2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TPC Scottsdale

ZimBag

my experience at TPC Scottsdale
I just got back from Arizona getting ready for the high school golf season me and my dad played the boulders, desert mountain, and tpc scottsdale. I must say tpc scottsdale is amazing. 15,16,17,18 are some of the funnest holes in golf. the caddy that we had was an awesome kid trying to make it on the Nationwide. it was awesome seeing all the pros lockers. i personally played like crap and my dad good for him had 79 the best ive seen him play in a while. tpc scottsdale is a special place and would highly recommend it to any one in the area. defiantly worth the money in the end. we played 16 with almost all the seating still up. i drove 17. again its a very special place and is a must play for any one in the area.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years ago we took a golf trip and played that Stadium & Champions course at the TPC.... we too had a great time & thought the caddy, course and all else could not have been better. Will most likely head back that way this December for another round. I, like your dad had a 79 from the next to back Tee's... for me, that is good on a course like that...did better on the champions course. I have had some great golf trips....English Turn in New Orleans, Cog Hill in LaMont, Tucson National, etc. They were all great but the #1 over all experience was TPC Scottsdale.

Interesting, I think most of the locals will completely disagree with your thoughts of tpc but it's cool that you enjoyed it!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Ive played it once as a gift and found it incredibly underwhelming, none of the magic that you speak of. Maybe it's different coming from out of town, but I think I speak for a lot of us here when I say it's waaaaaaaaay overpriced for what it is. Those last 3 holes are really the only memorable holes, and nothing stands out condition or playing wise. I'd rather play champions across the street, especially since its only 50 to walk.

I just feel that the phx/Scottsdale area offer much better options.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I also remember really liking TPC. I remember thinking that it was really tough though, and that I was surprised that it appears to be literally one of the easiest courses played on tour. 15-18 is a really memorable stretch, especially when you get to watch it on TV every year. I have played 3 "TV" courses - Pebble, TPC, and Harbor Town, and it's always a really good time to watch them on TV afterword. I've also been to Augusta, and that sentiment certainly applies there as well...probably more than any of the others.

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1330099594' post='4366531']
Ive played it once as a gift and found it incredibly underwhelming, none of the magic that you speak of. Maybe it's different coming from out of town, but I think I speak for a lot of us here when I say it's waaaaaaaaay overpriced for what it is. Those last 3 holes are really the only memorable holes, and nothing stands out condition or playing wise. I'd rather play champions across the street, especially since its only 50 to walk.

[/quote]

+1 There are far better courses IMO that I would rather play then TPC. As a local, I would take my money and go play We-Ko-Pa, Gold Canyon or Troon North.. Maybe even some others multiple times being the price of TPC... Just my opinion though..

Tough croud, the kid enjoyed a trip with his Pop and played golf at a wonderful place. My Dad passed a number of years ago and my fondiest memories are playing golf ANYWHERE with him, glad you enjoyed yourself. On a course note, I too enjoyed my stay and play at the Scottsdale Princess, top notch...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1330056997' post='4364395']
Interesting, I think most of the locals will completely disagree with your thoughts of tpc but it's cool that you enjoyed it!
[/quote]

i was putting together a scottsdale trip last year and was warned away from TPC by almost everyone on here with knowledge of the area. not that anyone said it was a terrible course, just that it paled in comparison to many others in the region. seems the only real draw is the Tour event factor.

[quote name='XFelon' timestamp='1330114251' post='4368579']

[/quote]

+1 There are far better courses IMO that I would rather play then TPC. As a local, I would take my money and go play We-Ko-Pa, Gold Canyon or Troon North.. Maybe even some others multiple times being the price of TPC... Just my opinion though..
[/quote]

Interesting. I hated Troon North as compared to TPC. I really didn't like the aspect of Troon North that if you miss the fairway, your ball is basically lost. Maybe that's just because I missed a crap-ton of fairways that day! But seriously, I feel like you should be able to at least some of the time go into the desert and play your ball, but that was just not the case at Troon. 8 feet off the fairway = ball gone.

