Rackmageddon -- a Hogan iron story

guisician

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1383346359' post='8090154']
Before I start catching up on months of back posts, I wanted to thank everyone for keeping this thread alive and get another set of Hogans up:

11 (of 35). 1968 Bounce Sole Plus 1, ser #F91024, probably Hogan Flash Reaction shafts, Lamkin Crossline Midsize grips (1-E)

[attachment=1933544:image.jpg][attachment=1933546:image.jpg][attachment=1933548:image.jpg][attachment=1933550:image.jpg][attachment=1933552:image.jpg][attachment=1933554:image.jpg][attachment=1933556:image.jpg][attachment=1933558:image.jpg]

Presenting Mr. Butterknife:

[attachment=1933560:image.jpg][attachment=1933562:image.jpg][attachment=1933564:image.jpg][attachment=1933566:image.jpg][attachment=1933568:image.jpg][attachment=1933570:image.jpg]

The slightly more often-used 7:
[attachment=1933572:image.jpg][attachment=1933574:image.jpg][attachment=1933576:image.jpg][attachment=1933578:image.jpg][attachment=1933580:image.jpg]

Love how these graphics appear on the bigger backs of the 8, 9 & Equalizer:
[attachment=1933584:image.jpg]

These are alleged to be an upstate New York pro's 1st good set that he lovingly maintained & sparingly played over the years. Whether that's true or not, this 16 certainly considers himself lucky to have come across them.
[/quote]

Gorgeous set. Do you collect any of the old print ads as well? Would love to see more of those too. Do you have any of the limited edition sets?

Titleist 910 D2, 8.5*, Aldila RIP-stiff
Titleist 910F 15*, 19*
Mizuno MP-64, 3-PW
Mizuno MP T-4 50*, 56* Vokey 60*
PING Anser

[quote name='lonestar48' timestamp='1383776306' post='8111940']
Do you collect any of the old print ads as well?
[/quote]

I don't, but search this forum for posts by < teevons >; his Hogan club knowledge is limitless and he's put up tons of amazing Hogan print media in them.

[quote name='lonestar48' timestamp='1383776306' post='8111940']
Do you have any of the limited edition sets?
[/quote]

Yes, just one; the '82 personal reissues (1st set posted in this thread). I guess the '55 Experimentals (2nd set in the thread) are part of a limited edition of sorts. I like to use them as well as collect, so just being fortunate enough to find reasonably priced sets in as good a shape as possible has been enough for me. Not trying to overstate it, but these Hogans are playable art.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

• 3 weeks later...

12. 1970 Bounce Sole 1+ - ribbon under logo. Ser #J77403, Hogan apex 3 shafts, hogan rubber grips (2-E).
[attachment=1964670:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964658:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964660:image.jpg]

6 iron detail:

[attachment=1964676:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964674:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964672:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964678:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964690:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964704:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964680:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964682:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964684:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964686:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964688:image.jpg]

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

13. 1971 Bounce Sole - heads only (2 - 9).
[attachment=1964710:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964712:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964714:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964716:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964722:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964738:image.jpg]

6 iron:
[attachment=1964740:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964742:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964744:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964746:image.jpg]
[attachment=1964748:image.jpg]

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

this thread has corrupted me. i now have hogan set no 5. hogan edge with no 4 apex shafts. i bet the shafts are worth more than the clubs. i have wanted to try this model for some time. . the edge made quite a splash when they first hit the scene and helped save the company from going under-at least for a while. i read the edge is the no2 top selling iron model of all time? i have to find a 4 and 5 iron before i really test these out. .(missing from set) but for the 6$ the rest cost me -i can afford to get a 4 and 5 from ebay.

73 hogan apex

• 2 weeks later...

At address they look the same to me , the biggest difference is the back pad and heel rounded between the two. The pictures of the Bounce sold have been rechromed and reshafted with S300, not by me, thats the way I got them and they really are nice clubs. Because of the shaft I hit them a bit higher than with Apex 4's

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1386600042' post='8272171']
Please tell me you still take these babies out and hit them on the course!
[/quote]

Haven't been out I the course with them as often as I should, Nik; need to adjust the grass-to-mat ratio in 2014.

