2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

How to tell if you are playing a public course...

- When you see lots of guys show up with personal picnic size cooler full of Miller lite. (or having good time post round drink on the parking lot with their trucks cargo gate open)

- Ball retriever is in everyone's bag

- Grill has nothing but hot dogs to eat

- "No mulligan" sign on the first tee

- Par 3 tees are destroyed with chunked shots

- On course trash cans full of empty Milelr lite cans and Honey buns wrapper.

- See lots of tread mark on the wet spot on the course near the green

- When you hit a tee shots and goes to other fw, you see a cart running with your ball

- When you have to fix more than 5 ball marks on the green other than yours

- Bunkers are flooded or packed as hard as concrete

- "Golfers are responsible for the property damage" sign posted on sharp dog leg holes

- Driving range installed with tour issued matts

- "No chipping" sign posted on practice green but don't have practice bunker nor chipping green (You will find many people chipping around the green despite what the sign says)

- When you find Pall Mall cigarett butt on the green (not even a cigar ashe)

- Everyone chews

- When you see people jumping the fence to fish on the pond (they will move out of your way when you are ready to hit tee shots over the water cause someone will get hit)

- Proshop has wonderful collection of merchandise that remind me of seniors collection from 80's

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell you're at a public course because you see my S10 pickup, me changing my shoes in the parking lot (yeah, maybe my shirt too), a six pack ready to go, REALXING ready to play some golf, and NOT wondering if I have to keep up appearances with uptight snots at Private clubs...like the ones I grew up on.

I know those clubs. And it's not something I wanted to be a part of.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

You know you're at a public course when the only person you encounter between your car and the first tee is the kid behind the counter in the pro shop who takes your 25 bucks and asks "You need a receipt?".

Contrast that to the obstacle course you find at some private and resort courses where someone wants to a) lift your bag out the trunk b) give you a ride the 40 paces to the pro shop c) fiddle around with your clubs while you're signing in d) offer you another ride the 60 paces to the first tee. And several other miscellaneous employees who need to greet you can be acknowledged with at least a hello and preferably a fiver.

As for changing shoes in the parking lot, why on earth would I want to do that? I put my golf shoes on before I leave home and take them off when I get back. Why waste daylight changing shoes when you could be playing golf or at least practicing your chipping?

hmm... understandable about the shoes, I guess.

But my shoes and my clubs live in my truck from May - October. So they aren't ever at home for me to change them there. Also I mostly wear some type of sandal in the summer so changing shoes is a snap. (not golf sandals, of course.)

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='youfromjoisey' timestamp='1337546595' post='4947006']
[quote name='SnapFade2' timestamp='1337521169' post='4945510']
when the guy you got paired up with ask if you would like a bong hit on the second hole
[/quote]

I usually wait at least 5 holes before breaking out the bong.
[/quote]

Good idea. A friend of mine was a female Deputy Sheriff when she first starting playing golf. When we went out and someone we were paired up with would pull out something and light up it was hilarious how someone acted after I would mention to them she was a Deputy and you might want to put that out.
Find out what everyone does before lighting up. LOL

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1337620119' post='4951406']
This thread smells pretentious
[/quote]

I completely agree. Not seeing any humor in this besides people walking around in tank tops.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

I think the hangup about changing shoes in the parking lot is one of the most ridiculous things to worry about that I've ever heard of. My shoes are right there in my trunk next to my clubs, why not put them on there, it takes about 10 seconds. If I walk down to the locker room (where by the way, all the lockers are rented), then when I'm done I have to go back there before I leave instead of just walking out the door of the cart barn and jumping in my car. It just seems like an incredibly stupid thing to worry about.

Changed my shoes in the parking lot at Pebble Beach last month.....surpirsingly enough, they still let me play.

[size="3"][/size]

I went to the range at my home course this weekend. The far left spot on the tee line was open and thats where I was heading. There was a guy, a BIG guy, hitting a couple spots down. He was dressed in some nice golf gear with a Titleist flat brim and hitting the ball well. I said to myself "looks like Colt Knost is here working on his game". Well, Ive never seen Colt like this. The shirt this guy was wearing was a bit too short and not tucked in. Whenever he would swing he would hold the follow through and this HUGE boiler was exposed hanging out the bottom of his shirt and below the belt line. To his credit, the guy had a good swing. Compact with a nice turn and follow through. Good balance. He was hitting it pretty crisp. The thing is, it was that nice turn and follow through that allowed his gut to hang out like it did.

