Distance and handicaps for 14 year olds

I'm 14, 5'11, around 160 pounds and I hit my drives 250 carry and 275 total. I play to a 22 handicap. See? It's not the long bombs that get you in the 70's, it's your putting. Obviously you gotta get the ball to the green first, but if you have a low swing speed and low accuracy, your short game can save you.

I know a kid who just recently won our Junior Club Championship who is 11, and shot +2 from the white tees. I'm pretty sure he's a 2 index, so it's not that hard to believe that there's 12 year olds with a 4 handicap.

What I do find hard to believe, however, is that so many people care about what others shoot and if they're counting the scores right and whatnot. I mean, who gives a **** about the other people's scores? They're only hurting themselves by lying. Just wait until they enter a tournament that they aren't good enough for, then they'll really embarrass themselves and learn to play the game like its meant to be played.

Taylormade SLDR 9.5*
Taylormade SLDR 15*
Taylormade Tour Preferred MC/MB
Titleist SM5 52*/56*/60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Srixon Z-Star

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='big j' timestamp='1340924707' post='5186230']
well I'm 16
unofficial handicap of about 10 more or less
average drive is between 285-300+ consistently
by the way, I'm 6'4" 210 lbs so its a bit of an advantage

just my two cents, most kids in high school consistently drive it 260 or so. it isn't unbelievable like some think but actually quite average
[/quote]

Yeah no doubt. One of my high school teammates as a freshman drove it over 300 at least a couple times per round and he was a scrawny guy but just put everything into his swing. At one tournament a guy hit a 403 YARD DRIVE!!! His dad used a rangefinder and everything! Obviously it had about 60 yards of roll and was about 15 mph downwind. Not a steep downhill but he said it was the best struck shot of his life! Ended up taking 4 more shots to get it in the hole for a par... Some juniors really can bomb the ball but over 300 requires great timing and conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Dey' timestamp='1379941358' post='7896507']
Wow... reading these posts prove that you're never too young to start lying about your golf game. Kudos to the dads who have a lot to do with it.
[/quote]

I gotta like this post just because it comes from one of your 7 in the last 5 years.

Wow... reading these posts prove that you're never too young to start lying about your golf game. Kudos to the dads who have a lot to do with it.
[/quote]

And your basis for saying this is what exactly? I'm sure there are some who exagerate on here, it's the internet who knew, but I've spent many hours following Junior golfers round golf courses in tournaments and the variation in distance is huge. There are kids who consistently get it out to 300 yards or close to it nearly every drive and there are those who barely make 200 yards. In terms of scoring I recently went to an Under 14 tournament and playing off the same tees the best three scores were lower than those of the top amateurs who had played there in a similar tournament two months previously.

Im 15, 180 lbs and only hit it about 260-280, im averaging 40 this highschool season and am currently playing #1

Titleist TSI3 Tour AD MT 7S
Taylormade SIM 14* Tour AD IZ 7S
Mizuno Fli Hi 2 & 3 iron
Miura CB 1008 4-PW Nippon Super Peening Orange
NCW 52 - 57
Scotty Cameron Bullseye

• 4 weeks later...

![quote name='pkwilli1999' timestamp='1376433631' post='7670874']
I looked it up and Luke Donald's swing speed is 110.6 MPH and only averages 278.2 off the tee. So how do all these 13 year old's have 105 MPH swing speeds and hit it 300??? :dntknw:
[/quote]
Agree, i am 14 and i dont know any people under the age of 16 who can hit anywhere near 300

[quote name='justasgood' timestamp='1377869432' post='7770859']
Here is my 11 year old's swing. No lessons, playing just under 1 year. Best nine was a 54 playing from the forward tees at Montgomery Bell in TN.

Hits his driver about 160yrds. He's just under 5' and weighs around 65lbs.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpYaTzX4NNA[/media]
[/quote]

he has a very nice swing, only thing i see wrong is the driver looks like its swinging him. But it was even like that for me a few years back

Honolulu, Hi
WITB Link

[quote name='Ben Layton' timestamp='1382611900' post='8050155']
![quote name='pkwilli1999' timestamp='1376433631' post='7670874']
I looked it up and Luke Donald's swing speed is 110.6 MPH and only averages 278.2 off the tee. So how do all these 13 year old's have 105 MPH swing speeds and hit it 300??? :dntknw:
[/quote]
Agree, i am 14 and i dont know any people under the age of 16 who can hit anywhere near 300
[/quote]

At the junior masters they had a long drive tournament and the longest drive for 13-14 was 299.

