2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Phoenix Area Course Conditions - 2012

moxie

Where you playin? What it look like?
Figured I would fire up a new thread to track course conditions for the Spring/Summer/Fall.
I tend to play a lot more when its cheap, so I want to use this thread for selfish purposes.
Please post your latest rounds!

Bear Creek Cub - 4/21 - $30
Course was in good condition, green's were slower than they have been, but the snowbirds are leaving so that's pretty normal.
Was a little soggy, probably in preparation for the hot temps. Assume the Bear in in similar shape, might play there this weekend.
Definitely too much money for what I got, but I wanted to work on my iron game before a Sunday round.

Trilogy Power Ranch - 4/22 - $59
Very good condition overall. Greens were quick without being punishingly fast. No bare patches, certainly playing to in-season conditions right now.
This was my first time playing here and I was impressed. I played with a few guys from work, so this was above my normal budget, but it was certainly worth it.
I would like to try play here again later in May, perhaps I can swing a better deal.

Kokopelli - 4/23 - $10 Super Duper Mega Twilight (4:30)
I have a $45 range membership here, which entitles me to reduced twilight rates and as many balls as I can hit. If you live in the area, and need a practice facility, it is a great bargain.
Conditions were alright, though I can see things are degrading a little bit from peak season. I played two weeks ago at the same time and there were about 80% more people, and the conditions were a little bit better.
The greens have slowed a little bit from the way they played a month ago, but they were still good. There are a few patches around the course under repair or just bald. But maybe that's just part of the appeal.
This place is always cheap, and once it gets hot it is a twilight golfers dream. I stopped playing after 12 holes, but I am pretty sure I could have gotten at least 15 in if I hadn't been tired.

I will try to keep up with this thread, I hope to play at least 3-4 times per month until October.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Raven - South Mountain[/b] 4/22 - $55
Course is in fantastic shape and the greens were immaculate. Running about a 10, so not super fast and not slow, very playable. Our round took 4:20 to complete and rarely waited on the group in front of us and never really got pushed by the group behind us. The marshal did tell us to stay up with the group in front of us on Hole 9, which I was very pleased to see the course really make an effort to keep the pace of play good.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

• 1 month later...

Have been slacking on the course update front...

Kokopelli - I play at least once a week around 4:30 or 5:00 - $15 (I get out for $10 with my range membership)

Conditions are still holding up. Greens were drying up a touch as of May 30 but they still accepted balls well on approaches and were putting well. Fairways were getting a bit dry and patchy on some holes, but I like the extra roll out anyway. No patchy greens at all. Overall worth a play, especially for the money.

Dobson Ranch - 6/1 - $20 twilight with cart

Course was in great shape overall, and the greens were fantastic. This was my first time there and I will be playing here as much as I can. I enjoyed playing a non desert course where my crappy shots just required escapes from trees instead of lost balls in the crap. If you are in the area and need somewhere to play I highly recommend th Dobson. Though I am sure all of the locals already knew this, definitely one of the best Munis I have played.

Sunbird ([url="http://www.sunbirdgolf.com/golf-course/scorecard"]Par 66[/url]) - 6/2 - $12-15 twilight with cart (they let me replay for free)

I really enjoy playing this course. It is super short (~4400 from the back blues), but I think it has an interesting layout. I have been trying to work on hitting different shot shapes, and there are a number of holes that are really fun to play with a draw or fade. The par 3 holes are all pretty boring, but hitting greens feels good. The conditions have been good so far. The greens were a little dry, but it was 108* or something. If you are looking for a place to work on your game on the cheap in Chandler, this isnt a bad spot. Who needs a practice range when you have a practice course for a little more than a large bucket. It is in a 55+ community, but I have found everyone really friendly.

Sorry it isnt anything more high end. I'm holding it down for the cheap asses. I will hopefully play a nicer course next weekend with some buddies.

Where has everyone else been playing?

Timely thread, heading out next week with a couple buddies to play for a few days. Wednesday we're open but looking for something for something either close to the airport or something heading in the direction of Fountain Hills....maybe Longbow or even TPC Stadium. Thursday we're booked for 36 at Grayhawk. Friday we're still trying to determine what we want to do.....play 36 at Troon North, head to Sedona and Seven Canyons or south to Tucson and Dove Mountain. Saturday we're finishing up with 36 at WeKoPa. Any condition updates or thoughts for our open dates would be greatly appreciated.

I'd pick heading up to Sedona over Tucson, the weather is going to be so much better up north.

Can't comment on the other courses current conditions, but stadium is generally regarding as being pretty rough when it's not I tournament shape, especially for what they want in green fees.

Actually my buddy and I were talking about how it's incredible what some places are getting away with in green fees right now, so much for rates dropping LOW in the summer.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Played Wigwam Blue/Patriot course Sunday. Tee to green, the course was in great shape. The greens were fairly grainy but still ran OK. But I was surprised how unwelcoming the staff out there was. The guy in the shop and the outside services guy acted like we were being a pain just by being there.

I played both Whirlwind courses a few weeks ago and they were in great shape overall. Great facility, too. Definitely a good place to spend 36 holes with their Whirlwind Marathon deal.

I'm playing Orange Tree on Saturday and McCormick Palm on Sunday so I can report back on those.

I played Wildfire Faldo last Friday for $59. Price has since dropped to $39 on GolfNow.com.

Course in excellent shape, service outstanding as usual. Enjoy the sand, about 150 bunkers on this course.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

I'm playing the duke on Friday, I'll post up then. Legacy was in great shape a few weeks ago and aguila has been in awesome shape as well.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='C. Spackler' timestamp='1338919112' post='5035288']
Timely thread, heading out next week with a couple buddies to play for a few days. Wednesday we're open but looking for something for something either close to the airport or something heading in the direction of Fountain Hills....maybe Longbow or even TPC Stadium. Thursday we're booked for 36 at Grayhawk. Friday we're still trying to determine what we want to do.....play 36 at Troon North, head to Sedona and Seven Canyons or south to Tucson and Dove Mountain. Saturday we're finishing up with 36 at WeKoPa. Any condition updates or thoughts for our open dates would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Play Raven Phoenix without a doubt! Amazing course and green speeds. Parkland style course in the desert. Awesome track.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Miura TC201 4-6 & MC502 7-PW with Steelfiber 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

[quote name='C. Spackler' timestamp='1338919112' post='5035288']
[/quote]

Play Raven Phoenix without a doubt! Amazing course and green speeds. Parkland style course in the desert. Awesome track.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Miura TC201 4-6 & MC502 7-PW with Steelfiber 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

Duke was I good shape, greens had been verti cut but not punched yet, rolled at a good pace, but not extremely true. Fairways are fine. Always in good condition, but never fantastic. Better than alotof places though and worth the drive for $25

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Made the drive out to Vista Verde today. I think I love that course a little more each time I play it. Anyway, the course is in good shape for this time of year. Some browning in the fairways and a few bare-ish patches but pretty decent all around. Greens looked to have been punched fairly recently and again a few bare patches but still running pretty true for this time of year. Firm and fast as every other time I've played it. Well worth the money as always. Definitely a better "deal" that GC Estrella was last weekend.

Legend Trail yesterday was maybe a 6/10.
It was a benefit tourney, so I can't comment on greens fees. Call proshop.

Fair amount of dry spots in the fairway and greens were semi-bumpy and relatively dry.
Regardless of the green looks, they held up decently with shorter irons and surprisingly rolled pure even with the bumps.
Bunkers were full, but rarely raked well.
Tee boxes were level and had good grass.
Beverage cart came often, 16oz beers for $4.00, free iced towels.

Super fun track in North Scottsdale if you haven't played it...some good elevation changes and usually in very good shape.
I'd watch the prices here for a good rate in the next 6weeks as the course comes back in and treat yourself to a fun round.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
MP-33 black oxide ti x100
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1339277125' post='5058660']
Well, Orange Tree wasn't in great shape. All the fairways have been recently aerated so there's punched holes everywhere, lots of dead spots and a couple greens that have been partially re-sodded making half the green GUR. The other greens are ok, but kinda bumpy. I'd avoid this course for awhile.
[/quote]

Agreed, just played here on the 9th. Staff is extremely friendly, however course was in rough shape. In addition to what was mentioned, the sand traps played like concrete thinly covered with dirt.