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1386601487' post='8272235']
Guisician - how do you like the bounce sole grind compared to the round sole? I'm guessing neither is particularly bouncy or rounded by today's standards, but would love to hear an informed opinion.
[/quote]

birly-shirly,

Glad teevons answered your question so well & thoroughly. As a 16 and a relative-newbie Hogan collector, I am at least qualified to say his "informed opinion" is much better informed than mine! :)

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1386727080' post='8280925']
Guisician - how do you like the bounce sole grind compared to the round sole? I'm guessing neither is particularly bouncy or rounded by today's standards, but would love to hear an informed opinion.
[/quote]

birly-shirly,

Glad teevons answered your question so well & thoroughly. As a 16 and a relative-newbie Hogan collector, I am at least qualified to say his "informed opinion" is much better informed than mine! :)
[/quote]Did not mean to jump in before you but I think you said you did not have the Round Sole model so thats why I added a pic

according to my club id book the round sole of the bounce sole model was only made 1 year-1971.makes them pretty rare id say. book says there was a round sole version of the 72 apex. i finally got to see a set of 72 apex to compaire to the extremly popular 73-78 version. i can see why the 72 was only for 1 year. the 73 is miles ahead in desighn. the 72,s i saw were with no1 shafts -other wise i would have bought them. i offered to buy them for the wife so we could play vintage together. she said no(she doesnt know what she,s missing. vintage golf with hogans at that!)

73 hogan apex

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1386789546' post='8284383']
[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1386727080' post='8280925']
[/quote]

birly-shirly,

Glad teevons answered your question so well &amp; thoroughly. As a 16 and a relative-newbie Hogan collector, I am at least qualified to say his "informed opinion" is much better informed than mine! :)
[/quote]Did not mean to jump in before you but I think you said you did not have the Round Sole model so thats why I added a pic
[/quote]

Tim,

Your "jumping in" is always welcome and enlightening; please do so any time you like. And you're right, I don't have any Round Soles so thanks for posting pics of them.

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1386802106' post='8285373']
according to my club id book the round sole of the bounce sole model was only made 1 year-1971.makes them pretty rare id say. book says there was a round sole version of the 72 apex. i finally got to see a set of 72 apex to compaire to the extremly popular 73-78 version. i can see why the 72 was only for 1 year. the 73 is miles ahead in desighn. the 72,s i saw were with no1 shafts -other wise i would have bought them. i offered to buy them for the wife so we could play vintage together. she said no(she doesnt know what she,s missing. vintage golf with hogans at that!)
[/quote]
I'd like to add, though I have not hit the '72 Apex irons, the '72 Equalizer, does have 'great feel.' I was tempted to put one in my bag, at a time when I was looking for something with a narrower sole than most of the Hogan Equalizers, yet heavier than a PC-E. The '72's design. With its narrower sole and raised MB, tends to have less drag across the turf. Sticking with a Grind E, for right now.

[attachment=1982679:bh 72 Apex Eqlzr 007.JPG][attachment=1982681:bh 72 Apex Eqlzr 008.JPG][attachment=1982683:bh 72 Apex Eqlzr 009.JPG][attachment=1982685:bh 72 Apex Eqlzr 011.JPG]

[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1386812013' post='8286201']
Great thread. The 80s PC also was made w 2 different grinds. I played a set that had a great grind. Most of the ones you see are the model w a very sharp leading edge w almost no bevel
[/quote]
Freddie's right. Another thing that I noticed with the different PC grinds, or models, is that the set of sharper leading edge PCs that I have, runs about 1/4" shorter than the rounded sole model, almost as if that was one of years when the golfing industry, decided to "grow" standard length by a fraction.

Ol Partner, thats interesting... In 1986 after woking a morning shift in the "bag room" at the Club cleaning clubs and carts, I ventured 5 miles to a public course called "Sagamore" in Lynnfield, Ma. The Pro called "Apple" had the best and selection of used clubs. You guys would have loved what he had. He literally invented the "trade in" in our area. He had a rack 12 feet by 4, all iron sets boxed up labled with prices. He always had about 25 to 30 sets and it seemed like he always had the good stuff, lots of staffs, Hogans and Macgregors. He had a decent selection of drivers (real wood) in a big barrel, once picked up a nice MT1W.. I was currently playing a set of 85 staffs which I was getting tired of. Most of the assistants in our shop were Hogan guys, my buddy Eric the 1st assistant had the 73 apex, the guy could play, once beat Jay Siegal in the Philly amateur. That afternoon I found the nicest barely used set of Hogan PCs , the model with a more rounded leading and trailing edge. I can still remember bolting to my course and hitting them on the grass range on a briliant summer afternoon. They were the cats Meow... the off da heezy fo' sheezy, thats for sure. Thats the set I'm still looking for occassionally. I'm pretty sure Donna Summer was playing on the radio when I was hitting balls, the pool backed up right to the Range.

