2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Ping drivers - i20 or g20?

Jack84

I'm with you all can't go wrong with G15 or 20 or I20, I'm buying one, just don't know which one, leaning toward G20 with tour stiff, or I20 with Ping shaft. Problem is I'm two hours away from comparing them.
Does the I20 face look square or open?

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Rife Two Bar Hybrid Blade
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JT_Los Angeles' timestamp='1329109408' post='4273217']
I bought the i20 today in the 8.5 with the Ping 707 X-flex. Spin numbers super low...even had some drop below 2000. I hit the g20 too and it was great...but the i20 explodes of the face. ball speed higher, carry longer, rolled farther...hard to beat that.

Oh and it looks frickin' cool!
[/quote]

I finally did a legit comparison and hit a few I20 drivers and wow this thing is amazing. My spin #'s were often under 2,000 (i am usually a low spin driver so this just accentuated it) and i hit 3 shots over 280 carry with all of them rolling out to 310 or better!! This was all with a 9.5 Project X 6.5. My SS was around 110-114 and I cant wait to pick this club up, its an absolute monster. I hit the G20 and it just didnt compare.

To the OP, go with the I20 all the way. And yeah I agree, looks so sweet.

well out with the g20 and ive just bought a i20 project-x stiff 9.5,taking it out for a spin today and see how it goes,

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

The G20 has kicked my 910 D2 outta the bag....censored.gif

[size=3][color=#696969][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]King LTD Pro 8.5* Rogue 60X[/font][/i][/font][/color][/size]
[color=#696969][size=3][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70[/font][/i][/size][/color]
[color=#696969][size=3][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* Motore Speeder 865X[/font][/i][/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#696969][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][i]Titleist 716 CB 4-PW DG AMT X100
SM6 52*08F, 56*10S, 60*04L S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser V-Line
Titleist Pro V1x[/i][/font][/font][/color][/size]

Currently have both an I20 and G20. I hit the G20 on an indoor LM at Edwin Watts. They did not have an I20 demo to hit. They let me take a G20 to the course before purchasing. According to the LM numbers, a G20 10.5 with the Ping 169 stiff was ideal. I did not think so but then again I do not believe in indoor fittings only> I want to see the ball flight matched with the feel of impact and take into account the pass that I feel like I made. Anyway, I took the G20 to the course and I thought is was pretty good but a little loose and too high of a launch. Met a guy who had a new I20 10.5 707 stiff. Hit both side by side for 9 holes. Took the G20 demo back and bought the I20. Since then, I went to an outdoor demo day where the Ping fitter fit me into an 9.5 G20 with a 169 x stiff. I feel like I hit it better than anything else that day but no launch data. Ordered the same with the digital loft of 9.5 and .5 degree open at 45". Played one round last weekend with no range time before. Much better dispersion, distance appears similar but hard to tell with wet fairways. Ball flight was lower and straight straight and did I say straight. The fitter actually gave me an alignment tip that had me striping whatever I had in my hand that day. I can work the I20 either direction but a bad swing gets pretty bad results. The G20 is a 3 yard fade to dead straight. If I tug on it a hair, left edge of the fairway. I really have to work hard to draw it without over cooking into a hook. I like the feel of the I20 better.....solid, but not harsh probably because of the softer tip in the stiff shaft vs x. The x flex in the G20 is not harsh but not as pleasing. But at the end of the day, it is hard to argue with straight and long. I can choke down an inch on the G20 and bunt it out there 250-260 with a low bullet like flight or make a solid controlled swing to 270-275. Again, no roll yet. Will hit both side by side this weekend and one will be leaving on Monday. Keep your eyes open for a really good deal. BTW, ss is 106 to 113 depending on how tight my back is. Low single digit hdcp.

