here a photo of trouser length

ronnbee

what a weird thread.

Some of those are mmmmmaybe 1/2" too long, but like the others I'd like to see a picture of what the original poster sees as a proper length.
The pants that bunch up too much are just cut wrong.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
MP-33 black oxide ti x100
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

All of these photos are too long. Typically the back of the trouser should hit about halfway between the sole and the top of your shoe at the heel. It should not hit the sole. The front of your trousers should touch your laces and naturally fold slightly, once, above that. This is called the "break". If you have more than one fold in the front of your trousers then they are too long.

This Brooks Brothers blog post shows what I'm saying: http://blog.brooksbr...k/take-a-break/

pants-break-0.jpg

I prefer medium break. A lot of younger guys wear suits with short jackets and no break, but I don't like that style. All of the pants posted above are longer than medium break and I think they could use a little hemming-- especially for golf, where you are walking so much.

well said.

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1361242719' post='6455573'] Personally, I think that pants (slacks, anyway) should be at a length that touches the top of the sole of the shoe, at the heel. Then you have them hemmed correctly so they break nicely over the shoes you are wearing them with. For golf shoes, which are usually a bit taller and thicker than dress shoes, this usually calls for a notch or a "V" to be hemmed into the bottom of the seam. Noh's pants look perfect. Goosen's pants are the proper length... they just aren't hemmed to break over the shoe properly. GMAC's pants are always perfect (no surprise there). The one you say is "downright sloppy" are actually really good. If you look closely, you will see that the seam is twisted from the side of the leg over towards the front, so the notch isn't in the correct place. They are golfers... they are active and moving around a lot, so this can happen. If he takes a couple steps, this will self correct and the notch will go back to the proper place for a nice fit. The last photo is hard to tell. Pants are tailored when you are standing up straight... not in an athletic position. Since he is mid golf shot, his knees will be slightly bent. Though the pants look too long, they may be the proper length once he stands up straight. [/quote]

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

All of these photos are too long. Typically the back of the trouser should hit about halfway between the sole and the top of your shoe at the heel. It should not hit the sole. The front of your trousers should touch your laces and naturally fold slightly, once, above that. This is called the "break". If you have more than one fold in the front of your trousers then they are too long.

This Brooks Brothers blog post shows what I'm saying: http://blog.brooksbr...k/take-a-break/

pants-break-0.jpg

I prefer medium break. A lot of younger guys wear suits with short jackets and no break, but I don't like that style. All of the pants posted above are longer than medium break and I think they could use a little hemming-- especially for golf, where you are walking so much.

Those are too short on the heel. 1/2" more material on the heel and it would be good and would not change the break.

[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1361163302' post='6449859']
Yea, Goose's pants are too long. Not as bad looking as that shirt though. Yikes!
[/quote]
LoL wow, I wonder how much TM is paying him to wear that shirt.

[quote name='CCUgolfer23' timestamp='1361232151' post='6454373']
[quote name='ronnbee' timestamp='1361229533' post='6454079']
[sub]this is downright sloppy[/sub]
[/quote]

Wow. So do you wear capris or high waters?!
[/quote]
He wears Floods

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1361248639' post='6456211']
The back of the trouser should touch the top of the sole of the shoe, and the front should hang with one crease above the laces. There is no other correct answer.
[/quote]

Actually, there is. Most tailors will tell you that for cuffed pants, the hem should be straight. See the Brooks Bros. pic, above. With a straight hem and the proper break in the front, the back will not reach the sole of your shoes.

[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1361319060' post='6461235']
[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1361248639' post='6456211']
The back of the trouser should touch the top of the sole of the shoe, and the front should hang with one crease above the laces. There is no other correct answer.
[/quote]

Actually, there is. Most tailors will tell you that for cuffed pants, the hem should be straight. See the Brooks Bros. pic, above. With a straight hem and the proper break in the front, the back will not reach the sole of your shoes.
[/quote]

Yep, if the trouser is touching the sole of the shoe it is a full break, which works well for older guys. different levels of break are nothing but personal preference as long as it is actually correctly fitted. Yes, less break is more in style right now. I would never wear a full break, if the pant is fitted well I think a partial break is plenty and with slimmer pants I'll have my pants tailored to little to no break, but I don't have a problem with guys who want a full break. Many of the pictures above though are untailored and WAY beyond a full break. Full (trouser barely touching top of sole of shoe with leg straight) should be the max. Especially for guys who are getting paid to wear the pants and could custom order them however they'd like.

pants-break-0.jpg

Those are too short on the heel. 1/2" more material on the heel and it would be good and would not change the break.

