2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Squish n turn

vision541

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1349902786' post='5777729']
Those stats are really interesting Flop....Actually, I am an example of squish 'n turn......a few months ago I was probably playing to a 8-9 handicap, occasionally shooting the middle 70's but erratic...once I learned about what you guys are talking about and began implementing, my index dropped to 4.2. I went to the range today and broke the face of my driver...now maybe it's a coincidence but I have been playing for 25 yrs and that never happened....I think it is primarily due to spot on contact in the middle of the face and faster club head speed....

I use to be a hybrid classic/modern mostly rotational if anything and I always knew I had not found it....and I am a student of the game...and thought I really understood..until I began reading your stuff.....

I thought Dan Shauger was a Hogan guy....he made the sack of cement very clear...

I used the left hand drill (your video) as a practice swing which helped me to FEEL the correct move down...

Thanks
[/quote]

drivers today are thin, Hans have broken 4 or so faces the last few years if not more.
he got a new one last year, broke it in a few days.
silly.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

So it wasn't my supersonic swing speed that crushed my drivers face:) you had mentioned in a previous post that "using the hands" was a topic for another post...is there something I could begin to understand, particularly as a winter project....in that vain..would you recommend studying MA...

Peter

I tried on my own for years, I also took lessons.
In my regard the Mike Austin principle one makes most sense and that is what squish is talking about.
My approach has been [b]feel[/b], [i]as you need to have enough variation and experience swinging to get enough feedback to formulate an approach that works.[/i]
Doing so also allows one to as some say dig in the dirt but that term lacks definition also as what do one pay attention to when one does that?

Last year in Spain I hit the ball as a 30 handicap and 3 weeks later it was down to a 1 handicap and as I was hitting it flush still knew that my back wouldnt cope with it down the line due to being a classic swing I learned from my local lessons. I moved on and started to dig into the Mike one for real.
It would have gone faster with someone around to teach me but at least I got time to do it.

I hit the ball well during midsummer but I didnt really know why, and I played likely my best the first day of the club championchip that I ever done but due to illness second day I had nothing left. I improved my short game and the putting is beyond pro level. I also managed to reach all par 5 here on 2 except one a 480y one where I was 5y short.
As I progressed, bits and pieces started to make sense and finnaly it started to move to the aha moment.
Last 2 holes, hit a 7i dead on, approach with 52w was dead on short but the right club even under cold and wet conditions. last hole, chat on tee as someone stated none hit it 280y in the club, I raised my hand and with them behind me putting pressure up I hit a drive long and won the long driving on the hole, but next shot a 4i hybrid was even better and during the conditions it was as flush it could be.
I understood now how to position my body to release fully and to hit it flush at impact, as I went the next day to the range in spite of cold and rain and it was closed still just hit 4 balls but for me it just confirmed that it was it.

Anyhow, if one digs it out, make variation in every range session, I often hit the ball all over the place the first 30 balls due to [b]waiting for the thing I worked on to kick in[/b] and sometimes it took 70..
Once your able to position your body in the down swing to flush it, then making the hands become active you can add power to the release as then the timing is known, I wouldnt start to add hands actively until the sensation that the left arm and body needs to stay way back or else your body is falling over from the force of the clubhead into impact and beyond. Mike austin felt like his l[b]eft arm socket was pulling out of its position [/b]and unless you have that sensation your not releasing it fully.
Its also really hard to have a compensation in place due to the force involved will create injury. Normally if the adress has a 30 gripressure it should be the same at the top and at impact, 95% of golfers even some pro´s tigthen the grip and slow down the swing. Showing them how much they grip and add pressure during the swing is for many a eyeopener.

Once you find the angle for the on plane sensation in the down swing, then hitting it flush, its then the proper path to play solid golf as then you know how to get there every time as a Pro does it unless they listen to some theory guru.
I had my sisters kid hit 60 balls, he hit them so fat and he became upset angry even, tired and frustrated, I let him cool down and said to let his grip loosen make sure he didnt release actively and early and waited it out and the first shot he did he flushed it, and I said that is how Pro impact feels like.
Failure dosnt matter once you have the feel for a solid flush shot the brain is really good identifiying it and with some good instruction also replicating it isnt that far off.

I met a couple on the range, the guy around 60 years old had a classic swing, so during the talk I adjusted two things and he started to hit it flush and the look of his face said it all. That is the feel and response to it much like greatness.

I rarely give advice as instruction basically needs to be hands on.
Internet, video all and all but the feel of alignment and movement of the body isnt there.
Feel + evidence of the body doing the right thing when that happens is lacking in golf instruction.
I met this kid age 21 in spain, me and Hans talked to him and he had golf instructors trying to tell him what to do with video and all and the instructor actually came up and talked to me during dinner and said he was so close to get it right, and me and Hans made him hit it flush in 5 minutes and as I looked at the PGA instructor I knew one thing.

Find a way to hit it flush once your able to do that organize the body to make that happen as efficient as possible and by far Mike Austin did hit it 300+yards in his 70´s with that equipment and today with modern equipment he would outdrive Bubba at that age. so for me its a no brainer. No other system makes the ball go longer and more straight and is easy on the body and low maintance.

Golf God

thanks for that Flopper...so one year you were a 30 and the next year a 1...omg...that is amazing...you must have extraordinary natural ability....but from what I have accompolished this season I dropped 3-4 handicap points so I know it can be done....but 50 yds increase...are you exaggerating or is that what you actually experienced?

I like the feel of staying in the back right quadrant as you squish...I wasn't aware of MA's feeling of letting the left arm fly out of its socket....but i get it...

but beyond pro putting....if i was there i would be a plus handicap....so what's the deal there?...are we just talking about your advanced ability to see the line and get the ball to the cup or is there more?

thanks for your posts..

Peter

In the quality of the swing contact yes.Not per handicap.But the progress my swing had those 3 weeks wasnt judge by me but him.
I did change it since my back wouldnt hold up for the distance I wanted and dug the austin out in the dirt. Took a bit wee longer due to no instructor here.

The guy I coach 50yard plus after one session with the old swing 30yards with irons.
He is a plus handicap guy. He hit it longer with the swing he use today.
Golf is a precision game after x distance its all about consistency hitting it flush etc..

Putting is a few things done right, seeing the line is one which is the ability to read the slope and judge tracking in how the ball roll.
second is the ability to trust the technique you have is square every time.
Third is mental.
Fourth is performance state.
Fifth is to practice properly to increase skill.
I met Pro´s, seen them in action and putting green is one thing and on the course another.

Increasing distance is easy with good technique, once that is there the skills to judge distance and develop consistency take time.
I dropped around 5 or so shots each round with putting alone the last 3 years.
I been working out the baseline of the golf swing and defining that as its been bugging the hell out of me why the golf field suck so much teaching it.
3 years ago I hit drives between 180-220yards If I did hit one really good maybe I was at 240.
The period I was hitting it this summer I ended up in places I never been close to before.
Up to 300yards, and average 260-290 or so.
I expect however I be a bit longer next year once I refined what I currently do.
I have lacked consistency but now have found out how to do that also.

Golf God

Hi Flop
Played today..like s***....I found most of my irons were fine....hit well, good direction and distance...in contrast, I was pulling my driver, three wood and hybrid....not all the time but most...I think that some of the misses were due to rotation and not swinging...but I'm only guessingmat the other pulls,.... Maybe moving (C7) too much, but since they weren't hooks, I'm thinking OTT. I was also not it rolled with the distance...shorter than usual....

My setup I believe was ok, I took the club back by straightening the right knee, not locking it out but straightening, my DS was EITHER straightening my left knee which I always do with my irons and have no issues, OR squishing the QL. I tried to stay back on my right side and allow my left arm to sling out....

Do you hear anything wrong? I'm wondering if I failed to stay in the right quadrant long enough?

Peter

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350240263' post='5792891']
Hi Flop
Played today..like s***....I found most of my irons were fine....hit well, good direction and distance...in contrast, I was pulling my driver, three wood and hybrid....not all the time but most...I think that some of the misses were due to rotation and not swinging...but I'm only guessingmat the other pulls,.... Maybe moving (C7) too much, but since they weren't hooks, I'm thinking OTT. I was also not it rolled with the distance...shorter than usual....

My setup I believe was ok, I took the club back by straightening the right knee, not locking it out but straightening, my DS was EITHER straightening my left knee which I always do with my irons and have no issues, OR squishing the QL. I tried to stay back on my right side and allow my left arm to sling out....

Do you hear anything wrong? I'm wondering if I failed to stay in the right quadrant long enough?

Peter
[/quote]

Once you set up, keep the distance from the eyes to the ball the same once you swing.
as long its the same you cant rotate and will passively leverage the swing.

without seeing the swing in action, its impossible to say what is going on as I dont trust what people tell me.
their perception gets in the way.

Golf God

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350240263' post='5792891']
Hi Flop

My setup I
believe was ok, I took the club back by straightening the right knee, not locking it out but straightening, my DS was EITHER straightening my left knee which I always do with my irons and have no issues, OR squishing the QL. I tried to stay back on my right side and allow my left arm to sling out....

Peter
[/quote]

If you hung back too much that could cause your pull as well. Don't force your C7 back away from the ball because it moves the circle which changes the low point. If you are doing that then it may cause thin shots. Your thought about rotating is causing the pull may be spot on. That is my issue but it creates hooks for me with the occassional pull hooks. but it is hard to tell without seeing the swing.

Hey Flop:
I was re-reading your posts and saw how you have suggested keeping the distance between your eyes and the ball. I never thought that much about that but today when you said it again, I figured that you wouldn't repeat unless you felt it was worthy.
So I went over to the range and just worked on that and OMG , it cured all of what I was experiencing yesterday. By doing that it became unnecessary to straighten the right leg deliberately.
In addition I recalled your comment or it might have been Breaves, that the old timers called it a swing because of Squishes concept of the bell and the ringer. So I also just pictured that (the back and forth 6" and 12") while maintaining the distance. I think I can now understand when you spoke about increasing driving distance.
The only thing I found was that I did push a lot of the drives, not the irons, so maybe I was standing to close to the ball at set up.

Peter

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350321079' post='5796339']
Hey Flop:
I was re-reading your posts and saw how you have suggested keeping the distance between your eyes and the ball. I never thought that much about that but today when you said it again, I figured that you wouldn't repeat unless you felt it was worthy.
So I went over to the range and just worked on that and OMG , it cured all of what I was experiencing yesterday. By doing that it became unnecessary to straighten the right leg deliberately.
In addition I recalled your comment or it might have been Breaves, that the old timers called it a swing because of Squishes concept of the bell and the ringer. So I also just pictured that (the back and forth 6" and 12") while maintaining the distance. I think I can now understand when you spoke about increasing driving distance.
The only thing I found was that I did push a lot of the drives, not the irons, so maybe I was standing to close to the ball at set up.

Peter
[/quote]

Well good it works, mainly when things work just trust the stuff and play.
swing to target as I say. Ballposition might affect or just set up.
It might also be some compensation you have that will slowly fade away as you continue doing things right.
I would check grip pressure and tempo.
Those two often can really mess things up - due to making the sequence out of order in the kinetic chain. drop tempo 10-20% if that squares it up your sequence is out of order.

yea, people tend to say eyes on the ball but what they should have said is maintain distance to ball.
Its one of those things that make swinging easier. I put a patent on it.

Golf God

[quote name='flopper' timestamp='1350328125' post='5797133']
[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350321079' post='5796339']
Hey Flop:

Peter
[/quote]

Well good it works, mainly when things work just trust the stuff and play.
swing to target as I say. Ballposition might affect or just set up.
It might also be some compensation you have that will slowly fade away as you continue doing things right.
I would check grip pressure and tempo.
Those two often can really mess things up - due to making the sequence out of order in the kinetic chain. drop tempo 10-20% if that squares it up your sequence is out of order.

yea, people tend to say eyes on the ball but what they should have said is maintain distance to ball.
Its one of those things that make swinging easier. I put a patent on it.
[/quote]

that is an idea that SHOULD be patented...i agree with the tempo thing... at one point during my practice session I began to swing abit more slowly which resulted in a more complete swing and better impact

I think that the problem I was having when I only thought about straightening my right leg during the backswing was that my C7 moved up and back to some degree....while maitaining the distance the feel was quite different..

Do you squish on the backswing?

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350329521' post='5797277']

[/quote]

I to do things myself which simply put is blended with figure out and defining.
Normally a drop of left side with left heel raise to create angle is what I am trying to do.
still turn a bit to much for my liking which been left for later tuning since I wanted to figure out some other things first.
Once that has happen the backswing kinda works better since I know where to go for impact now.
Season over here and not likely to get out anymore until april/may or so.

Golf God

[quote name='flopper' timestamp='1350331205' post='5797481']
Hey Flop
So when you are dropping the left side on the BS you are at the same time raising your left heel to give you the angle you are looking for?

[/quote]

Normally a drop of left side with left heel raise to create angle is what I am trying to do.
still turn a bit to much for my liking which been left for later tuning since I wanted to figure out some other things first.
Once that has happen the backswing kinda works better since I know where to go for impact now.
[/quote][quote name='flopper' timestamp='1350331205' post='5797481']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350341841' post='5798473']
[quote name='flopper' timestamp='1350331205' post='5797481']
Hey Flop
So when you are dropping the left side on the BS you are at the same time raising your left heel to give you the angle you are looking for?

[/quote]

[/quote][quote name='flopper' timestamp='1350331205' post='5797481']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]dropping the left side while raising the left heel feels good...but the same distance from the eyes to the ball must be maintained, correct? Don't you increase distance if you turn? What are you trying to do with the turn?
Playing tomorrow...

Peter

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350414551' post='5802673']
dropping the left side while raising the left heel feels good...but the same distance from the eyes to the ball must be maintained, correct? Don't you increase distance if you turn? What are you trying to do with the turn?
Playing tomorrow...

Peter
[/quote]

People said for instruction, look at the ball.
What they should say is, maintain distance due to keeping position for C7 vertebra is easy to loose.
What you do in the backswing either moving away dont matter much as what this does is to make sure the shoulders dont turn to much in the downswing and that the lower body with pelvis can compress the ql down and out.

[b]Your overthinking this.[/b]
Backswing dont matter as long your not able to make proper impact.
Once your able to release fully the backswing and set up will be adjusted as long one dont get in onces own way.
A full release is one of the main criteria of this type of swing so creating the angle in the downswing with ql compress allows a onplane swing and a clothline release.

[i][b]swing to target.[/b][/i]
[i][b]trust ability play golf.[/b][/i]

Golf God

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350427709' post='5803653']
Thanks.....you are correct with my over thinking....part of that however is just a curiosity and a desire to really understand what I am doing or trying to do...

But tomorrow....I'm just playing golf :)
[/quote]

Understanding comes when your able to do.
The one people try to have before they do is pure delusion.
Its from the school education and learned behaviour and dont work for sports.

I can give a pretty detail explanation in how the pelvis moves, the muscles used and why a classic or a modern swing isnt as good due to increased timing and maintaince.
The body will move the same in this swing into the backswing top position as a classic swing, what happens next is however very different.
its not much that is different but it make a massive difference, your able to release fully which means you hit it 50yards longer than any other swing system and often more.
You think Bubba is long?
you think Luka Donald is accurate?

But to be able to do it the body moves in how its designed to move trough evolution.
not by this golf swing crack guru with their theory aka Haney, leadbetter, Ballard, Foley etc...

Learning the way the body moves is to re-educate yourself and that will take some time, and understanding comes with it.
I have distilled it down to 3 things as far. If those are done right in the downswing you hit it flush every time.

Go play golf ;)

Golf God

This is a great thread. It articulated more things that I "felt" intuitively. I really feel like this thread along with the Slicefixer and Stack and Tilt threads have brought me full circle this summer.

Without reading anything about the swing, I had a weight transfer from back to front and a more upright swing. I was hitting it fairly straight but short. Then I read about a flat plane and rotational swing, and I could no longer strike the ball with any consistency (fat, thin, etc). Throwing everything out the window, I just tried to hit the ball with low windup "like an athlete", and I felt myself pulling up and using my lats/side. I couldn't articulate what that feeling was, but it seems like I was using the QL to initiate a more vertical pivot (which we would need since the ball is on the ground).

I get the sense from those Mike Austin videos that he would not be happy about people spending hours upon hours micromanaging the swing in their mind and instead want people to just play golf, hit the ball, make some tweaks, and repeat.

Unfortunately in the midwest it is cold and rainy, so I can't practice. But I have this visualization and feeling of the QL squish with a hip and shoulder turn that feels very natural. I have been practicing that movement of the stable C7, squish the QL with a slight hip turn, and add in the shoulder turn. Really looking forward to trying it out...

Also, thanks to Flopper for those videos and explanations. Really clears things up. I couldn't get the thread at first, then read what you said, then went back and these words made sense:

[quote]One must visualize the spine as a [u]pendulum[/u], with the [u]fixed point in space being 7C[/u]. The sacrum or tailbone swings only a distance of 12 inches from the top of the swing, within the boundaries of the knees.[/quote]

Is Squish still around?

TaylorMade R580 10.5* & 15*
Cobra Amp Cell 3-4H
Cobra Amp Cell 4-GW
TaylorMade ATV 54* & 58*
TaylorMade Ghost Spider

Hey Flop
Played with a friend who ws telling me about a club just outside Stockholm whose staff leaves when the season ends and rents out a club in Sardonia....they are required, which they fulfill, to make sure 24 people come to the club every week....he, my friend did this a few times, quite nice. He did say however that when he went to the Stockholm golf club, when you meet a member , they say, hello, what's your handicap.

Played today , not bad, 78, given I had three doubles....worked on raising left heel and lowering left shoulder which helped keep my C7 stable. I was most impressed with my long clubs....just' made very solid contact....surprisingly had trouble with my short irons...hitting fat...I think it may have been due to deceleration...just guessing...but I did it a few times, which I never do. To correct I straightened my left leg going down rather than squishing my right QL.

What are your three keys....

Peter

[quote name='Jarick' timestamp='1350495826' post='5807207']

I get the sense from those Mike Austin videos that he would not be happy about people spending hours upon hours micromanaging the swing in their mind and instead want people to just play golf, hit the ball, make some tweaks, and repeat.

Also, thanks to Flopper for those videos and explanations. Really clears things up. I couldn't get the thread at first, then read what you said, then went back and these words made sense:

Is Squish still around?
[/quote]

I assume so.
and thx.

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350502604' post='5807865']
Hey Flop
Played with a friend who ws telling me about a club just outside Stockholm whose staff leaves when the season ends and rents out a club in Sardonia....they are required, which they fulfill, to make sure 24 people come to the club every week....he, my friend did this a few times, quite nice. He did say however that when he went to the Stockholm golf club, when you meet a member , they say, hello, what's your handicap.

Played today , not bad, 78, given I had three doubles....worked on raising left heel and lowering left shoulder which helped keep my C7 stable. I was most impressed with my long clubs....just' made very solid contact....surprisingly had trouble with my short irons...hitting fat...I think it may have been due to deceleration...just guessing...but I did it a few times, which I never do. To correct I straightened my left leg going down rather than squishing my right QL.

What are your three keys....

Peter
[/quote]

1. eyes distance to ball.
2. pelvis drop for leverage and create plane.
3. arms swing on plane full clothline release.

yea, here we ask 4 handicap, its just culture.

Normally you never need to raise left side, it happens as a response to getting on plane and release.
I see a few Pro´s on the PGA tour who needs to do it to timing thier release.
If you move laterally and stay back it will happen as you pound the ball.
if one is a bit stiff in the fronthip muscles one might need to use a drop with knee and legs to compensate or soften them up.

Golf God

Hi Flop
Ok....not sure about dropping the pelvis....is that on the DS....could you explain that....and then it is just a slinging of the arms on plane?
I agree about not raising the left side...I was dropping the left shoulder while lifting the left heel...am I correct about that....my front hip is fine/ not stiff.....

What about swinging the pelvis back 6" and forward 12" generated by the right QL.? By maintaining the eye-ball distance , which I found clearly critical to my swing today, the swing is a lot easier.....it still seems like more distance is achieved if I also turn on my BS....

Most confused about the pelvis drop....

Thanks

Peter

Hi Flop

Ok....not sure about dropping the pelvis....is that on the DS....could you explain that....and then it is just a slinging of the arms on plane?

I agree about not raising the left side...I was dropping the left shoulder while lifting the left heel...am I correct about that....my front hip is fine/ not stiff.....

What about swinging the pelvis back 6" and forward 12" generated by the right QL.? By maintaining the eye-ball distance , which I found clearly critical to my swing today, the swing is a lot easier.....it still seems like more distance is achieved if I also turn on my BS....

Most confused about the pelvis drop....

Thanks

Peter

Pelvis move half turn, right side ql compress =pelvis drop.

Just using terms I find more useful.

Once the right side pelvis moves down and out, "halfturn", the right side swings as a bell lowering the gravity and that creates the on plane since the arms now have room and are on plane. I dont talk hips, its not correct as a term.

Pelvis moves properly so the hips can find the sitdown position.

Happens in all good golf swings.

The pelvis goes down and out.

Right side goes down and out.

There are two versions if the hip is stiff you end with a mike dunnaways turn, if long and soft a Mike austin one.

Reason is dunnaway will turn the knee and drop left side a little more to make the move.

MA here with a right side compress, pelvis turned down, right knee lower than left, going under into a braced left side staying back letting arms and hands release from the top.

2qbyy4j.jpg

Basically you make a flush contact and all the above just happens.

The above can only be felt not thinking about.

I personally just take note where my body needs to be (c7) for my arms to get where they suppose to be (pelvis drop) and release from there. (Inside out.)

1. eyes distance to ball.

2. pelvis drop for leverage and create plane.

3. arms swing on plane full clothline release.

Doing it right creates a sensation where the release is so powerful and the left arm feels like it going out of its socket.

Golf God

[quote name='vision541' timestamp='1350673049' post='5817831']
Hey Flop...so when I QL the right side, I am really making a straight line with the pelvis to 1:00....12:00 being the target....and my arms will follow that plane...if yes I will make a vid tomorrow for you to look at

Thanks
Peter
[/quote]

its all about being on plane.
video is always a good idea to check from time to time.

Golf God