Orlando, FL. (Grand Cypress)

stiffdogg06

Like the title states, any one ever been to Grand Cypress resort in Orlando, FL? I am flying out on March 4th. I'm not sure if I am more excited for the golf or for having my first week vacation from work?

TM 9.5° SLDR Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec - 6 years old
Mizuno MP-H4's S300 - 6 years old
Ping i20 15° Black Project X 6.0 - 7 years old
Scott Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand Cypress is awesome. (love the island green - about 150 yards of tragic challenge)

The courses are in great shape. The people are incredibly professional. And I would DEFINITELY look forward to it if I were in your shoes.

I play there every summer when the rates go back down. It never gets old.

While you are down here, if you have the time, there are other "must play" courses in the area. Providence in Davenport, Bella Collina in Clermont, and Disney's Magnolia are all awesome tracks well worth the visit.

Have fun while you are down here!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1361751502' post='6494825']
Grand Cypress is awesome. (love the island green - about 150 yards of tragic challenge)

The courses are in great shape. The people are incredibly professional. And I would DEFINITELY look forward to it if I were in your shoes.

While you are down here, if you have the time, there are other "must play" courses in the area. Providence in Davenport, Bella Collina in Clermont, and Disney's Magnolia are all awesome tracks well worth the visit.

[/quote]

Thanks!

We get there Monday afternoon (no golf) and then we are going to play either World Woods or Black Diamond on Tuesday and then go to Grand Cypress Wednesday-Saturday.

Scott Cameron Del Mar

[quote name='stiffdogg06' timestamp='1361751986' post='6494893']

[/quote]

Thanks!

We get there Monday afternoon (no golf) and then we are going to play either World Woods or Black Diamond on Tuesday and then go to Grand Cypress Wednesday-Saturday.
[/quote]

Which course at World Woods? Pine Barrens is AMAZING.

But, if you really want a unique Florida golf experience you have got to slip into Bella. The clubhouse alone is worth the visit. They invested millions building it.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1361752422' post='6494931']
[quote name='stiffdogg06' timestamp='1361751986' post='6494893']

[/quote]

Thanks!

[/quote]

Which course at World Woods? Pine Barrens is AMAZING.

But, if you really want a unique Florida golf experience you have got to slip into Bella. The clubhouse alone is worth the visit. They invested millions building it.
[/quote]

We'd be playing both (if we can get a tee time). I played Pine Barren's in 2006 for my graduation present but I don't remember any of it other than having A LOT of sand.

Scott Cameron Del Mar

Believe it or not when I played Pine Barrens back in June ALL of the sand was "Ground Under Repair". You got to take a free drop out of the sand no closer to the hole.

The course had received an unbelieveable amount of rain and all of the bunkers had collapsed from flooding. They were investing a ton of money getting them back into shape but it really changed the complexity and play. You could "go for it" knowing that even if you didn't make it over that horrible bunker, no need to worry because the local rule allowed complete relief.

It is my understanding that they have it completely up to snuff again.

I am telling you, while you are down here you have got to try to work Bella Collina into your playing schedule. You won't be disappointed.

No matter what, we have been up around 80 degrees of late here - I would wager that up there in Ohio it has been a bit cooler. So you are in for a real treat. Just bring some sunscreen with you - you don't want to ruin the trip with a winter burn!

Enjoy. Wish I could join you. DEFINITELY post whether or not you ended up fitting Bella into the playing schedule.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

great course. the links course (i think it's dubbed the "new course" as troyefl mentioned above) is a great course to play, as well.

i stayed at the casita right by the hole that borders the driving range, so it was a quick walk out the patio to the range. great staff and great course. the hotel itself is a bit dated but would definitely stay/play there again.

have fun.

This week can't go by fast enough. We'll also be staying at the villa's on the course.

Arrive Monday evening, Tuesday (2 rounds), Wednesday (2 rounds), Thursday (2 rounds), Friday (2 rounds, Saturday (1 round) and then leave Saturday evening.