I think Brooks Brothers has it right. You guys who want to touch the heel are itching to get the bottom of the trousers stuck in the heel when you walk. Trousers don't do any good piled up on top of your shoes. This covers your socks and touches your shoe, but doesn't make your feet look heavy like the full break stuff does.

pants-break-0.jpg

I think Brooks Brothers has it right. You guys who want to touch the heel are itching to get the bottom of the trousers stuck in the heel when you walk. Trousers don't do any good piled up on top of your shoes. This covers your socks and touches your shoe, but doesn't make your feet look heavy like the full break stuff does.

1/2" more on the heel wouldn't catch and wouldn't change the break if your tailor knows what they are doing. That picture looks like the hem is straight across which is not how you are supposed to do it. But, to each their own.

Can't believe this has gone on for so long. Basic rule of men's dress: trousers go to top of sole. Much bigger issue on tour is the all too common wearing of ankle socks with trousers. It looks hideous, especially white ones when wearing black shoes and trousers.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

IMO, I rarely see any guys on the PGA tour with pants length that I like. Like jwrogers, I like a half break in my pants, but I do have a couple chinos that have a full break (I'm just too cheap to get them hemmed). Most of my pants have a half break similar to the Brooks Brothers picture above. I do get the back side hemmed slightly longer than the front though.

Half break =/= high waters. Most people just wear pants that are too long for them. If I look around at the people in LA, I'd say 80% of them wear pants that are too long.

One thing that really bugs me (that the majority of golfwrx members seem to like) is the slit that a lot of golf pants have. To me it looks funky and makes the pants look bell bottom-ish.

All in all, everything is a matter of opinion...

Taylormade RBZ Tour 10.5*
Adams Idea Pro a12 18*
Mizuno MP52 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 50* 54* 58*
Odyssey Tour Designs Black #9
WITB Link

[quote name='HoffTTM' timestamp='1361581689' post='6483007']
Can't believe this has gone on for so long. Basic rule of men's dress: trousers go to top of sole. Much bigger issue on tour is the all too common wearing of ankle socks with trousers. It looks hideous, especially white ones when wearing black shoes and trousers.
[/quote]

Really? Much bigger issue on tour is ankle socks?

Yer all a bunch of frigging Mary's on this thread.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='allenri2' timestamp='1361609295' post='6485007']
[quote name='grumpy84' timestamp='1361602932' post='6484855']
OP must be 60+years old.
[/quote]

Or European. That is the only explanation of the use of "trousers".
[/quote]

Nope it is an age thing. What about the Hilfiger Stanley. Or is that just because he wears big clumpy shoes? with narrow bottom trousers?
I go with 34" leg to get a little ruffled look on top of my spatz.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

[quote name='yukihiro' timestamp='1361608908' post='6484987']
IMO, I rarely see any guys on the PGA tour with pants length that I like. Like jwrogers, I like a half break in my pants, but I do have a couple chinos that have a full break (I'm just too cheap to get them hemmed). Most of my pants have a half break similar to the Brooks Brothers picture above. I do get the back side hemmed slightly longer than the front though.

Half break =/= high waters. Most people just wear pants that are too long for them. If I look around at the people in LA, I'd say 80% of them wear pants that are too long.

One thing that really bugs me (that the majority of golfwrx members seem to like) is the slit that a lot of golf pants have. To me it looks funky and makes the pants look bell bottom-ish.

All in all, everything is a matter of opinion...
[/quote]

Agree with you on the pant length. For those of you are into the longer pants and making the "where's the flood" comments, you will be the outcast when you grown up and have to wear suits. I see it at work all of the time. Young kids come in dressed like slobs, but think they look cool. Usually within a few months they are asking the older guys where they get their clothes tailored.

pants-break-0.jpg

They wear short jackets with no break because that's what the ads look like and they are too stupid to realize that sock and belt companies advertise too. They need the pants short, and the jacket short, to get their product seen. No one in the real world wears a suit like that. Only models getting paid, and magazines selling ad space.

Matt Kuchar is probably the worst dressed golfer on tour. I don't think it really matters if you think his pants are the correct length, and they're not, they're too short. A lot of these pants might be deemed a little long, but that first pic you posted in the OP is perfect. You have to realize too that he is bending over slightly. That BB picture is also too short by about 1/2-3/4". I'm a long time member over at StyleForum.net and trust me when I say the people that post on that forum make us look like totally normal people.

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock