2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Phoenix Area Course Conditions - 2012

moxie

[quote name='ricar1610' timestamp='1341947997' post='5250878']
Anyone played Wigwam Gold recently? LIke in in the last few days/weeks? Playing there Tuesday in a tourney and was wondering about the greens - have played there a million times but not this year. Thanks!
[/quote]

Haven't played Gold, but I played the Blue course several weeks ago and they were kinda grainy from what I remember but still ran pretty good.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone played Wigwam Gold recently? LIke in in the last few days/weeks? Playing there Tuesday in a tourney and was wondering about the greens - have played there a million times but not this year. Thanks!
[/quote]
I played the Gold on fourth of July. Greens were a bit sandy, causing some bumpy rolling. Otherwise, course was in great shape.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1341868725' post='5245130']
saw ocotillo has 49/unlimited golf, anyone been out there?
[/quote]

Here was my report from June 26th:

Played Ocotillo Gold9 and White9 today in a two man scramble.
Greens were 7/10
Fairways 8.5/10
Rough over seeded, bunkers were fair.
Pace was great, staff was great. Mango ice towels, water jugs everywhere.
Definitely would play again soon. It was $49, but it was a tourney. Looks to be $49-$29 on golf now.

]

[/quote]

Playing in the US AM qualifier out there? good luck if so!

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
MP-33 black oxide ti x100
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

Played Wekopa saguaro today, $45. Pretty decent shape, greens a tad slow but rolled true. Not sure I'd make the drive right now, probably stuck to Papago

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Played Las Sendas today. Lots of bare areas, although there are a lot of good lies in the fairways also. Greens recently punched and sanded; very bumpy, and a bit firm on approaches, but slow putting. Both of us putted our average, however. Sand played fine. The range was closed as the tee area is being fully resodded.

Lots of construction going on; new conference center. Both restaurants are currently closed. The on course snack bar was also closed, which was well-signed. We teed off at 3:10 and had the course to ourselves save one group we passed on 11. Got around in 3:15. While the surfaces are iffy (certainly a temporary condition), overall, with the weather and the low cost, it was a worthy round. They currently charge $20 for twilight starting at noon.

Played the TPC Champions course in Scottsdale today. Course in great shape.

I played Southern Dunes yesterday, July 14th. I was disappointed with the conditions. I'd call ahead if I were planning on playing there in the next two weeks. All things considered I'd give it a 3/10, ten being the best. I've played this course when it was a 9/10 so maybe I'm just a little jaded.

[b]Greens[/b]- Had been punched recently and were very bumpy. A lot of bare dirt patches on the greens as well. I was very disappointed in their condition as well as the clubhouse not giving me a heads up on their recent aeration. $50 and a 45 minute drive for these conditions is ridiculous.

[b]Bunkers[/b]- Pretty good shape. Only saw standing water in a couple bunkers.

[b]Fairways[/b]- Mixed conditions. Some were very fast and firm while others were lush and slow. A lot of bare dirt patches in the fairways as well. My group's rules quickly went from "play it as it lies" to " find the nearest patch of grass to play from".

[b]Insects[/b]- Haha, what the hell is with all mosquitoes out there?

The Mosquitos are brutal at southern dunes anytime after they've had a little rain. You gotta figure that the desert is a breeding ground for the bugs, and having a dairy farm to plump up in doesn't help either!

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Longbow took a lot of water in yesterday's storm but sheds it like it was nothing. Drainage basins were filled of course and the bunkers were mostly trashed. Greens were punched earlier this week so they were bumpy and sandy, but the fairways were in typically spectacular condition.

Didn't notice a single insect. :tongue:

[quote name='natural_one' timestamp='1342121843' post='5263844']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1341868725' post='5245130']
saw ocotillo has 49/unlimited golf, anyone been out there?
[/quote]

Here was my report from June 26th:

Played Ocotillo Gold9 and White9 today in a two man scramble.
Greens were 7/10
Fairways 8.5/10
Rough over seeded, bunkers were fair.
Pace was great, staff was great. Mango ice towels, water jugs everywhere.
Definitely would play again soon. It was $49, but it was a tourney. Looks to be $49-$29 on golf now.

]

[/quote]

Playing in the US AM qualifier out there? good luck if so!
[/quote]

Yes and thank you...it should be interesting :)

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

Report from this past weekend July 13th- July15, 2012

[u][b]Quintero[/b][/u]-
Typically $75 I believe, we got on for $55 through our club calling up.
Very very fun experience as always. Course was 8/10. Greens were rolling very nice, bunkers full of sand. Fairways had some burnt spots, but nothing serious for this time of year. I try to get out there 3-4 times a year and it's always a great experience less the little drive out there and lack of a real clubhouse. Keep in mind, the driving range is a ways away from their "clubhouse"/trailers so plan on arriving 15min earlier or so than you would normally.

