2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rangefinder buying decision

Hi guys

Have thought a bit about my game, and have decided that adding a laser rangefinder to my armory should be worth it in the long run. The question is what one lol probably been asked thousands of times before, however it is between 3 really.

Bushnell Medalist

Bushnell V2

and Snooper S400

Leaning towards the V2 but checked to see if there was any on the Snooper but no reviews at all :( Guessing that they are only available in EU.

http://shop.snooperd...uct1670186.html

Above is the link to the Snooper. Seems much the same as the V2 and medalist with the 'Pole Position' technology. cant seem to find any reviews at all on it which is sadening lol. Only found one and it was pretty vauge.

Any ideas guys?

Would like to hear your praises/hates on each of these to help me decide :)

Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a V2 and love it.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

I now have a Leupold GX-3i but you can't go wrong with the V2. I had the Bushnell V2 and the pinseeker mode is great.. That's the only thing that I wish my GX-3i had TBH.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1329875026' post='4346127']
I now have a Leupold GX-3i but you can't go wrong with the V2. I had the Bushnell V2 and the pinseeker mode is great.. That's the only thing that I wish my GX-3i had TBH.
[/quote]

How do you mean? All the Leupold GX models have the "pin seeker mode" as default and they call it "Pinhunter". No matter what each company calls their technology, they all do the same thing...concentrate on the nearest object and avoid the background (trees or other objects).

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1329888853' post='4348003']
[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1329875026' post='4346127']
[/quote]

How do you mean? All the Leupold GX models have the "pin seeker mode" as default and they call it "Pinhunter". No matter what each company calls their technology, they all do the same thing...concentrate on the nearest object and avoid the background (trees or other objects).
[/quote]

I'm not sure it's the same? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

On the V2, when you put it in Pinseeker mode it would essentially "lock on" to the nearest object, usually the flag, and leave that yardage up. On my GX-3i it seems like it only has a scan mode which means the yardage is constantly changing (picking up background objects) unless I'm aimed dead on the flag and not shaking/moving at all.

Am I missing something? If I am then I'd love to know it because it's a bit annoying when I see 365.4, 168.3, 365.7, 168.6 all in a matter of seconds. I can get the correct yardage, obviously, but it was nice on my V2 when it left the correct yardage up on the screen.

Maybe you can help me here, or maybe it just doesn't do that. I'm not positive.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='Peter K.' timestamp='1329892454' post='4348231']
The Leupold will only "lock on" to the prisms (reflectors) found integrated into many flagsticks. When it finds one of those - or a license plate, btw - while in scan mode, it will beep and freeze that number on the display.
[/quote]

not true. you're referring to the prism lock. leupold has pinhunter technology that is the same as pinseeker. the difference is you need to push and release w/ a leupold, compared to push and hold for bushnell. push-hold w/ leupold is scan mode

[url="http://golf.leupold.com/nonflash/index.html"]http://golf.leupold....lash/index.html[/url]

[b]PINHUNTER™ TECHNOLOGY[/b]
Leupold's® exclusive PinHunter™ Laser Technology utilizes a combination of cutting edge microprocessing circuitry and an advanced infrared laser to accurately and consistently hunt down the pin against any background.

[b]SCAN MODE[/b]
When you want multiple readings in one quick sweep, just hold down the Power button and the display will continuously update with accurate line-of-sight measurements. As an extra benefit, on courses utilizing prism technology, your GX will beep and the display will freeze the moment you can past a prism-topped flag stick, assuring you of an accurate reading.

[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1329924013' post='4349615']
[quote name='Peter K.' timestamp='1329892454' post='4348231']
The Leupold will only "lock on" to the prisms (reflectors) found integrated into many flagsticks. When it finds one of those - or a license plate, btw - while in scan mode, it will beep and freeze that number on the display.
[/quote]

not true. you're referring to the prism lock. leupold has pinhunter technology that is the same as pinseeker. the difference is you need to push and release w/ a leupold, compared to push and hold for bushnell. push-hold w/ leupold is scan mode

[url="http://golf.leupold.com/nonflash/index.html"]http://golf.leupold....lash/index.html[/url]

[b]PINHUNTER™ TECHNOLOGY[/b]
Leupold's® exclusive PinHunter™ Laser Technology utilizes a combination of cutting edge microprocessing circuitry and an advanced infrared laser to accurately and consistently hunt down the pin against any background.

[b]SCAN MODE[/b]
When you want multiple readings in one quick sweep, just hold down the Power button and the display will continuously update with accurate line-of-sight measurements. As an extra benefit, on courses utilizing prism technology, your GX will beep and the display will freeze the moment you can past a prism-topped flag stick, assuring you of an accurate reading.
[/quote]

I stand corrected; thanks for the info. I've only ever used mine on courses with prisms in the flagsticks. Now I know how to use it when I play somewhere that doesn't have them.

All the pinhunter really involves is a first target priority mode, ie it chooses the closer of two targets when scanning.

As for the model to buy, it really depends on the courses you play. If they have prisms, the medalist will due just fine. It's cheap, well built, binocular style, but only 4x mag. The V2 gets you into the single hand, smaller unit, offers a bit more magnification, and is quite popular. At $245 on amazon, it's about $40 more than the medalist. Given that the price for the leupold gx-1 is the same, I'd lean towards the leupold. It's nice.

