2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

T.P. Mills v.s. Cameron

bengtson14

you could buy four or five mills customs for a couple K if you buy them at the right time :)

As for trying them.....all i can say is try and network. Ive met a few of the members on the board here and we have swapped equip, tried out each others putters Drivers ect. Thats what makes a board like this so great. good luck but i doubt you will be disapointed with a mills

I totally agree with Jim G on the proffesional series. I had a WKshop 2 and a Mizzy TPM1 and it didnt compare at all to my softail of klassic or RS ONE in feel or head weight. Still nice putters and can be had at a bargain price but the new Proffesional line is some of the best OTR stuff you can buy.

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDWELLY: that's a great putter and restoration job you did. Never mind about JGalls' comment.

It's all good and thanks for the compliment!!!

The biggest problem I see when it come to TP MILLS, Slighter, John Bryon, etc is that you have to buy one in order to try one. I didn't have to do that with my Scotty's and I like that part. I would love to drop a couple $1k on some new custom putters, but I can't do that. So I just live thru you guys and your toys :)

You can get a Mills custom for under $500. Not in the thousands at all. :) Not sure about the other putter makers.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

EDWELLY: that's a great putter and restoration job you did. Never mind about JGalls' comment.

The biggest problem I see when it come to TP MILLS, Slighter, John Bryon, etc is that you have to buy one in order to try one. I didn't have to do that with my Scotty's and I like that part. I would love to drop a couple $1k on some new custom putters, but I can't do that. So I just live thru you guys and your toys :)

You can get a Mills custom for under $500. Not in the thousands at all. (cool) Not sure about the other putter makers.

You find a lefty one let me know!!! :)

You can get a Mills custom for under $500. Not in the thousands at all. :) Not sure about the other putter makers.

I was meaning on several different putters - not just one. However, I did see a nice on the updated TP Mills site for $375 that I really liked.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

I was meaning on several different putters - not just one. However, I did see a nice on the updated TP Mills site for $375 that I really liked.

Edwelly, you make a good point. You need to know your stroke and what works for it as to the look you prefer (that is easy by looking at all the pics on this site), amount of forgiveness (heel-toe weighting, size of cavity) type of hosel that you enjoy and its placement on the head, offset, toe hang, length, loft and lie (the last three are easily adjustable). Most of David's putters feel similar - soft and solid - confidence building putters.

If you can pinpoint the variables that you need, you will enjoy the putter.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Thats why I am glad there are several putter makers and styles to fit everyone. Not everyone is going to drive a Audi/BMW but those of us who are are extremely happy. Not to say that a honda isn't a great car but its just not the same. I have had tour /protos from several of the "big names" and I will always go back to my 009 welded neck centershaft beach. Cameron= Quality, craftsmanship, just beautiful and second to none IMHO. Not to mention most of the tour putters from cameron appreciate in value.

GG

GG

For Chris or any putter historian out there, do you know if the Mills "Professional #1" is the first of that particular blade style? I also ask this question in Chris' thread regarding his recent Bettinardi blade acquisition.

T.P. was just like Karsten. He felt he could design something better than what was currently available, so he did.

The One is an original design.

jay

Going back to Cameron vs T.P Mills. The thing I like about my Mills is that I get the impression that (well, I know they have) somebody has actually touched my putter with their bare hands. With OTR Cameron's it just seems as though they were tossed off a big robotic production line and onto the shelf.

It's as if there is no sense of pride or passion goin into an OTR Cameron and that each 'new' design is just changed cosmetically to make a shed load of cash.

***Please note that this is just my opinion and that I'm not trying to slate anyones putter(s) or alter their thoughts toward either brand***

Going back to Cameron vs T.P Mills. The thing I like about my Mills is that I get the impression that (well, I know they have) somebody has actually touched my putter with their bare hands. With OTR Cameron's it just seems as though they were tossed off a big robotic production line and onto the shelf.

It's as if there is no sense of pride or passion goin into an OTR Cameron and that each 'new' design is just changed cosmetically to make a shed load of cash.

***Please note that this is just my opinion and that I'm not trying to slate anyones putter(s) or alter their thoughts toward either brand***

I don't think you can say there is no pride or passion with the OTR Camerons, there is a lot of work that goes into making putters. SC and his staff take a lot of pride in making their putters, just like we do.

There is plenty of room in the putter world for peaceful co-existence.

WE each have our own good qualities and quality is something both groups strive for on a daily basis.

Please don't let this turn into anything more than a nice conversation about different putter manufacturers.

Thanks

Jay

Good point Jay

What I should of said is that my Mills feels MORE personal or individual to me than my Pro Platinum does.

Dan.

Dan

glad you are enjoying your Tradition.

There is a lot of handwork that goes into the Professional Series. They are great putters and I appreciate you helping to spread the word.

jay

I don't honestly care how many people have touched it, I was just trying to say that Mills putters IMO are more 'unique'. I didn't mean to piss anyone off, I was just trying to make my point. Can this be the end of what I said about touching etc.

About Cameron putters, though, I must admit that I do have a few putters that I'm itching to send into the SC studio.

Cameron Tour putters are nice but I can't say how they compare to a Proto/Tour Mills because I haven't tried either. Has anyone got both? If so, how do they compare!?

I have a Circa #1 that I had refinished at the end of last year in Pro Platinum at the SC custom shop and I recently had a HandMade done by David Mills that is similar to the One, David calls it a Jacobsen. Both putters are almost indentical, the Mills head a bit bigger.

I had the Circa cut down to 34 and 1/2" and it plays and looks beautifully.

The Jacobsen is SS304 and was finished with the bead blasted satin finish. It is a gorgeous butter to look at. The head is 355g and is perfectly balanced at 34".

Both are great putters but the Jacobsen is just perfect and is my new gamer (though I am going keep the Scotty).

For value, you cannot beat TP Mills HandMades right now. It is interesting that many of the Scotty garage putters look like Mills putters and are selling for $7000 plus at Table Rock (when avavilable). David's HandMade's are usually around $500 or less.

my .02

I am really interested in a Mills putter and I would like to get one, but as I looked at his updated site, I really didn't see anything that I really wanted to get. Will Mills accept suggestions? Also, If I wanted a style similar to a Mizuno, would he be able to create it? Finally what type of carbon steel does he use? All Mills putters that I have tried seem to feel softer than anything that I have tried?

Sorry for the all the questions, but these are a few questions I have about Mills putters.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

I am really interested in a Mills putter and I would like to get one, but as I looked at his updated site, I really didn't see anything that I really wanted to get. Will Mills accept suggestions? Also, If I wanted a style similar to a Mizuno, would he be able to create it? Finally what type of carbon steel does he use? All Mills putters that I have tried seem to feel softer than anything that I have tried?

Sorry for the all the questions, but these are a few questions I have about Mills putters.

1020 carbon or 1030 carbon

we will customize to almost any whim!!

jay

1020 carbon or 1030 carbon

we will customize to almost any whim!!

jay

This is what I love about this site. It seems that anytime one has a question about something helpful people jump on to give advice, and then the actual company helps out too. Just awesome! what is the difference in softness from 1020 and 1030? I was not sure about the designs. I didn't know is Mizuno had rights to that style or Mills.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

A Mills custom for a little more than a Cameron mass-produced putter? No contest.

... very sweet. what finish is that?

That's the standard black ox job. Surprisingly, it has nice color changes in sunlight.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I don't think you can say there is no pride or passion with the OTR Camerons, there is a lot of work that goes into making putters. SC and his staff take a lot of pride in making their putters, just like we do.

There is plenty of room in the putter world for peaceful co-existence.

WE each have our own good qualities and quality is something both groups strive for on a daily basis.

Please don't let this turn into anything more than a nice conversation about different putter manufacturers.

Thanks

Jay

:crazy: ;)

Good post !

I agree - I really like to try different putters and different putter brands.

I already own two Scotty's, two Bettinardi's, Odyssey Black Swirl, YES! Callie Forged, Rife and intend to order a custom made TP Mills in both stainless steel and carbon steel very soon.

My two Scotty's and my YES! and Odyssey are Offtherack putters, and they still feel great to me - even though I know thay are not handcrafted and handmade like a TP Mills putter is.

What disappointed me a bit was the fact I could not order a totally custom made Scotty putter to my exact preferences - even if I would pay 5K$ for it. I can get a custom TP Mills for about 1/10 of that - and I will putt with the feeling of having a truely handmade putter in my hands :kewlpics:

But I still think my Scotty Studio Style 2 is one heck of a great putter - even if it is made by a freaking robot from Terminator 007 :idhitit:

This is what I love about this site. It seems that anytime one has a question about something helpful people jump on to give advice, and then the actual company helps out too. Just awesome! what is the difference in softness from 1020 and 1030? I was not sure about the designs. I didn't know is Mizuno had rights to that style or Mills.

1030 is a great deal harder than 1020 carbon steel.

I think you have 8620, 1035, 1030, 1025, 1020, 1018 - 1018 is the softest carbon steel used in the golf industry today. To my knowledge only Scratch uses the 1018 in their forged wedges.

Have a LOT more Carbon Steels.

http://www.efunda.com/materials/alloys/car...Title=AISI+1215

But as far as the debate. I own Pings- Camerons- Mills- Bettinardis-Odysseys- and make my own.

Some will try to make a debate over which is better than the other TP or Cameron. It is very hard to compare successful creativity. It's basically like Cars. I can look at Mustangs- Chargers-Impalas-GTO's and I like them all and would be proud to own any of them.

A Mills custom for a little more than a Cameron mass-produced putter? No contest.

That's the standard black ox job. Surprisingly, it has nice color changes in sunlight.

it's a pretty cool thing for sure. any idea how the bead-blasted black oxide compares to the regular black oxide ... the latter finish sounds interesting to me?

it's a pretty cool thing for sure. any idea how the bead-blasted black oxide compares to the regular black oxide ... the latter finish sounds interesting to me?

it is a much "softer" looking finish. It is not bright at all and it reduces glare to a very minimal amount if any.

We have a new finish that should be out at the end of the week, that I think everyone will really like.

thanks

jay