[u][b]Prescott Golf and Country Club-[/b][/u]
Had a connection to get on, but it looks to be $30-$50 on GolfNow.
Course is good shape for the price and a close escape from Phx heat. Service is lacking...we were told there was a bev cart but never saw one once nor was there an outside service employee anywhere. The little grill up stairs is amazing in my opinion. Cant beat the Pastrami there. Pace is a little slow on the course due to the age of the members playing I believe, but nothing bad, just plan on 4.5hrs if it's booked tight. Greens are a little slow and the bunkers need some sand, otherwise a decent course.

[u][b]Continental Country Club, Flagstaff-[/b][/u]
I believe I paid $50.... for 65* weather and a 7/10 condition course I was happy. Fairways and tee boxes are not all that flat which is my biggest complaint probably. Otherwise it's a decent track with some fun holes through the pines. I'd say there's equally as many easy holes as there are target holes off the tee. Short holes but demanding tee shots on a couple of them. The greens were in great shape, but were rolling slow for what Im used to.

[u][b]Pinewood CC, Munds Park[/b][/u]
Walked 9 after they closed early...we tipped a guy who was in the parking lot leaving who looked the other way :)
Course was wet and we did a "one club challenge"...from what I experienced it's in good shape, but is a short course that anyone should play well at. Very flat and open course. Not sure what they charge.

[u][b]Flagstaff Ranch[/b][/u]
I've played a lot of golf in AZ over the last 10 years and this is easily in my top 3 courses in the state. We paid $100 and it's worth every penny. Phenomenal service, pristine conditions, and breathtaking holes. One of my favorite designed courses ever. In my opinion, these greens are a 10/10. Fairways are perfect, rough is tough but fair, and the bunkers are just right. Definitely play if you get the chance.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

Jayzona played Papago today and said its in the best shape he's ever seen it. Go there if you haven't played it in awhile, it's so good!

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1342811661' post='5317310']
Jayzona played Papago today and said its in the best shape he's ever seen it. Go there if you haven't played it in awhile, it's so good!
[/quote]
Tanks Mark , funny I finally got off my arse and found this section, for some dumb reason I thought this was a sub form under sw players forum and could not find it....Duh just search around.

Yes Papago is in great shape, best shape since the remodel some 4 yrs. ago. Greens are smooth, receptive and rolling around 10. Fairways and tee boxes are great. Bunkers are in good shape and full of sand. Rough iis up for Az. 2-3" in some places. Great pace since we were the 1st out. 3hr round is nice. Only negative is the dam carts ( yeah I know walk) when you stray off the fairway into the desert the carts have a speed limiter that locks you into a snails pace until you get back on the fairway. I guess they are afraid of you jumping moguls or chasing coyotes. Man, I was just trying to run down the Nice cart girl for some ice!

Ping G400 LST 10° GD-MT6
Ping g400 3wd
Ping g400 5wd
Ping G 7wd
Ping G 22°
Ping I-200 6-gw
Ping Glide 54ss~58ss
Seemore Del Mar x3

[quote name='FallingUp' timestamp='1342841127' post='5319960']
It was nice playing with you today at Papago today Jay! Pretty neat to be paired with a fellow WRX member!

I agree that Papago is in very nice shape right now!
[/quote]
Yes always fun meeting new wrx's people on the course....remember my offer for you Cameron still stands ..haha

Ping G400 LST 10° GD-MT6
Ping g400 3wd
Ping g400 5wd
Ping G 7wd
Ping G 22°
Ping I-200 6-gw
Ping Glide 54ss~58ss
Seemore Del Mar x3

Played Raven Verrado for the first time. Course was in pretty good shape overall. The fairways were damp and caused lots of mud balls so we played lift-clean-place and were fine. The rough is thicker and nastier than most any other course I've seen it the Valley, especially for being the middle of summer. Greens rolled great. They've got the greens thick enough to survive the summer but shaved enough to still roll well and true and hold great.

[u][b]Sun City Grand, Granite Falls North course, 7/22/12, $15 paid at the proshop[/b][/u]

Played 36 here on Sunday after watching the Open all morning. For $15 it is a smoking deal. Fairways and rough are in near perfect conditions and you have perfect lies evrytime. There isn't a burnt spot on the course. The greens were about 3 weeks out of punching or so and were a little slow, but otherwise it's a fun track at par 72, 6720 from the tips. Beers are also $1.50 and they have coolers. They have 4 courses out there so Im sure I'll be checking the others out. We were informed Granite Falls South still has some furry greens, so maybe give it a couple more weeks.

