Ireland top 5

Hey guys, my cousin and I are in talks to visit ireland next summer. We're planning on being there 7-10 days. We want to visit Dublin a couple days forsure, and aren't going to be playing everyday. However, we still want to play 4-5 times. These are the courses were interested in, but are willing to change for the better:

Royal County Down

Old Head

The European Club

Druids Glen

Can you guys give your top 5 courses you'd play (distance doesn't matter) and give some insight on these courses we're interested in? Also, what are the best courses near dublin as those would be convenient to play.

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being Irish I can tell you quite a bit. In Dublin there is portmarnock and the island (both championship links), Near Dublin there is carton house (next irish open course)the k club (Ryder cup course)Killeen castle (solheim cup course) the European and Druids glen and also mount wolosley. Around Ireland there is Mount Juliet ( host to two WGC events) old head ( better than pebble) adare manor . In west Munster there are spectacular links which include Waterville , lahinch , and old head. And in the north there is RCD ,Hollywood and portrush.Hope there is enough there , there are a few more but they are probably the best I recollect anyway

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='thatboygaule' timestamp='1343771986' post='5386252']
Being Irish I can tell you quite a bit. In Dublin there is portmarnock and the island (both championship links), Near Dublin there is carton house (next irish open course)the k club (Ryder cup course)Killeen castle (solheim cup course) the European and Druids glen and also mount wolosley. Around Ireland there is Mount Juliet ( host to two WGC events) old head ( better than pebble) adare manor . In west Munster there are spectacular links which include Waterville , lahinch , and old head. And in the north there is RCD ,Hollywood and portrush.Hope there is enough there , there are a few more but they are probably the best I recollect anyway
[/quote]

Hey, thank you for the input. Just curious, what are your favorites? (I'm sure they're all spectacular haha)

[quote name='mlecs03' timestamp='1343771176' post='5386184']
Hey guys, my cousin and I are in talks to visit ireland next summer. We're planning on being there 7-10 days. We want to visit Dublin a couple days forsure, and aren't going to be playing everyday. However, we still want to play 4-5 times. These are the courses were interested in, but are willing to change for the better:
Royal County Down
Old Head
The European Club
Druids Glen

Can you guys give your top 5 courses you'd play (distance doesn't matter) and give some insight on these courses we're interested in? Also, what are the best courses near dublin as those would be convenient to play.
Thanks
[/quote]

Royal County Down
Ballybunion (Old Course or get the deal & play both in the same day)
Lahinch
Tralee

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Portmarnock, I think it's the most over rated course I've ever seen.
Old Head is just an average golf course, on one of the most spectacular pieces of land on earth.

I haven't played the K Club, The European or Waterville, but I understand they're great courses.

I went on a "once in a lifetime" Ireland golf trip last month and my favorite courses were:

Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old Course)
Trailee (especially the back 9- just spectacular)
Portmornock
Waterville

Old Head is supposedly spectactular but we played in dense fog and couldnt see a thing. I was not impressed with the K Cluib courses but did like the Old course better than the Ryder Cup course.

We didnt go up North but Royal County down is considered by many to be the best course in the world, and at worst top 3 or 4. Portrush is up there and I heard the European Club was great.

courses around Dublin to consider other than those mentioned

The Island
County Louth
Royal Dublin
Portmarnock Hotel Links

You must play Royal Portrush if you are heading north to play RCD - play Portstewart if you are overnighting in the area (Bayview Hotel in Portballintrae is Darren Clarke's local hangout)

Northern Ireland has great sightseeing as well - Belfast is very unique and the Titanic experience is newly opened

Other sights to see : Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Bushmills Distillery etc.

As for other courses I would head over to Galway and play Lahinch if you don't mind the drive and see the Cliffs of Moher and The Burren while in the area

Between Portrush and Lahinch you have many choices to stop and play a round or two at:

Ballyliffin
Portsalon
Rosapenna
Narin and Portnoo
Murvagh
Rosses Point
Enniscrone
Carne
Connemara

My top 10

1.Old Head
2.Royal County Down
3.The European
4.Waterville
5.Ballybunion
6.Mount Juliet
7.Carton House
8.Portmarnock
9.The K club
10.Royal Portrush

Hope that that is good enough for you
Some places worth visiting are:The Giants Causeway, Blarney Castle, Guinness Brewery and Farmleigh house,

[quote name='mlecs03' timestamp='1343777395' post='5386678']
[quote name='thatboygaule' timestamp='1343771986' post='5386252']
[/quote]

Hey, thank you for the input. Just curious, what are your favorites? (I'm sure they're all spectacular haha)
[/quote]

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

Am only going to mention links courses, there's no sense in going all that way to play a parkland layout. If you're going into and out of Dublin, the European Club is about 45 minutes south of town and is a must play. The Island, Portmarnock, and Royal Dublin are all in the Dublin area and are worthy of playing. You could drive 2.5 hours west on good motorways and stay around Killarney for a few days and play Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville, and Old Head. Alternatively you could head up north and stay at the Slieve Donard hotel and play Royal County Down and Ardglass, then head north to Bushmills, stay at Bushmills Inn and play Royal Portrush's both courses, and Portstewart. It's the flip of the coin as to the better trip, although the scenery in the Southwest might be some of the best I've seen in golf! Cheers!

There are so many great options for you. Around Dublin, Portmarnock and Island Club. To me, if you only play Portmarnock once, you'll come away disappointed. I played it once and actually was a couple days later when my buddy who is scratch and I were talking and thought back to all the good holes. It is pretty flat and lacks that wow factor of many of the other links courses. Island Club is one hard SOB...fairways that make my driveway look wide.

European Club and I heard Baltray is good. Go to Northern Ireland and play Royal County Down, Royal Portrush and Port Stewart. Or go to the southwest and play Ballybunion, Lahinch, Waterville, etc. These are all the big names but you could go northwest and hit a lot of great tracks for less money but still great. It may depend on what you want to do/see outside of Dublin.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

Royal County Down
Old Head
The European Club
Druids Glen

Thanks
[/quote] My son and I just completed a three week trip to Ireland where we played the following courses. Portmarnock,The European Club,Royal County Down,Portrush,Portstewart,Ballyliffin,Doonbeg,Lahinch,Ballybunion,Waterville and Tralee. Our top five would be The European Club,Royal County Down,Lahinch,Ballybunion,Waterville. However , in choosing only five we are splitting hairs. We would recommend any of the courses we played and would play each one again. The course we didn't play near Dublin was the Island. We heard great things about it however.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1343780995' post='5387062']
Royal County Down
Old Head
The European Club
Druids Glen

Thanks
[/quote]

Royal County Down
Ballybunion (Old Course or get the deal & play both in the same day)
Lahinch
Tralee

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Portmarnock, I think it's the most over rated course I've ever seen.
Old Head is just an average golf course, on one of the most spectacular pieces of land on earth.

I haven't played the K Club, The European or Waterville, but I understand they're great courses.
[/quote]

I think I would agree with these, Ballybunion, Old Head, Lahinch, Waterville are all just epic. Forget Portmarnock. Mount Juliet us another great one...
Enjoy.

Just got back from 8days last week in Ireland :(

its been a terrible summer over here so all courses were wet, and we got 3rd time unlucky with the weather i'm afraid

Played Carton House decent, but v wet, great hotel and set up

Doonbeg Special as always, much better condition than last year also

Killarney both the Killeen and mahonys Point, Killeeen was excellent Mahony was Pony

Ballybunion, beautiful but lashed it down, better in the afternoon on the Cashin but greeens were terrible

Tralee, BREATHTAKING AND A MUST IF IN IRELAND, WELL WORTH THE TRIP DOWN AND MUCH BETTER THAN BALLYBUNION IMO

Tm M1 Hzdrus 9.5
Titleist 915 Fd Tour Ad Di 7 s
Titleist 712 U 2 Iron
TM 3-PW PSI Project x 6.0
TM Tour Preffered 52, 58 KBS S
Odyssey 7 Standard
TM Flextech Lite Stand
Any Ball

Pictures of Old Head on their website look AMAZING!
WOW

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Our group went to Southwest Ireland in July and played Ballybunion, Lahinch and some of the other world renowned courses. All were great courses and worth the visit so you won't go wrong with any of them. For a change of pace, we also played Dooks, which while not as well known or dramatic as the famous links was a beautiful and enjoyable course with spectacular views throughout. The caddies were better than those at Ballybunion, the staff was friendly and the 19th hole was the equal of those at Ballybunion and Lahinch. See the latest Golf Digest for fun courses in the British Isles, and you'll find it near the top of the list.

OP: the weather is hit or miss there all the time, so unless you have to go during the summer, a May or September trip could get you just as good weather, would mean less crowded, cheaper accomodation and hopefully cheaper flights.

Concerning the golf, don't play anything other than links/seaside golf if you do not plan on going back again soon. Ireland has some of the worlds best links golf - and some fun modest links golf too - and any round played inland is an opportunity missed to play a links course.

If you're going to be there 7-10 days I'd focus on two regions only for a first visit:
Dublin (European, Portmarnock, The Island, Baltray - not quite Dublin but close)
Southwest (Waterville, Dooks, Tralee, Doonbeg, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Old Head - bit further South than the rest)
North (Royal County Down, Ardglass, Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, Ballyliffin Old/New - a bit more Northwest than North)

Mayo, Sligo, and Donegal also have a bunch of class tracks, a couple I took my friends to, but again as your first trip over I can appreciate you'd want to hit to big names.

If I was to pick 5. In order I'd say:
The European Club
Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old)
Waterville
The Island

If you are there for 10 days, I'd add:
Tralee
Old Head
The European Club

I first played in Ireland in 1997, back before the interweb was everywhere, and I leaned heavily on this book, which still makes for an excellent and relevant read today:
[b] [url="http://www.amazon.com/Emerald-Fairways-Foam-Flecked-Seas-Pilgrimage/dp/1416532986/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346716493&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=heather+fairways+golf+ireland"][size=3]Emerald Fairways and Foam-Flecked Seas: A Golfer's Pilgrimage to the Courses of Ireland[/size][/url][size=3] James W. Finnegan[/size][/b]

From a tourist POV, Dublin is one of the least architecturally interesting capital cities in Europe. It is great for going on the piss and hanging out with your mates, but you'll find way more of interest in the country. Dublin does have some cool historical places to see, but the countryside is where it's at and funnily enough there are some excellent golf courses out there too :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I played the Ryder Cup Course at the K Club. It was awesome and it's cool that I can say I played it. However it's not the traditional, Irish links golf one might imagine when they think Irish Golf. I'd go somewhere else or try the other course if I went back. It was an awesome experience if you hvae time for it though, and not hard to get to via train from Dublin.