2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Gil Hanse selected to design 2016 Olympic Golf Course

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played Rustic Canyon dozens of times. I LOVE that course. It's fantastic that one of the underdogs got this job.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1331143265' post='4456055']
I've played Rustic Canyon dozens of times. I LOVE that course. It's fantastic that one of the underdogs got this job.
[/quote]

It looks like his Rio design has a couple of risk/reward short par 4s just like #3 and #12 at Rustic Canyon.

I love those two holes.

Makes me miss the days when I lived up there and played there 2x per week.

I think it's a shame they picked some random, no name designer for such a historic course. Too bad one of the real legends of the game won't get the addtional feather in the cap because it had to go to this hack.

If his courses were really great, we would have heard of him by now - and by we I mean the general golfing public, not the die hard golf nerds who spend all day thinking about this kind of stuff. Examples of real golf course legends include (but are not limited to) Pete Dye, Robert Trent Jones, the Golden Bear, the Shark, the King, Donald Ross, ect. These people will be known forever for their great golf courses which are really works of art, hopefully this guy isn't just a one hit wonder (see Hank Haney, Craig Perks, Michael Campbell, ect if you need an explanation) and actually designs a golf course besides this one that gets some real recognition.

[quote name='Password Is Taco' timestamp='1331146817' post='4456385']
I think it's a shame they picked some random, no name designer for such a historic course. Too bad one of the real legends of the game won't get the addtional feather in the cap because it had to go to this hack.

If his courses were really great, we would have heard of him by now - and by we I mean the general golfing public, not the die hard golf nerds who spend all day thinking about this kind of stuff. Examples of real golf course legends include (but are not limited to) Pete Dye, Robert Trent Jones, the Golden Bear, the Shark, the King, Donald Ross, ect. These people will be known forever for their great golf courses which are really works of art, hopefully this guy isn't just a one hit wonder (see Hank Haney, Craig Perks, Michael Campbell, ect if you need an explanation) and actually designs a golf course besides this one that gets some real recognition.
[/quote]

You understand that the people making the decision looked at design submissions and [b]THEN[/b] picked the one they liked best, right?

Did you want them to pick their 2nd or 3rd favorite design just because it was submitted by a "big name" course designer?

Both Hanse and the Olympic Selection Committee hung their balls out there. Hanse for making a submission along with the greats you mentioned and the committee for chosing a "hack" designer as you so eloquently put it.

And as Jesus of CopyMat said "That's how you become great, man. Hang your balls out there!"

[/quote]
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt".

I would have loved to see a Crenshaw/Coore design but think Hanse utilizes similar ideas. I like the selection and liked a lot of the things he had to say in his presser today. Sounds like a lot of "half par" holes for a lot of excitement.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' timestamp='1331148663' post='4456535']

[/quote]
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt".
[/quote]

Perfect.

I am impressed with the committee's decision. It's nice to see they selected the best design rather than name recognition. I understand most casual golf fans recognize Nicklaus, Palmer, Norman, Dye or Jones over Doak, Hanse or Coore but that does not make them necessarily better at golf course architecture. If the casual golf fan played any of Hanse's courses they would never question the decision to select his team for this project.

Mr. Hanse restored Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken SC when he was still working for Tom Doak before going out on his own. If you ever get an opportunity to play it, do yourself the favor, you wont regret it.

http://www.palmettogolfclub.net/

Edit to add link.

Gil Hanse is one of the best designers in the business but doesn't toot his own horn often and hence stays behind the curtain. He's, far better better then any "player" designer out there. Great choice by the committee

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='MIgolfpro' timestamp='1331146606' post='4456365']
i wish pete dye was 10-15 years younger but hanse is a good choice. i expected jack and annika to win based solely on name, so hanse was a nice surprise. hooray golf! bout time it was in the olympics
[/quote]

Dye's designs would have been completely contrary to the design goals set by the Olympic Committee. Not saying his courses are bad - he has a lot of good ones, although not my cup of tea.

Hanse is a great choice. Castle Stuart is an amazing course which led to Hanse's support by the R&A's Dawson. He has also renovated or restored many courses of the best architects of past generations (Tillinghast, Raynor, Macdonald). Great choice in my opinion. In 20-30 years I think Hanse will be viewed in the same light as a Dye, RTJ, etc.