2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Help Me Improve My Swing - New Angle Added

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DonMega884' timestamp='1341632199' post='5230780']
Seems to me your holding back, explode through the ball and make sure and get some club speed.
[/quote]

Okay, I don't wanna be that guy who asks for advice and then shoots down what he gets, but I vote that whoever came up with the phrase "explode through the ball" should be exploded.

[quote name='DonMega884' timestamp='1341759124' post='5236624']
well just keep swinging like a girl then
[/quote]

come on man stop giving bad advice, it is never advisable to swing harder. plus you have a post in this thread asking for swing help so if your so good at diagnosing swings then why do you need help.

and i dont want to sound mean but your swing wasnt even that good, you were drastically overswinging in your video, so to advise some one to swing harder when you yourself overswing is a joke, so please learn your stuff, or dont try to help people.

[quote name='Tee Time!' timestamp='1341628068' post='5230388']
Cell phone video, so sorry about that. Only the down-the-line angle for now. My typical ball flight is a baby-draw to draw. Looking for some good advice so if you know your stuff, let's hear it.
[/quote]

really a pretty good swing. your takeaway needs a little work. seems like your starting your backswing to much with your hands and arms and not enough with your body. this is causing your backswing to come inside to much.

i would also advise your body to be tilted slightly backwards at the top of the backswing. looks like you are tilted forward a tad which will restrict your hip rotation on the way down.

[/quote]

My SS has been about 120ish. Been hitting it 290-310, decent % in the fairway. Come to Indiana and lets play. We'll c who hits it like a girl. Oh ya, way to join this site like 2 days ago and just start giving people junk advice like "explode through the ball". Lol

[quote name='i am taylor(made)' timestamp='1341759612' post='5236658']
[quote name='Tee Time!' timestamp='1341628068' post='5230388']
Cell phone video, so sorry about that. Only the down-the-line angle for now. My typical ball flight is a baby-draw to draw. Looking for some good advice so if you know your stuff, let's hear it.
[/quote]

really a pretty good swing. your takeaway needs a little work. seems like your starting your backswing to much with your hands and arms and not enough with your body. this is causing your backswing to come inside to much.

i would also advise your body to be tilted slightly backwards at the top of the backswing. looks like you are tilted forward a tad which will restrict your hip rotation on the way down.
[/quote]

Thank you for some ACTUAL good advice Taylor(made). Yeah I've always taken it away inside like that. I'll have to work on what u said about leaning back more at the top of my swing. That's a good observation. And also about starting my backswing more with my body. Good call too. I used to be better with that.

[quote name='Tee Time!' timestamp='1341760492' post='5236698']
[/quote]

My SS has been about 120ish. Been hitting it 290-310, decent % in the fairway. Come to Indiana and lets play. We'll c who hits it like a girl. Oh ya, way to join this site like 2 days ago and just start giving people junk advice like "explode through the ball". Lol
[/quote]

its hard for me to believe you hit the ball that far with watching that video.

but dont think of it has leaning back. its really more of your upper body being tilted backwards only like 6-8 degrees. to most its not even noticeable but it really makes a difference by allowing your hips to properly rotate on the way down.

[quote name='i am taylor(made)' timestamp='1341764010' post='5236952']
[quote name='Tee Time!' timestamp='1341760492' post='5236698']
[/quote]

its hard for me to believe you hit the ball that far with watching that video.

but dont think of it has leaning back. its really more of your upper body being tilted backwards only like 6-8 degrees. to most its not even noticeable but it really makes a difference by allowing your hips to properly rotate on the way down.
[/quote]

I was gonna edit my post to change "leaning" to "tilting" but I've been at work this whole time and figured I should actually get something done! And ya that's about my consistent distance this year. Granted its really really dry here so I'm definitely getting some awesome roll after carry. The drive in that video wasn't that long but it's the only video I took that day. I measure my drives with GPS from where the cart is parked next to the tee to where my ball ends up so it's not a scorecard distance error. Of course, there's no way for me to prove to you over the internet how far I hit it, unless you come play with me, which you're more than welcome to! Or if I posted a video of a drive, then me driving to my ball and showing the distances on the gps, which would be an abundance of wasted time.

EDIT:[b] See Post #25 for Proof Videos.[/b]

whatever, most people overestimate their drives by 30-40 yards on average, its a fact.

most pro's dont even drive it that far.

your skinny with no strength.

unless its 120 degrees outside, dry rock hard fairways and your playing at high altitude, its impossible.

maybe if you have done it once, but i doubt you can do it the majority of the time.

[quote name='i am taylor(made)' timestamp='1341773865' post='5237630']
whatever, most people overestimate their drives by 30-40 yards on average, its a fact.

unless its 120 degrees outside, dry rock hard fairways and your playing at high altitude, its impossible.

maybe if you have done it once, but i doubt you can do it the majority of the time.
[/quote]

I like how you're basically calling me a liar without A) ever playing with me and B) waiting for me to post PROOF. And no its not something ive done once when its 120 degrees off the cartpath. I usually hit it 290+ like 3-4 times/18 holes. I'll even take a video of 2 of them in the same round so you know it's not a fluke. And I'm not "estimating". I'm using multiple GPS units on multiple courses. And actually yeah, most pros can and do drive it that far a fair amount of the time. PGA tour driving averages are calculated with 2 drives/player/round. One from a hole into the wind and one with the wind. And they incorporate yardages even if a player tees off with a 3 wood or even an iron on one or both of those holes. So driving averages for tour players are deflated. And I agree a TON of players overestimate their drives, but I DON'T. And ya I am skinny, but have u ever heard of something called leverage? I'm 6' 4". I've hit on launch monitors many times and my SS has always been right at 120. That SS can easily produce drives the distance we're talking about. If u wanna debate that's totally fine and I c where you're coming from being sceptical of my distances based on the 1 and only swing you've ever seen of mine. But I already said I'll take a fricken video showing the distance on GPS from where I tee off, me hitting it 290-300, driving up to my ball, and showing the distance on the GPS where my ball ends up. So y don't you just wait for me to prove that I'm correct and 100% honest?

EDIT: [b]See Post #25 for Proof Videos.[/b]

@ Taylormade, It's actually 10. It's nothing to do with my driving or my swings, I struggle with putting and chipping. I don't know if you could tell but in that video ball goes straight down the pipe everytime. I don't struggle at all with my swing, shows how much you know. Yes and I'm putting 275-280 all day with my swing and that's no bullxxxx either. Let's see a video of your swing buddy.

Hall really gonna break out the measuring stick on the interweb? I average 760 yards off the tee so what?..

Titleist 915D3 8.5* D+70x wb
Titleist 913f 14* 3w D+ 82x wb
Bridgestone 18* 5w Tour Aldila 'ByYou'
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW KBS TourV
Taylormade 50* NikeVrev 54* BV sm5 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport2

[quote name='bacination' timestamp='1341836226' post='5241810']
Hey, not bad.

What I see is: The club is very laid off at the top, forcing you to compensate on the way down. Also you extend your hips early. This is what is causing most of your inconsistencies.
[/quote]

Thanks for the good input. The club is most certainly laid off. Would it fix the issue if I were to start my take away more with my body like taylor(made) said? And I will be working on fixing the early hip extension.

You lose your hip/butt line right before impact. This is also referred to as early hip extension, among other things. In the downswing, what [i]you[/i] do is stand up and throw your hips at the ball from the inside while flipping your hands at impact. You can see this if you hover the mouse over (a) the edge of your butt at and (b) your shoulder center and see what happens near impact. This is a good way to hit the ball far, but you have to time those three movements extraordinarily well to get the ball turning back to the left towards the fairway. I would argue that a more reliable way to deliver the club to the ball is to rotate about a fixed center, namely the left hip area. Try hitting half wedges with your feet together and look up Shawn Clement's videos, particularly the Hogan Power Drill. I would be interested to see a face-on video to see your lateral movement (or, more likely, lack thereof) in the downswing.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

[quote name='Roland of Gilead' timestamp='1341859533' post='5244126']
You lose your hip/butt line right before impact. This is also referred to as early hip extension, among other things. In the downswing, what you do is stand up and throw your hips at the ball from the inside while flipping your hands at impact. You can see this if you hover the mouse over (a) the edge of your butt at and (b) your shoulder center and see what happens near impact. This is a good way to hit the ball far, but you have to time those three movements extraordinarily well to get the ball turning back to the left towards the fairway. I would argue that a more reliable way to deliver the club to the ball is to rotate about a fixed center, namely the left hip area. Try hitting half wedges with your feet together and look up Shawn Clement's videos, particularly the Hogan Power Drill. I would be interested to see a face-on video to see your lateral movement (or, more likely, lack thereof) in the downswing.
[/quote]

I looked up that Clement video you suggested and I think that drill is exactly what I needed. I'll have to keep working that over and over for a while because it feels so unnatural to me.

Here's a face-on video of an iron shot (full speed, then 20% speed):

[quote name='i am taylor(made)' timestamp='1341773865' post='5237630']

[/quote]

PROOF Videos:
First drive was 323 yards. Second one was 311 yards. Ball I was playing was a Bridgestone e5 (not a distance ball). Pretty much no wind. Elevation is about 750 feet here (pretty much nothing), fairways were dry but not rock hard and temp was 90 degrees. Now, that I have shown proof let the record show that I was being honest about how far I hit it. I hit drives like this all the time.

[quote name='Tee Time!' timestamp='1341979239' post='5253808']
[/quote]
See the new vids 2 posts up of me swinging like a girl?
[/quote]

I could post a video of Steve Stricker taking a dump on the toilet and it would look better than those videos

[quote name='Tee Time!' timestamp='1341979239' post='5253808']
[/quote]
See the new vids 2 posts up of me swinging like a girl?
[/quote]

I dont see you swinging like a girl.

I sent you an image via PM.

From a face on view I can see a few things:

There is significant head movement on the backswing.

Your transition is near perfect, as you can see in the collage, but then it breaks down before impact.

This is a better player fault, from thrusting your hips toward it, early extending. It will take a lot of practice to fix, and a lot of bad rounds. I have included a pic of sam snead so you can see how wide his thighs were at impact. With the legs at that position it is impossible to extend the hips toward the ball.

If you pause the face-on video just before impact you can see that the shaft has lost its flex, your wrists have turned over and the clubhead has passed your hands. You can play good golf this way, but will probably rely strongly on feel and repetition to keep your swing in form. Check out stuff from Clement, Dan Whittaker (dfw1500 on youtube) and Slicefixer for a different style of swing. bacination is right, it will take a lot of time and frustration if you want to make these sorts of changes. The choice is yours.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow