Persimmon Drivers?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Persimmon has a very soft quiet sound on center strikes. Distance will be shorter, partly because the shafts are shorter, and partly because the COR is lower than modern drivers. Accuracy should be good on center strikes.

I don't think spin with the modern ball is a problem. I used to use wood clubs and rock hard Top Flites, which didn't spin for crap, and had no problems.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1348832616' post='5709843'] You better find some old golf balls then. I think it was bubba or another pga pro trying to hit a persimmon and he couldn't get the ball past 50 yards. The golf balls we use today just don't spin enough to get the ball in the air. [/quote]

Well, if he DID say that...I'm sure he was being facetious. I have several pers drivers and I can hit them 250+.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1348832616' post='5709843']
You better find some old golf balls then. I think it was bubba or another pga pro trying to hit a persimmon and he couldn't get the ball past 50 yards. The golf balls we use today just don't spin enough to get the ball in the air.
[/quote]
That is utter nonsense!!!!.......I have a classic set which includes persimmon driver, 3 wood and 5 wood..........they all fly Pro V1s just fine. Yet another golf myth perpetuated by repeating it over and over.
Compared to my current titanium driver (See signature) I hit the persimmon clubs about 10% shorter but just as straight and just as high. I have been on a LM with it and the spin rates are almost identical to my current "modern" set.
Take a look at Louisville Golf for some nice persimmons.
http://www.louisvillegolf.com/

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

[quote name='i am taylor(made)' timestamp='1348843433' post='5710955'] persimmons are so much better than the crap they make today. You will hit the ball shorter but you will be so much more accurate. Plus if you make a bad swing you will know it. with todays technology even a bad swing/misshit shot could be good. [/quote]

That's insane.

So you're saying you play Pers drivers?

Cleveland Classics, MacGregors, PowerBilt Citations were all good, but the inserts on some old ones might be brittle.

You may have to throttle it back a bit to ensure better contact. They're tiny compared to what we've grown accustomed to and go funky places when mishit.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

You can find some nice deals on fleabay. You can also find some folks who seemingly ingest hallucinogens before setting their auction price.

The biggest thing to do is find something with a shaft that is close to a fit for you. Then bang away.

Most persimmon drivers have a higher loft than what you might play in a Ti driver, they tend to spin the ball less and hit the ball lower, loft for loft. Don't worry too much about this, it won't be a problem unless you already play a 13° Ti driver, in which case you should look for a 2 wood.

Also, don't worry about the ball. Modern balls are not the same as the rocks of old, they'll all work. You don't need a wound ball, you don't need a low compression ball. Use what you feel like using.

As for distance, you might lose a few yards to a lower COR, and a few yards to a shorter club length, unless you're already playing a driver under 44". Aside from that, they're not really any shorter, and they're DEFINITELY more accurate. The fabled gear effect is real. It's great fun watching your heeled or toed drive coming back to the fairway.

You can find all sorts of info on Louisville Golf's website. They make new persimmons, so you could absolutely get something that fits you if you so choose. Just not as cheap as fleabay. ;)

Good luck with the potential new toy.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I loved the look of Persimmon and had Powerbilt, McGregor, Mizuno and Clevelands. All looked gorgeous but with steel shafts I was an appalling driver of the ball. Then I picked up a Joe Powell Lamaglass with an Aldila graphite shaft...fantastic club. The quality of the head was amazing, never changed shape, the varnish was bullet proof and it felt amazing. I sold it for $100 and bought a steel TM and hey presto became a much better driver!! Like old cars and watches nice to own but new is better.

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1348852007' post='5712173'] I NEVER said he said it. BUT there is a video of it somewhere. Do a search its there. [/quote]

Nah that was a joke video he did about hitting watermelons and bananas and hitting a persimmon driver out of the sand.

You guys think a persimmon driver looks scary small, check this thing out:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GOLF-CLUB-ORIZABA-MINI-WOOD-CALLED-BUSTR-LENGTH-42-RH-STEEL-SHAFT-/251145800652"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GOLF-CLUB-ORIZABA-MINI-WOOD-CALLED-BUSTR-LENGTH-42-RH-STEEL-SHAFT-/251145800652[/url]

Buddy showed up with one at our Tuesday night scramble and I hit some balls with it. Surprisingly easy and long. It actually looks smaller in person than in the pics. Definitely makes you slow it down.

If you poke around in Goodwill and other second hand/consignment type stores, you are bound to run across older wooden headed drivers and fairway woods. As other posters have said, look for Powerbilt, Hogan, Spalding, Mcgregor, and Wilson, and you should find plenty in good condition. One of my favorites from the 60s was the Wilson strata blocs which I could bomb. You might try a soft ball like the Wilson duo but,some folks do hit the ProV with wooden heads.

[quote name='dangolf' timestamp='1348832616' post='5709843']
You better find some old golf balls then. I think it was bubba or another pga pro trying to hit a persimmon and he couldn't get the ball past 50 yards. The golf balls we use today just don't spin enough to get the ball in the air.
[/quote]

Will have to find a link but remember hearing Bubba say that Ping made him a persimmon driver and he hit it over 300 with today's balls.

[quote name='Roboturner913' timestamp='1348877808' post='5714439']
I have a matching set Wilson Staff 4300 1 3 and 4. I tend to hit them a little low, but it's hard to miss a fairway unless you really screw up. [b]Compared to my Launcher 3 and 5 woods the heads aren't much smaller at all.[/b]
[/quote]

The above line that I bolded is something I think folks sometimes forget. Most folks play fairway woods, or even hybrids, that are about the same size as persimmon drivers. Sometimes, they're even smaller.

Doesn't seem to be an issue then. <shrug>

It's not a big deal playing persimmon off the tee. You lose the ability for the huge bomb, but you gain control. It seems to me most folks would benefit from that. :o

Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have a set of Wilson Staff persimmons, and a Powerbuilt given to me by an acquaintance here. The powerbuilt is my fav, with a rifle 6.0 steel shaft in it. I have hammered it out there past 280 with this thing, but my average is about 255-260. I don't swing as hard with the Staffs as they are not in as good a shape.

I loose about 20 yds on average with the persimmon vs my i20 with a clean strike on both. And if you're any kind of decent golfer you can pretty much launch these at whatever angle you want. I use ProV1s when I play my vintage clubs.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

If I could find a matching 3 and 5 for this PB driver, I'd be tempted to replace the metals in my bag. Easier to work the ball with a persimmon IMO.

I look occasionally (when I think of it) on Ebay, but haven't found any in good enough condition that I'd trust 'em. The driver still looks brand new. :D

[quote name='Bella Woods' timestamp='1348880393' post='5714693']

280 is (and was) a pretty good poke with the persimmons.
[/quote]

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

The thing I like about persimmon drivers is because of the smaller heads the sweet spot is closer to the shaft than modern drivers. I've never gotten 100% comfotable with modern supersize driver heads. Modern drivers look cartoonish compared to the classic look of persimmon. Also you can hit up with a persimmon driver but typically they are hit with a slightly descending attack angle which is something to get use to. On a good hit they feel fantastic and I'm always surprised to see how far the ball goes given the muted sound they make.

[quote name='wfrogge1' timestamp='1348875289' post='5714255']
Here is an interesting link

[url="http://www.golf.com/equipment/i-can-break-par-strong50-year-old-clubsstrong-no-problem"]http://www.golf.com/...rong-no-problem[/url]
[/quote]

What's really interesting about that is looking at the launch conditions of the two clubs. The spin rate with the persimmon is some 800 rpm lower than with his usual driver.

That's crazy stuff.

Another interesting thing, with an extreme sub-optimal launch, he was only 6 yds shorter with the persimmon, in terms of total distance.

How about that. :pimp:

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1348965957' post='5720103']
[quote name='wfrogge1' timestamp='1348875289' post='5714255']
Here is an interesting link

[url="http://www.golf.com/equipment/i-can-break-par-strong50-year-old-clubsstrong-no-problem"]http://www.golf.com/...rong-no-problem[/url]
[/quote]

What's really interesting about that is looking at the launch conditions of the two clubs. The spin rate with the persimmon is some 800 rpm lower than with his usual driver.

That's crazy stuff.

Another interesting thing, with an extreme sub-optimal launch, he was only 6 yds shorter with the persimmon, in terms of total distance.

How about that. :pimp:
[/quote]

And, if the clubs were the same length.... I'm assuming the persimmon wood was 43.5" long - the metal wood 45". Add a couple of inches and you've made up the distance with the old club.
Have a look at the fascinating topic on shafting steel shafts in the newer heads. Great read. Here's the link:
[url="wlmailhtml:{794443FC-7F1A-46D3-917A-E228E3C4288C}mid://00000002/!x-usc:http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/705558-now-this-is-how-a-cleveland-classic-should-look/unread/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/705558-now-this-is-how-a-cleveland-classic-should-look/unread/[/url]