I'm really a fan of binocular style though. Easier for me and my shaky hands to hold steady. Since I push a cart, the size is not an issue, but they're not huge, just not pocket size. If you can squeeze out another $50 or so, move into the bushnell 1600. It's got 7x mag, full waterproof rating (most of the others are only resistant), it uses 9 volt batteries, and it's just fantastic. I have a 1500 myself, and my course has prisms. It takes my longer to pull it out and put it back than it does to get a distance. It's probably been the most beneficial piece of equipment for lowering my score that I've ever purchased.

Do you really want to drop $350+ on something when you can get something that does the same thing for around $220? Pick up the Callaway LR550. It has the 6x zoom, first target priority, scan mode, and is water proof with rubber o-rings. I have used mine for 2 rounds now and absolutely love it. It picks up pins fast as all hell, love the scan mode as I can shoot the front of greens easily. Fits in my hand perfectly and I wear mens XL gloves. Has a neoprene cover on mine (red and black diablo version) and a caribeaner attached. Got it for $202 shipped brand new in the shrink wrap from eBay. I really can't say enough about it. Perfect unit as far as I'm concerned. I tested it from the same distance 2 days in a row and it was hitting the same exact numbers both days (same tee's same flag position). Highly highly recommend! Can't beat that price for a unit, especially with a Nikon lense!

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

[quote name='fochs13' timestamp='1329971141' post='4355927']
If you are considering the v2 then you should also consider the bushnell scout. It is identical to the v2 and about $50 less.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, not true. Pretty close but not identical. It's been discussed ad nauseam here but the Scout (and other hunting models) will pick up objects in the background and not have the first target priority mode, making it much more difficult to pick up the pin, especially if it's front of trees or other objects. Certain hunting range finders do have a user selectable option between first target or rear target but the Scout is not one of them.

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1329972655' post='4356113']
Do you really want to drop $350+ on something when you can get something that does the same thing for around $220? Pick up the Callaway LR550. It has the 6x zoom, first target priority, scan mode, and is water proof with rubber o-rings. I have used mine for 2 rounds now and absolutely love it. It picks up pins fast as all hell, love the scan mode as I can shoot the front of greens easily. Fits in my hand perfectly and I wear mens XL gloves. Has a neoprene cover on mine (red and black diablo version) and a caribeaner attached. Got it for $202 shipped brand new in the shrink wrap from eBay. I really can't say enough about it. Perfect unit as far as I'm concerned. I tested it from the same distance 2 days in a row and it was hitting the same exact numbers both days (same tee's same flag position). Highly highly recommend! Can't beat that price for a unit, especially with a Nikon lense!
[/quote]

I can totally vouch for Callaway range finders, as I had an LR800 prior to the current GX-3. While I love my GX-3, the Callaways pick up objects nearly instantaneously and is definitely faster than the Leupolds. And I like their case design better too. If money is a concern, I would totally go for the Callaway, especially if you're considering the GX-1 or GX-2, given that those two Leupolds don't have the red OLED like the GX-3 and GX-4 (which is the main advantage).

Is the red OLED worth an extra 100 bucks? That sort of depends, but it's certainly pretty cool...it's very vivid and you will never have to squint to get a readout, even in direct sunlight. You also get a lot of ooohs and ahhhs from people who try it for the first time.

By the way, you can't fairly ask if someone wants to drop $350+ when you can get the same thing for $220...that applies to virtually everything...if that's your reasoning, then everyone should buy only Toyota Camrys or whatever else model, since they all get you from point A to point B. And besides, some people just have access to more disposable income to buy gear and toys, so who cares what others do with their money?

In terms of accuracy, they are all the same. What it ultimately comes down to is ergonomics/how they fit into your hand, and customer service/warranty, which Leupold and Callaway are far superior than Bushnell.

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1329975472' post='4356395']
[/quote]

I can totally vouch for Callaway range finders, as I had an LR800 prior to the current GX-3. While I love my GX-3, the Callaways pick up objects nearly instantaneously and is definitely faster than the Leupolds. And I like their case design better too. If money is a concern, I would totally go for the Callaway, especially if you're considering the GX-1 or GX-2, given that those two Leupolds don't have the red OLED like the GX-3 and GX-4 (which is the main advantage).

Is the red OLED worth an extra 100 bucks? That sort of depends, but it's certainly pretty cool...it's very vivid and you will never have to squint to get a readout, even in direct sunlight. You also get a lot of ooohs and ahhhs from people who try it for the first time.

By the way, you can't fairly ask if someone wants to drop $350+ when you can get the same thing for $220...that applies to virtually everything...if that's your reasoning, then everyone should buy only Toyota Camrys or whatever else model, since they all get you from point A to point B. And besides, some people just have access to more disposable income to buy gear and toys, so who cares what others do with their money?

In terms of accuracy, they are all the same. What it ultimately comes down to is ergonomics/how they fit into your hand, and customer service/warranty, which Leupold and Callaway are far superior than Bushnell.
[/quote]

I was simply stating that he can get a laser with similar if not the same features for less money. If he wants to spend more, all the power to him, I was just staking my opinion, wich is what forums are, opinions. I have no problem reading the yardages, but have never used one with the o-led or whatever it's called. I don't drive a Camry either.. Lol

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

[quote name='cmrl1986' timestamp='1329975779' post='4356415']
[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1329975472' post='4356395']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I was simply stating that he can get a laser with similar if not the same features for less money. If he wants to spend more, all the power to him, I was just staking my opinion, wich is what forums are, opinions. I have no problem reading the yardages, but have never used one with the o-led or whatever it's called. I don't drive a Camry either.. Lol
[/quote]

I hear you...I completely agree with the Callaway recommendation. The red OLED is really neat though...next time you're in a golf store, check it out. You just might end up getting a Leupold because of it, haha.