Played Wigwam (Heritage) on Friday (6/15). Course in great shape. Something I hadn't seen before.... A sixsome (yes, SIX) from the Men's club were behind us, all of them in their own carts. Six carts rolling down the fairway. One of the rangers told me that they play speed golf, don't putt out and attempt to get done in about 3 hours. The ranger told me that they like to play fast and maybe we could pick up the pace. For the record, we finished in about 4:10 minutes. I told the ranger that the sixsome trying to play speed golf was NOT my problem.

Played We-Ko-Pa Cholla today (6/17). Course in terrible shape, burned very bad, sand traps like mud. Do NOT bother with this course until things have improved. One beverage cart per nine, saw her once all day. Doubt I'll be back.

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1339995724' post='5118944']
Anyone played Stoneridge in Prescott lately? A group of 8-9 of us are headed up next weekend for two days.
[/quote]

I played Stoneridge a couple of weeks ago. Course in very good shape. Don't know if you've ever played it, but there are a lot of blind shots and play close attention to pin positions. Par 5s can be reached in two. High cappers should bring a lot of balls.

Just got back from a short trip and found the Saguaro course @ We Ko Pa in fantastic shape. Cant say the same for Cholla, it had alot of burned out areas. The greens were in decent shape but almost all the fairways were suffering, maybe a 6/7 out of 10. Surprising since Saguaro was in such great shape but the staff was top notch and lunch was fantastic .

Played both courses at Grayhawk and found them both in good condition but nothing spectacular. Found the staff to be a bit stuffy and not very personable.

Dinosaur Mt was in great shape and we nearly had the course to ourselves. A very friendly and accomodating staff with great views and better prices.

Also drove up to Sedona and played Seven Canyons....wow, what a place. The course was in great shape, the temp was about 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix and the views are amazing. Fantastic setting!

[quote name='gotj1' timestamp='1339974732' post='5115826']
Played the Raven last week and it was decent. 50 bucks for a round was still a little expensive. [b]Hearing the TPC Champions is in great shape right now.[/b]
[/quote]

Whoever you have been hearing that from should be beat with a 8 iron. Their greens are offensive!! We play there weekly. Closed right now for a punch and sand...

Played Dobson Ranch again on Friday, still excellent shape. Very very impressed for my second time out.
Shot a 91 with a career low back nine 38(+3). Front nine was obviously embarrassing, but it felt amazing to play good golf for 9 straight holes on the back.

Kokopelli is also holding up ok. Hopefully the big fire today didnt do any damage to 15.

I know Bear Creek punched the Bear greens about two weeks ago, and the Cub on the 12th.
Might venture out tomorrow and see how it looks.

Any other South/East East valley reports? hard for me to stray too far these days.

Weird. I played both WeKoPa Cholla (morning) and Saguaro Sunday, and I didn't notice much in the way of burned out areas on Cholla. I'm a little red-green color blind, so maybe that doesn't stand out to me. The only issues I had on Cholla were a couple of soggy areas, which, to my experience, is not surprising on Cholla. Also, I was in 3 greenside bunkers on Cholla and they all played great. Imo, the greens on Cholla were very receptive and putted reliably. I do recall one green having a burned out area; I think it was #6. I'm playing Cholla again this Friday, so I'll see if I have a different opinion after that.

Saguaro was in fine shape, and per usual, was firmer than Cholla. I played Saguaro a couple of weeks ago and the greens were annoyingly non-receptive, and our group had trouble finding the right pace, but this past Sunday the greens seemed fine. I was only in one greenside bunker on Saguaro this past Sunday, and it was in fine shape.

The other courses I've played in the last couple of weeks were all in fine shape: GC Sidewinder, The Duke, Las Sendas. Johnson Ranch had the best greens of all of those, imho. I heard that JR punched the greens 1.5 weeks ago, so it may be another week or so before they're back.

Played Prescott Country Club last week... you'd have to call for prices, I had an in fortunately. It is semi private, anyone can play but they do have members with privileges for certain times.

Course is in very good shape. Greens are not perfect, but are very accepting to all irons in and roll well. I was spinning back 5 and 6 irons even. Managed a nice 32 (-4) with two bogies on the front. Fairways AND the rough have both come in great...this is one of the first years they've seeded the rough, so it was definitely a treat to have some real rough for a change and not just thin dormant grass. Bunkers are fair, fairways are pure, staff is great and the bar is stocked!! haha

Great weather, only an hour or so from N Phx. Highly recommended while the Phx courses take time to come in!

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
MP-33 black oxide ti x100
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat