2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Worst Cheating Incident you've ever witnessed

[quote name='Desert Golf' timestamp='1340776789' post='5175692']
You guys won't believe this one. It was 1999 in Phoenix and I witnessed a dozen guys out of the gallery move a HUGE boulder out of the way for a pro and they called it a "loose impediment". LOL
[/quote]Wasn't that done for Tiger a few years ago also?

[quote name='oldyaler' timestamp='1340803170' post='5176618']
You guys won't believe this one. It was 1999 in Phoenix and I witnessed a dozen guys out of the gallery move a HUGE boulder out of the way for a pro and they called it a "loose impediment". LOL
[/quote]

Wait, what?

;)

[quote name='whitemb' timestamp='1340806544' post='5176962']
[quote name='oldyaler' timestamp='1340803170' post='5176618']
[/quote]

Wait, what?

;)
[/quote]IIRC Tiger was playing a tournament somewhere in the southwest and one of his shots landed next to a large rock in a landscaped area that was made up of pebbles with larger stones scattered about. After a lengthy discussion with a marshal the rock was deemed a loose impediment and was moved by some members of the gallery allowing Tiger a clear shot. I guess it was ruled as a loose impediment because that area was man made and the large rocks were just layed on the pebbles. I'm not really familiar with the rules in a situation like this but it seemed strange to me. That rock had to weigh at least 500 lbs.

[/quote]

The 'pro' you are talking about was Tiger Woods in the Phoenix open in 1999 and yes, unless it's 'growing' it's a loose impediment according to golf rules...

To that extent, if you could you could move the great pyramid out of the way and call it loose impediment...

it's legal...

now back to finding that ball I lost just 5 yards right of the fairway... God, i hate golf rules.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lVCF8c5zk[/media]

9.5° Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5° Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17° Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53° and 59° 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

[quote name='Jarri' timestamp='1340812020' post='5177616']
[/quote]

The 'pro' you are talking about was Tiger Woods in the Phoenix open in 1999 and yes, unless it's 'growing' it's a loose impediment according to golf rules...

To that extent, if you could you could move the great pyramid out of the way and call it loose impediment...

it's legal...

now back to finding that ball I lost just 5 yards right of the fairway... God, i hate golf rules.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lVCF8c5zk[/media]
[/quote]Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking while watching this video what are the chances, if that had happened to anyone else, how many people would have jumped in to help? The people I play with would've shoved my ball further under that rock and then sat on it.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking while watching this video what are the chances, if that had happened to anyone else, how many people would have jumped in to help? The people I play with would've shoved my ball further under that rock and then sat on it.

Of course I was referring to Tiger...just didn't want to come off as a "hater" towards Woods ;)

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='oldyaler' timestamp='1340813244' post='5177736']
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking while watching this video what are the chances, if that had happened to anyone else, how many people would have jumped in to help? The people I play with would've shoved my ball further under that rock and then sat on it.
[/quote]
The difference is the people you play with bet against you, while the people from the gallery were probably betting on him.

[quote name='Desert Golf' timestamp='1340816674' post='5178142']

Of course I was referring to Tiger...just didn't want to come off as a "hater" towards Woods ;)
[/quote]Me neither.

[quote name='Veng' timestamp='1340816903' post='5178178']
[/quote]
The difference is the people you play with bet against you, while the people from the gallery were probably betting on him.
[/quote]True. They were just protecting their investment.

Back when I was about 18 or so I was playing a friendly game with a buddy of mine. We were playing at his course for five pounds. Not exactly earth shattering, but it was enough to make us pay attention at the time. We get to the 11th hole and I'm a couple up. He duffs his tee shot and it squirts into the woods on the right (par three). We're looking in the woods and he wanders off ahead a bit and comes back, so I wander down and there's a ball there. I said "hey man, there it is". He comes forward and says yep, that's mine, thanks. Plays it out, then as I'm walking up to the green I see another ball in the woods, exact same make and model as the one he was playing, so I pick it up and say to him, "hey there's another xxx ball here" (I forget what kind of ball it was).

I'm about 95% sure that he dropped the second ball and then walked back, because it was sitting up quite clearly where he'd been and he hadn't seen it. Then, he had the audacity to ask me if he could have the ball that I'd found back. Um, no you can't.

He was thrown out of his club a couple of years later for cheating. While his dad was captain of the club. Nasty business all told and his dad is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

[quote name='Desert Golf' timestamp='1340816674' post='5178142']

[/quote]
same here. See my post earlier in the thread about the ball landing in the parking lot in FRONT of the clubhouse and getting a free drop.

I guess sometimes when we try to be subtle or humuros it can go over some heads :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Actually, it was me. On holidays, our club has a member scramble for fun. Last year on the Fourth of July, American flags had been put on the tees for decoration. As team captain, I thought they were tee markers, so my group played from the flags all the way around. Cheated like dogs all the way. Later I mentioned to one of the organizers what a good idea it was, and then learned the bitter truth. We won, and netted a hot four dollars each.

I was playing in a five figure big money game with a couple of acquaintances. 3rd hole has a green that slopes away so you cant see that backside of it. We couldnt see the flag so we figured somebody had forgotten to put it back in. Guy hits what appears to be over the green, far left side. He drives over there ahead of everyone while we do our thing. He was kind of shady, just got out of 7 years in club fed for money laundering, so I kept my eye on him. I get to the hole about a minute after him, and I see a hole cutter poking out of his bag. I look over and notice two holes on the green!! The guy just cut a new hole and has a grass plug in his hand as he's trying to fill the other hole on the right side over where the other 3 of us hit!!! I go "what the F are you doing!?!?!?!" Guy throws the grass plug at my face, jumps in his cart flying straight at a group of juniors, and drives into the water hazard with a 12 year old dragging underneath the cart. We all agreed that it was a two stroke penalty. Sucks too, because he ended up winning outright anyway so the penalty didnt even matter in the end. We all had a feeling that he probably cheated on the 6th hole too, but nobody witnessed it so we didnt really feel confident calling him on it. Okay, none of that actually happened. I just wanted to make a cool story like the rest of you.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1341294653' post='5208626']
I was playing in a five figure big money game with a couple of acquaintances. 3rd hole has a green that slopes away so you cant see that backside of it. We couldnt see the flag so we figured somebody had forgotten to put it back in. Guy hits what appears to be over the green, far left side. He drives over there ahead of everyone while we do our thing. He was kind of shady, just got out of 7 years in club fed for money laundering, so I kept my eye on him. I get to the hole about a minute after him, and I see a hole cutter poking out of his bag. I look over and notice two holes on the green!! The guy just cut a new hole and has a grass plug in his hand as he's trying to fill the other hole on the right side over where the other 3 of us hit!!! I go "what the F are you doing!?!?!?!" Guy throws the grass plug at my face, jumps in his cart flying straight at a group of juniors, and drives into the water hazard with a 12 year old dragging underneath the cart. We all agreed that it was a two stroke penalty. Sucks too, because he ended up winning outright anyway so the penalty didnt even matter in the end. We all had a feeling that he probably cheated on the 6th hole too, but nobody witnessed it so we didnt really feel confident calling him on it. Okay, none of that actually happened. I just wanted to make a cool story like the rest of you.
[/quote]
Great story man, you could make a movie out of that plotline with Joe Pesci playing the bad guy

I was thinking while watching this video what are the chances,[b] if that had happened to anyone else, how many people would have jumped in to help?[/b]
[/quote]

I think galleries for all of the most popular players - Phil, Bubba, etc. - would have done the same.

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1341294653' post='5208626']
[/quote]

Your story was no less believable than many of the tall tales in this thread.

[quote name='Locked' timestamp='1341338274' post='5211266']
That tiger woods video is awesome... I'm not Tiger fanboy but he played within the rules, was cool to the gallery and was laughing because he knew how ridiculous it was... i have no problem with how that was played.l
[/quote]
You might have had a problem with it if you were leading him by a shot!!!

2nd hand info, but what the heck.

A casual acquaintance lives on a par 4. There was some kind of high school tournament going on and he was watching from his screened in back porch (near the typical landing area on that hole). He saw a drive head toward his property and end up totally dead directly behind a tree. He saw the high school kid who hit the ball stride confidently toward the ball, look at his two fellow competitors (who were at least 40 yards away), and the kid smoothly kicked his ball about 6' well away from the tree (and with a play for the green). Kid must have been a good soccer player.

dave

I have seen cheating in tournaments in about every way, but 2 sandbagging events come to mind:

The Oldsmobile Scramble Tournament finals in Orlando FLA in 1991 (and other years). A complete and total sandbag fest. (And documented.)

A 10 handicap shooting gross 69 at a member-guest on a golf course rated between 71-72.

Basically, if there is a rule it has been broken in a tournament.
Players who cheat in tournaments do so to win and that effects the entire field.
It is reprehensible and competitors must stand-up and call the offenders when it happens.
What is the "worst example" depends on where you stand.
Make up your mind [u]right now[/u] - make a vow - to never let it happen on your watch.

If need be - I will provide a quote from Churchill to gird your loins....lol

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' timestamp='1341351388' post='5212492']
2nd hand info, but what the heck.

A casual acquaintance lives on a par 4. There was some kind of high school tournament going on and he was watching from his screened in back porch (near the typical landing area on that hole). He saw a drive head toward his property and end up totally dead directly behind a tree. He saw the high school kid who hit the ball stride confidently toward the ball, look at his two fellow competitors (who were at least 40 yards away), and the kid smoothly kicked his ball about 6' well away from the tree (and with a play for the green). Kid must have been a good soccer player.

dave
[/quote]
Too bad Phil Mickelson didn't appear and say "nice foot wedge" LOL

Man to think if he's doing this in a high school match, how he'll be in the work world.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1341363120' post='5213418']
This is incredible.

[b]Golwrx should shut this down like now.[/b]

If I believe what I see, all the stuff about a gentlemans game and a game of honor is bunk.

I can't believe that people cheat at golf on this scale.

Just incredible...
[/quote]

The folks at golfwrx had a meeting about this...and even made a resolution to stop all cheating. It will take a few months to design and implement their plan.

Seriously, why do you want them to shut down the thread? I agree there is some incredible stuff. The dad helping his high school kid (post #74) cheat is off-the-charts.

I got accused of cheating in our Monday night league and it really set me off.

I hit a poor tee shot on the first hole and the ball barely cleared the junk that had to be carried to reach the fairway. A member of the other two-man team pulls his ball left so we are relatively near each other.

My cart is behind theirs as they head to their ball and I find mind just through the junk with just enough room to thump an 8-iron on it. This guys screams "Hey, you can't take a drop there." I said I'm not taking a drop my ball is right here. He starts calling BS and calling me a cheater and accusing me of droping a ball. I then proceed to walk to his cart with the dozen of balls that I had and account for all of them. He begrudingly agrees that I didn't cheat.

He hits a bad shot and says under his breath, "fking cheaters." I get on him again about it and I thought for a split second it was going to get ugly.

About 4 holes later he hits a ball in the hazard and takes his drop in the wrong place. I start screaming "Hey, you can't take a drop there." He just blows up at that point.

He should've handled it differently considering he didn't see me drop a ball and just assumed I did. I can appreciate someone being on the look out for a cheater, especially in our league. Just handle it the right way.

[quote name='Miller192' timestamp='1341512975' post='5221780']

He hits a bad shot and says under his breath, "fking cheaters." I get on him again about it and I thought for a split second it was going to get ugly.

About 4 holes later he hits a ball in the hazard and takes his drop in the wrong place. I start screaming "Hey, you can't take a drop there." He just blows up at that point.

[/quote]

:cheesy:

You got his azz good! Funny stuff.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

I had a rules dispute in a club tournament this spring. We were on the 13th hole and a competitor hit a ball into the trees on the right. We all thought it was gone forever. He teed up another ball and put it down the fairway. As we were driving to his 2nd ball, we saw his first ball on the edge of the fairway-- it had hit something and bounced back into play.

I looked at the guy and said, "This sucks but I have to say it: you didn't call provisional. Your 2nd ball is the ball in play. You can't play the first one."

He got angry, but he understood the rule so he grumbled and played his 2nd drive. Later, I was playing a ball from the grassy edge of a lateral hazard and he called out to me. "You can't touch anything in a water hazard!!! That's a penalty!"

I stopped and asked him if he saw me move anything. He said I touched the grass with my club at address. I asked "live grass or dead grass?" He said live grass. I told him you're allowed to touch live grass in a hazard. (It's actually a note on rule 13-4: [b]Note: [/b][left]At any time, including at address[/left][color=#000000][size=3][left]or in the backward movement for the stroke[/left][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3][left], the player may touch, with a club or otherwise, any obstruction, [/left][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3][left]any construction declared by the Committee [/left][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3][left]to be an integral part of the course, [/left][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3][left]or any grass, bush, tree or other growing thing.) [/left][/size][/color]

He got pretty pissed off at that point, and kept grumbling about it for a couple of holes but the rules are the rules.

I hate being put into a position where I'm the "rules nazi" but I won't ignore rules in a tournament to avoid it.

I also remembered why I try to read the rule book cover-to-cover at least once per year.

Once playing in a high school match (goodness those were riddled with cheaters) I stood on the back lip of a fairway bunker almost directly behind a guy so he couldn't see me. He bends down, throws the ball from the bunker and I just say "Hi ya" as soon as he releases the ball and he turns around stammering and I just say "don't worry about it, we gotta play fast, You can throw any ball you want to." He was 12 over after 7 (probably more like 18) and I knew we were gonna beat their team by about 85 strokes so I didn't care.
Also playing in a high school match I loved to screw guys over with lost balls. Whenever I found one and he was looking, I would cover it, ask what he was playing and if it didn't match I would put it in my bag. Many a time I got guys with "you were playing a topflite, correct?" Yeah thanks thats me. "Well this is a Titleist you mother ******!" People didn't like that little trick. Quick tip, if he doesn't remember what ball he's playing when you ask, he's a cheater.
One of my favorite high school golf memories was with my idiot friend who himself is one of the worst cheaters in history. So we're playing in the group behind them (and of course they're slow cuz they suck so we catch up and here them going over scores on the next tee while we putt. Idiot friend says "What did you get on that hole Apujha?" "4." "Oh so you were on the green in one then?"