[b][u]Las Sendas 7/23/12, $22 paid at the proshop[/u][/b]
Had been wanting to get out here for quite some time and I had to go to Mesa Gateway Airport at 8pm so I made a late afternoon 3:30 tee time with a friend.
The layout is fantastic, definitely some target golf. If you aren't playing with anyone who has played it, I would highly recommend spending $5 on a yardage book as we hit some drives dead on our aiming points and ended up in the desert. Its tough to tell where to go on some dog legs. The course was in decent condition, as it did have quite a few dry burnt areas in the fairway. The greens were sandy but very nice, probably rolling at a 10 or 11 which I prefer. My only complaint is that their outside service guy pulled the pins on 17 and 18 before we finished (which was 6:15pm, waaay too early in my opinion) which made us a little upset as we had a good game going. There is no beverage cart, no snack shop, but there is water every other hole.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1343021841' post='5332284']
Played Raven Verrado for the first time. Course was in pretty good shape overall. The fairways were damp and caused lots of mud balls so we played lift-clean-place and were fine. The rough is thicker and nastier than most any other course I've seen it the Valley, especially for being the middle of summer. Greens rolled great. They've got the greens thick enough to survive the summer but shaved enough to still roll well and true and hold great.
[/quote]

Encountered similar conditions on my last play out there last summer. It was disappointing because for all the previous visits, the course was marvelously firm and fast. To be fair, we have had a lot of recent rain. But I just don't get the 3" bermuda rough on a public golf course. Unnecessary and a detraction from the wonderful design.

[quote name='natural_one' timestamp='1343143410' post='5341866']

[b][u]Las Sendas 7/23/12, $22 paid at the proshop[/u][/b]
... I would highly recommend spending $5 on a yardage book as we hit some drives dead on our aiming points and ended up in the desert.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, a yardage book won't help. :bad:

[b]Kokopelli - 7/18 - $15 twilight[/b]

Course was playing very, very firm. Lots of roll out in the fairways. "Rough" is pretty much hardpan with some patches of grass over most of the course, but the fairways had good lies.
Greens were very unreceptive, I wasn't hitting a lot of them, but when I did there wasn't really a ball mark. Made for some very challenging play overall.

Need to try get out to Papago from the sounds of it.

Played GC Sidewinder Sunday 7-22. Everything was in fine shape except the greens; well some bare areas in the fairways, but not much compared to other courses I've been on over the last 5-6 weeks. The greens were VERY bumpy due to aeration. They held approaches well, but putting was very affected. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before they recover sufficiently.

Played at a curiously quick pace for a Sunday morning round. Got around in 3:45.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Phoenix WRX's,

I'll be coming down your way next Thursday the 9th and we'll be staying at Talking Stick resort. I'm thinking of one round early at the golf club on Friday and possibly one more round early on Saturday. I just saw one review on the golf club that was in June IIRC, has anyone played it recently and is there another option close to the resort? If anyone is up for getting together for the Friday round, please let me know.

Thanks!

[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1344140750' post='5408530']
Hello Phoenix WRX's,

I'll be coming down your way next Thursday the 9th and we'll be staying at Talking Stick resort.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, my favorite, the North course, is closed for greens resurfacing. But the South is a good play as well. More of a traditional style but still featuring some of the delightful Bill Coore touches that make the course challenging and fun.

Played Desert Canyon on Saturday 8/4. Course in pretty good shape although the greens were a bit fuzzy. Slow rolling. We were the first ones off and finished in 3:40. Nice round for $30, threw in a hotdog.

Southern Dunes as of today anyone? Maybe playing in the AZ Mid-am but don't want to pay the money and drive all that way if the course is in bad shape...the low number of entries so far tells me it might not be good...

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

[u][b]Elephant Rocks in Williams, AZ: August 17th, 2012[/b][/u]
Played a scramble, which was $45.00...That didn't include a meal so Im guessing that's roughly the going rack rate.
Besides the rain, it was a great track for the price and cool weather. Fairways and rough are lush, greens were rolling smooth and at a decent pace.
Always fun to play there. Saw a bev cart once. 4hr round, and if you're looking for decent deal up north on a pretty easy track, I'd recommend it.

[u][b]Ocotillo Golf Course, GIlbert AZ: August 20th, 2012[/b][/u]
Teed off at 6:30am, done by 10:15. Played white9 then gold9. Besides being paired with the absolute rudest guy I've ever played with who was easily a 20hdcp and insisted he played the tips with me, it was a great day. Course is very good shape, but the greens are awfully slow. Hit two fairway bunkers off the tee and one was like walking through a foot of snowy powder is was so freshly filled, the other was nicer. Their player's service guy who drives around is legit...He stayed with 2 ladies in front of us and even helped them rake bunkers to get them caught up to the group in front. Very nice guy. Saw the cart girl 4 times. Iced mango towels once done. I had won a 2some gift certificate from a tournament their and took me dad for his bday, so not sure on current pricing. I always like the experience here and highly recommend it.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

[u][b]Boulders - North Course, Carefree, AZ: August 23rd, 2012[/b][/u]
$45 plus fees from GolfNow. Teed off around 2:30 with a threesome of my buddies. What an excellent day. The weather really took a turn for the better so it was hot but humidity was down so it wasn't a sweat fest. The course conditioning was great. It has rained 1.5" over night so the course was playing quite damp. That said the greens still played nicely even though they were a touch soggy, which has to be a sign of good conditioning overall. The bunkers where in fantastic shape. The one I found my self in on the first par 3 had very large grain sand which I had never seen before, we had no problem making shots out of them all day though. There were a few patches here and there that were in rough shape, but it never detracted from play. I found the course to be fun and relatively forgiving for a "Desert Golf" style course.