asked him what if anything different they would do that we had already did and he said they would probably repeat what we just did.

I'm in the market and will probably go with something that doesn't have yearly user fees.

I have an old Sky Caddie SG3 for several years now and don't have any complaints. Sky Golf has continually updated the software over the years and the accuracy is as good as I need. It does take some time to download courses and my joystick is beginning to get intermittent. But I will probably replace it in the next year with a SGX. I have been pleased to date with the device's performance and ease of use.

[quote name='6t4gt0' timestamp='1328283183' post='4204889']
I have a 2.5 and it is constantly getting stuck on yardages or not giving me yardages at all, have to power on and off multiple times a round. SkyCaddies response to this was to call their service department and I asked him what if anything different they would do that we had already did and he said they would probably repeat what we just did.

I'm in the market and will probably go with something that doesn't have yearly user fees.
[/quote]

I still have my 2.5, but aside from hardly used, it was put away in favor of newer technology. fyi: the technological difference between 2.5 and, say SG5 is considerable, as is the satellite networking and communications in place when 2.5 was developed, compared to current technology. I am surprised it still works at all. For old 2.5 technology to keep working - software workarounds have to be written in conjunction with current technology; its costly and time consuming, adding to development and operational costs. I predict, soon 2.5 will no longer be supported because it won't be able to handle current processing demands. Course, none of that will come from the mouths of customer service.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can be sarcastic when provoked. No market data only what i have heard in ad claims. I do agree that one day Garmin might be the best and they will get their accuracy down like the driving GPS's.. Alot of the guys i have played with that have smart phone GPS's had issues with battery life and accuracy. distances were off and even holes doglegged the wrong way. Saved one guy from a watery grave when he teed up pointing for a dogleg right and it was left. No market data to back this up only a handful of hands on experiences. I look at it this way everyone is entitled to what they feel is the best, is it who knows. I love the product i have and it works great for me.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 

I have an old SG3 for years now and have been pleased with it. The only time I had to contact Sky Golf for help the fixed the problem (I couldn't sync) quickly. I don't have any significant complaints about the device or service. The SG3 is getting a little wear on it and I have been thinking about replacing it. I ask my buddy about his Garmin and his only complaint was that there is one course we often play that isn't included in thousands of pre-loaded courses. Just on the outside looking in he seems to "fiddle" with the Garmin more than I do the SG3, but that might just be we used them differently.

[quote name='ghalfaire' timestamp='1328886036' post='4251791']
I have an old SG3 for years now and have been pleased with it. The only time I had to contact Sky Golf for help the fixed the problem (I couldn't sync) quickly. I don't have any significant complaints about the device or service. The SG3 is getting a little wear on it and I have been thinking about replacing it. I ask my buddy about his Garmin and his only complaint was that there is one course we often play that isn't included in thousands of pre-loaded courses. Just on the outside looking in he seems to "fiddle" with the Garmin more than I do the SG3, but that might just be we used them differently.
[/quote]

Yes you definatly will fiddle with the Garmin more as it is so easy to use and you don't have to remember where all the buttons are to operate it and get full use out of it.
Thank god for touch screen and modern technology. On the Garmin Request a coarse site your friend can just send in a request and it will be updated on the quarterly free update worked for me on 2 coarses.
I like the golf gps so much I fired my full time caddy which really cut back on expenses like golf trips lodging and meals as my caddy was hired full time.
Now she just stays at home cleans and cooks and does my laundry does the yard work which just gave her all that extra time to really enjoy herself.

:cheesy: