2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bought my first scotty...

Hanzbrix

Now am I a fool for playing it?
I picked up my first Scotty last night:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120073863823

In case you're wondering, this had nothing to do with Tadd's showing in Hawaii last week, I didn't even know he was using a center shaft until I went looking. What really happened is I was looking at everyone else's scotty's and said to my self "I wonder if they ever made a... " and I went looking and sure enough I found this one example of EXACTLY what I wanted, right down to the stamps.

Only problem is, now I'm wondering if I'd be a fool to actually put this thing into play. I would, of course, take lovingly good care of it; but is it going to significantly change it's long term value? I guess I don't really know how rare or desirable this thing really is or what kind of appreciation I might expect to experience if I just hung it on the wall and giggled at it for the next 5-10 years.

Now, I did buy the thing to play, not as some sort of get rich quick scheme. I have a JOB to make money, golf is how I SPEND my money. But I'd also rather not turn a $850 putter into a $150 putter over the course of a season.

Also, any advise on caring for it? How tough is the triple black finish? Do I need to keep a constant lookout for rust or will some regular maint (oil once every 3 months or something like that) pretty much do it?

Now I just need to find a headcover...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say spend a while indoors with it to make sure you like the way it rolls, and if you like it then by all means take it to the course and enjoy it. In my book, half the pride in ownership comes with making your friends jealous :drinks: . If you're careful, it wont get dinged up, and the Custom Shop will always clean it up for you at the end of your run of using it. Congrats on your purchase and I say have fun with it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Sorry to be all bad news......Its an aftermarket finish on the putter.... Did you get a good deal???? As long as you are happy with the price of your purchase.

No headcover also??

The finish might turn chalky due to it being a stainless putter and finishes don't hold up too well on stainless putters.

Great putter but.......

You spent that much without a COA??

You could have bought a Newport Beach used and sent it to Slighter to do the same thing.

In fact, the first thought that came to mind when I didn't see a COA in the description is that it was a Sligher Refinish.

I don't believe in a putter doing nothing in a house -- use it.

But if it doesn't have a COA or is not a putter done by Scotty, I'd put it back on ebay and get your money back. Or if you find it is not a Scotty, get your money back.

I'd get details on the putter. Try the Cameron Site. Never buy a high priced Cameron without checking with the Cameron Techies.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I would play it. However, I would keep a back up putter with me in case the greens have fertilizer or some weed killer stuff on them. The is the only think I have found that will tear up a putter no matter how clean you keep it. I found out the hard way :drinks:

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

Paid $200 too much for that putter IMO, especially without the original headcover (which usually brings in over $100 by itself). But if it's what you wanted than it doesnt matter what it cost. I am the same way..if I want it, and its my money, than I pull the trigger. I would however do the following:

1) If your going to game it, I would not worry about spending another $100+ on the Prototype headcover, because it screams "STEAL ME". Put a old headcover on it and be at peace when your in the clubhouse getting that coke at the turn.

2) If you game it and decide to put it up later send it back to Kevin Colbert for refinishing. (he probably was the one that put the oxide finish on this one). It is pretty durable..just dont put it up wet and you should be fine.

3) Enjoy it!

Ok, I was pretty sure I'd over-paid for it but like I said, it was exactly what I wanted. I was wondering if the finish was original because everything I'd seen about Center-shafts showed just a stainless finish but I really do like the black. Not coming with the original headcover was also a bit of a tip-off that it wasn't gonna be especially collectible.

I guess I'll give it a roll in the house for a while and if i'm still in love with it then it'll find a place in my bag. If not I'll either hang it on the wall and admire it or put it back on ebay and try to get (at least most) of my money back.

The finish is after market. There was one on here for sale two days ago for $425 in great condition and it came with a studio stainless circle T headcover. If anything the finish on that club would lesson the value of it because its a "Prototype" putter unless it was done by Cameron with a COA. But like I said before...If its what you wanted, than so be it.

That putter is incredible, way to go!

That is weak a headcover didnt come with it but oh well.

I got my first Cameron at the end of last year and now am wavering on should I play it or not.

My Circa '62 #3 tour is pretty light and it feels a little off balance taking it back.

For now ive decided to keep practicing with it and see how it goes once the weather warms.

Just get a feel for it and you'll know.

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange CK Pro TX
TM R15 15* Tensei Blue Raw AV 77

Titleist TS2 18* Tensei Pro 1K 70
TM  P7MC 4-W KBS $ Taper
TM MG 54* & 58* S400
TP Mills Sycamore 

This looks like a refinish from Black Oxide Services. Sorry about being taken from a seller that probably knew the history. IMO, this is fraud.

<edited due to posting an inaccuracy>

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I would contact PayPal and Ebay and note this putter is a fraud and get your money back. Do not delay.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Ok, I was pretty sure I'd over-paid for it but like I said, it was exactly what I wanted. I was wondering if the finish was original because everything I'd seen about Center-shafts showed just a stainless finish but I really do like the black. Not coming with the original headcover was also a bit of a tip-off that it wasn't gonna be especially collectible.

I guess I'll give it a roll in the house for a while and if i'm still in love with it then it'll find a place in my bag. If not I'll either hang it on the wall and admire it or put it back on ebay and try to get (at least most) of my money back.

Don't hang it on the wall -- it's not a collector's item. When you're done, sell it and get another putter -- Scotty or whatever fits your stroke.

Care?

Keep it away from damp headcovers, clean it immediately after using it with a damp cloth and dry it. Rinse it with tour water and dry it immediately at home. Try a little baby oil or gun oil on it. Put baby oil in your headcover.