TM M2 9.5 Aldila Tour Green 65X
TM M1 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 75TX
Ping Anser 20* hybrid UST VTS silver 100S
Ping I200 4-UW Z-65
Ping I-15 4-UW Z-Z65
Cleveland RTX 3 54* and 58*
Odyssey Two ball Fang
Ping Hoofer 2014

The i20 is phenomenal. I'm hitting drives in places on the golf course I've NEVER been.

If you're looking for forgiveness, go with the G20 though. The i20 is plenty forgiving, but it's nowhere near the G20 in those terms...The i20/707D combination is a perfect match. While it's long, super low spin, and looks great, if you miss-hit a shot, the i20 isn't all that much more forgiving than the 910D3..

If there was a perfect comparison to make, I would say the i20 is a significantly more forgiving than the Titleist 910D3, but neither can come close to the G20 strictly looking @ forgiveness....

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

I sold my G20 and will stick to my 910d2. I did not like the look of the G at address-- too large with a square face. It faded more than my D2, not the combo I seek in a SGI type of driver. I'll probably pick up an i20 later this year. The shape fits my eye better than the G, and I'm expecting excellent sound and feel. The G20 is soft feeling yet loud, and not he feedback I'm looking for.

[quote name='Sting'ray' timestamp='1331841881' post='4514745']
[b]The G20 has kicked my 910 D2 outta the bag....[/b]
[/quote]
[quote name='allsportscoach' timestamp='1331848787' post='4515315']
[b]What setup did you go with?[/b]
[/quote]

[size="4"]G20 10.5* Oban Devotion 7 X stiff 75g 44.5" D5 SW[/size]

Much easier to hit consistenly good shots than the D2....20 yards longer than my 9.5* D2
I thought the 910 D2 was fantastic , but the G20 is [u][i]hands down[/i][/u] better/more forgiving/longer..
I do like the sound of the D2 better, the results of the G20 kick the D2 outta the bag though...no comparison .Extremely impressed.

[size=3][color=#696969][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]King LTD Pro 8.5* Rogue 60X[/font][/i][/font][/color][/size]
[color=#696969][size=3][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70[/font][/i][/size][/color]
[color=#696969][size=3][i][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* Motore Speeder 865X[/font][/i][/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#696969][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][i]Titleist 716 CB 4-PW DG AMT X100
SM6 52*08F, 56*10S, 60*04L S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser V-Line
Titleist Pro V1x[/i][/font][/font][/color][/size]

I compared them back to back on the range today, many balls. The I20 is straight, straight, straight. The G20 was right, right, right. I thought it was my swing, but every time I put the G20 down and went back to my I20 it went straight. I20 for me. Granted I do have a Fubuki Alpha 70x in my I20 and the G20 had a stock TFC stiff.

[quote name='raytracer' timestamp='1332207614' post='4540023']
I compared them back to back on the range today, many balls. The I20 is straight, straight, straight. The G20 was right, right, right. I thought it was my swing, but every time I put the G20 down and went back to my I20 it went straight. I20 for me. Granted I do have a Fubuki Alpha 70x in my I20 and the G20 had a stock TFC stiff.
[/quote]

It was all about the shaft to me too. The 9.5 degree G20, with a stock stiff, went off the planet right for me. I also hit it very high. I didn't try it with an extra-stiff, so I don't know what the results would be, but I have a feeling it would still be too high. With the stock stiff in the 9.5 degree i20, I hit it right (I play a draw). With an extra-stiff TFC 707D, I had much better results--longer, straighter, lower trajectory, and was able to work and control the ball much better. Even with the x-stiff in there, ball flight was too high and ballooned too much for my liking. There is a Ping demo day in my area in the next day or two, so I'm going to check it out and see if they have other shaft and head options that fit me better.

