Garmin G5 vs. G6

My question is do you think the G6 is worth the extra $$$$.

What are the main differences other than size of the units?

What does the G6 do or do better then the G5?

Is one better in the display or use?

I've heard talk about the Garmin not showing trees on their maps? Is that the case? Does one or the other show trees? I have some screen shots and it does not seem to show trees?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I would gladly pay a few more bucks for the G6 but do not want to if I am not getting anything from the unit that the G5 does not produce.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both, and preferred the G6 over the G5 for the following reasons:

1. G6 Screen resolution is much better to me especially in bright day light
2. G6 compact size fits better in pocket (if needed)
3. G6 Acquired courses a bit faster (both have the latest firmware)
4. G6 Active hole changes is better as well (I have to manually change to next hole on the G5 at times)

The G5 casing/housing seems much more rugged, the following are assigned to my boys: G5 goes to my 10 yrs and the G6 is being used by my 13 yrs.

[quote name='freed0m' timestamp='1347899784' post='5651705']
I have both, and preferred the G6 over the G5 for the following reasons:

1. G6 Screen resolution is much better to me especially in bright day light
2. G6 compact size fits better in pocket (if needed)
3. G6 Acquired courses a bit faster (both have the latest firmware)
4. G6 Active hole changes is better as well (I have to manually change to next hole on the G5 at times)

The G5 casing/housing seems much more rugged, the following are assigned to my boys: G5 goes to my 10 yrs and the G6 is being used by my 13 yrs.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I was curious as to the thoughts of the screen visibility and map details. Seems like you think the G6 is better in that department. I am not overly concerned about the details and extras with scoring and such. I am really just looking at which screen details are better and visible and which may be easier to use. Thanks again.

I really like my G5, I've owned it since it was first introduced without any issues, very solid construction. I agree the visibility could be a little better but if I use lithium batteries it does improve. I haven't converted to the G6 simply based on design, doesn't seem nearly as durable and honestly I do not like the smaller size...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I don't own either, but thinking about switching to Garmin. The G6 logs shot distance by club. I haven't found another GPS that does that. I may not be important to many, but I would like it on my Skycaddie SG5.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48*, 53* & 58*, Accra T90i S
Putter: LAB Golf DF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

I like the fact that the G5 uses regular batteries. I bought sanyo rechargeable batteries and I keep a spare set in my bag. These last 36 holes + by round 3, I just swap them out. I don't have to worry about whether I charged my unit the night before. I really like mine. I thin there is a comparison thread out there already and I remember reading a few critcisms about the g6, I just dont recall what they were.

Well I decided on the G5. I found it on TGW for $219 new which is $80 cheaper than the G5. I do not think the G6 is worth the extra cash for a slighly better viewing screen which to me is offset by the fact the G5 is a noticeably larger screen. I know the G6 has worldwide courses and some other scoring options (stableford/skins) but these are features I will never use. Basic stats like fairways, putts and greens are enough for me. I like that they both track distances for clubs and shots.

Two main differences I found are the overall sizes and AA battery vs. chargeable battery. I was able to handle both and for some reason I liked the G5. I know it is bigger but seems so sturdy and durable to me and is ergonomically designed so it is easy to handle with one hand.

I know the battery issue is a love hate thing but I like using batteries. It seems the rechargeable/lithium batteries get you 2 full rounds so that is fine with me. I also like being able to stash some standard AA's in my bag in the event I forget to charge them up. If you forget with the G6 battery you are out of luck. I realize this is an added expense but is worth it to me.

[quote name='freed0m' timestamp='1348843523' post='5710961']
@Flyersby99 - You'll like your new G5, it is a solid golf GPS system.
[/quote]

Freed0m- you are correct. I have used the unit twice and love it. Some say it is bulky but to me fits nice in my hand and feels rugged. I am using Duracell rechargeables and have not really had any issues with viewing the screen. I have played 2 rounds of 18 holes and the batteriers are still going. I have a set of regular AA's in my bag in the even these were to run out during the round.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions as I'm doing research on these different GPS devices, narrowing it down to the Garmin G5 vs G6.

G6 says it compiles data on your different clubs, the G5 also says it does this but makes it sound like this is something you have to access on you PC??? Does the G6 show you on the actual device or does it require PC access too? If so how is the G6 better in this feature?

How does the GPS calculate putts? Since the GPS is not on the actual ball, do you have to have the device on your person (ie. belt clip) at all times? I was thinking of getting one, then leaving it on my Clic Gear 3.0...but was wondering how it will account for my putts as I will leave my trolley off the green while putting? How does it calculate your putts?

When I search Amazon for G5's there is a "new version" and an "old version". I can't see any differences except in prices....anyone have details on the differences?

Thanks.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1350265692' post='5794369']
Questions as I'm doing research on these different GPS devices, narrowing it down to the Garmin G5 vs G6.

G6 says it compiles data on your different clubs, the G5 also says it does this but makes it sound like this is something you have to access on you PC??? Does the G6 show you on the actual device or does it require PC access too? If so how is the G6 better in this feature?

How does the GPS calculate putts? Since the GPS is not on the actual ball, do you have to have the device on your person (ie. belt clip) at all times? I was thinking of getting one, then leaving it on my Clic Gear 3.0...but was wondering how it will account for my putts as I will leave my trolley off the green while putting? How does it calculate your putts?

When I search Amazon for G5's there is a "new version" and an "old version". I can't see any differences except in prices....anyone have details on the differences?

Thanks.
[/quote]

I can't answer about putts but doesn't Amazon say "new or used" instead of old? Did you look at EBAY?

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1350306924' post='5795459']

Thanks.
[/quote]

I can't answer about putts but doesn't Amazon say "new or used" instead of old? Did you look at EBAY?
[/quote]

Number 1 says Garmin G5. Number 2 says Garmin G5 (old version). Was the "old version" not waterproof?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=garmin+g5"]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=garmin+g5[/url]

What's In The Bag 

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1350322292' post='5796427']
[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1350306924' post='5795459']

Thanks.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Number 1 says Garmin G5. Number 2 says Garmin G5 (old version). Was the "old version" not waterproof?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=garmin+g5"]http://www.amazon.co...words=garmin g5[/url]
[/quote]

The "old version" link says waterproof. I have a G5 gotten from Amazon from last year and it works great. Honestly, I don't know the difference.

Ok, thank you sir. I think I'm leaning towards the G3. I guess the stat tracking is a cool idea but it seems like I would still need to access my PC in order to look at and analyze the data. I can manually enter my FIG, GIR, putts data. The G3 will also track my shot distance so I can better learn my yardages that way. The search continues LOL....

What's In The Bag 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='therev' timestamp='1355350286' post='6058807']
I just picked up my Christmas present. I've had a Skycaddie sg3, old model forever! My new gadget is a Garmin approach g5. I just picked it up at Golfsmith for 179.00. I think that's a pretty good price. Can't wait to try it out.
[/quote]

I also have a G5. You're gonna like it.