2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Seattle Area Courses

bereachad

I am a college golfer that is leaving my school and doing a CS internship at Amazon this summer as a SDE in Kindle Department and am wondering what courses are the easiest to get to from downtown, somewhat affordable, and are in 1/2 decent shape. I will be pretty much limited to playing on weekends, but I plan to be there from around 7am till dark working on various parts of my game so a course with a nice practice green would be much preferred.

I will also be looking to people to play with while I am up there, dates are from May 21st till the first week of August. I play to a 2.1 handicap last year, this year I am still waiting to get all my rounds for it to be calculated.

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jefferson Park is a muni that really close to you, assuming Amazon is still on North Beacon Hill, and is about 2-2.5 mi south from that building. Other muni's close to Downtown are Jackson Park and West Seattle. All three are in half decent shape and about $35 peak/primetime. And of course when you have a bit more time and are able to get outside the city, there are a bunch of great tracks within an hours drive. You will be here during a great time to play golf. If you are looking for a place to just work on your game, Interbay Golf Center is a great place.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

Ok, just an an update, Amazon placed me for my housing in Downtown Bellevue. The closes course to the hotel I was placed (an extended stay hotel for 3 months :( ) is really close to Glendale country club, but I am going to assume that this is fully private and is limited to members only. I emailed the course about a possible short term membership, but are there any other close by public courses I should look into? I believe I will have a rental car during the entire duration of the internship.

Thanks Again

You'll love the summer here. You can actually get 18 in if you tee off before 4:30-5:00, depending on pace of play. Seattle is a short commute over 520 or I90 bridge.

On the east side you might like Willows Run. It's a 36 hole facility. Newcastle is close, but I don't think it's worth the $125 green fees unless you buy into their Oki Club. Google Oki Golf for more info.

[quote name='greens hit' timestamp='1364776042' post='6733153']
You'll love the summer here. You can actually get 18 in if you tee off before 4:30-5:00, depending on pace of play. Seattle is a short commute over 520 or I90 bridge.

On the east side you might like Willows Run. It's a 36 hole facility. Newcastle is close, but I don't think it's worth the $125 green fees unless you buy into their Oki Club. Google Oki Golf for more info.
[/quote]
I think that the Newcastle tracks are great, but grossly over priced. It might make sense to get the OKI platinum card. You get six rounds to include both the Newcastle tracks and WaNat'l. Redmond Ridge is close by to Bellevue. I think there are a couple Wrx'ers here that belong to Alderra, Sahalee, and SnoRidge.You might be able to get on as a guest if you say 'pretty please". It is going to be a great season.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

If you drive 30 minutes you will find some great options. Private is the best bet if you can get on. Good ones in Bellevue like overlake, Sammamish has Sahalee, Plateau club, Aldera.

From close to further
Redmond- willows runs. two decent courses great super twilight rates
Newcastle- two good oki courses but high cost.
30 minutes south-druid's glen (some of the best par 3's in the state), washington national, Great course
30 minutes north, harbor pointe.
1 hr accross the water - def worth a day trip, Gold Mountain
1hr south- home course, one of my favorite in the state

From the looks of things I will probably go to Interbay on the nights I get off work early ( don't know what time software engineers at amazon work till) at least once a week, and then play Bellevue regularly, it ins't a bad price at all. I might buy one of those Oki Cards, but I prefer a stable place where I can work on my game rather than traveling to play a course just 1 time, I would rather be able to go and play it multiple times to see how I improved once I get used to the course.

I would be willing to travel to any of those courses though throughout the summer if anyone is going to be playing them and is looking for someone else

I live 5 minutes from Interbay and go at least once a week. It's great for ranges around here, but fully covered and mats only gets a little old. The short game area is nice and large and can just bring my own balls and work on short game for free, also double balls after 8pm under the big lights. I [i]believe [/i]Willows Run has a grass hitting area during certain months, but it's been awhile since I've been out there. I think Bellevue Muni is all around terrible, had the longest round of my life there.

Living in Bellevue is probably better from a golf accessibility standpoint IMO, since I'm not a huge fan of the Seattle Muni courses, plus I live in Queen Anne and getting in/out of the city is generally a pain.

Oki card is a pretty good deal, especially for the Twilight Rates. I think Redmond Ridge is underrated, Harbor Pointe is worth it for the back 9 but a tad over-priced, and Echo Falls is very scorable despite some bad layout decisions and the completely stupid 90yd par 3 10th. Newcastle is expensive, but has some fantastic views and is always in good shape. Mt Si is also a decent option: cheap, walkable, good conditions for a public, and nice scenery.

If you're willing to take a drive on the weekends, hit up the Home Course and Washington National, both are great. You'll love the summers in the NW, makes the other 9 months bearable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only problem in Washington is if you don't want to play complete garbage you're looking at over $60 per round. Bellevue is a horrible course in my opinion. If you don't mind driving 45 minutes it opens up a lot of your options. In my experience, I can play 36 holes at Mill Creek starting at 4pm, where if I go play a muni, you're lucky to finish 18 in under 5 hours. If you don't mind driving North Mill Creek would probably work with you on a 3 month membership. They give out memberships for young adults for 1200 a year anyways. You play about 5 rounds at any decent course in Washington and you're getting close to that number . Even the garbage courses are about $30 per round. I would rather drive for 45 minutes and play a ton of golf on a beautiful course but that's just me.

Thanks I will look into it when I get there in about two weeks or so

[quote name='kmartel' timestamp='1367337168' post='6944233']
Only problem in Washington is if you don't want to play complete garbage you're looking at over $60 per round. Bellevue is a horrible course in my opinion. If you don't mind driving 45 minutes it opens up a lot of your options. In my experience, I can play 36 holes at Mill Creek starting at 4pm, where if I go play a muni, you're lucky to finish 18 in under 5 hours. If you don't mind driving North Mill Creek would probably work with you on a 3 month membership. They give out memberships for young adults for 1200 a year anyways. You play about 5 rounds at any decent course in Washington and you're getting close to that number . Even the garbage courses are about $30 per round. I would rather drive for 45 minutes and play a ton of golf on a beautiful course but that's just me.
[/quote]

Just hit up Salish Cliffs GC today. It was hot 84º but man did Salish provide some of the most PRISTINE FAIRWAYS AND GREENS right now in the state. The greens were a little slower that what I previously remember but rolling so true. They punched over a month ago and it def does not reflect it. Greens are rolling the best out of any course I've played recently. Twilight at 3pm for $60 w/ cart and grass range time.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]