2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Phoenix Area Course Conditions - 2012

moxie

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we were just gonna do 36 at antelope hills to save time (and money). I'm joining Mesa cc in august now so it will be my last hurrah, if I can make it with my wifes work schedule/ getting a babysitter

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1340158015' post='5132548']
I think we were just gonna do 36 at antelope hills to save time (and money). I'm joining Mesa cc in august now so it will be my last hurrah, if I can make it with my wifes work schedule/ getting a babysitter
[/quote]

Cool....keep me posted. I'll make a weekend of it and try to get Prescott Lakes or Talking Rock in. Been 2+ months out because of my back...so need to make up for lost time!

[quote name='YMark' timestamp='1340035617' post='5121328']
[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1339995724' post='5118944']
Anyone played Stoneridge in Prescott lately? A group of 8-9 of us are headed up next weekend for two days.
[/quote]

I played Stoneridge a couple of weeks ago. Course in very good shape. Don't know if you've ever played it, but there are a lot of blind shots and play close attention to pin positions. Par 5s can be reached in two. High cappers should bring a lot of balls.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I've played it about five times and we did a 2-day event this time last year too. Definitely quirky, but the designer pulled it off well. I'm not one for lots of blind shots and such but I think the course is a blast. Glad to hear it's in good shape.

I'm a 5 hcp but play with guys between 16-36hcp so we play the white tees at 6000. I've played it from the tips and gold tees and gotten beat up so it's fun to play from the shorter tees. Even at 6000 yards, it can be a b**** when that wind starts blowing.

Played the Adobe Course at Arizona Biltmore this morning.

Probably one of the most overpriced courses during the high season, but I reserved my tee time via GolfNow 90 minutes before I teed off for $20. For that price, it's actually quite nice. Fairways were pretty good, greens were decent. Some areas were pretty burned out, but they were areas generally well off the greens that aren't always in play (or shouldn't be, at least).

I like the course because it's right near my fiancee's house and it's a great layout for a nice, relaxing round. If you can get on for under 30, it's not all that bad right now

Just returned from my annual Phoenix summer golf trip with my brother. We've been doing this for the past 5-6 years and have played many of the top courses in town (there are so many, we haven't had to repeat courses yet). We played the following five courses over four days:

[b][u]Quintero[/u][/b]
Beautiful course. Very fair off the tee. Greens were a little bumpy due to the recent aerification (about 2 1/2 weeks ago), but still rolled very nice. Very, very nice course.

[b][u]Gold Canyon - Dinosaur[/u][/b]
I love this course. The elevation changes are really nice. Course was in really good shape. Only complaint I have about this course is that there is no drinking water on the course. You have to buy water before you go out and at $2.50 for a small bottle, I thought that was pretty cheap of them. During the summer, they should either provide water or not charge so much.

[b][u]Longbow[/u][/b]
Didn't like this course. Greens were pretty hard and not very receptive. They rolled nice, but this course was my least favorite of the five we played. In my opinion, just a weird layout. We won't be coming back here.

[b][u]The Boulders - South[/u][/b]
Great course, great condition. Greens were extremely soft and receptive. Really amazing given the time of year. Definitely a target style course.

[b][u]Talking Stick - South[/u][/b]
Great way to end the trip as the fairways are very generous. Given that this was our fifth round in four days, I really liked the forgiveness. Greens were in really good shape. Bunkers were in great shape as well.

With the exception of Longbow, I would highly recommend the other four courses. The conditions were generally great given the time of year.

Talking Rock is by far the best course in Prescott. Prescott Country Club is fun and is in in decent shape. i understand there are new owners.
Stoneridge is fun but very quirky. The 18th hole is a blast. Almost unplayable unless you know how to play it. After your tee shot,drive to the top of the hill to see where to hit your layup. Big hitters can go for it in two. I love the course. My friends hate it.

Played WeKoPa Cholla and Saguaro Friday. I have to agree that Cholla is in pretty rough shape. However, they do keep it moist, and it didn't really play terribly. And the sand that I was in played fine. I played with a twosome who hadn't played there before and they had no complaints about the conditions other than the bumpy green on #13.

Saguaro was in great shape all around.

Part of why I decided to play the second 18 (Saguaro) was because the round was gratis, as last week was the week for free rounds for WeKoPass holders (after 11am). But I do think that if you're going to play in the heat of a hot Arizona day, you're probably better off at WeKoPa than most courses. Water coolers filled with good-tasting ice cold water every two holes. Lots of shade trees near greens and tee boxes. Active beverage cart, and iced towels handed out at least once per 18.

3 months away from golfing must have done me good....Used my free round at Saguaro on Saturday and shot 84...lots of rust; also booked Sunday at 720 and this time shot 74 and missed 3 birdie putts by a hair and had a 3 putt!!.

Saguaro was in great shape for this time of year with only a few random drier areas and some saturated spots.

[quote name='CJ Hanson' timestamp='1340589336' post='5161016']
Just returned from my annual Phoenix summer golf trip with my brother. We've been doing this for the past 5-6 years and have played many of the top courses in town (there are so many, we haven't had to repeat courses yet). We played the following five courses over four days:

[b][u]Quintero[/u][/b]
Beautiful course. Very fair off the tee. Greens were a little bumpy due to the recent aerification (about 2 1/2 weeks ago), but still rolled very nice. Very, very nice course.

I love this course. The elevation changes are really nice. Course was in really good shape. Only complaint I have about this course is that there is no drinking water on the course. You have to buy water before you go out and at $2.50 for a small bottle, I thought that was pretty cheap of them. During the summer, they should either provide water or not charge so much.

[b][u]Longbow[/u][/b]
Didn't like this course. Greens were pretty hard and not very receptive. They rolled nice, but this course was my least favorite of the five we played. In my opinion, just a weird layout. We won't be coming back here.

Great course, great condition. Greens were extremely soft and receptive. Really amazing given the time of year. Definitely a target style course.

Great way to end the trip as the fairways are very generous. Given that this was our fifth round in four days, I really liked the forgiveness. Greens were in really good shape. Bunkers were in great shape as well.

With the exception of Longbow, I would highly recommend the other four courses. The conditions were generally great given the time of year.
[/quote]

I've lived here for almost two years and have played just about every great course in the valley. I think longbow is probably the most overrated course out here. It's a decent layout but kind of flat and boring. I guess it's a good fair tournament layout, but just no wow factor for tourists. I believe most people disagree, but I prefer Las Sendas any day for this part of town.

[quote name='xjohnx' timestamp='1340719562' post='5169684']
[quote name='CJ Hanson' timestamp='1340589336' post='5161016']

[b][u]Quintero[/u][/b]

[b][u]Longbow[/u][/b]

[/quote]

I've lived here for almost two years and have played just about every great course in the valley. I think longbow is probably the most overrated course out here. It's a decent layout but kind of flat and boring. I guess it's a good fair tournament layout, but just no wow factor for tourists. I believe most people disagree, but I prefer Las Sendas any day for this part of town.
[/quote]

:) Disagree, like Longbow hated Las Sendas

played Club West yesterday- even though it's $15 and their system was down and it ended up being free...I would not go back.
They will be closed ALL of july and august....hopefully september they get the course back. it was 95% dry and fried. stay away for a while.

Played Ocotillo Gold9 and White9 today in a two man scramble.
Greens were 7/10
Fairways 8.5/10
Rough over seeded, bunkers were fair.
Pace was great, staff was great. Mango ice towels, water jugs everywhere.
Definitely would play again soon. It was $49, but it was a tourney. Looks to be $49-$29 on golf now.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
MP-33 black oxide ti x100
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

[quote name='moxie' timestamp='1340917088' post='5185514']
Has anyone played Sunridge Canyon lately?

Some coworkers want to head up there this weekend.

I have been dominated by work... I need to get some rounds in ASAP.
[/quote]

GCAT had an event on Sunday and most comments were lukewarm to disappointed. Dry, hard and patchy.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1340937639' post='5187348']

[/quote]

GCAT had an event on Sunday and most comments were lukewarm to disappointed. Dry, hard and patchy.
[/quote]

I heard the range is closed.

[quote name='CJ Hanson' timestamp='1340948687' post='5188102']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1340937639' post='5187348']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I heard the range is closed.
[/quote]

They're doing a bunch of work on the range and clubhouse/restaurant this summer. I'm on their email list and I believe it said their range is closed until fall as they build a new Jim McLean School facility.

Superstition Springs has a special for $19 for 18 and includes two beers. Course was in great shape. They were also running a special for $29 all you can golf. Also played Gold Canyon Sidewinder course last thursday and it was in great shape, only paid $25 per person. There was NO cart girl out in the morning. Headed up to Show Low to play Bison Ranch Monday, I hope its in great shape. I have never played there and hear the fairways are very tight.

[quote name='pitcher33' timestamp='1340957456' post='5188302']
Superstition Springs has a special for $19 for 18 and includes two beers. Course was in great shape. They were also running a special for $29 all you can golf. Also played Gold Canyon Sidewinder course last thursday and it was in great shape, only paid $25 per person. There was NO cart girl out in the morning. Headed up to Show Low to play Bison Ranch Monday, I hope its in great shape. I have never played there and hear the fairways are very tight.
[/quote]

I'd like to hear the report on Bison Ranch. I've considered driving up there to play it but the reviews always dissuade me from going.

Also...StoneRidge in Prescott was in great shape. Greens were tough to read but rolling good, fairways were great and the sand was a little crispy but still good.

[quote name='pitcher33' timestamp='1340957456' post='5188302']
[/quote]

Any trick to scoring the Superstition Springs special? How about Gold Canyon, is the dinosaur course the same price?

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

ASU Karsten is in pretty good shape. Played there yesterday. Not my favorite course, but my friends wanted to have our outing there. The green looked dried out like they would run fast, but they run average speed at best. Not sure what's up with the greens' turf either. The ground almost crumbles when you repair a divot. Still very playable, though.

[u][b]Southern Dunes[/b][/u]
June 30 - $40

Had always heard good things about this course, I was very excited to play. I would rate it a 6/10 from a conditioning point of view, which is all because of the fairways. Lots of brown aerated junk, terribly thin lies in the good parts of the fairway. The proshop even suggested nudging to a better lie if you found the bad spots. Which I took to mean "All bad parts of the fairway are Ground Under Repair." ;)
Greens were good, though I found the speed inconsistent. The sand in the bazillion bunkers was good, though many on the front had a large amount of bees. Very odd.
I would not go back again until I was sure the conditions had come back. The Canadian twosome we played with said The Duke was in much better shape. Maybe head out there soon.

[quote name='moxie' timestamp='1341206593' post='5202388']
[u][b]Southern Dunes[/b][/u]
June 30 - $40

Had always heard good things about this course, I was very excited to play. I would rate it a 6/10 from a conditioning point of view, which is all because of the fairways. Lots of brown aerated junk, terribly thin lies in the good parts of the fairway. The proshop even suggested nudging to a better lie if you found the bad spots. Which I took to mean "All bad parts of the fairway are Ground Under Repair." ;)
Greens were good, though I found the speed inconsistent. The sand in the bazillion bunkers was good, though many on the front had a large amount of bees. Very odd.
I would not go back again until I was sure the conditions had come back. The Canadian twosome we played with said The Duke was in much better shape. Maybe head out there soon.
[/quote]

Well, that's not the news I was hoping for. My group of friends was planning an outing for there in two weeks, but sounds like we may want to look elsewhere.

[quote name='silentcmh' timestamp='1341210652' post='5202536']
Well, that's not the news I was hoping for. My group of friends was planning an outing for there in two weeks, but sounds like we may want to look elsewhere.
[/quote]

I was definitely let down.
I had a good time, and it was playable, I just think you can get a better round in somewhere else for ~$40