[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1330120534' post='4369345']
[quote name='XFelon' timestamp='1330114251' post='4368579']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting. I hated Troon North as compared to TPC. I really didn't like the aspect of Troon North that if you miss the fairway, your ball is basically lost. Maybe that's just because I missed a crap-ton of fairways that day! But seriously, I feel like you should be able to at least some of the time go into the desert and play your ball, but that was just not the case at Troon. 8 feet off the fairway = ball gone.
[/quote]

I agree I played Troon 3 years ago. I just remember me having a really good front 9 then was a little off with my driver and I was taking a drop. In all honesty though its hard to find a bad course in Scottsdale IMO.

Just got back from a Phoenix trip where we played both TPC courses in the same day. I thought the Stadium course was a blast even though I didn't play my best. Our caddie was outstanding and the course was in very good condition. We did have some nasty pin placements, like the back left on 17 but had a really good time. For $300 I can see why the locals think it's over priced and I wouldn't play there every time I went to Phoenix but every couple years I'll definitely go back. Our caddie came over to the Champions course with us and that was a lot of fun. For those who say they prefer the Champions to the Stadium, I don't really understand how you can - other than from a price standpoint. The greens and the entire course for that matter, were not in nearly the condition as the Stadium. We also played the Prospector course at Superstition Mountain and the Saguaro course at WeKoPa. Everything about Superstition was great and we'll definitely go back there and play again. I'd like to play the Lost Gold course. The course was in great condition at WeKoPa but we had a marshall that was an a** so it took away some of that experience. I probably won't go back because of it. Also played Dobson Ranch with our wives. For $42.50 per person it wasn't a bad course. You don't get the amenities of the higher end courses but for straight golf it was pretty good.

Was in Scottsdale this past summer for a trip with my dad, of the 5 courses we played I thought TPC would be my 5th option in terms of the actual course, but I think as someone from outside the AZ area as I am here in Jersey, the experience of playing a TPC course you see played every year on tour is a great experience in and of itself. Grayhawk, Superstition, Troon North, Boulders and TPC were all unbelieveable. That trip comes in at a close second behind Sawgrass. Maybe Pebble this summer (fingers crossed)

Hey Fellas:

I am heading out to Scottsdale from 3/31-4/5. I am going to play 3 rounds. Staying at Sanctuary at Camelback and I believe We Ko Pa is nearby which I haven't played. Of the two courses there, which is the best one? Besides one course there, what other courses should I play? Last time I was there in 2007 I played Sunridge Canyon and loved it as well as Grayhawk. How is Eagle Mountain? Is Gold Canyon a long drive from Sanctuary in Fountain Hills? Would love to hear your suggestions and where to get the best prices. Any great suggestions for some nice dinner options for my wife and I would be great as well. Thx!

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Miura TC201 4-6 & MC502 7-PW with Steelfiber 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

[quote name='dhammer' timestamp='1330583727' post='4409101']
Was in Scottsdale this past summer for a trip with my dad, of the 5 courses we played I thought TPC would be my 5th option in terms of the actual course, but I think as someone from outside the AZ area as I am here in Jersey, the experience of playing a TPC course you see played every year on tour is a great experience in and of itself. Grayhawk, Superstition, Troon North, Boulders and TPC were all unbelieveable. That trip comes in at a close second behind Sawgrass. Maybe Pebble this summer (fingers crossed)
[/quote]

Im from Jersey to! I cant wait to leave here lol

HAHA I hear you, tough to play top notch courses here without being a member somewhere. I will just have to settle for my twice a year trips!

