2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most Underwhelming Tour course you have played?

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1339538446' post='5079270']
[quote name='Flop_Shot' timestamp='1339518254' post='5075922']
I want to stand up for Scottsdale! I thought the layout was alot of fun, especially the finish. I can vividly remember many of the decisions I had to make on that course, from years ago. I'm really surprised people are hating on it so much. I'm curious if some of the people complaining about it played from middle/forward tees.
[/quote]

Nope, from the tips.

Also, I ve only played the champions course once, but I found it way more enjoyable than the stadium. Plus it helps that you can walk it for like 50 peak season.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I'll be honest, I played for free. It was a beautiful afternoon, we had the course to ourselves, and it was a great best ball match that came down to 18, with all 4 of us playing really well. It probably would've been a great afternoon on any course in that situation.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dpark' timestamp='1339559107' post='5082032']
Until April of this year, the most overrated PGA tour course I played was the Blue Monster, but now Kiawah Ocean is the top of the list.

At nearly $400 it is way overpriced and just another example of Pete Dye's massive ego for building ridiculous golf courses.
[/quote]

really? the ocean course? paying $400 is your own fault. if you can handle 36 holes, play one of the other courses (i like osprey) in the morning and then the ocean course in the afternoon as a replay rate. cuts it in half. you then end up paying less that $400 for two courses (which is still ridiculous amount to spend for golf).

personally, i love the course. it's a course you really need to think about your second shot before you even tee off. you can't just walk up to the tee box and grip it and rip it. plus, the view of fairway/hole is very misleading from the tee box. i love the thought of this course

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='golfernut78' timestamp='1339600439' post='5084348']
Until April of this year, the most overrated PGA tour course I played was the Blue Monster, but now Kiawah Ocean is the top of the list.

At nearly $400 it is way overpriced and just another example of Pete Dye's massive ego for building ridiculous golf courses.
[/quote]

really? the ocean course? paying $400 is your own fault. if you can handle 36 holes, play one of the other courses (i like osprey) in the morning and then the ocean course in the afternoon as a replay rate. cuts it in half. you then end up paying less that $400 for two courses (which is still ridiculous amount to spend for golf).

personally, i love the course. it's a course you really need to think about your second shot before you even tee off. you can't just walk up to the tee box and grip it and rip it. plus, the view of fairway/hole is very misleading from the tee box. i love the thought of this course
[/quote]

I did the replay deal as well and played Osprey that morning. I really enjoyed the Ocean Course, though I'd give up golf if I had to play it every day. I feel the same about every Pete Dye golf course I've played. They are alot of fun in a unique way, but not something I'd ever describe as a desirable golf course.

The Ocean Couse was a cool experience. I was around a 6 index at the time and had shot in the mid 70's that morning at Osprey, though not from the tips. We hadn't booked to play the Ocean Course (I didn't plan the trip, long story) but went out there for lunch. A group cancelled and I couldn't get any of my guys to play another 18, so I played it by myself. It was very slow being the only single wedged between a bunch of foursomes, but being alone and having hit the ball so well that morning, I decided to play the tips.

Won't give a shot-by-shot, but it was easily the hardest course I've ever played. Shot 91 and felt like I hit the ball better that round than I had in the morning. Winds really picked up and I remember hitting driver-3wood and not getting to some par 4's.

It was a cool experience, but I don't know that I care about playing it again.

[quote name='CowtownTexas' timestamp='1339604591' post='5084814']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I did the replay deal as well and played Osprey that morning. I really enjoyed the Ocean Course, though I'd give up golf if I had to play it every day. I feel the same about every Pete Dye golf course I've played. They are alot of fun in a unique way, but not something I'd ever describe as a desirable golf course.

The Ocean Couse was a cool experience. I was around a 6 index at the time and had shot in the mid 70's that morning at Osprey, though not from the tips. We hadn't booked to play the Ocean Course (I didn't plan the trip, long story) but went out there for lunch. A group cancelled and I couldn't get any of my guys to play another 18, so I played it by myself. It was very slow being the only single wedged between a bunch of foursomes, but being alone and having hit the ball so well that morning, I decided to play the tips.

Won't give a shot-by-shot, but it was easily the hardest course I've ever played. Shot 91 and felt like I hit the ball better that round than I had in the morning. Winds really picked up and I remember hitting driver-3wood and not getting to some par 4's.

[/quote]

i played it from the dye tees the last few times i played it, which i imagine would make it significantly more enjoyable than the tips.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='bvmagic' timestamp='1339129828' post='5051142']
Blue Monster. I was able to get on for much less than what they are asking so it didn't bother me nearly as much. But I couldn't imagine dropping 300 to play that course. It was in great condition when I went but other than the 18th, I felt like the course was not all that difficult or picturesque.
[/quote]

Doral by far, I can name 10 courses in FL that blow it out of the water.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The ocean course is awesome...not sure how anyone would put it down here. The problem is almost everyone, including the guy who shot 91 play it from the incorrect tees. If there happens to be a rare day with no wind, fine play it back. But most players should be playing the Dye tees, or even the ones up from that. They would then be playing the course as it should be played.

[quote name='LagunaLove' timestamp='1339129567' post='5051132']
I think a lot of us have been very excited to play a golf course the Tour has played and left a little underwhelmed. Or not and maybe it's me. But I've been fortunate enough to play a lot of the Tour golf courses on the West Coast and was absolutely underwhelmed by TPC Summerlin. I didn't really think it was all that great of a golf course at all, kind of just a lot of blah. The experience was good and they had a good service staff, but the golf course is just okay with some really good holes and a lot of mediocre holes and the clubhouse is rather bland and boring.

So, let's hear them. What are yours?
[/quote]

Is your question about "price VS enjoyment"? Or whether the course is a good test of golf, regardless of price?

I wasn't saying that I thought the Ocean Course was overrated, I was saying that I don't really like that style of course. However, I am glad I played there and did enjoy it. I agree with you about playing the appropriate tees, but there was a reason I had chosen to play the tips. We had been there for three days and I had been playing with my father-in-law every round. He had paid for the trip and wanted us all playing from the same tees, so I couldn't really argue. By the time I got to the Ocean Course, I wanted a challenge and definitely got one. I really did enjoy the course, though it's not the type of course I'd want to play daily.

Being a member at a course that hosts a Tour event, I get alot of guests who make the statement "I want to play from where the pro's play". In most cases, my response to them is "you'll have alot more fun playing from where they hit their second shot than you will from that back tee box". Unless it's a very good player, I make them move up.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1339645022' post='5089268']
[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1339249018' post='5057154']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1339198775' post='5055110']
Cog Hill - just doesn't do it for me.
[/quote] yes Cog Hill was an extreme let down.
[/quote]

Ditto
[/quote]

Honest question on this - why is Cog Hill such a let down? I've lived in Chicago for 10 years and I always hear mixed reviews. I've played the other courses at Cog and thought they were fine. At least fairly priced. I'll admit, I've never played Dubs because I have a hard time shelling out anything over $100 in the Chicagoland area. I'm just naturally curious about the mixed reviews.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1339678597' post='5090766']
I think a lot of us have been very excited to play a golf course the Tour has played and left a little underwhelmed. Or not and maybe it's me. But I've been fortunate enough to play a lot of the Tour golf courses on the West Coast and was absolutely underwhelmed by TPC Summerlin. I didn't really think it was all that great of a golf course at all, kind of just a lot of blah. The experience was good and they had a good service staff, but the golf course is just okay with some really good holes and a lot of mediocre holes and the clubhouse is rather bland and boring.

[/quote]

Is your question about "price VS enjoyment"? Or whether the course is a good test of golf, regardless of price?
[/quote]

It can be whatever you feel. Whether it was prestige vs. enjoyment, price vs. enjoyment or just a good test of golf. I think a lot of times we hear so much about these golf courses on Tour and we finally play some of them and then we feel just disappointed. Though, we can all admit, sometimes the Tour certainly doesn't play the best golf course in town.

[quote name='golfernut78' timestamp='1339184259' post='5054112']
tpc woodlands - woodlands, texas (where the shell houston open use to be). for a tpc i didn't see what the big fuss was, and i played it for $85 on a saturday. it has since gone private but just didn't get it.

[/quote]

It has not been called TPC Woodlands, or been public in like 10 years.

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1339213042' post='5056228']
A good way to tell that you'll be underwhelmed is when the course name has TPC stuck in front of it.
[/quote]

Agreed. Wife got me a round at TPC Louisiana for Christmas and I was really excited to play there. Maybe I had too much anticipation but it was a HUGE letdown.

[quote name='LagunaLove' timestamp='1339827217' post='5105942']
[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1339678597' post='5090766']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It can be whatever you feel. Whether it was prestige vs. enjoyment, price vs. enjoyment or just a good test of golf. I think a lot of times we hear so much about these golf courses on Tour and we finally play some of them and then we feel just disappointed. Though, we can all admit, sometimes the Tour certainly doesn't play the best golf course in town.
[/quote]

My 2 cents:

I'm a 9 handicap - so my game simply isn't "tour level" anyways. Even if we played a local flat muni - the pros games simply too different.

Pros don't always play the best courses in the area...to think so is sort of foolish. Sort of like seeing Jennifer Aniston at Wolfgang Puck's (I think that's a nice place?) - but then also seeing her at Five Guys for a hamburger too. She classes up the joint, but the joint itself isn't always fancy. :)

Same for golf. For me - the amount of "whelming" that I experience is based on more than just the course - it's the overall experience of service, people, weather, and how I play. But so much more than just the grass and greens. YMMV. :)

Most underwhelming course for me - any course where I have to wait. But it could also be my most memorable too. :) Played a 3 day interclub tournament at Summerlin and Las Vegas - lots of fun and good experience but we were flighted and we almost won - so I thought the experience was great.

Recently played 3 days at Pebble - 7 good golfer + me (not good) - 5 rounds from the tips; walked with caddies; no families just us guys; Spanish Bay (loved it), 3 rounds at Pebble (awesome).....and my most "underwhelming round" has to go to Spyglass. :( It's not the course - it's me. I was tired, it felt like it was all uphill, and I couldn't hit the ball....so I quit after 9. :)

I love the remake of Cog Hill now. The course is so much better then it used to be. I played it 2 days after the fedex came through (155.00 was the cost). Same cost all year and the course was PERFECT, I mean PERFECT. The fairways were soft due to the rain sunday and monday but everything else was great. Other course over hyped is going to be Conway Farms in Lake Forest IL they are going to move the fedex there next year. Also Erin Hills will be on the list for the 2017 us open.

[quote name='Northside Matt' timestamp='1339697191' post='5093110']

Honest question on this - why is Cog Hill such a let down? I've lived in Chicago for 10 years and I always hear mixed reviews. I've played the other courses at Cog and thought they were fine. At least fairly priced. I'll admit, I've never played Dubs because I have a hard time shelling out anything over $100 in the Chicagoland area. I'm just naturally curious about the mixed reviews.
[/quote]

It's been about 7 years since I played Dub's, it so maybe it's been changed since then. I just think that it's a very typical midwestern parkland course. Nothing special or particularly memorable about it, especially for the price. Conditioning when I played it was also no better than many courses that I can play within a 30 min. drive for half the cost. But maybe I'm just spoiled living in Michigan where courses like Dub's are everywhere.

I just played Arcadia Bluff's a week ago - now that is a spectacular course that should be hosting something!

Funny you should say that, I've played a course in north Fort Worth/Dallas, right next to the Texas Motor Speedway, that used to be called the Doral Tesoro, but is now called Champions Circle (because of the Texas Motor Speedway across the street).

One time we went to play and it was raining, so we talked a bit with the starter who said it was built to complement the adjoining hotel (was the Doral, but is now the Marriott) and that Greg Norman was the golf course architect.... but that he made the course so difficult, that not even the local pro's would bother to play it. He said most people played it once and would never come back. So when it went under, Marriott took the hotel and brought in some company to manage the course and they brought in another golf architect to re-do, dummy-down, the course to where it was more player-friendly. I like it because they overseed in the winter and gives a place with nice green rye grass to play instead of dormant Bermuda and they have many deals on ezlinks.com.

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1340332880' post='5146128']
[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1340280689' post='5140908']
Well, not exactly a PGA tour course but Tiburon Black in Naples, where the Shark Shootout is held, is a gawdafwful course.
[/quote]

LOL, Poor Greg, still finding his way as a golf course architect.
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1339677066' post='5090664']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The ocean course is awesome...not sure how anyone would put it down here. The problem is almost everyone, including the guy who shot 91 play it from the incorrect tees. If there happens to be a rare day with no wind, fine play it back. But most players should be playing the Dye tees, or even the ones up from that. They would then be playing the course as it should be played.
[/quote]

Pretty easy to put the course down because it simply isn't an enjoyable course. Period. We played it from the Dye tees and I played fine, but the course simply isn't fun. Dye makes stupid courses: Whistling Straits, PGA West, the list goes on and on... I don't care how highly rated his courses are, they just aren't playable on a daily basis, regardless of the tees. His courses aren't classic, they are just stupid tough. If you like that, go for it. But don't even put a Dye course in the same category of a Ross, MacKenzie or Tillinghast.

And as for the wiseguy wondering why we played $400 for the course, it was because we didn't have an option to play 36 since we needed to drive to Augusta that evening to see the Masters the next day. But even for $200, it would be an overpriced, underwhelming course. Would rather pay $195 to play Spyglass every day of the week (Duke's card rate).

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1340399107' post='5151002']
[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1340332880' post='5146128']
[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1340280689' post='5140908']
Well, not exactly a PGA tour course but Tiburon Black in Naples, where the Shark Shootout is held, is a gawdafwful course.
[/quote]

LOL, Poor Greg, still finding his way as a golf course architect.
[/quote]

Funny you should say that, I've played a course in north Fort Worth/Dallas, right next to the Texas Motor Speedway, that used to be called the Doral Tesoro, but is now called Champions Circle (because of the Texas Motor Speedway across the street).

One time we went to play and it was raining, so we talked a bit with the starter who said it was built to complement the adjoining hotel (was the Doral, but is now the Marriott) and that Greg Norman was the golf course architect.... but that he made the course so difficult, that not even the local pro's would bother to play it. He said most people played it once and would never come back. So when it went under, Marriott took the hotel and brought in some company to manage the course and they brought in another golf architect to re-do, dummy-down, the course to where it was more player-friendly.
[/quote]

Pretty much the same thing for Norman's only course in Arizona except it never even made it to opening. It was completely turfed in then the property changed hands and the new owner had the course completely bulldozed and rebuilt by another architect.