As to headcover, don't buy a Scotty -- it screams steal me! - lots of headcover people on this site. Just yesteday there must have been 3 threads on covers. good grief.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Great Putter! :drinks: wish i had the cash :)

There is nothing great about a fraudulent putter. If throwing $400 down the toilet is great ......

Don't hang it on the wall -- it's not a collector's item. When you're done, sell it and get another putter -- Scotty or whatever fits your stroke.

Care?

Keep it away from damp headcovers, clean it immediately after using it with a damp cloth and dry it. Rinse it with tour water and dry it immediately at home. Try a little baby oil or gun oil on it. Put baby oil in your headcover.

As to headcover, don't buy a Scotty -- it screams steal me! - lots of headcover people on this site. Just yesteday there must have been 3 threads on covers. good grief.

C'mon SwingMan - I know you want that coconutless hula dancer for only $1K.

Well I sent the seller a note explaining your concerns and asking for a COA number and/or explanation of the "100% new and perfect Scotty" claim. We'll see where that goes, I guess.

I still like the putter, but as you say I don't want to throw $400 down the toilet just because someone claimed in the auction that it was a scotty. Overpaying by a couple hundred because Tadd made center shafts hot is one thing, dropping $400 on a fraud is another.

It's a putter use it. Thats what there made for. Have fun with your new toys. :drinks:

BTW please get your money back. He owes you about $350-$400 in return.

Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch

Care?

C'mon SwingMan - I know you want that coconutless hula dancer for only $1K.

I admit it -- you're right.

But I did ring up the bidding on that UK guy who bought the Scotty Headcover last year for $2,300. I just couldn't go $ 2,305.

:drinks:

Actually, I once had the itch and made a bid for a Hula Girl for $67 :) I was out of my mind to even bid on a headcover. Of course, it went for $120.

If I want to collect covers, I'll try David Mills Covers. When I buy one of his putters, I get a cover. That's about as close to collecting covers as I'll come.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

There is nothing great about a fraudulent putter. If throwing $400 down the toilet is great ......

Now Im confussed...How can you guys blame the seller and state the he sold a fraudulent putter? The auction clearly states that its triple oxide and new paint fill. IMO the buyer should have know what this was worth. The buyer wanted and paid the premium for it. Contacting Paypal and Ebay for what???

"Umm..can I please have my money back..I didnt realize that I was paying waaaay too much for this when I hit the "I agree to buy"(for the stated price) button." Dont think they will go for it.

Now Im confussed...How can you guys blame the seller and state the he sold a fraudulent putter? The auction clearly states that its triple oxide and new paint fill. IMO the buyer should have know what this was worth. The buyer wanted and paid the premium for it. Contacting Paypal and Ebay for what???

"Umm..can I please have my money back..I didnt realize that I was paying waaaay too much for this when I hit the "I agree to buy"(for the stated price) button." Dont think they will go for it.

I think you're wrong here -- the guy represents the Putter as 100% Scotty Cameron work.

Brand New And 100 % Perfect Scotty Cameron Titleist 2004 Newport 2 Beach Center Shaft PROTOTYPE Putter. This Is The Scotty Putter That Was Never Made As A Production Model So Very Rare. This Treasure Is Triple Black ( Antiglare ) With Killer Paint Fill. The Bright White Highlights Titleist And Newport 2 Beach Center Shaft. Prototype Is In Yellow And Of Course The Famous Scotty Crown Is Also In Yellow. The NP 2 Beach Has The Bright White Sight Line To Line You Up To Your Intended Target. A Lot Of Thought Went Into This Proto And It Shows !! Newport Beach Sound Slot. 35 Inches And 330 Grams. The Scotty Cameron Red Studio Grip And Correct Factory Shaft Band. No Headcover.

I think our buyer has a case -- a good and valid case for a refund if it is indeed not 100% Scotty work. He also says it is brand new, which implies that no outside work was done. Look at the description - no where does he states that any part of the putter is not original Scotty - he describes the paint job and then says A Lot Of Thought Went Into This Proto And It Shows !!, again implying that Scotty did all the work --

If it was not a Scotty original finish, he should state, "a lot of work went into this refinish and it shows!" Then he should have stated who did the refinish and whether he rolled balls with it outside or whether he bought it new and immediately sent it out for the triple black.

As I stated, a valid case for a refund if our buyer finds the seller is fraudulent in his description.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I think you're wrong here -- the guy represents the Putter as 100% Scotty Cameron work.

Brand New And 100 % Perfect Scotty Cameron Titleist 2004 Newport 2 Beach Center Shaft PROTOTYPE Putter. This Is The Scotty Putter That Was Never Made As A Production Model So Very Rare. This Treasure Is Triple Black ( Antiglare ) With Killer Paint Fill. The Bright White Highlights Titleist And Newport 2 Beach Center Shaft. Prototype Is In Yellow And Of Course The Famous Scotty Crown Is Also In Yellow. The NP 2 Beach Has The Bright White Sight Line To Line You Up To Your Intended Target. A Lot Of Thought Went Into This Proto And It Shows !! Newport Beach Sound Slot. 35 Inches And 330 Grams. The Scotty Cameron Red Studio Grip And Correct Factory Shaft Band. No Headcover.

I think our buyer has a case -- a good and valid case for a refund if it is indeed not 100% Scotty work. He also says it is brand new, which implies that no outside work was done.

As I stated, a valid case for a refund if our buyer finds the seller is fraudulent in his description.

Someone please underline where it states "WORK DONE BY SCOTTY" and just FYI, I send putters off all the time that are "BRAND NEW" to get oxided or platinum finishes put on them.