[quote name='ZimBag' timestamp='1330661874' post='4416665']
[quote name='dhammer' timestamp='1330583727' post='4409101']
[/quote]

Im from Jersey to! I cant wait to leave here lol
[/quote]

[quote name='pearls24' timestamp='1330655250' post='4415759']
Hey Fellas:

I am heading out to Scottsdale from 3/31-4/5. I am going to play 3 rounds. Staying at Sanctuary at Camelback and I believe We Ko Pa is nearby which I haven't played. Of the two courses there, which is the best one? Besides one course there, what other courses should I play? Last time I was there in 2007 I played Sunridge Canyon and loved it as well as Grayhawk. How is Eagle Mountain? Is Gold Canyon a long drive from Sanctuary in Fountain Hills? Would love to hear your suggestions and where to get the best prices. Any great suggestions for some nice dinner options for my wife and I would be great as well. Thx!
[/quote]

Eagle Mountain is a fun easy course, a lot of the fairways funnel to the center and some elevated tee boxes. Gold Canyon is a bit of a drive from Fountain Hills, probably about an hour, but worth it. (don't bother with the sidewinder course). As far as WeKoPa goes, the Cholla course is a little more tricked up and has some difficult holes, Seguaro is walkable and a better overall design, depends what you like. For dinner Mastros is great, Roy's in Scottsdale is also really good.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

Thanks Drake47! Appreciate the feedback.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Miura TC201 4-6 & MC502 7-PW with Steelfiber 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

[quote name='schwanman' timestamp='1330302437' post='4383083']
Just got back from a Phoenix trip where we played both TPC courses in the same day. I thought the Stadium course was a blast even though I didn't play my best. Our caddie was outstanding and the course was in very good condition. We did have some nasty pin placements, like the back left on 17 but had a really good time. For $300 I can see why the locals think it's over priced and I wouldn't play there every time I went to Phoenix but every couple years I'll definitely go back. Our caddie came over to the Champions course with us and that was a lot of fun. For those who say they prefer the Champions to the Stadium, I don't really understand how you can - other than from a price standpoint. The greens and the entire course for that matter, were not in nearly the condition as the Stadium. We also played the Prospector course at Superstition Mountain and the Saguaro course at WeKoPa. Everything about Superstition was great and we'll definitely go back there and play again. I'd like to play the Lost Gold course. The course was in great condition at WeKoPa but we had a marshall that was an a** so it took away some of that experience. I probably won't go back because of it. Also played Dobson Ranch with our wives. For $42.50 per person it wasn't a bad course. You don't get the amenities of the higher end courses but for straight golf it was pretty good.
[/quote]

You're right if memory serves me correctly when Mark, Medicaptan and I played, that pin was back left on 17....WICKED

i've been to phx/scottsdale several times. in fact i'm heading down march 7-11 and getting a little jacked about the trip!
i go down about 1 or 2 times a year to get away from the cooler northern climate. here are my two bits on some of the tracks mentioned above (from the tips on all reviews):

[b]tpc stadium:[/b] over-rated, not worth the money at $300. i played it once, i think some kind of deal at $150, and it was barely worth it even at 50% off. underwhelming. agreed the finish is fun, but nothing else. i won't be playing there again.

[b]tpc champions:[/b] never played it, but am booked next week. looking forward to it at $99.

[b]troon - pinnacle:[/b] great scenery, but that's about it for me. hated it from a playing perspective. every hole ended up looking the same after a while. not sure, maybe i wasn't in the right frame of mind, but didn't enjoy it other than the great conditions and the views. got tired (mentally not physically) of getting out of my cart, walking up several steps to the tips, trying to get a yardage and decipher what club to hit so i could carry a big rock outcropping, then back down to the cart, then pick a club, then back up the stairs. it was exhausting, and felt like this routine happened on all 18 holes. paid big bucks and had a ranger on my a** because we were slightly out of position. we were out because if you've never seen it, and are playing the tips, you have no idea what the hell to hit on every hole. won't play it again. found it a little hokey and tourist-y in the end. not really a "players" course.