[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1329086501' post='4269801']
[quote name='lawrencedc1' timestamp='1329085540' post='4269617']
Tou Shey. Data and physics aside. I would still like to hear some tangible on course comparisons vs the G15. forgiveness wise.
[/quote]

I think you mean[size="2"] 'touché'.[/size]

[size="2"]I agree that technical data doesn't necessary tell the whole story and that, ultimately, the proof is how it performs on the course. My point was merely that it's wrong to look at the i20 as purely a players driver, as with the i15, given it's comparative forgiveness relative to the G15 - a club which is suitable for low to high handicaps alike. [/size]
[/quote]

I have both I20 and G15 7.5 (both digitally lofted at 8.1) same shaft but different flex (G15 Stiff tipped and I20 X flex) same length, swingweight as well. I can say that the forgiveness is very close if not improved with the I20 in terms of distance loss on miss hits but directionally the G15 is more forgiving on miss hits. If you have a swing flaw that causes a push or pull the I20 will not over correct as much as the G15. Strangely enough for me my miss with the G15 would result in a push and with the I20 my miss is a pull, but this could be a direct result of the shaft stiffness and not the bias of the head.

Last and most important point is that the I20 is at least 15 yards longer for me on solid shots vs the G15.

I plan to keep both and use both depending upon the course I play as they are both excellent driver's...

I think PING should release the G20 in the matt black finish with black face like the i20. I think sales would rocket, everybody who see's my i20 wants to have a hold and waggle of it, they all comment on how great it looks. a lot of these people are mid-high handicappers who the G20 would fit better and if they did a stealth version I'm sure they'd be all over it. Me I'm very happy with my I20 NV RIP combo but I may be tempted to pick up a low lofted G20 to try later in the season. 2 Great drivers from Ping.

[quote name='woods991' timestamp='1328100332' post='4190521']
[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1328099544' post='4190501']
I think some people are trying to posit the i20 as a 'players' only club in the same vein as the i15. This is wrong. [b][u]Let's not forget the i20 is more forgiving that the G15. [/u][/b]
[/quote]

I know, the i20 not even close to the i15 forgivness, spin etc. The i20 reminded me of a beefy and better looking g15. When I tested i was like fine, but had zero expectations on liking the i20, but the rep said just hit it you will love it, I replied sure, having the bad thoughts of what I thought was a terrible driver in the i15. But wow, once I hit it, so so much better than the TM line this year, in every aspect. That is one awesome driver, now the key is finding the right shaft, I was not a huge fan of the PX offering in the i20.
[/quote]

did u try the tfc stiff? its a bit heavier and launches lower and has less spin than the px

[quote name='swirvn' timestamp='1332276323' post='4545030']

Last and most important point is that the I20 is at least 15 yards longer for me on solid shots vs the G15.

[/quote]

This is exactly my results with the i15 versus the G15. There are times that I could use a more forgiving driver like the G20, bur I am always going to [color="#FF0000"]think[/color] that I am leaving a few yards on the table if I grab that over an I20.

I had a G20 for a while, but it couldn't beat out my Miyazaki / 910 D2 combo for whatever reason. Just an hour ago I finally got my hands on an i20 so I am going to put a Kusala White 56X in there and see how it goes. From hitting an i20 indoors the thing just fits my eye beautifully like a stealth bomber or something. This combo has been a dream of mine for the last 3 months so I will report back after I get the Miyazaki installed.

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

There are a lot of G20's available on the BST. I'm not sure what to make of that. The G15 is such a fantastic driver (incredibly forgiving) I can't understand why the G20 doesn't seem to be doing better.

Is the I20 that much longer? Did the I20 simply close the gap on forgiveness? Is it a looks thing? All of the above maybe?

7 index....I purchased the I20 8.5 with px 6.5, coming from a G20 8.5* ahina 60s. I20 launches about the same and spins much less. The stock PX 6.5 shaft felt very loose and was hard for me to control. I had the club tested for flex and it came in at 251 cpm which I think is a normal stiff, actually it was so inconsistent it took a few pulls just to get a reading. I had the shaft removed and replaced with a Kai'li 60x tipped 3/4. CPM came back at 268 and the spin is still less than 2000. The lowest I could get my spin was around 3200 with every other driver/shaft , this head is by far the lowest spinning head I have ever played. I am hitting more fairways as the side spin is way down too. I played the G10 for a few years, R9, i15 and G20 and the I20 is by far the best of them all. It is the most accurate , has the straightest flight and is a few yards longer than anything I have hit. I would recommend the stock Ping shaft vs the PX or spend the money on a high quality shaft to stick in this head.

I'm going to eat my hat on this one but I am going to order a G20 as well. :russian_roulette:

I have played with the I20 for a couple of weeks and continue to find it hard to control. The distance is there and even longer than my G15 on solid hits but directionally my misses are all over the place. I had planned to play with it in the Azalea tournament last week but after a practice round with it there was no confidence or control. I went back to the G15 for the tournament and played great so I don't think it was the swing. I played again yesterday and the control issues continue. I guess I underestimated the forgiveness in the G15 and come to the realization that having shot shaping control with a driver is not a good thing for me. I need Aim and Shoot so the G20 might be the next best thing to the G15...

G20 9.5 169 tour x stiff. Low spin and extremely straight. After some course time, can confirm that I love this driver.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X

[quote name='lang30' timestamp='1332819878' post='4589334']
G20 9.5 169 tour x stiff. Low spin and extremely straight. After some course time, can confirm that I love this driver.
[/quote]

Completely agree. I have the same shaft with the 8.5* and it's a low spinning, super forgiving rocket launcher. The i20 didn't do it for me in the driver or fairway woods. Just ordered a G20 4 wood with the Ping Tour shaft too.

:partytime2:

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

I just sold my G20 9.5 today in favor of an i20. I played the G20 for 3 rounds and just didn't like it. Think I may had gotten the wrong loft and shaft. Driving the ball is the worst part of my game. I really hold myself back on the tee. But I demoed an i20 the last 3 times out and love everything about it. I will be on a launch monitor to compare the two for numbers sake on saturday morning, but I believe I am going to go with the i20 after on course testing, just in a higher loft than the 9.5 I was able to demo.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

I will be gaming the G20, I tend to have low launch low spin, so I ended up ordering a 12 degree G20 with the tour spec ping shaft, I went and got fitted on a launch monitor and the numbers were all around better with the g20 then the i20 even though i liked the look of the I better. Numbers don't lie and that is what i had to go off of.

SLDR TP 10.5 Tour AD DI6x
SLDR 3HL Stock Stiff
Adams A12 Pro RIP 85s
Tour Preferred 4-5 CB 6-PW MC KBS Tour V
Ping Anser Milled 1
TM Tour Preferred 50,54,58

I had both driver as I really thought it would be hard for anything to kick my G20 out of the bag till the i20 came as this thing just looks sexy long. I'm hitting mine with a Matrix RUL 50 shaft & it's a mid launching bomber. The G20 head looks so much bigger as both are Sweet with you have the right shaft. Looks, feel, sound & distance goes to the i20 & forgiveness goes to the G20 but not by much at all. Best driver for 2012

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Was planning on getting G20 going in but ended up getting the I20 after trying both with quite a few shafts. I am hoping that I have it by end of week.
Can't wait to get on the course and try it. On the driving range it was significantly longer. It definitely had the best launch and lowest spin based on how much the ball would run out when it would land.
I will report back once I get on the course with it.

I have 2 G20's 9.5 Tour stiff and a 10.5 169 Regular(SS 103)... I bought regular flex because it was a great deal and thought about selling it and taking the profits... luckily I hit it on the range and was hitting high straight bombs... I don't work it much but have not had the need too.... I have gotten that accomplished yet (11 capper).... it shaved 8 strokes off my card, enough said

TM SLDR with Motore Speeder
Cally XR 3 wood
Cally XHot 2 5w
Cally XR 7w
Ping G25 5i & 6i
Ping i20 CFS 7i - GW
Cally Jaws wedges 54* and 58*
Spider Daddy Long Legs 1st gen