2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Worst Cheating Incident you've ever witnessed

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1340769262' post='5175204']
I play with a couple guys who use the "I could have made that one" putt-scoring technique.

Meaning... if you miss a 4 or maybe 5 foot putt... that miss doesn't really count. "I could have made that one." Let's just pretend I did and count the score that way.

Haha... cracks me up. Especially when they do it 5 or 6 times during the round and then brag about their score later. Coincidentally, these are also the same guys who rarely count a penalty stroke. Whatever though, it's just a friendly game. No big deal.
[/quote]

Oh my god I play with this ****** who does that all the time!!! he likes to go up to 10footers, hit them one handed through the legs and go "well obviously I was kidding I would have made that." I want to punch him in the face! one time his ball was just in a water hazard and I said "well you can play it if you like or drop and he says "I'll just play." barely grazes the surface of the water and doesn't get the ball anywhere then says well I'll just take the drop. "Ok so this is your 5th shot" I say and he goes "what? it's my 3rd. are you really gonna call me on that i mean i wasn't actually playing my shot there." I just let it go because there were other people there who were my good friends and we were having fun which I didn't want to ruin by calling him out and starting a fight. What was the most bothersome is he had no argument at all seeing as he declared to everyone there that he was playing his 3rd from the hazard. Then gave himself a free "drop" tossing the ball into the fairway (if I was really gonna stickle him his drop was closer to the hole). I just can't stand that stuff.

I've seen pretty much everything everyone has mentioned. It is why I only play for money with people I know, or someone in the group knows. I could care less what someone does for their own scorecard, if they want to tell people they shot 72, then be my guest. But the most outright despicable offense happened in Jr. Golf (can't believe that was ~10 years ago, I'm old). I don't recall those tournaments being riddled with kids outright cheating, but this one has always stuck out in my mind. I was 16 and the event was a qualifier round to get into a championship division. For the 15-17 age group there was a 'regular' division and 'championship' division for the better golfers. 4 of us were playing, we would just swap cards with each other so I was marking for the same guy who was marking for me. We were on 15 and both a few over par, likely close to where the cut line for qualifying would be. The kid who I'm marking for comes up to me as we're walking down the fairway together and straight up asks me if I would be OK taking a few shots of his score, and he would do the same for me so that we could both qualify. I just told him that I was good, if I make it I make it. I ended up beating him by a couple on the last few holes and qualified, he did not. Thinking back I probably should have reported it, but I was still pretty young and what goes around comes around.

[quote name='snpcrk121' timestamp='1342413160' post='5283374']
4 of us were playing, we would just swap cards with each other so I was marking for the same guy who was marking for me.
[/quote]

May be you should have passed the cards around instead of swapping them...

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='QEight' timestamp='1342428987' post='5283822']
[quote name='snpcrk121' timestamp='1342413160' post='5283374']
4 of us were playing, we would just swap cards with each other so I was marking for the same guy who was marking for me.
[/quote]

May be you should have passed the cards around instead of swapping them...
[/quote]
Yes, but this was what we did nearly every tournament...honestly I didn't know any better back than and thought the best of people. Always passed in a circle after this.

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1340727106' post='5170456']
The worst case of cheating I ever witnessed was at Stoke Poges Golf Club in 1964. A rather portly businessman had hit his ball in to the left rough, and his Korean, bowler hat wearing caddy rolled a ball down his trouser leg. The other player, a Scotsman knew he had cheated because he was standing on the original ball.

In the end the Scotsman won through. However, the Korean caddy was furious, and went on a statue decapitating and ball crushing rampage.
[/quote]

good one 007!

Played a big money 2 man scramble and an opponent in my group used his partners driver all day and they each had 14 clubs.

In a pro qualifying round I was paired with a guy that teed off on #1 with a Titleist Prov1 with blue dots and ended up 2 holes later on the green with a Talyormade TP5 with orange dots. I guess the 1 ball rule didnt apply to him.

Everybody has had to play with a stroke shaver or a ball dropper at some point, if not you are a lucky one

S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink) Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x) 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex) 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour) 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper) PING Redwood black satin D66

[quote name='DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan' timestamp='1342665295' post='5305058']
Played a big money 2 man scramble and an opponent in my group used his partners driver all day and they each had 14 clubs.
[/quote]

Why would someone play big money scramble? Why not play fourball or foursome, then RoG could be applied?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1340743464' post='5172602']
Sadly, I could fill a whole thread but 2 stand out the most

1. Notorius cheater hits a white titleist balata with his name " doodles" on the ball into a thick forest with under brush.. Comes out with a orange kroflight. I realize I just dated myself but this one really stood out. I was a teenager in one of my first city events and I just looked at him sideways thinking " is this idiot kidding here or what?" He wasn't kidding. I told the committee and at first they didn't believe me. Why would they, it was so stupid they thought I was kidding. When they confronted him, he said, " I didn't want to play tomorrow anyway and quietly left. The next event he was back like nothing ever happened. Weird.

2 One of our buddies always "finds" his ball in a nice lie on the edge of the trees right after he hit it deep into the under growth. So one time I found his ball and put it in my pocket to see what he would do. He "found" his ball 60 yards up in a perfect lie with no branches blocking his swing. I said " is that really your ball? I mean I thought it went in way back here somewhere..." " must have got a good bounce."

Another time I parked the cart on his ball in the rough and he found it 90 yards ahead of where I was parked. He marks his ball with one of those plastic half moons that leave red lines all over his pro v's so there no mistaking his ball. I can identify it from 25 yards away.

Trouble is if I actually call him on it, that will be the end of us being golf buddies. what do you do?
[/quote]

When I started, I played with a guy who simply wasn't happy if he wasn't "moving the ball away from roots", miraculously "finding" his call against all odds, taking self gimmes from a county away, applying "new math" to his scores, liberal use of foot and hand wedges, taking more mulligans than Mulligan himself ever did, etc. etc. etc. Then he'd crow afterwards about how even though he and I had started at the same time, and I took lessons and practiced all the time (he did neither), that he was [u]still[/u] beating me.

As time went on, no matter what tricks he tried to pull he couldn't win with any credibility at all. It got to the point that people simply ignored him or flat out laughed when he announced his score.

He's moved away now. Among our group of golfers his name has become synonomous with any form of possible misapplication of the rules or not playing the ball down in any way. All of us would rather not play than be referred to as a [this guys name], so ultimately it had a positive effect!

When the day comes, his tombstone should read: "[b]Here Lies [Name] -- In the first unplayable he couldn't cheat his way out of.[/b]."

[quote name='QEight' timestamp='1342704079' post='5307678']
[quote name='DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan' timestamp='1342665295' post='5305058']
[/quote]

Why would someone play big money scramble? Why not play fourball or foursome, then RoG could be applied?
[/quote]
We play it every year... Also we play in 8 somes so there won't be any cheating. Rules are always a part of the game regardless of type of game

S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink) Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x) 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex) 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour) 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper) PING Redwood black satin D66

A bit ago I was playing with some co-workers, a few groups of guys. One guy in my group, who is a decent golfer, hit two balls OB. He then went up and dropped in the rough & played the hole out, and ended up taking a 5 on a par 4. Ironically, I was waiting for him to say he took a 6 or 7 (which still would have been cheating), but when he said "5" I nearly died because I made a 5. So when I putted out, I said I had a "1" making fun of him. He acknowledged that he cheated, but still told everyone he shot a score for 9 holes that was 4 or 5 strokes better than it was.

The stories in this thread are unbelievable by the way.

A couple months ago I was playing in a High School scramble tournament with 2 or 3 other schools, nothing too important. Teams were allowed to have their coaches come along with them. On about the 4th hole the other team hit their shot way left into the trees. As I'm hitting my shot I see the other team's coach drive up near the green. When we get to the green there is a ball about 10 feet the hole. Not sure how the ball got there so I can't really verified if the other team "cheated" or not, but I'm pretty sure they did.

The worst form of cheating for me is the better golfer who takes advantage of a less knowledgeable golfer around the rules. Many years ago I played in an important match and the guy I played against basically made up his handicap. He was about an 8 but told me he was a 12.

I know the guy and questioned him on the first tee about it, but he basically said, "yes, my handi has gone up quite a bit recently". As a relatively new golfer at that stage i had no idea about checking the GHIN system. He beat me on 18. I licked my wounds, congratulated him and on my way out of the club decided to check the GHIN list for members...yup, he was an 8.

I was going to let it go "in the spirit of the club" as some had suggested but when I brought it to the attention of the golf committee and the individual himself it was kinda like "gee, match is over and you guys agreed to handis on the first tee." Now I got angry. Found the USGA ruling and of course it says something to the affect that if you've concocted your handi, you're DQd the minute you tee off. Took weeks to get my "win" recorded and with suggestions from the guy I played to have a chip off or completely redo the round.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1343390041' post='5363238']
The worst form of cheating for me is the better golfer who takes advantage of a less knowledgeable golfer around the rules. Many years ago I played in an important match and the guy I played against basically made up his handicap. He was about an 8 but told me he was a 12.