[b]boulders:[/b] very expensive, but my favorite of the bunch mentioned. from a playing perspective it was well laid out, phenominal conditions, fast greens, good variety of holes (which is sometimes hard to find in the desert), challenging, scenic, good service.

cobra bio cell pro / diamana white 72x
nike covert 2.0 /15*/ grafalloy blue 75x
titleist 910h/18*/diamana 90x
wilson fg tour v2 / 3-pw / x100
ping hoofer / titleist prov1x
cameron studio stainless laguna 2.5

gotta get the stadium in some sort of package deal, it really isn't worth 300. Sawgrass on the other hand I thought was worth every penny of the 400+ lol...I agree with you on Boulders, I really enjoyed it when I was there in May. Even happened to get paired up with a member, so that was helpful with some insight.

Also played the other Troon course, the name is escaping me right now, but I didn't get that repetitive feel of holes there. Maybe it is just the pinnacle.

[quote name='tv23' timestamp='1330831520' post='4429865']
i've been to phx/scottsdale several times. in fact i'm heading down march 7-11 and getting a little jacked about the trip!
i go down about 1 or 2 times a year to get away from the cooler northern climate. here are my two bits on some of the tracks mentioned above (from the tips on all reviews):

[b]tpc stadium:[/b] over-rated, not worth the money at $300. i played it once, i think some kind of deal at $150, and it was barely worth it even at 50% off. underwhelming. agreed the finish is fun, but nothing else. i won't be playing there again.

[b]tpc champions:[/b] never played it, but am booked next week. looking forward to it at $99.

[b]troon - pinnacle:[/b] great scenery, but that's about it for me. hated it from a playing perspective. every hole ended up looking the same after a while. not sure, maybe i wasn't in the right frame of mind, but didn't enjoy it other than the great conditions and the views. got tired (mentally not physically) of getting out of my cart, walking up several steps to the tips, trying to get a yardage and decipher what club to hit so i could carry a big rock outcropping, then back down to the cart, then pick a club, then back up the stairs. it was exhausting, and felt like this routine happened on all 18 holes. paid big bucks and had a ranger on my a** because we were slightly out of position. we were out because if you've never seen it, and are playing the tips, you have no idea what the hell to hit on every hole. won't play it again. found it a little hokey and tourist-y in the end. not really a "players" course.

[b]boulders:[/b] very expensive, but my favorite of the bunch mentioned. from a playing perspective it was well laid out, phenominal conditions, fast greens, good variety of holes (which is sometimes hard to find in the desert), challenging, scenic, good service.
[/quote]

[quote name='dhammer' timestamp='1330835569' post='4430293']
gotta get the stadium in some sort of package deal, it really isn't worth 300. Sawgrass on the other hand I thought was worth every penny of the 400+ lol...I agree with you on Boulders, I really enjoyed it when I was there in May. Even happened to get paired up with a member, so that was helpful with some insight.

Also played the other Troon course, the name is escaping me right now, but I didn't get that repetitive feel of holes there. Maybe it is just the pinnacle.

[/quote]
[/quote]

it's called monument... and i though about trying it, but considering my last experience at pinnacle, i've never been back. it's too pricey anyway. there are great courses in the area for way less. but thanks for agreeing with me on pinnacle. some others think i'm crazy when i tell the story and how i didn't like it. they just love it, and i don't get it. at least now i know someone agrees with me and i'm not nuts!

cobra bio cell pro / diamana white 72x
nike covert 2.0 /15*/ grafalloy blue 75x
titleist 910h/18*/diamana 90x
wilson fg tour v2 / 3-pw / x100
ping hoofer / titleist prov1x
cameron studio stainless laguna 2.5

Never played pinnacle, I meant I did not feel Monument was repetitive lol...I thought it was a good course. It was my only trip to AZ and we only played 5 courses in the week, I do know we got a great deal through Senoran(sp.?) Suites.

[quote name='tv23' timestamp='1330837500' post='4430495']
[quote name='dhammer' timestamp='1330835569' post='4430293']

[/quote]
[/quote]

it's called monument... and i though about trying it, but considering my last experience at pinnacle, i've never been back. it's too pricey anyway. there are great courses in the area for way less. but thanks for agreeing with me on pinnacle. some others think i'm crazy when i tell the story and how i didn't like it. they just love it, and i don't get it. at least now i know someone agrees with me and i'm not nuts!
[/quote]