2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bandon mid-April - Anyone else going?

spud3

I'm heading to Bandon for my first time April 16-19. Going solo, as none of my regular buddies are able to make it. Anyone else going to be there?

I will be staying in the in the Lodge, playing the Preserve on the afternoon of the 16th, then BD/OM the next day, PD/Trails next and BD again on the last day. Stopping to play Sandpines on the way down from Portland on the 15th. Played there once before and really liked it.

I'm so excited that I can hardly stand it. Been trying to get there for a long time. Meant to go in 2011 for my 50th birthday, and something always "came up." I decided this year willl be my Very Late 50th Birthday present to myself and just booked it and am letting everyone else work around me. Perhaps a little selfish, but there it is...

Probably will go with a forecaddie for the rounds. Any recommendations?

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim - I've only played Sandpines (in Florence, about 1.5 hrs north of Bandon), which is a very nice course. Bandon Crossing is near BD, but I haven't played there. If you're coming up I-5, you could play at Centennial in Medford, also a decent course. I'll be at Sandpines on April 15, Bandon the rest of the week. Enjoy the trip!

Yep - Idaho gets all the credit, but we got us some good spuds here... Thanks for the tip on Sandpines/Golfnow, soregongolfer! More $ for Bandon!

Been working on my knockdown shots during the last couple rounds. Coming along nicely. From what I've read, I'll be needing that shot at BD. Been checking the on-course cam on the BD site almost every day. Looks just too friggin' cool. Got my set of course guide books and been studying all four like it is for the Bar exam. Cannot wait..........

I went right around this time last year (my first) and the weather went from 40mph winds and raining up your pant legs to bright and sunny with not a cloud in the sky (and within 15 seconds of eachother at times). You're going to have a blast. KD shots are defiantly necessary to play BD. Also, practice your lag putting :). Can't wait to make it back!

Thanks tyshine! I've been trying to work on the long puts, but it's hard to find a practice green big enough to simulate the greens at OldMac. I know they're huge. I get some annoyed looks from other putters when I go from end-to-end at my usual course. Oh well...

23 days and counting...

I will be there last week of june,My first trip back to the states in 13yrs and its all I can think about as well.I will be staying in Ashland most of my trip and have looked into rouge valley CC which seems nice.....any other suggestions for southern oregon?

94 days & counting..

TM R1 Tp
Miura CB501's W/recoil proto's
Miura 52,56,60
Machine Damascus Steel

AFAIK, singles cannot get forecaddies. Only a foursome can.
Either way, I'd suggest getting yourself a proper bag carrying caddie or pass. There are very very few holes through the entire resort that are not plainly laid out in front of you. So if you want to lighten the load or just enjoy the experience of having one they are great, but at Bandon they are far from a requirement.

I went last Thanksgiving and then again last month as a single. I didn't miss not having one and with a push cart, 36 holes/day wasn't too much.
Whatever you choose to do, you will have a great time! :)

Edit: in regards to forcaddies, from their website
[i]In addition to caddies that carry bags, we have Group caddies available. Group caddies guide you through the course routing, give presentations of each hole, assist with all chores (i.e. bunker care) and offer advice on yardage and putts.[/i]

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks for the info duffer! I'll check with the members of whichever group I get paired with. I'm fine without a forecaddie. I may get a caddy for a round or two, just because I've never played with one. But, bottom line, I've played plenty of new courses without any help and managed to find my way to the 18th green. I'm sure I'll enjoy the experience either way.

^IIRC today is Trails' reopening - assuming things remained on schedule - or at least that is what I remember the guy in the proshop saying, when I went to play the 13 holes that were open.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='spud3' timestamp='1364242509' post='6691503']
Looking forward to reading the write-up. Is Trails opened back up? Caddy experiences? Did you go as a solo? Especially interested in that, if that's how you went, but am devouring all personal experiences with BD.
[/quote]

Trails opened on Friday. I was a member of the third group to play post-renovation :) . I went with 3 friends, one of whom caddied at Bandon the last two summers, so we none of us got a caddy.

