Which App? GolfLogix, GolfShot or SkyDroid

I have been using the Izzo Swami for a year now. Its a simple device, it only gives you yardage to front, center and back. I've compared the yardages from Izzo Swami to the yardage markers on the course and its always been within 1-2 yds. Every now and then it will be off by a few more yards, but I have been happy with for what it does. The drawback is getting yardages to bunkers, water.....etc. All in all, I think its a very accurate device.

So I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy SIII, and downloaded the GolfLogix App. I went and played 9 holes with it today and I was comparing the yardages of the Golf Logix against the course yardage makers and my Izzo Swami.The Izzo Swami and the coursemakers were pretty dead on, but the Golf Logix was anywhere from 5-10 yds off.

I would like to get some positive/negative feedback from you guys on what you like or dislike. Like I stated, I have no complaints with the Izzo Swami, but would like all the bells and whistles the other Apps offer, but accuracy is key to me. I know 1-2 yds isn't a big deal, but when you get above 5 or more, for me it will make a difference.

Thanks!

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3, 4, 5 hybrid
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='flyersfan25' timestamp='1344552803' post='5440074']
Golfshot! By far the best app I ever purchased on my phone. Keeps track of your stats and uploads all your scorecards/distances with each club (if you measure your shot) and keeps a handicap for you. The GPS is pretty damn accurate too, I love it.
[/quote]

Does it only measure front, center and back, or can you pin point spots on the green?

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

[quote name='PhillyMac' timestamp='1344555213' post='5440322']
Golfshot! By far the best app I ever purchased on my phone. Keeps track of your stats and uploads all your scorecards/distances with each club (if you measure your shot) and keeps a handicap for you. The GPS is pretty damn accurate too, I love it.
[/quote]

Does it only measure front, center and back, or can you pin point spots on the green?
[/quote]

It measures everything. GolfShot it the greatest software application every invented for golf. Golfscape is a nice addition, but not necessary.

As mentioned Golfshot measures all the important distances. Yardage to bunkers, how far you have to hit to clear them. Distance to 'waste areas', hazards etc and how far to clear them . You also get front center back of green. It has an overhead view so you can see the hole, tee to green, from above and you can touch the screen to get distance from where you are to any point. Tracks all of your stats (putts, GIR, Fairways hit, scramble %) and other stuff that it presents in nice pie charts.

I run Golfshot on my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Here's a link to The top Five Iphone apps (most work on Android too).
[url="http://gps.about.com/od/sportsandfitness/tp/Best_iPhone_Golf_GPS_Apps.htm"]http://gps.about.com...lf_GPS_Apps.htm[/url]

I ended up buying Golfshot a couple of years ago after reading up on Smartphone GPS apps here on GolfWRX.
After a few reads, Golfshot was a pretty obvious choice as far as my needs are concerned.

[quote name='PhillyMac' timestamp='1344555213' post='5440322']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea it will have a list of yardages like 150 yard layup, bunkers, front/back/middle of green, and you can pinpoint anywhere you want to on the hole and get the yardage to that point.

There's lots of recent complaints in the Android store about Golfshot. That the recent updates are buggy and that the Android version is not good compared to iOS. Are you guys that are all giving Golfshot love on iPhone or Android? And if you're on Android, which OS are you running?

$30 is a lot for an app if it's buggy. Anyone have any experience with SkyDroid? Lots of great review for that Android app.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[size=4]Can't imagine you'll be able to find a better app than GolfLogix. [/size]

[size=4]Love the a[color=#333333]erial flyovers, especially when playing courses I'm not familiar with. Also, being able to zoom in and get [/color][/size][color=#333333]specific GPS distances to the pin locations[/color][color=#333333] is key. Highly recommend it. [/color]

So I bit the bullet and spent $29 for Golfshot and it's costing me 1-3 shots per round!!! 2 today when it was off by 10-15 yards! ugh, I have a what I think is the perfect club and fly it over the back, I then walk it off and yep, both were 10-15 yards off. Every time the app is long, never short. So I ask the golf pro and cart guy about these apps and they both said, "oh yeah, we hear all the time these being 1-2 clubs off, i would use the sprinkler heads". Back to my laser!

PING G25 Driver
PING G25 3W Hyb 20
PING i25 4-GW
PING Tour S Rustic 55, 60
PING Ketsch
Srixon XV

Used SkyDroid this weekend and was very impressed at the value for $1.99. It did everything I asked of it. I played Masonboro CC and Cape Fear National in Wilmington, NC - the Masonboro readouts were a few yards off here and there, but the Cape Fear map seemed to be spot on. Either way, it was as good as having a yardage book.

i have a skycaddie but tried Golfshot this weekend. I liked it and the yardages matched up with my skycaddie as I held them both and they were pretty close most of the time.

The one thing I didn't like is I was never ever able to download the aerial imagery of the course while on the course it kept saying check the website and have a valid network connection. The aerial imagery is on their site so I don't know what it is. Maybe it could be that I was trying at 3g but jeez I can surf the web at 3g why not get an aerial image???

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1344637116' post='5446934']
There's lots of recent complaints in the Android store about Golfshot. That the recent updates are buggy and that the Android version is not good compared to iOS. Are you guys that are all giving Golfshot love on iPhone or Android? And if you're on Android, which OS are you running?

$30 is a lot for an app if it's buggy. Anyone have any experience with SkyDroid? Lots of great review for that Android app.
[/quote]

Received an bug/stability fix last week and played with it today. It was quitting on me 4 or 5 times per round.
Played today with no issues whatsoever. Loaded faster and score entry and hole to hole advancement
was a LOT faster as well.

Golfshot. I've bought all the ones mentioned and for one reason or another always seem to go back to Golfshot. If they would outline the greens it would be perfect, as well allowing variable zooming.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

Golf Frontier! Has excellent use interface, real simple to use, has a list view and an aerial view. I took the time and tweaked the course that I play mostly online at Golffrontier.com. I was able to put carres to certain bunkers. carry over marshes (different points), anything I want. It helps me with course management. I tried a bunch of Apps and IMHO, nothing is close.

TaylorMade M2 10.5* Aldila Rogue
Tour Exotics 15* Fubuki
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17* Fubuki
Adams Pro 23* Aldila Tour
Adams a4 Forged 5-pw DG SL
Mizuno MP-T 10 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura (original) with added insert for additional weight

[quote name='RedSox2004' timestamp='1344692450' post='5449572']
[size=4]Can't imagine you'll be able to find a better app than GolfLogix. [/size]

[size=4]Love the a[color=#333333]erial flyovers, especially when playing courses I'm not familiar with. Also, being able to zoom in and get [/color][/size][color=#333333]specific GPS distances to the pin locations[/color][color=#333333] is key. Highly recommend it. [/color]
[/quote]

I've had it for awhile ... the the past few updates are actually making it worse and worse. When they added scoring, they had to take out the option to "auto-advance" ... so I have to turn the screen on and click "next hole" after every hole.

Then, two weeks ago they delivered another update - and it is a total disaster. It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

I know 20 or 30 seconds doesn't sound like much ... but I play fairly fast golf. Get to my ball, pick a club, visualize, one practice swning, then swing ... i.e., a minute and a half at most generally. So waiting 30 seconds to just get a distance is ridiculous.

It used to be much faster. When I called tech support about this, they told me the slower times were an update that came from trying to use less battery on 4G phones. But to me, I've now reached the point of having a virtually unusable app.

All these companies seem to be falling prey to the "bloatware" ... needing to stuff more and more into every release.

Myself ... I do not want my damn phone to keep score for me, measure my club distances, allow me to post scores to Facebook (for goodness sake) ...

I just want an app that gives me distances, fast. And that autoadvances (so if I don't need it for three or four holes - which is common on courses I know and play a lot - it is not demanding that I'm paying attention to it every hole just to keep up.

People here have been mentioning Golfshot ... can any of you tell me if it will get the job done for me?

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1344989739' post='5472794']

[/quote]

It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

[/quote]

Luckily I never paid the $19.99 "Championship" upgrade, but GolfLogix offers 2 free rounds using the upgraded version. It was so slow, and not to mention it was off on the yardages that I shut it off after 3 holes. I just could not trust it. Bob, I have been hearing some pretty good reviews on the SkyDroid as well. It's just hard for me to pull the trigger on a $29 app that simply does not work as descibed.

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

[quote name='PhillyMac' timestamp='1344990366' post='5472884']

[/quote]

It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

[/quote]

Luckily I never paid the $19.99 "Championship" upgrade, but GolfLogix offers 2 free rounds using the upgraded version. It was so slow, and not to mention it was off on the yardages that I shut it off after 3 holes. I just could not trust it. Bob, I have been hearing some pretty good reviews on the SkyDroid as well. It's just hard for me to pull the trigger on a $29 app that simply does not work as descibed.
[/quote]

You are saying the same thing I've heard from several people.

The sad thing is that is [i]used[/i] to be [i]really [/i]good ... pretty much the best. And it is now worthless ...

Can't imagine you'll be able to find a better app than GolfLogix.

