2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most Underwhelming Tour course you have played?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1339205139' post='5055572']
I will agree on Pebble Beach. It is a play once course but it is so repetitive and honestly boring. Sure it has a few great holes but I love spyglass so much more.
[/quote]

I agree 100%- Spyglass is much more difficult, more of true test, and more enjoyable. (With a Duke's Card it's also $300 cheaper)

For those who haven't had the chance to play Pebble, I understand that doing so probably sits on the top of your "places to play" bucket list. Its history, cost, exclusivity. and the way it's marketed make it hard to not to do so. However 95% of the people I know who have played it would say the say the same thing when asked, "It's a nice course but I don't think I'd pay to play it again".

To stay on topic ... As a PGA Tour course, I was underwhelmed by it because I think it's more about the experience than it is the golf. If one can ignore trying to post a personal best and simply focus on enjoying the environment it's a fantastic day - the course is always in great shape and the experience is something any golfer will appreciate (early morning tee times, friendly starter greetings, cliff top views of the ocean, amazing caddies, cold beers & stories at the Tap Room, etc should bring smiles to anyone's face who has experienced it). I'd stay/play again but not on my own dime (Luckily, I've been able to do so 5 times on the company's).

To be fair - The PGA courses I've liked 1) Ritz Carlton Plantation - Maui 2) Riveria CC 3) Olympic Club 4) Medina CC

[size=6][sub]Glen Abbey in Oakville Ontario. Once the perenial home of The Canadian Open.[/sub][/size]
[size=6][sub]Played it several times and still can't see what all the hype is about. My own little home course is more challenging. [/sub][/size]

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='HitTheStick' timestamp='1339198221' post='5055078']
I play Magnolia at Disney quite often, and while it's a good course, there isn't much to write home about in my opinion...
[/quote]

Played the Palm course last week (Magnolia was closed that day), greens were in horrible shape, looked like the pins had been it the same place for a week, brown and littered with spike marks, no true roll on a putt. Other than that it was nice, but not what i'd expect from my first time on a PGA course.

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1339267066' post='5058070']
I will agree on Pebble Beach. It is a play once course but it is so repetitive and honestly boring. Sure it has a few great holes but I love spyglass so much more.
[/quote]

Wtf?
[/quote]

I agree with you here. Maybe I'm missing something or just haven't played that many nice courses but I did not find Pebble overrated even for the price I paid. I think the experience you have is every bit as important as the golf course and Pebble has that down to a science. Add in the fact that the course, for me, was fun and challenging I don't know what else you need to make it not overrated.

[quote name='jliehr' timestamp='1339273777' post='5058498']
[quote name='HitTheStick' timestamp='1339198221' post='5055078']
I play Magnolia at Disney quite often, and while it's a good course, there isn't much to write home about in my opinion...
[/quote]

Played the Palm course last week (Magnolia was closed that day), greens were in horrible shape, looked like the pins had been it the same place for a week, brown and littered with spike marks, no true roll on a putt. Other than that it was nice, but not what i'd expect from my first time on a PGA course.
[/quote]

It may have been true that the flag hadn't been moved. They closed Mag and LBV for a week and a half making some slight changes and aerating. Usually Palm suffers a bit when they close Mag for aeration. Palm and Osprey are closing for the normal 7 days this month.

The Bayou Club, Largo, FL
Lots of TMade clubs and an old SC putter

[quote name='ochowie' timestamp='1339276605' post='5058628']
[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1339267066' post='5058070']
[/quote]

Wtf?
[/quote]

I agree with you here. Maybe I'm missing something or just haven't played that many nice courses but I did not find Pebble overrated even for the price I paid. I think the experience you have is every bit as important as the golf course and Pebble has that down to a science. Add in the fact that the course, for me, was fun and challenging I don't know what else you need to make it not overrated.
[/quote]

Pebble is great and I'd absolutely love to play there again, but I'd much rather play Spyglass everyday than Pebble, much better golf course, just not as pretty.