I'm heading out to Bandon in 1.5 weeks and I am stoked! This will be trip #2, but the first one in 2002 I only played Pacific. I also already have trip #3 planned in March 2014. Our group is staying in the Chrome Lake Cottages this year, and next year it'll be Lily Pond Cottages. This year I'm flying into Portland and driving down instead of flying into North Bend. We are doing a round near Portland (maybe Pumpkin Ridge) and then driving down to play PD/OM day 2 and BD/BT day 3. Caddies are still in question, and I keep on reading to go ahead and spend $100 extra per round for someone to carry your bag if you are playing 36 holes per day. I've carried my own bag most of my golf life, prefer to walk every course, and I think I can handle 36 in a day, but the wind could be a factor. I'd hate to have a caddie for the morning round, and not the afternoon and rip the caddie off for a second loop. I keep on checking the 10 day forecast to see what the weather will be like. The wife has given me the green light for golf attire, so I have new rain pants, a new rain coat, new golf pants, and I'm debating on a second pair of golf shoes. I'm getting prepped!

[quote name='jchungum' timestamp='1364410159' post='6708221']
I'm heading out to Bandon in 1.5 weeks and I am stoked! This will be trip #2, but the first one in 2002 I only played Pacific. I also already have trip #3 planned in March 2014. Our group is staying in the Chrome Lake Cottages this year, and next year it'll be Lily Pond Cottages. This year I'm flying into Portland and driving down instead of flying into North Bend. We are doing a round near Portland (maybe Pumpkin Ridge) and then driving down to play PD/OM day 2 and BD/BT day 3. Caddies are still in question, and I keep on reading to go ahead and spend $100 extra per round for someone to carry your bag if you are playing 36 holes per day. I've carried my own bag most of my golf life, prefer to walk every course, and I think I can handle 36 in a day, but the wind could be a factor. I'd hate to have a caddie for the morning round, and not the afternoon and rip the caddie off for a second loop. I keep on checking the 10 day forecast to see what the weather will be like. The wife has given me the green light for golf attire, so I have new rain pants, a new rain coat, new golf pants, and I'm debating on a second pair of golf shoes. I'm getting prepped!
[/quote]

I had this same concern and just called up the caddy number to talk about it with them. Part of my concern was that we had booked caddies for all 8 rounds and there is a good chance we want to go at it on our own for several of the afternoon rounds. The caddy guy I talked to said it was no problem canceling an afternoon round as the caddies will be fine getting the morning loop in and having the afternoon off. He said the only thing that is tough is that if you have a caddy on the first day and then cancel the next two days you most likely won't be able to get the first day's caddy on the last because they will be working for somebody else.

Hackster - Bandon Crossings is definitely worth playing if you are looking for an offsite course. You drive right by it coming up 101. It's a fun track, and usually in very nice shape.

jchungum - Bring two pairs of shoes, and twice as many socks as days. If it's pooring, dry feet make life much better. I strongly recommend a shoe like the Nike Bandon, or gaiters if the wind is blowing when it's raining (and it always is). The problem is usually that rain pants blow up over low top shoes, so water is getting in.

Also don't forget the rain gloves!

As for caddies, they certainly help, but aren't necessary. Most of the courses have a few tricks in the routing, or some blind shots, but if you have a yardage book you'll be fine. Where the caddies earn their keep is in clubbing for the strong winds and reading putts. Sometimes you will be aiming at the ocean or gorse to get the ball on the green, and sometimes you'll hit a knockdown wedge for 180, and other times a full 3 wood from 150.

Have fun all of you making your first trip, you'll love it.

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1364414443' post='6708737']
I had this same concern and just called up the caddy number to talk about it with them. Part of my concern was that we had booked caddies for all 8 rounds and there is a good chance we want to go at it on our own for several of the afternoon rounds. The caddy guy I talked to said it was no problem canceling an afternoon round as the caddies will be fine getting the morning loop in and having the afternoon off. He said the only thing that is tough is that if you have a caddy on the first day and then cancel the next two days you most likely won't be able to get the first day's caddy on the last because they will be working for somebody else.
[/quote]

lowndes - Thanks for the info. I'm still debating on a caddie for my morning round. Maybe I'm just cheap?!? I had caddies at Whistling Straits and Irish. Didn't see the need for them, other than carrying my bag. I was too busy enjoying the golf and the scenery, and didn't care about the score. Now at Black Wolf Run, I needed someone to read the putts!

[quote name='Gachnar' timestamp='1364414630' post='6708757']
jchungum - Bring two pairs of shoes, and twice as many socks as days. If it's pooring, dry feet make life much better. I strongly recommend a shoe like the Nike Bandon, or gaiters if the wind is blowing when it's raining (and it always is). The problem is usually that rain pants blow up over low top shoes, so water is getting in.
[/quote]

Thanks Gachnar. Since I have the green light on buying new apparel, shoes will be the next thing I get for the trip!

[quote name='jchungum' timestamp='1364420879' post='6709531']
[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1364414443' post='6708737']
[/quote]

lowndes - Thanks for the info. I'm still debating on a caddie for my morning round. Maybe I'm just cheap?!? I had caddies at Whistling Straits and Irish. Didn't see the need for them, other than carrying my bag. I was too busy enjoying the golf and the scenery, and didn't care about the score. Now at Black Wolf Run, I needed someone to read the putts!
[/quote]

I am in the same boat and think I'm just going to use a caddy for the first couple of rounds and see how it goes. I actually enjoy the experience of carrying my bag and playing the game by myself but I've not experienced having a caddie much in my life so we will see how it goes. I'm not super concerned about my score either. Just want to have fun and hit some interesting shots. If it doesn't add much to my enjoyment I'll just carry my bag for the rest of the trip. Looks like we will be there at the same time.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one. I've been to Bandon 3 out of the last 4 years. Snuck a trip to Kiawah in 2010. Each trip we played 36/day for 4 days and 18 on the last day. We've had a caddy for every round. I've found them to be essential to the trip. Some of the greens on OM are crazy to read. The wind can cause all sorts of problems with club selection. There are a ton of blind shots on OM. Even if you're used to carrying your clubs, 36/day for a couple of days wears on you. If it's foggy out and you don't have a caddy, you might as well go in for the day. Dave Friedland and Frank Moody are super caddies and great company. If you see them, tell them, Mike Cohen says hello.

Bandon is as good as it gets although personally I find OM to be a distant 4th with my personal preference being PD, BD, BT, OM. The Preserve is amazing too.

Either way, caddies or no caddies, you're going to have an amazing time! We're skipping Bandon this year because my Dad is turning 70 and we're heading to SW Ireland instead. But make no mistake, we'll be back.

[quote name='BigHunk' timestamp='1364187979' post='6686161']
I will be there last week of june,My first trip back to the states in 13yrs and its all I can think about as well.I will be staying in Ashland most of my trip and have looked into rouge valley CC which seems nice.....any other suggestions for southern oregon?

94 days & counting..
[/quote]

I went to college in Ashland so I can help :). I've never played the Rogue Valley CC, but heard good things about it. 27 holes IIRC. Centennial is a good course as well. It's on the south side of Medford and very close to the freeway. Take the Phoenix exit, turn right off the exit and then take a left turn onto North Phoenix Road.

Eagle Point GC is a good course too. It's well maintained. It also has tons of sand.

Those three are your best bets. I also like Stone Ridge. It's out towards Eagle Point. It's a public course that isn't as maintained as it should be, but it's a great layout and a lot of fun to play. You can also find it on golfnow.com for pretty cheap rates.

I've never played in the Lake Shasta area, but I have heard there are two very nice courses there. A bit of a drive, but something else to consider while in Ashland.

Edit to add: If you don't care about driving about an 1.5 hours, there is a Palmer course just north of Klamath Falls. It's called the Running Y. It's an excellent course and can also be found on golfnow.

• 2 weeks later...