2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rotator cuff surgery

Golfchicago

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the pics from my brother surgery this past March. The surgery took about 45-minutes and left only two small eraser sized scars.

His recovery seemed pretty quick, at least to me. I wonder if he didn't push it though. I think he was wakeboarding after about 4 to 4.5 months of downtime. He played in a golf tourney about 6 weeks ago and didn't have any problems. Take care.

I hope surgery goes well and the recovery time flies by for you.

I haven't had rotator cuff surgery yet, but I have to do shoulder strengthening exersices to keep my shoulder from killing me when I throw anything. Just be sure that you follow your rehab correctly and when you have healed make sure you keep the muscles around your shoulder strong to help keep the rotator cuff healthy.

Make sure you do all the rehab exercises. make sure you don't over exercise the right and forget the left side. Keep them in balance. Good time of year to have it done. Golf is almost done here in Chicago. tho I've saved a few vacation days in case we get a nice day. :drinks: Come back strong in the spring and tear it up.

I have 2 clients who I have trained after rotator cuff surgery. Both are doing great and have become stronger than they were due to the fact they were compensating for so long.

JoeF is right, Make sure you follow through with the physical therapy on your own time, do the "homework" they give you.

With one of my clients, in the very beginning before she could even do upper body work with me, we worked on lower body exercises (bodyweight squats and lunges, etc.) and treadmill.

Once she was cleared to do limited range of motion exercises, we started using the Bodyblade. The Bodyblade is basically vibration traing that helps with someone in your situation because you use limited Range of motion. You can see what it looks like on my site and there are a couple of articles about it as well.

To see the Bodyblade, go to

http://www.golffitnessproducts.net/golf-fi...tml#bodybladeeq

One of the articles is at

http://www.golffitnessproducts.net/why-bodyblade.html

Believe it or not, the shoulder she had surgery on ended up being stronger than the other one because she was really compliant with her physical therapy exercises. So much so that she started neglecting the other side!

If you want some more info, check out Brian Schiff's article, "A Pain in the Cuff". You should try to contact him as well because he is a PT who has worked with a lot of golfers.

Good luck with the surgery.

Anthony

I've had both shoulders put back together thru 5 surgeries and just this year tore my left rotator (I am LH)

I will reiterate what others have said because it is so important, don't rush back no matter how good you feel. Of all the joints, the shoulder has the greatest range of motion. So even when if feels good when your hand is near your body, it may not be ready to be stressed when the hand is extended.

My recovery from this years tear helped my game a lot because I spent a lot of time chipping and putting like your supposed to. Be patient and you'll be fine before you know it.

good luck

Tore the rotator and broke the shoulder at the same time. Had to wait until the ball of the shoulder bone healed and then had the rotator fixed. Make sure you do the rehab as mentioned. This was two years ago and it's treating me very well at this point. Rehab was a nightmare.

PXG Gen5 7.5* Ventus Velocore TR Blue 6S

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3/5 Project X Blue RDX 6.0

Titleist U505 2 Iron GD Tour AD DI85 S

Srixon ZX 4 Iron Ventus Velocore blue 8S

PXG 0311T Gen5 S 4/5-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/54/58

PXG Battle Ready Black Jack  

Well it is official. I go under the scope next Thursday for the tear in my right shoulder. Anybody have the operation and live to tell about it?

Make sure you do all the rehab exercises. make sure you don't over exercise the right and forget the left side. Keep them in balance. Good time of year to have it done. Golf is almost done here in Chicago. tho I've saved a few vacation days in case we get a nice day. :) Come back strong in the spring and tear it up.

I wish you the best of luck with the surgery and I hope the recovery time is very short and painless :pimp:

and as JoeF has said, if you HAD to have the injury it couldn't have come at a better time.

Rich

I've had both shoulders put back together thru 5 surgeries and just this year tore my left rotator (I am LH)

I will reiterate what others have said because it is so important, don't rush back no matter how good you feel. Of all the joints, the shoulder has the greatest range of motion. So even when if feels good when your hand is near your body, it may not be ready to be stressed when the hand is extended.

My recovery from this years tear helped my game a lot because I spent a lot of time chipping and putting like your supposed to. Be patient and you'll be fine before you know it.

good luck

Poboy,

How long did it take you to recover? I've heard stories from mostly around 6 months to one case who waited for a year.

Well it is official. I go under the scope next Thursday for the tear in my right shoulder. Anybody have the operation and live to tell about it?

Make sure you do all the rehab exercises. make sure you don't over exercise the right and forget the left side. Keep them in balance. Good time of year to have it done. Golf is almost done here in Chicago. tho I've saved a few vacation days in case we get a nice day. :) Come back strong in the spring and tear it up.

I wish you the best of luck with the surgery and I hope the recovery time is very short and painless :pimp:

and as JoeF has said, if you HAD to have the injury it couldn't have come at a better time.

Rich

Rich, truer words couldn't have been spoken! I want to knock this out as soon as possible. I am prepared to take the entire year off if necessary.

Tore the rotator and broke the shoulder at the same time. Had to wait until the ball of the shoulder bone healed and then had the rotator fixed. Make sure you do the rehab as mentioned. This was two years ago and it's treating me very well at this point. Rehab was a nightmare.

So I've heard the rehab is the worst. I've ruptured my petellar tendon. That was a b**** to rehab, but somehow I get up for this kind of stuff.

My dad had it done, and it no longer bothers him. I think he plays better too lol.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

My dad had it done, and it no longer bothers him. I think he plays better too lol.

This is the type of comments that help me as well. I really appreciate every post. Believe me i read and reread them a lot and will reread them. Repitition aids learning. I know there are no second chances here if i don't do this right. It is also great to hear success stories. It is human nature to think the worst and I am a very positive guy, but I still struggle when i get out of the present and think..what if.. These success stories remind me to stay in the present and take care of myself today. Thank you so much, everyone.

I had a pretty good tear, not from swinging a golf club but from getting run into the boards buy a 6'5" 255lb caveman during my hockey career. Although if you are going soon for surgery you are already past this point but say NO.. with a capital N to Cortosone shots... in an effort to play again asap I was given 2 of these things over a 12 week period and while they make it feel great they have the potential to do more damage to your shoulder joint... the stuff is no good plain and simple, I dont know why they give it to people. The other thing to talk to your doctor is about scarring... in my case the scar tissue that formed afterwards caused almost as much pain as the tear itself... it still hurt for almost a year after the surgery untill they went in and removed much of the scar tissue. Also like the other guys said do your rehab exersises religiously, it makes all the differance in how fast you will be back swining the clubs. As long as your doc keeps the scarring down and you perform all of your rehab excercises you shoud be ok before too long. Good luck!!! hopefully its not on your drinking hand side cause that would reallllly suck..lol :)

For those who have been through this....

I've had a left shoulder problem for about a year, now. I get pain from sleeping on my left side with my weight on the shoulder. I have pain when I try to do wide grip pull ups, but narrow grip is okay. I have pain when I try to reach up and behind my head but not when I reach down around my back to touch my belt line. And, I have pain when I play golf. I cannot do a full bent arms up and back and around finish because of pain/weakness.

The pain runs from the top of my shoulder down toward the elbow but behind a line from the shoulder to elbow and just in front of triceps.

My questions:

Where was your pain and was it immediate or gradual onset?

What arm motions are restricted because of rotator injury?

If this can be a gradual onset, progressively worsening injury, is it better to do surgery early or do you have to wait for significant pain/weakness for proper diagnosis/treatment?

What is the best method for diagnosis? I've heard of people enduring multiple scans, injections, CT, etc. before a diagnosis is made.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

This is the type of comments that help me as well. I really appreciate every post. Believe me i read and reread them a lot and will reread them. Repitition aids learning. I know there are no second chances here if i don't do this right. It is also great to hear success stories. It is human nature to think the worst and I am a very positive guy, but I still struggle when i get out of the present and think..what if.. These success stories remind me to stay in the present and take care of myself today. Thank you so much, everyone.

Rotator cuffs heal very slowly after surgery, so take it easy. No points for being aggressive. Best of luck. All of the above advice is great. Your shoulder won't be perfect, but it will be much better!

Where was your pain and was it immediate or gradual onset?

What arm motions are restricted because of rotator injury?

If this can be a gradual onset, progressively worsening injury, is it better to do surgery early or do you have to wait for significant pain/weakness for proper diagnosis/treatment?

What is the best method for diagnosis? I've heard of people enduring multiple scans, injections, CT, etc. before a diagnosis is made.

1. Typically immediate onset, unless you are older than 55 and have degenerative tears.

2. There are 4 rotator cuff muscles, each with different functions, but typically reaching overhead and external rotation are the most painful with cuff injury (reaching out to the side with the elbow held in against your waist).

3. True rotator cuff tears do not heal on their own and get worse with time. The best results are if surgery is done within 6 months. The less your disability, the better your recovery.

4. The best diagnostic tools are: 1. Physical Exam from a good orthopod 2. MRI of the shoulder.

• 4 weeks later...

Frank...we need an update. How you doing buddy?? ;)

Reid, Unfortunately, I have been rescheduled to December 27th. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again? I was wondering how you were posting so much with one hand! :stop: Good luck with it! :stop:

Reid, Unfortunately, I have been rescheduled to December 27th. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again? I was wondering how you were posting so much with one hand! :stop: Good luck with it! :stop:

LOL good one Reid! Yeah Ill be down for the count after the operation for a while. I can't wait to get it over with and get it behind me.

LOL good one Reid! Yeah Ill be down for the count after the operation for a while. I can't wait to get it over with and get it behind me.

We'll all be hoping for the best Frank. Think of it this way....after your extended break, you'll forget all those bad swing habits! You can spend hours just watching the golf channel and golf in general subliminally picking up the good stuff! :)

We'll all be hoping for the best Frank. Think of it this way....after your extended break, you'll forget all those bad swing habits! You can spend hours just watching the golf channel and golf in general subliminally picking up the good stuff! :)

Reid, it is funny that you say that because now that I can't play, I am reading and watching more golf. Feed the addiction!!!!!!

Awww Frank You had to miss the bonus weather we just had here in Chicago. .. That sucks.

OK because you can't golf I'm turning the thermostat down. No more nice weather. We'll suffer with ya.

What a guy!!!!!!! Yeah the weather is Spring like. it is tough not to want to play. I just can't afford any more injury before the operation.