My home course (muni) has a sign above the urinal asking people to please flush when finished.

I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow...............

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1337620119' post='4951406']
This thread smells pretentious
[/quote]

I would agree except I suspect most of us adding to this thread probably play public courses most, if not all the time.

Perhaps there should also be a thread about how to tell if you are playing an exclusive private course.

When you get to the clubhouse and see 3 signs on the front door:

1) Hours of operation

2) Shirt and shoes required at all times.

3) No outside coolers allowed on course.

I get to #6 and see two guys in cutoffs who are barefoot and taking their shirts off while popping another cold one out of the cooler they brought along.

On another course, you see the greenskeeper jumping up an down in the fairway, because he finally got the first sprinkler (on the entire course!) working again.

[quote name='thatsone' timestamp='1337623930' post='4951840']I would agree except I suspect most of us adding to this thread probably play public courses most, if not all the time.

Perhaps there should also be a thread about how to tell if you are playing an exclusive private course.
[/quote]

Doubtful many even know what that's like?

(okay that was a joke)

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1337494114' post='4944894']
You know you are at a public course when you hear a conversation between two old guys that goes like this:
Guy 1: "Wow, I just love the way she plays golf"
Guy 2: "Surely", I just love the way her butt looks when she walks."

[/quote]

You're implying that a guy isn't supposed to comment to a buddy about a woman's nice butt? MackDaddy, that 's so patently ridiculous, I don't know where to start arguing with you.

Ping I20 10.5* and 16.5*
Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, plus 1/2"
Cleveland 52* and 58*
Coutour Tri-Fit, Gullane, 350g
Bridgestone B-330S

"Public" does not equal "Municipal".

In case ya'll haven't heard, "Private" courses are dying off in scores.

I've played quite a few "public" courses where I never touched my bag. Valet took the car, clubs were in my cart... brought the cart back... went to the valet... clubs freshly cleaned and put back in my car.

And the "shoe changing" thing is insane. Let me get this straight... you guys wear your golf shoes all day if you're coming to the course before/after some other activity (work, dinner, lunch, Home Depot, church, etc)?!?!

finally... this thread is all in good fun I'm sure... but it reeks of pretension.

You don't have to tuck in your shirt.

You can wear jeans or cargo shorts.

You don't have to wear a collared shirt.

You can pay cash for you food and drinks instead of charging it to the members account and having to pay them back.

You don't have to buy food or drinks to reach a minimum spending requirement.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

You can't drop the kids off at the pool

The starter doesn't ask how your father is doing

Non white carts

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

[quote name='BigOgolfer' timestamp='1337629179' post='4952382']
You know you are at a public course when you hear a conversation between two old guys that goes like this:
Guy 1: "Wow, I just love the way she plays golf"
Guy 2: "Surely", I just love the way her butt looks when she walks."

[/quote]

You're implying that a guy isn't supposed to comment to a buddy about a woman's nice butt? MackDaddy, that 's so patently ridiculous, I don't know where to start arguing with you.
[/quote]

And that it would never happen on a private course, even.

That's why we HAVE Private Clubs :partytime2:

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='crapula' timestamp='1337631183' post='4952584']

[/quote]

Not at any of the public links I play....

cargo shorts MAYBE

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Suntower' timestamp='1337630655' post='4952532']
"Public" does not equal "Municipal".

In case ya'll haven't heard, "Private" courses are dying off in scores.

I've played quite a few "public" courses where I never touched my bag. Valet took the car, clubs were in my cart... brought the cart back... went to the valet... clubs freshly cleaned and put back in my car.

And the "shoe changing" thing is insane. Let me get this straight... you guys wear your golf shoes all day if you're coming to the course before/after some other activity (work, dinner, lunch, Home Depot, church, etc)?!?!

finally... this thread is all in good fun I'm sure... but it reeks of pretension.
[/quote]

I have a pair of FootJoy Contour "shop" shoes. If I'm going to take off work early to play golf I wear those to work then straight to the golf course without changing. I also play golf in the same (golf) shirt and slacks I wore to work.

On weekends, I put my FootJoy Contour Casual shoes on in the morning at home. Wear them around to do errands or whatever, then go play golf.

When I get home after golf I change out of whichever shoes I wore to play because they're usually a bit dirty of sweaty by then.

I also keep an old pair of Ecco "real golf shoes" in my locker to wear just in case I end up at the golf course without already having on suitable shoes.

The reasons I don't have to distinguish between shoes I can play golf in and shoes I can live the rest of my life in are A) no spikes (hate 'em) and B) no white and black saddle shoes that look like what a 14-year-old girl would wear in a 60's high school movie.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1337631568' post='4952640']
[quote name='crapula' timestamp='1337631183' post='4952584']

[/quote]

Not at any of the public links I play....

cargo shorts MAYBE
[/quote]

If those things are true, you are at a public course. (there may be some exceptions- if you are the owner of a private course, you mow the grass at a private course)

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

idk what the big problem is with cargo shorts. I mean, I get that their not as dressy but in my experience, cargo shorts are typically a little longer. All I know is: the less of your thigh I have to see and the less of my thigh you have to see, the better. the much better

Ping I20 10.5* and 16.5*
Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, plus 1/2"
Cleveland 52* and 58*
Coutour Tri-Fit, Gullane, 350g
Bridgestone B-330S

Other than being ugly, baggy and looking like something you'd wear to mow grass I supposed cargo shorts are fine. As a big, fat, somewhat lumpy and sagging looking individual I basically won't be caught dead in any clothing that makes me look even moreso. Even if losing 40 pounds is too much trouble, it's not to wear clothes (including shorts) that actually fit instead of bag and flop...

You know you are playing at a public course when you see hacks rolling their push carts across the green.

[/quote]

They allow you to take carts across the greens at Bandon Dunes, but since those are public courses, your statement is correct !

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1337632005' post='4952694']
I have a pair of FootJoy Contour "shop" shoes. If I'm going to take off work early to play golf I wear those to work then straight to the golf course without changing. I also play golf in the same (golf) shirt and slacks I wore to work.

On weekends, I put my FootJoy Contour Casual shoes on in the morning at home. Wear them around to do errands or whatever, then go play golf.

When I get home after golf I change out of whichever shoes I wore to play because they're usually a bit dirty of sweaty by then.

I also keep an old pair of Ecco "real golf shoes" in my locker to wear just in case I end up at the golf course without already having on suitable shoes.

The reasons I don't have to distinguish between shoes I can play golf in and shoes I can live the rest of my life in are A) no spikes (hate 'em) and B) no white and black saddle shoes that look like what a 14-year-old girl would wear in a 60's high school movie.
[/quote]

Makes sense... maybe it's just my unfortunate circumstance of having a job that requires jeans and work boots. Golfing in work boots sucks.

Personally, I grew up a public golf guy. In fact, I still play more public golf than private. However, I play both the local munis (anyone know Maple Moor GC?) as well as some of the nicest clubs in Westchester county. For those of you who don't know, we have some darned nice courses? Westchester cc is incredible and littered with money. (I once convinced my friend we use solid gold tees there because they lower spin) And yes, when on thursday you play Sleepy Hollow CC and maple moor on saturday, the conditions and playing partners tend to be a let down. But, I have also met some of the nicest people on public golf courses. Sure there is the guy who says "Das was up!" when I hit a good drive, but there are also some wonderful people. (I especially love the little old japanese ladies who are amazingly impressed when you hit a drive 270. Then I say, I'm the short hitter of my friends)
I will say though, you know you are at a public course when the marshall says "I'll take you out to three. They said this is the fastest cart." He floors it and it moves about 4mph. To which I respond "slow down there speed racer and we chuckle and have a nice conversation and relax. The people there do seem more down to earth and less demanding. While I like the people though, I certainly would not choose a muni over winged foot.
You also know you are on a public course when two guys in your own group pick up your ball. Or when the bunkers look as though they should apply for federal disaster relief funds.