Here's the link

http://www.futurechampionsgolf.com/sdjrmasters.html

Honolulu, Hi
WITB Link

• 5 months later...

[quote name='bl4ck' timestamp='1397689323' post='9107229']
man, so many lies

you can argue timing - look at Oosthuizen. but he still has a SS at like 114 or something.
there is no way those averaging 100 ss are hitting 290.
mine is 108 ish, average 270 in the summer.
[/quote]

Yes I'm sure there are exagerations but about a year ago I walked off my son's drive on a straight away par 5 and it was just over 330 yards, he was 13 at the time. I have no idea how many people post falsely on here but I assure you I have better things to do than come on an anonymous forum to boast about my son's prowess at driving a golf ball and simply lie about it. For what its worth he then hit an eight iron over the back and chipped and three putted.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the ball about 230-240 off the tee. I'm 5'3. I play to about a 7 handicap. I have been playing for 9 years.

Driver: (10.5) Taylormade SIM2 MAX Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel Grafalloy ProLite 35X

Hybrid: (18) Ping Rapture Aldlia VS By You 80X

Utility: (21) New Level NLU-01 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) New Level 902 PD True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

Lob: (58) Vokey Wedgeworks T Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Putter: Tad Moore Pro1 Long Neck

Ball: Snell MTB Black

[quote name='KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE' timestamp='1379982917' post='7900303']
[/quote]

I gotta like this post just because it comes from one of your 7 in the last 5 years.
[/quote]

amount of posts has nothing to do with it....I've been here longer than most and don't have a need to post every 10 seconds of the day.

I do enjoy reading about 300 yard driving 11 year olds though.....wake up boys, if you guys were doing that, you'd Easily be entering drive, chip, putt contests and winning...

Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki Tour 73g Stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
Callaway PM 54* & 58*
Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.

[quote name='W2_Golfer' timestamp='1333502861' post='4644089']
Im 14 years old and hae a 3.7 index, and I hit the ball about 250 yards with 235 carry.
Background info: been playing for 10 months I am 5'5 and 135 pounds. How far do y fellow juniors hit he ball, and c'mon be honest I an tell when you're lying.
[/quote]As has been said above me, for you to have been in the game for less than a year and have these numbers is amazing.

To have a carry of 235yds, and obviously, it's in a lot of fairways for ya to carry a 3.5 cap, and I would not focus on what others do or hit. You obviously are going to be playing in tourneys, iff you're not already, and you will see how your game stands up to tournament golf.

As an oft repeated statement, "There is golf and then there is tournament golf."

They are two very different games, though focus on you, your swing and your game, and rest assured, that if you were on a line with 12-15 other 14yo's, 235-250yds down the pipe is right there.

What someone says that they hit a ball in a forum, or what they hit a ball on a practice tee or playing with their Buds, is usually different from what and where they hit the ball with crystal, silver or dollars on the line. This has been my experience from 46 years.

And if you don't have one yet, find yourself a good teacher!

And remember, it's a game, no matter how high the stakes, you've got to believe in yourself and you've got to have fun. The rest, will fall into place.

Best wishes for continued success :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My daughter has played for 3 months during her senior year in high school. She is now going to a small college on a golf scholarship. When she talked to the coach on what to do during the summer, he said for her to practice from 100 yards in and putting. Don't even worry about her drives. That the shots near the green are the most important.

The only reason she got a scholarship was not her scores. She is a 4 sport letterman, only wanted to go to a small college, her potential to get better with more coaching, willingness to learn and being a girl. Her coach helped her realize that hitting the ball far isn't going to get her a great score if she can't do anything else. But golf is giving her an opportunity to get an education at a small private college, something she never thought would be possible.

[quote name='W2_Golfer' timestamp='1335961056' post='4830532']
[quote name='Chip In' timestamp='1335928796' post='4829108']
lol? Mid 70's with THAT swing? You've got to be kidding right?
[/quote]
What is so wrong with my swing that would prevent me from playing well. Please explain.
[/quote]W2, FWIW, I believe you, as I'm sure that many others do also, however in this medium, where anonymity rules, from fake avatars to fictitious user names, and people, whether they be juniors, or as sad as it is, adults, one can come onto the net and speak as they never would have the courage to belly-to-belly, lol. I know that it is sometimes difficult to ignore a rude comment, however, though I am 54yo, my Grandmother told me something when I was 15yo, and though I have carried it with me from that time, it was not until I was probably in my mid-late 20's that It hit home and I have Lived by these words since:

"To acknowledge is to give credibility"

I know that it's hard to ignore negative comments, especially when they call into question your integrity or credibility, however, the real world is one thing. The virtual world? Nah, Buddy, it's not worth it. Take the high road, and believe me, you'll feel much better and you won't have to waste the time, energy and emotions with individuals who's highlight of their day is bringing negativity to others' day. It's up to you whether you allow someone to succeed. It's up to you, not them!

I was hoping that by dropping into a Junior thread that it would be free of the negativity, rancor and trolling that takes place in other areas of the sire. However, I guess that the adults that carry on like this are just a few of these posters, only 10-30 years older, lol.

It's sad really, though that's life.

Keep swingin, keep the Faith & have a great season Buddy :)

Fairwys & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hey, I'm 14, and I'm really athletic so I hit it fairly long ;)
Here are my distances,:
-driver:285 average
-3wood:260 average
-5 wood: 240-250 average
-3 hybrid: 220 average
-4 hybrid: 200-210 average
-6 iron:180-190 average
-7iron:170-180 average
-8iron:165 average
-9iron: 155 average
-p wedge: 120-140 average
-s wedge:100-115 ish average
Everything is in yards, oh and my swing speed is 107 mph
I had a track man session!
I play off a 9 handicap

Taylormade Stealth+ 9* w/ ventus black 6x

Taylormade M2 15* w/ GD DI 7x

Srixon ZX 18* w/ GD DI 85x

Srixon ZX5 4i w/ modus 120x

Srixon ZX7 5-Pw w/ modus 120x

Vokey SM9 raw 50*/55*/60* w/ modus 120x

Evnroll ER2

Taylormade tp5x

285 average on 107mph? I smell something funky....

Callaway PM 54* & 58*

My angle of attack is really steep, -7 degrees, its gradually getting higher but it needs some work, ill send a vid once i figure out how to use the app on my phone!

Taylormade Stealth+ 9* w/ ventus black 6x

Taylormade M2 15* w/ GD DI 7x

Srixon ZX 18* w/ GD DI 85x

Srixon ZX5 4i w/ modus 120x

Srixon ZX7 5-Pw w/ modus 120x

Vokey SM9 raw 50*/55*/60* w/ modus 120x

Evnroll ER2

Taylormade tp5x

I consider myself to have fairly realistic distances (10 handicap)

Driver- 240-250
3 wood- 220
3 hybrid- 195
4 hybrid- 185
5 iron- 175
6 iron- 165
7 iron- 155
8 iron- 145
9 iron- 135
PW- 120
AW- 110
54* Wedge- 90 (wedge distances are relative, I use a few different wedges from different distances.)
58* Wedge- 75
Putter- hopefully no longer than 15 feet!

Taylormade SLDR White driver
Taylormade Rocketballz 3 wood
Miura CB-201 Irons 3-PW
Vokey SM4 50*/Vokey SM6 54*/Vokey SM6 58* wedges
Titleist Scotty Cameron American Classic Bullseye Putter
Jones Golf Bag

[quote name='wakeusam' timestamp='1334015396' post='4688422']
[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1333687461' post='4662716']
Oh I wasn't talking about the kids ages 15+.. I mean the kids 14 and under don't hit it 280usually.. But there was a kid from my state who hit it 300 by age 12... The kids at the us junior weren't that long off the tee, with the exception of Spieth and a few others.
[/quote]

Just cause you cant hit it 280-300 doesn't mean noone can by that age
I hit my first 300 yard drive when i was 11
[/quote]

LOL. Good one sir. Did you have to get runway clearance from the controller?

These kids must have watched Tin Cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vygFotutz7Y

Callaway PM 54* & 58*

• 1 year later...