2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Young professional looking at memberships in NJ

golfkid33

Hi everyone,

I am a 24 year-old living in Hoboken, NJ and am looking for an affordable membership at a good course in the area. I started looking at Glenwood and Battleground but don't know much. I am a 5-handicapper and grew up working/playing at Ridgewood CC where my dad is a member.

I love RCC but even a junior membership costs almost $5k and I'd like a place of my own. Both Glenwood and Battleground are less than hour drive from here so it looks like Monmouth county courses could work. From looking at the websites it appears Battleground is expensive and most likely out of my price range. Any input on a good place to join in the area would be much appreciated!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Inlaws live in Cherry Hill, NJ.

If you are serious about Professional level golf, I would move out of that Extremely High tax state like NJ and relocate. The tax savings alone could pay for a membership at a decent course.

Currently i live in Tennessee and have no State Income Tax and I'm looking to move to the Dallas / Ft Woth, TX area also with no State Income tax. The savings alone on wasted taxes would pay my membership at some very decent courses in that area. I have narrowed it down to a couple within 30 miles of where we will be moving and I cannot wait!

Titleist 917 D3 Whiteboard
Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
RBZ TP 24* Hybrid
Cleveland 588 Combo
Edel 52 and 56 DVR Grind, 60 DGR Grind
Edel Putter with Vari Weight

[quote name='ke0016' timestamp='1345398103' post='5498686']

If you are serious about Professional level golf, I would move out of that Extremely High tax state like NJ and relocate. The tax savings alone could pay for a membership at a decent course.

Currently i live in Tennessee and have no State Income Tax and I'm looking to move to the Dallas / Ft Woth, TX area also with no State Income tax. The savings alone on wasted taxes would pay my membership at some very decent courses in that area. I have narrowed it down to a couple within 30 miles of where we will be moving and I cannot wait!
[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts. I would definitely be open to relocating but most career prospects at my age are in NYC so I feel somewhat tied to this area for now. My girlfriend also works in Manhattan so we would have to find jobs with growth prospects before considering a move.

I'm from western NJ; I'm guessing 5 large is not unreasonable in that part of the state.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

[quote name='golfkid33' timestamp='1345423267' post='5500326']
[quote name='ke0016' timestamp='1345398103' post='5498686']

[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts. I would definitely be open to relocating but most career prospects at my age are in NYC so I feel somewhat tied to this area for now. My girlfriend also works in Manhattan so we would have to find jobs with growth prospects before considering a move.
[/quote]

Ah the girlfriends have a way of messing up your Pro Golfing Career...

Believe me...... I know!

RBZ TP 24* Hybrid
Cleveland 588 Combo

[quote name='Pondy' timestamp='1345423530' post='5500346']
I'm from western NJ; I'm guessing 5 large is not unreasonable in that part of the state.
[/quote]

I agree, but I was looking the cost of living with membership vs. relocating and saving money overall.

I see what my inlaws pay to live in a house half the size of ours and it doesn't make any sense. Especially since they are paying $22K for property taxes for a house half our size.

Relocating is cheap and if you are looking to a pro career, part time work will be all you could handle.

RBZ TP 24* Hybrid
Cleveland 588 Combo

Check out Fiddler's Elbow. It used to be a corporate club, but they are now offering individual memberships. I recently went to take a tour, and while I forget the exact numbers, I want to say it was in the $5k neighborhood. But, for someone at your age, I think they cut the rate in half. There are 3 courses there, too, so you get a lot for your money. It's literally right off 78 so easy ride from Hoboken.

Cobra Fly Z+, Matrix white tie
Ping G25 17, stock stiff
Cobra AMP 19, RIP
Callaway Apex 5-PW KBS Tour
Scor 48, Vokey 52, 56
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Did you want to be a pro? I didn't catch that line.....

Make sure to balance out cost of membership vs cost / convenience of getting there. I mean driving an hour each way for someone without a lot of free time to offset saving a little money probably won't be worth it in the end. For me, living and working close to my old club was the number one driver towards the membership being worthwhile. Of course, if I got invited to join someplace ridiculous like Augusta I would hitch hike my way there a few times a year :)

I am in the same boat as you, Live in Hoboken High Teens Handicap. Only 25 years old and looking to join a club in NJ, I put some interest in Joining Upper Montclair. I am Fortunate with my job to play great course in NJ as Liberty, Bayonne, Baltusrol and Trump Bedminster. But gathering information on Those top tier courses, Prices are way to Much. Upper Montclair seemed Reasonable at 5k per year for 4 years as a junior Member and it does have 27 Holes which is awesome and a short ride from Hoboken. I am luckily enough in being a member to Copake Country Club.. Upstate NY were the Rents Lakehouse is located

[quote name='ke0016' timestamp='1345423770' post='5500368']
[/quote]

I agree, but I was looking the cost of living with membership vs. relocating and saving money overall.

I see what my inlaws pay to live in a house half the size of ours and it doesn't make any sense. Especially since they are paying $22K for property taxes for a house half our size.

Relocating is cheap and if you are looking to a pro career, part time work will be all you could handle.
[/quote]I paid $500 in property taxes! I live in Monroe, LA

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='golfingchuck' timestamp='1345495765' post='5505224']
[quote name='ke0016' timestamp='1345423770' post='5500368']
[/quote]

[/quote]I paid $500 in property taxes! I live in Monroe, LA
[/quote]

It's one of those things you wouldn't understand unless you go there. I paid $1100 for a house in the burbs of Nashville.

This is all off topic.

Just thought I would try to assist a fellow WRXer escape the Tax Wasteland I call New Jersey. It's sad, because the southern part where my inlaws live is very beautiful with the forests.

RBZ TP 24* Hybrid
Cleveland 588 Combo

[quote name='mtnbiker5' timestamp='1345542620' post='5508272']
I would check out Upper Montclair as its convenient for you to get to. Right off of Rt 3. I played last week and the course is nice. I would also consider High Mountain in Franklin Lakes. Another gem.
[/quote]

27 Holes is Nice for a private Club, Gives you more options and more time to get Tee Times

I grew up in east TN and currently live in the NYC metro area, and there is a pretty massive difference between the south and the northeast in terms of culture, social opportunities (meeting other young, single professionals) and career prospects

Even more so if you had grown up in northern NJ in an exclusive club like Ridgewood

I guess if you are already married with kids and are in the job you want to work at for the next 30 yrs things like saving a little on taxes moves the needle a bit, but for the avg 24yo it is probably inconsequential

Just trying to understand your question here. Assuming you're situation @ 24 years old and living in Hoboken, you're doing it because you work 5 days a week in NYC, right? Now, the fact that you are looking at clubs within an hour or so makes it seem you will be a weekend player. Why would you want the expense of joining a private club? There are more than a couple places within an hour or so drive that are upscale public courses that assumning you play 30-40 times, would be cheaper than a 5k membership, especially if you take advantage of discount cards (like @ the Crystal Springs resorts) or the twilight rates.

Nice Public layouts in NJ within ~1hour of hoboken
Royce Brook
Crystal Springs
Wild Turkey
Ballyowen
Architects
Neshanic Valley (27 holes)
Heron Glen
High Bridge Hills

You seem budget concious, which is why I don't quite understand wanting to join a private course (which may also have food mins, etc). If I'm missing something, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

MJP22: All of the courses that you listed are great. I play them often. The issue with golfing in the NY/NJ area (at least for me) is availability of tee times and relative cost.

If you're trying to play during peak season at any of the places you just listed, you need to call at least 5 days in advance if you want a decent time for a 4-some. They will also run $100+ on average. I find cost/round - especially in the NY/NJ area - to be inversely correlated with pace of play/conditions. Sure, you can spend $35 and play one of the municipal courses outside of Manhattan, but be prepared for a 7-hour 18 (read: a ton of people who can't even hit the ball) on a track that makes Central Park look like Augusta.

If you're an avid golfer, you're playing 3 times a month at minimum. Assuming $125/round and 8 months in a good season, that's ~$3,000. The extra $2,000, while not a meager amount of money, can be worth the time and hassle of having to navigate consistently-crowded publics. Not to mention the nicer facilities and fringe benefits (i.e. networking).

It is tough to find prime time tee times in northern NJ. Private clubs give you the benefit of being able to do that. As you probably know, however, the cost goes way beyond the annual membership fee. There may be food minimums, pro shop minimums, and a contribution for a Christmas fund for the staff. Tips may be regularly expected, especially if there is a guy cleaning shoes in the men's locker room. There may be mandatory club storage, for a fee. If the course needs some major work, the annual fees will increase. Also, in NJ, there is a 7% tax on just about everything, so just the 7% tax on a $5,000 membership fee can buy a few rounds somewhere else. OTOH, as someone noted, it is a better golf experience at a private club, and you can network with well-to-do people who have connections.

[quote name='jlazaro' timestamp='1347393542' post='5624637']
MJP22: All of the courses that you listed are great. I play them often. The issue with golfing in the NY/NJ area (at least for me) is availability of tee times and relative cost.

If you're trying to play during peak season at any of the places you just listed, you need to call at least 5 days in advance if you want a decent time for a 4-some. They will also run $100+ on average. I find cost/round - especially in the NY/NJ area - to be inversely correlated with pace of play/conditions. Sure, you can spend $35 and play one of the municipal courses outside of Manhattan, but be prepared for a 7-hour 18 (read: a ton of people who can't even hit the ball) on a track that makes Central Park look like Augusta.

If you're an avid golfer, you're playing 3 times a month at minimum. Assuming $125/round and 8 months in a good season, that's ~$3,000. The extra $2,000, while not a meager amount of money, can be worth the time and hassle of having to navigate consistently-crowded publics. Not to mention the nicer facilities and fringe benefits (i.e. networking).
[/quote]

Agree with this totally. Having to plan far in advance and dealing with long rounds and crowds is what made me look at a junior membership program. The extra money is worth not dealing with the hassle. Cant justify it on a per round basis, its definately a luxury but id rather not deal with headaches.

You should check out either Montammy or Alpine, both in NNJ. Both 10 mins from the GWB so that on a Friday afternoon, or just about any afternoon, easy to hop over the bridge from the City and play a round. All that being said, $5K at Ridgewood seems like a total bargain. You are not going to find anything cheaper than $5K at a private club.

As to those who question why go with a private course when there are so many public courses out there, I can tell you from personal experience, it's mainly about the feeling of family and friends at a private course and something that's pretty hard to duplicate playing at a bunch of different courses. My golf friends at my club have become my closest friends and nice to have access to the pool, food, and all that goes with private membership. Booking a tee time at my club is almost unheard of and the starter actually apologizes if you have to wait 15-20 mins. The pros get to know you and your golf game and actually care about what you're working on and if your improving. The networking you can do at a private club is also amazing and you meet some of the most amazing people and some of the nuttiest!

[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1345665303' post='5517290']
Just trying to understand your question here. Assuming you're situation @ 24 years old and living in Hoboken, you're doing it because you work 5 days a week in NYC, right? Now, the fact that you are looking at clubs within an hour or so makes it seem you will be a weekend player. Why would you want the expense of joining a private club? There are more than a couple places within an hour or so drive that are upscale public courses that assumning you play 30-40 times, would be cheaper than a 5k membership, especially if you take advantage of discount cards (like @ the Crystal Springs resorts) or the twilight rates.

Royce Brook
Crystal Springs
Wild Turkey
Ballyowen
Architects
Heron Glen
High Bridge Hills

You seem budget concious, which is why I don't quite understand wanting to join a private course (which may also have food mins, etc). If I'm missing something, let me know.
[/quote]

An hour from Hoboken? Maybe if you set your cruise control on 95 MPH

M2 Speeder 63 Tour Spec
Idea Pro 18* and 23*
TaylorMade MC 4-PW
Milled Grind 52* and 58*
Spider Tour Black

[quote name='jimmyjames' timestamp='1347454242' post='5628253']

Royce Brook
Crystal Springs
Wild Turkey
Ballyowen
Architects
Heron Glen
High Bridge Hills

[/quote]

[/quote]

At six or seven in the morning i have had no problem makin it to almost all of these in an hour or less. He did say "~"

Yup...I've played my fair share of these courses and no matter what you do or how early you play, they end up being an entire day event. Fun times, but plan to leave at 6:00 AM and get home at 6:00 PM if you're lucky.

[quote name='jimmyjames' timestamp='1347454242' post='5628253']

Royce Brook
Crystal Springs
Wild Turkey
Ballyowen
Architects
Heron Glen
High Bridge Hills

[/quote]

[/quote]

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...