[quote name='freddiec' timestamp='1386852067' post='8287855']
Ol Partner, thats interesting... In 1986 after woking a morning shift in the "bag room" at the Club cleaning clubs and carts, I ventured 5 miles to a public course called "Sagamore" in Lynnfield, Ma. The Pro called "Apple" had the best and selection of used clubs. You guys would have loved what he had. He literally invented the "trade in" in our area. He had a rack 12 feet by 4, all iron sets boxed up labled with prices. He always had about 25 to 30 sets and it seemed like he always had the good stuff, lots of staffs, Hogans and Macgregors. He had a decent selection of drivers (real wood) in a big barrel, once picked up a nice MT1W.. I was currently playing a set of 85 staffs which I was getting tired of. Most of the assistants in our shop were Hogan guys, my buddy Eric the 1st assistant had the 73 apex, the guy could play, once beat Jay Siegal in the Philly amateur. That afternoon I found the nicest barely used set of Hogan PCs , the model with a more rounded leading and trailing edge. I can still remember bolting to my course and hitting them on the grass range on a briliant summer afternoon. They were the cats Meow... the off da heezy fo' sheezy, thats for sure. Thats the set I'm still looking for occassionally. I'm pretty sure Donna Summer was playing on the radio when I was hitting balls, the pool backed up right to the Range.
[/quote] Great little story, your description created a nice picture in my mind, cheers.

The course I grew up on also had a pool adjacent to holes 15 and 16. I always thought I played better to The Eagles than Led Zeppelin, but that's just me. And if you needed to put on a charge on the last few holes to pull out a match, the Stones were good for one's adrenalin.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Great forum topic.

I'm writing as another vintage Hogan irons fan.

Attached are a few pics of my circa 1961 (2i - Exploder) Slazenger Power Thrust's. All with TT Pro fit ® shafts in great condition and standard loft-lie-length.

No surprise that Slazenger PT irons play fantastically. I've complemented them with a Slazenger Golden Touch putter, a set of Mac Muirfield 20th Anniv Persimmons (D, 3W, 4W, 5W) and a late 70's laminated maple Titleist 7W. I customised the Titleist (not pictured) from a 5W that was looking worse for wear, to match the length, loft and lie of a Titleist 585h 21Deg currently in my modern bag.

All I need to complete the set is an early 60's Hogan Sand wedge and of course get around to re-gripping the irons one weekend this summer.

The entire set, including woods and putter, came from rummaging around a few second hand stores during 2013 and to date has run me around $50 NZD ($40 US).

Cheers

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='MattB_NZ' timestamp='1388124619' post='8353467']
Hi all,

Great forum topic.

I'm writing as another vintage Hogan irons fan.

Attached are a few pics of my circa 1961 (2i - Exploder) Slazenger Power Thrust's. All with TT Pro fit ® shafts in great condition and standard loft-lie-length.

No surprise that Slazenger PT irons play fantastically. I've complemented them with a Slazenger Golden Touch putter, a set of Mac Muirfield 20th Anniv Persimmons (D, 3W, 4W, 5W) and a late 70's laminated maple Titleist 7W. I customised the Titleist (not pictured) from a 5W that was looking worse for wear, to match the length, loft and lie of a Titleist 585h 21Deg currently in my modern bag.

All I need to complete the set is an early 60's Hogan Sand wedge and of course get around to re-gripping the irons one weekend this summer.

The entire set, including woods and putter, came from rummaging around a few second hand stores during 2013 and to date has run me around $50 NZD ($40 US).

Cheers
[/quote]

MattB_NZ,

Thanks for posting these pics. Love the graphic variants on the Slazenger Hogans; the huge numbers on the toe cut of your Power Thrusts are bad*ss!

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

So I have a couple Hogan wedges and several sets of older classic MacGregor iron sets, but I don't have any Hogan iron sets. So I started to research which sets I wanted to try and get my hands on and came up with several. Well Christmas came and went and I was left with about $75 in cash, being the thrift store shopper I am I decided to head that way and see what I could find. I was hoping to find a decent set of irons as I have had awesome luck finding great classic sets at this place,so I head in and see they have a ton of clubs. I began my search and lo and behold I see a Hogan Director 5 iron, then a 4 and so on until I have a set of 4-E. I was so ecstatic, though I found out these were more of a less desirable set I was still pumped because this was one of my top 3 sets I wanted to get. Here are some pics of my new irons and now a very proud owner of Hogan irons!!!
Edit: oh yeah, forgot to add I got these beauties for a whopping $11.50!!!
Shafts are Hogan Legend #3, a little soft but I like an active tip. All bands are intact, but have a lot of wear. Grips were star full cord, but dried out so I replaced them with some Lamkin rel 3gen 360*. I thought it was going to be tough getting them over the .700 butt end of the shaft, but it wasn't bad at all.

[attachment=1998649:IMG_20131228_050829.jpg]

[attachment=1998651:IMG_20131228_051535.jpg]

[attachment=1998653:IMG_20131228_052227.jpg]

[attachment=1998655:IMG_20131228_052609.jpg]

[attachment=1998657:IMG_20131228_051651.jpg]

[attachment=1998659:IMG_20131228_051306.jpg]

[attachment=1998661:IMG_20131228_052212.jpg]

TM SLDR 11° Fujikura Fuel 60
TM SLDR 15° MRC Blueboard 73x5ct
9031DF 20°~23° Altus Black Tie, ADDI 105
Cally RAZR X Forged 5-AW, PX flighted
Dynacraft CNC Forged 56°&60°