Love the a[color=#333333]erial flyovers, especially when playing courses I'm not familiar with. Also, being able to zoom in and get [/color][color=#333333]specific GPS distances to the pin locations[/color][color=#333333] is key. Highly recommend it. [/color]
[/quote]

I've had it for awhile ... the the past few updates are actually making it worse and worse. When they added scoring, they had to take out the option to "auto-advance" ... so I have to turn the screen on and click "next hole" after every hole.

Then, two weeks ago they delivered another update - and it is a total disaster. It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

I know 20 or 30 seconds doesn't sound like much ... but I play fairly fast golf. Get to my ball, pick a club, visualize, one practice swning, then swing ... i.e., a minute and a half at most generally. So waiting 30 seconds to just get a distance is ridiculous.

It used to be much faster. When I called tech support about this, they told me the slower times were an update that came from trying to use less battery on 4G phones. But to me, I've now reached the point of having a virtually unusable app.

All these companies seem to be falling prey to the "bloatware" ... needing to stuff more and more into every release.

Myself ... I do not want my damn phone to keep score for me, measure my club distances, allow me to post scores to Facebook (for goodness sake) ...

I just want an app that gives me distances, fast. And that autoadvances (so if I don't need it for three or four holes - which is common on courses I know and play a lot - it is not demanding that I'm paying attention to it every hole just to keep up.

People here have been mentioning Golfshot ... can any of you tell me if it will get the job done for me?
[/quote]

If you just want distances, the $1.99 for SkyDroid is well worth it. And the Zoom feature uses Google Earth aerials to show you carry distances and whatnot. I was very impressed with it and for the price you don't have much to lose. Distances were updated virtually instantly, and battery drain was minimal. You do have to advance the holes yourself, but that's about it.

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1344992371' post='5473114']
Can't imagine you'll be able to find a better app than GolfLogix.

Love the a[color=#333333]erial flyovers, especially when playing courses I'm not familiar with. Also, being able to zoom in and get [/color][color=#333333]specific GPS distances to the pin locations[/color][color=#333333] is key. Highly recommend it. [/color]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you just want distances, the $1.99 for SkyDroid is well worth it. And the Zoom feature uses Google Earth aerials to show you carry distances and whatnot. I was very impressed with it and for the price you don't have much to lose. Distances were updated virtually instantly, and battery drain was minimal. You do have to advance the holes yourself, but that's about it.
[/quote]

Thank you for this ... but I'm actually looking for two very specific things: Very fast distances, and autoadvance. There's gotta be some app out there that does that (and frankly, price doesn't matter at all ... I mean, even the most expensive of the apps have an annual subscription that is less than a dozen ProV's ... )

If you are dead set on auto advance, the GolfShot is out. Must advance for each hole and mine is dreadfully slow to lock in a distance. Could be that I'm still on an i-phone 3GS but I've heard others with newer i-phones complain about lag time.

I just got an update yesterday and playing a fairly familiar course tomorrow so we will see if it's gotten any better.

I'm not sure what's going on with the guys who have problems with Golf Shot. I have used it since the day it was released for $2.99.

I have never had the software crash. I have never been to course that wasn't available. I have only gotten wrong distances twice and both times it was obvious & due to a GPS anomaly. The GPS distances update in real time and I've never waited more than a few seconds for the reading to stabilize. I have yet to find a situation where it couldn't load the aerial data and layout. I have compared distances on GolfShot to laser measured distances and never had a variance of more than 2 or 3 yards.

I run it on an iPhone 4S or whatever the latest iPhone is. I've used it for 257 rounds and probably 50 different courses. Quite honestly, GolfShot is one of the greatest software applications I've run across, in some 25+ years with computers.

BTW, during most of my rounds, I play music on my iPhone, run GolfShot & track all statistics & at least 10 "club distances" each round. All that, uses about 80% of a full battery charge.

I have been using an android app called nrange for two years. It works great. As accurate as my partners GPS( unknown brand), and has all the bells and whistles you want and need. Hardly uses any battery on my galaxy nexus. Easy to read, shows a map of each hole which you can drag your finger around to any tree/hazard/sand/water to get yardage. Log clubs/scores/handicap/distance with plenty of personalized setting. Also at the end of the round you simply hit a button to email your score to yourself.

I've used GolfShot for the past year and half and really like the functionality (scores, club tracker, etc.). The only issue that I have with the program is trying to get distances to a specific spot on the course. You are able to hold your finger on the course and it will show the distance; however, due to a small screen I can never get the spot that I want. You have to hold your finger for a second or two and it just doesn't work well with big fingers/small screen.

I have since moved to Mobitee and really like the program. Does basically everything GolfShot does but is easier to move the cursor around on the screen.