[quote name='LagunaLove' timestamp='1339343826' post='5061628']

Pebble is great and I'd absolutely love to play there again, but I'd much rather play Spyglass everyday than Pebble, much better golf course, just not as pretty.
[/quote]
I would agree here, Pebble has a very special place in my heart. I grew up in the Bay Area and have been down there countless times. I have been on the grounds for 2 US Opens and numerous other times and always have drinks in the Tap Room post round anywhere in the area. There is just something great about being on the grounds. However I was given the choice many years ago to play any course up there for my 21st birthday and I choose Spyglass Hill over Pebble and to this day it has always been the round I will remember the most. I will eventually get back up and play Pebble but when I do you can bet Spyglass will be part of that trip.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Siper11' timestamp='1339270167' post='5058262']
[/quote]

I agree 100%- Spyglass is much more difficult, more of true test, and more enjoyable. (With a Duke's Card it's also $300 cheaper)

For those who haven't had the chance to play Pebble, I understand that doing so probably sits on the top of your "places to play" bucket list. Its history, cost, exclusivity. and the way it's marketed make it hard to not to do so. However 95% of the people I know who have played it would say the say the same thing when asked, "It's a nice course but I don't think I'd pay to play it again".

To stay on topic ... As a PGA Tour course, I was underwhelmed by it because I think it's more about the experience than it is the golf. If one can ignore trying to post a personal best and simply focus on enjoying the environment it's a fantastic day - the course is always in great shape and the experience is something any golfer will appreciate (early morning tee times, friendly starter greetings, cliff top views of the ocean, amazing caddies, cold beers & stories at the Tap Room, etc should bring smiles to anyone's face who has experienced it). I'd stay/play again but not on my own dime (Luckily, I've been able to do so 5 times on the company's).

To be fair - The PGA courses I've liked 1) Ritz Carlton Plantation - Maui 2) Riveria CC 3) Olympic Club 4) Medina CC
[/quote] I agree. Having walked P B at a tournement as a spectator and played it the day after the tournement. The ocean holes are beautiful but there are too many houses that look ...like motuaries surrounding the course...imho.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[size=4]TPC [/size][size=4][color="#000000"]Louisiana[/color][/size][size=4] for me[/size]. Very poor condtion and over priced. It was July of last year, so I am sure weather had something to do with it, but extremely disappointed. Would never play it again at that price. On the flip side, Pinehurst #2 and Firestone are the best I have played.

Titleist TSr3 10*(-.75*) Ventus Blue+ 5

Callaway Paradym TD 18* (-2*) Ventus Blue+ 7

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke TD 20* GD Tour VF 7

Titleist T350 4 Iron KBS $-Taper Onyx

Titleist T200 (23') 5-PW KBS $-Taper

Vokey SM9 W.W. RAW 48F/54M/58V KBS $-Taper Onyx  

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K #7 CH

The finishing four at TPC Scottsdale are fun...the drive over water from the tips on eighteen is good, and
the drivable par 4 seventeenth is fun, and, then the sixteenth, where if you close your eyes you can feel
the stadium buzzing around you - or is it the cicada's? The 15th is a classic risk / reward par 5 where you
can dunk your second in the water, but also find glory if you can place your drive in the right spot...

There are a few holes beforehand which aren't bad, either...really, it's the green fees that kind of put this
one on everyone's list as a downer. Plus the Champions course next door sucks, sucked when it was called
something else, and will suck when it's re-named again...

[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1339344380' post='5061658']
I have to agree with TPC Scottsdale, other than 16,17,18, the course is very forgettable. I wish they would leave the stands up around 16 full time, that would make it much more fun.
[/quote]That stretch makes up for it in my mind. TPC champions course was just horrid, I paid 100 in August, the same as stadium, for worse service and no swag plus the course sucked. Never play there.

I want to stand up for Scottsdale! I thought the layout was alot of fun, especially the finish. I can vividly remember many of the decisions I had to make on that course, from years ago. I'm really surprised people are hating on it so much. I'm curious if some of the people complaining about it played from middle/forward tees.

Mine was TPC Sawgrass. It was about one month before the tournament...and they would not let us play the back tees.

16, 17 and 18 were pretty cool...but all the other holes...especially from the shorter tees....are just average. Definitely not worth $250 in my book.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

[quote name='Flop_Shot' timestamp='1339518254' post='5075922']
I want to stand up for Scottsdale! I thought the layout was alot of fun, especially the finish. I can vividly remember many of the decisions I had to make on that course, from years ago. I'm really surprised people are hating on it so much. I'm curious if some of the people complaining about it played from middle/forward tees.
[/quote]

Nope, from the tips.

Also, I ve only played the champions course once, but I found it way more enjoyable than the stadium. Plus it helps that you can walk it for like 50 peak season.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

In my argument against Scottsdale, I'd like to say that it's not only the less than stunning layout, but the price point is just stupid high, and the overall quality of golf there is just not worth it when you look at all of the other MUCH better options that Scottsdale and its surrounding areas offer. When charging $200+ for 18 holes, if you're gonna pay that much, then the course better damn well be more than just 3 cool holes.

And whoever paid $100 for Arizona golf in August, that's your own fault haha, you got robbed! Hell they have a deal where you can play both for 99 with lunch.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Until April of this year, the most overrated PGA tour course I played was the Blue Monster, but now Kiawah Ocean is the top of the list.

At nearly $400 it is way overpriced and just another example of Pete Dye's massive ego for building ridiculous golf courses.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='poizster' timestamp='1339550877' post='5080936']
I agree with almost everyone thus far, TPC Scottsdale is not worth the price, I was underwhelmed by TPC Sawgrass, Doral, PGA West Stadium, Dove Mountain, and I might catch some heat but I wouldn't pay to play Pinehurst number 2, Pebble Beach, or Whistling Straights again.
[/quote]

I liked Whistling, but the River Course at Blackwolf Run is my favorite of any in Kohler. I'd love to go play Erin Hills again, played it the week after it opened, but there's been so many changes since then...

[quote name='CowtownTexas' timestamp='1339134885' post='5051342']
La Costa. Granted, they use a combo of two courses to make the tournament course but I played them both before I left. Found it very, very average.

TPC Las Colinas is a bad course as well, but I was expecting that before I ever teed off.
[/quote]

I completely agree with La Costa --- wow is that boring and awful, even after their recent update. Not only is the course dreadful, you have to carry your bag a mile and then through a shopping area and then through the pro shop to reach the carts. Horrible!!!

I'd rather play Camp Pendleton golf course for $20 than this nasty goat patch!

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I was underwhelmed at the Westin La Contera in San Antonio where they used to play the PGA Valero Texas Open. It was the 'Resort' course that also had another, more challenging Arnold Palmer course which I was told plays about 5 shots harder. When I asked, then why don't they play the PGA tournament at that course, they said it wasn't spectator-friendly. But I found that I was able to play the resort course, without having played it before at only about 5 over my normal stroke average (which wasn't bad for me....perhaps that's why I liked it, lol). One cool hole on the resort course was one hole that had tee boxes on a 100-ft quarry cliff on a short par-4. From that height the green is reachable but there was water to the right, up to the green. What was also 'interesting' was the Six Flaggs roller coaster was immediately behind the green and I could only imagine what it would be like during the tournament, you're on the tee box, and you see this roller coaster going up and down behind the green. It was a fun course for me, but it didn't seem like it was a 'PGA caliber course'.

3496279358_e9f00f2ce3_z.jpg

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

[/quote]

Pebble-6 of the greatest holes in the world, 6 really good holes, 6 very average holes all wrapped up in a really pretty package on one of the most famous courses in the world. The ambiance is unbelievable, but I really don't get the repetitive comment. But honestly I don't know how you would say it is underwhelming, maybe for the price???? However I will agree Sypglass is one really-really good hole after another.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I was underwhelmed at the Westin La Contera in San Antonio where they used to play the PGA Valero Texas Open. It was the 'Resort' course that also had another, more challenging Arnold Palmer course which I was told plays about 5 shots harder. When I asked, then why don't they play the PGA tournament at that course, they said it wasn't spectator-friendly. But I found that I was able to play the resort course, without having played it before at only about 5 over my normal stroke average (which wasn't bad for me....perhaps that's why I liked it, lol). One cool hole on the resort course was one hole that had tee boxes on a 100-ft quarry cliff on a short par-4. From that height the green is reachable but there was water to the right, up to the green. What was also 'interesting' was the Six Flaggs roller coaster was immediately behind the green and I could only imagine what it would be like during the tournament, you're on the tee box, and you see this roller coaster going up and down behind the green. It was a fun course for me, but it didn't seem like it was a 'PGA caliber course'.

3496279358_e9f00f2ce3_z.jpg

That is REALLY fun.