Scott Cameron Del Mar

I played the [url="http://www.theworldofdeej.com/2012/04/grand-cypress-north-south-course.html"]North-South course at Grand Cypress[/url] over the summer and had a great experience. Of course, I'm somewhat partial because Grand Cypress is probably my favorite golf resort in Orlando. If you're staying at the Villas you're in for a treat...they just renovated most of the rooms.

Also, you mentioned playing either World Woods or Black Diamond. If you have the option to get on BD, that's the way I would go hands down...

[quote name='HitTheStick' timestamp='1361844928' post='6503163']
I played the [url="http://www.theworldofdeej.com/2012/04/grand-cypress-north-south-course.html"]North-South course at Grand Cypress[/url] over the summer and had a great experience. Of course, I'm somewhat partial because Grand Cypress is probably my favorite golf resort in Orlando. If you're staying at the Villas you're in for a treat...they just renovated most of the rooms.

Also, you mentioned playing either World Woods or Black Diamond. If you have the option to get on BD, that's the way I would go hands down...
[/quote]

I saw you were also from Florida - played Bella Collina? If not, you have got to get out there. Is unlike any other course I have ever played here in the Sunshine State.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I just e-mailed my brother (who is setting up tee times) to look at [color=#282828]Bella Collina if we can't get on BD or WW's. [/color]

Scott Cameron Del Mar

[quote name='stiffdogg06' timestamp='1361848272' post='6503527']
I just e-mailed my brother (who is setting up tee times) to look at [color=#282828]Bella Collina if we can't get on BD or WW's. [/color]
[/quote]

If you do play it you just have to let me know what you thought. No exageration - I got lost in the clubhouse, it is just that huge. Very ornate and serene. Unlike any other I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. From the minute you drive in the gate and hit the brick paver roadways until you see the mammoth clubhouse, it is a very atypical Florida golf experience.

I envy you my friend. A week of nothing but golf. You lucky dog! (pun intended of course given your user name)

Have a blast! And be sure to take enough club on the island green!

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='stiffdogg06' timestamp='1361844330' post='6503103']
This week can't go by fast enough. We'll also be staying at the villa's on the course.

Arrive Monday evening, Tuesday (2 rounds), Wednesday (2 rounds), Thursday (2 rounds), Friday (2 rounds, Saturday (1 round) and then leave Saturday evening.
[/quote]

Nine rounds in a week !!!

Hope you're strong and healthy. :)

Shambles

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1361847680' post='6503469']

[/quote]

I saw you were also from Florida - played Bella Collina? If not, you have got to get out there. Is unlike any other course I have ever played here in the Sunshine State.
[/quote]

I haven't played Bella Collina yet. I've had two outings scheduled there and both have fallen through. My buddy is getting married there in a few months so maybe that'll be my opportunity!

You'll love Grand Cypress. North, South and New are a blast.

The East Course may seem like a short pushover, but keeps you on your toes. I remember hitting a lot of 80-100 yard punch shots around it.

Spring and Fall weather here is pretty nice. (Winter doesn't suck either) Enjoy.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

[quote name='HitTheStick' timestamp='1361968532' post='6512375']
[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1361847680' post='6503469']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I haven't played Bella Collina yet. I've had two outings scheduled there and both have fallen through. My buddy is getting married there in a few months so maybe that'll be my opportunity!
[/quote]

Tell you what. PM me when you are playing (if you have room) and I will join you. Would be the first time I got to meet one of my "friends" made here on this forum. Would love the op to make a new golf buddy and Bella is an amazing track. Not typical Florida, that is for certain. Your friend's wedding is going to be memorable for sure.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Bella does have a wonderful clubhouse. However, the course is nowhere worth the drive. Average at best.

World Woods has seen better days. The greens at Pine Barrens are soggy and slow (as of last Friday).

If you're willing to drive, head to Streamsong. The best by a clear margin within 2 hours of Orlando.

[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1362004567' post='6515933']
Bella does have a wonderful clubhouse. However, the course is nowhere worth the drive. Average at best.

World Woods has seen better days. The greens at Pine Barrens are soggy and slow (as of last Friday).

If you're willing to drive, head to Streamsong. The best by a clear margin within 2 hours of Orlando.
[/quote]

Average at best?

I don't know when you played or where else you have played but Bella (at least when I played) was nearly PGA tour quality. And since I played Disney one week before the PGA arrived in October when it was "tour ready" (special promotion and only a few of us allowed on Disney's Magnolia) I can attest to the difference between an average course and one that is (well) above average.

And since he is staying in the Villas Clermont would only be about a 45 minute drive.

Unless something drastic happened to Bella since I last played there in October it is above average. Perhaps not up to the standard of Sawgrass but certainly worth a visit given the unique nature of its layout. I have played all over Florida and unless you are willing to travel up into the Panhandle there simply aren't too many elevation changes. Bella takes advantage of the natural bends, turns, and hills and really is a unique Florida golfing experience. Certainly well above average for Florida courses.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[/quote]

I am out there is June and was looking to play Grand Cypress, have ticked off the two on your list with the exception of Providence (near where we are staying) I really enjoyed Bella, What are the summer rates for Grand Cypress? $50 - $100?

I have played quite a few in the Orlando area (UK Resident) favourites are Bay Hill, Bella, Osprey Ridge (I understand they have changed 18th), Southern Dunes, Mystic Dunes, OCN

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='benkodi' timestamp='1362004567' post='6515933']

[/quote]

I have to agree here. The club house is beautiful but it is gimmicky and overdone just like the course. It is visually appealing and I'm sure that is what medic is raving about but in terms of golf there are much better tests of golf in this area. If you want a course that looks great but penalizes great golf shots in its attempt to be beautiful then Bella is your place. If you want tour quality courses (tour events played on them) then stick to Cypress. Of course there is always Bay Hill.

I have also heard that World Woods is tired and run down. Have not played it in years so am only going on what I have heard as of late.

[quote name='HitTheStick' timestamp='1362709754' post='6568143']
Are you staying at the Villas of Grand Cypress? If so, I'm here now and the renovation the resort just completed on the rooms is incredible. Easily the best golf resort accommodations in Orlando. You're gonna love it...
[/quote]

Yes, I stayed at the villa's this week. Yeah, the 14 million dollar renovation was nice. Just got home. I'll load some photos tomorrow.

Scott Cameron Del Mar

I have traveled to Orlando for the last 14 years for business in the month of February. I have played all the courses mentioned above including Bay Hill, all the Disney courses, OCN, Southern Dunes, Mystic Dunes, Grand Cypress, World Woods, Bella Colina, Metrowest, Falcons Fire, Celebration etc. They all have their pros/cons but you have to play Streamsong. It is going to be a top 100 course you can play in the US. Its fantastic. If you have the time, its absolutely a must play.

Eh, the driving range was pretty piss poor.

I did break 80 for the first time and shot 78 on the South and East courses with a double which is nice.

#1 New Course tee

P3070045_zps9bafc1b8.jpg

More of the New Course

P3080051_zpsfafd843a.jpg

One of the many gators we saw.

P3070042_zpsa3ba0571.jpg

Our Villa's we stayed at.

P3060037_zpsdcb6ec22.jpg

Island Green on the East Course.

P3060028_zps71215bd3.jpg

Our Bathroom in the villa

P3060025_zpsdb1e429b.jpg

P3060019_zps60fbb6aa.jpg

Scott Cameron Del Mar

• 1 month later...

Just played there Tuesday(new course) and yesterday(north-south) I thoroughly enjoyed myself there, I would definitely go back, I have them rated right up there with shingle creek and OCN. I have yet to play the Disney courses, Bella, ritz, Waldorf, celebration, champions, etc

Ping G410 LST - Tensi CK Series 60 X-Stiff
Ping G400 3W - PING Tour 65 X Stiff 62G
Srixon ZX 2i - UST Recoil 95 X Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW Project X Catalyst 100CW 6.5 100g
Mizuno MP-T7 - 50,54 - Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58, KBS HI-REV Flex
Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Tour Line
1.2 HC