I know the guy and questioned him on the first tee about it, but he basically said, "yes, my handi has gone up quite a bit recently". As a relatively new golfer at that stage i had no idea about checking the GHIN system. He beat me on 18. I licked my wounds, congratulated him and on my way out of the club decided to check the GHIN list for members...yup, he was an 8.

I was going to let it go "in the spirit of the club" as some had suggested but when I brought it to the attention of the golf committee and the individual himself it was kinda like "gee, match is over and you guys agreed to handis on the first tee." Now I got angry. Found the USGA ruling and of course it says something to the affect that if you've concocted your handi, you're DQd the minute you tee off. Took weeks to get my "win" recorded and with suggestions from the guy I played to have a chip off or completely redo the round.
[/quote]

I never heard of anyone doing that, especially in their own club, too easy to get caught. That guy who cheated and all those who suggested you let it go certainly weren't acting "in the spirit of golf".

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1343440446' post='5367496']
I dont get how bellly/long putters are cheating? If it was such an advantage then everyone would use it.
[/quote]

Whether it's an advantage or not is a completely different discussion. It's not cheating because it's not against any existing rule (yet).

I dont get how bellly/long putters are cheating? If it was such an advantage then everyone would use it.

Whether it's an advantage or not is a completely different discussion. It's not cheating because it's not against any existing rule (yet).

Don't feed the troll !!!

2048711.jpg

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1340744573' post='5172702']
[quote name='WildDog06' timestamp='1340728089' post='5170582']
The worst case of cheating I ever witnessed was at Stoke Poges Golf Club in 1964. A rather portly businessman had hit his ball in to the left rough, and his Korean, bowler hat wearing caddy rolled a ball down his trouser leg. The other player, a Scotsman knew he had cheated because he was standing on the original ball.

In the end the Scotsman won through. However, the Korean caddy was furious, and went on a statue decapitating and ball crushing rampage.
[/quote]

Caddying seems like an odd job for someone of that temperament.
[/quote]
Didn't that caddy really lose his head not too long after the incident you speak of?
[/quote]

Actually he got electrocuted,,,,, :swoon:

[/quote]

But didn't the Scotsman "get back" at the guy by swapping his ball without him knowing about it ? :tease:

The "Stan" at a club I was a member at, an old doctor. Down the 18th- par 5, ploughs his drive short and into the pine trees right. We walk up the fairway and as we pass his ball we can see it sitting on the pine needles about 20 feet into the tree line- its clear as day, there is no undergrowth the needles are dried out and yellow. These are tightly planted trees in rows like in a commercial forest. The only play is come out at 90 or 45 degrees.

Being Stan he his miles behind us, so we walk onto our balls. We turn around and Stan is playing his ball from about 6 feet inside the fairway. We think OK he chipped out and is playing three. We all eventually arrive at the green and low and behold our man tells us he is lying three on the fringe...

This one I did not let go... refusing to sign his card- because he either moved the ball or chipped out. Added bonus he went out of his way to avoid playing with me !!

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1343441543' post='5367588']
[/quote]

Such a weak argument ...
[/quote]
You really are a troll, aren't you? This is a thread about cheating and you come in here with your long putter nonsense? Must be getting too hot for you in the belly putter threads.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1343484739' post='5369012']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1343441543' post='5367588']
[/quote]

Such a weak argument ...
[/quote]
You really are a troll, aren't you? This is a thread about cheating and you come in here with your long putter nonsense? Must be getting too hot for you in the belly putter threads.
[/quote]

Quit stalking me.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1340744573' post='5172702']
[quote name='WildDog06' timestamp='1340728089' post='5170582']

[/quote]

Caddying seems like an odd job for someone of that temperament.
[/quote]
Didn't that caddy really lose his head not too long after the incident you speak of?
[/quote]

Actually, he came to a rather shocking end...

Titleist 915D3 9.5
Titleist AP3
Vokey SM8 52/56/60
Odyssey O Works Red #7

Played with some dope today who whenever he hit it into the woods or weeds, he would jump out of the cart and run to his ball while i or the other guy in our group lined up a shot. He had 2 or 3 deep into the woods and magically, the ball was always back in the rough and nicely propped up. He also had this little move every time he marked his putts where he moves the ball forward a couple inches and then another inch or two when he placed his ball. I mentioned something but he was basically like "what, huh, I don't know what youre talking about". Other guy in our group says the guy is notorious for cheating but didn't want to say anything.

I spent the day chasing after this guy and trying to catch him cheating vs being focused on my own game so basically I sucked!