2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylormade r7 SuperQuad

I'm currently carrying this driver in the bag, and have yet to be disappointed...

I'm not going to say I hit it miles and miles down the fairway, but i can put it out there.

With the V2 shaft, it's much more what I like (heavier, easier to square, control, etc.) and I can play it very well.

I reccomend, especially because of the driver cycle taylormade runs.... you're guaranteed to have one cheap in a couple months.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great driver. I have the non tp version with a graf blue x stiff flex and i hit nothing but high penatrating bombs with it. The ball jumps off the face and has a very solid feel. I did not lose much distance on miss hits, but the only down side is that after a few rounds the bottom gets scratched up rather badly. I was able to work the ball both directions with ease. This is the best driver since the 425 tp!!

I lost a good amound of distance since getting the Superquad, probably close to 30 yards. The ball stays way too low...and I used to sky my previous driver. But the only reason I kept it is because I am hitting the ball a lot straighter with it. But that is becoming inconvenient on the long holes and it messing with my club selection..I'm guessing its the wrong shaft for me, stock Re-ax stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm torn between the Callaway Fusion FT-5 and The TaylorMade Superquad TP.

[url="http://www.3luxe.com/best_ofs/Golf_Drivers/Callaway_Fusion_FT-5"]http://www.3luxe.com/best_ofs/Golf_Drivers...way_Fusion_FT-5[/url]

[url="http://www.3luxe.com/best_ofs/Golf_Drivers/TaylorMade_SuperQuad_TP"]http://www.3luxe.com/best_ofs/Golf_Drivers...de_SuperQuad_TP[/url]

Also, does the TP version really translateinto better performance for a skilled player?

-jeff

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='snake pliskin' post='471724' date='Mar 4 2007, 11:30 AM']1 degree open is the TP version which is around 600.00. In the latest TGW catalog I got it listed the non TP version as 1 degree open ,this is incorrect,it is 1.5 degrees CLOSED.[/quote]

That's only true of the 11.5 degree version. 8.5 degree is 0.5* closed and 9.5 & 10.5 are 1 degree.
[url="http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_detail.asp?pID=167&section=specifications"]http://www.taylormadegolf.com/product_deta...=specifications[/url]

I bought my Superquad (8.5* X-stiff stock RE-AX shaft) last year after a couple of fitting sessions, during which I tried the FT-5, Titleist D1, Hi-Bore XL, Ping G5 & Rapture, Burner, and probably others I'm forgetting. The launch numbers were just so much better with the Superquad than any of the others I tried, and the trajectory and ball flight were exactly what I was looking for. I have the weights set at neutral low, which produces a penetrating flight, with either a slight draw or cut, depending on what I'm trying to do. Off-center hits lose some distance, but it still gets out there, and most misses don't go too far offline.

I haven't moved the weights since I got the club. I generally prefer to change my ball flight by altering my swing, as it gives me more flexibility.

I decided on my driver after a lot of research and testing, and this was the best one for me. My fairways hit improved from 45% to 55% from my old driver to the Superquad. Those are the kind of results that I was looking for when I decided to make the change.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BY FAR...and I have had a lot of great drivers....BY FAR the BEST driver I have hit! I am a +2.6 handicap and got the TP version that is 1 degree open (so much nicer on the eyes to look at) with a Diamana Blueboard 73g X. I also sent it to get it PURE'd which I highly recommend to EVERYONE! Dont know what it is then go here... www.sttpure.com They place the shaft so it bends consistently almost everytime meaning longer drives and straighter bombs.

Before I was hitting the Titleist T which was the best driver I've had, but I found this club on EBAY and it was teh best investment I ever made! I've only played 6 rounds with it down in florida due to the ungolfly weather here in Minnesota still and I hit 75% of my fairways.

Man, I should work for these guys lol

P.S. Diamana is an amazing shaft!

• 1 month later...

Finally figured this club out. Cut the stock REAX stock shaft down to 44", adjusted back to my preferred swing wt by changing the removable weights, TEED THE BALL UP VERY LOW (top of ball even with the top of driver at address). Now this thing bombs - I've gained 50+ yds with these simple changes. My swing speed is right at 95-100 MPH, but all I used to be able to get out of this club was a high, spinning fade that flew about 235, dropped, and rolled no where. I could usually see my ball mark next to where the ball still rested. Now with the shorter shaft, which gives me better contact, and the lower tee position, I fly the ball about 250-260, and then get lots of roll, usually 15-30 yds. I have found entirely new areas of the fairway on my home course - shots that were always 5, 6 and 7 irons are now PWs and GWs. If you don't think this club is quite right for you, consider some tweeking of the shaft, weights, and tee position before you give up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have to say i really like the superquad. the look, feel workability, and sound. but ive cracked two of them now and am having taylormade send me a tour burner. the club is nice but im not sure how well its made for me to have cracked two of the faces within two months on shots off the sweet spot.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have played the 8.5 Superquad w rombax tp 85 shaft for a season now, and I have finally dialed in the Swingweight and weight positions to optimize my flight and roll.

Be sure to mess around with the weights and buy more weights to change s/w

I find this club easy to draw or fade at will. If you hit a natural draw , I recommend putting a few grams on the outside and you won't over cook with the right to left. I am aware that the club is one degree open but this seems to work best for my draw..... now about 5-10 Yards. The worst thing you can do with the rombax is swing like an animal. Take a smooth long takeaway and let the shaft release and you will feel the effortless load and unload of the shaft. I swing 95 mph and hit this club 250-280 consistently .the ball flight is mid-high and still rolls a little even in the mucky and windy victoria bc winters lol.

You can really change your flight by your tee position with this driver. Overall I am happy to Tee off with this club and the 460 size and black face promotes confidence at address. If you can ebay one of these and want a sweet club, check it out.

R7 SQ TP 10.5* with an Accra SC 75 at 46 in, is my current gamer and booted an R7 460 TP with a Fuji VT80D.

This may be the best driver I have owned, medium high penetrating launch, with very tight shot distribution. My backup, at present is a Ping G10 also equipped with the Accra.

Distance wise the two are a match and both are very solid.

The R7 460TP, also 10.5 launched much higher with more spin and was tough to hit into the wind. The SQ is also much more solid feeling and quieter than the 460. The solid feel of the SQ is almost Titleist like (reminding me of a 983K, which in its day was the best driver I had ever hit and the equally solid 905R).

• 2 weeks later...

Best driver I have owned up to date. At first when I was still beginning and struggling with how to swing it was a bit of a challenege not understanding how to take full advantage of the driver. After a few years with it now, and reshafting it with a Diamana BB, it just launches it out there for me. I also launch it pretty low even with a BB so I was glad when TM had the 16g weights available. and I was able to increase my ball flight to gain a bit more carry. Driver looks, sounds and feels so good.

'14 Big Bertha Aldila Rogue
X2Hot Pro 15 FW Aldila Rogue
Apex Utility 21,24 UST Recoil
Apex Pro 5-PW KBS Tour
MD2 TG 52, 58, #7 Versa MXM

• 3 months later...

Picked up a 9.5 SQ Reg at Sports Authority yesterday. How about $119...That was a surprise.

Bombed it all day today. Stepped on one at 279. Currently own an R9, Adams Speedline, Hyper X among others. I sure didn't get this crazy dispersion I've read about.

I am about a 102mph ss, but this was my first experiment going to a Regular shaft. Much better results in my opinion. Smooth grooved bombs in the fairway 85% of the time beat hard jerky bombs in the fairway 50% any old day.

This SQ is a hell of a club, and it sounds like heaven to my ears. Great crack on impact.

Still have yet to find a newer TM driver that can kick it out of the bag.

It has everything I wanted in a driver: 460cc, 4 lugnuts, and a traditional shape. The R9 with FCT looks interesting, but the shape doesn't fit my eye and I don't want a driver without 4 MWT screws.

It's a little higher spinning than the original R7 TP that it replaced, but shafted with a low spinning shaft like the X-8A4 creates an outrageous combo.

When TM comes out with FCT, 4 MWT screws, 460cc and a traditional shaped head, I'll look again. Until then, it's in the bag.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I did have the superquad, best driver by far very long and great workability. Love the look of it at adress. unfortunately i cracked mine and i sent it to TMAG. They don't make it anymore and they said i might get the limited or r9. i have tried the limited a number of times but the look is ugly and hate it. Only tried the r9 a couple of times. But i don't think anything will replace the superquad

• 2 weeks later...

Just got hold on one of these TP's yesterday (B stamped) in 8.5 deg with a new Diamana Blueboard Flower 73g x-flex shaft.

WOW - superlong and straight.

The best driver I ever hit. It completed destroyed my 905R which I have played for years. All par 4's reduced to a drive and flick of a wedge.

I have tried everything new out there - Burner (too light), FT-5 tour (long, awful sound), 907 D2 (good, but not better than 905R), 909 D2 (very good), Cobra L4V (awful thing). G10 (good, but nothing special) and new Cobra S9-1 Pro (very good)

How come and oldie like this still feels so good and is so long? Is it the shaft or shaft/head combo?

How come I didn't come across this driver before. I knew of it's existance, but hadn't come across one. Were they only made in limited quantities.

This is staying in the bag for a long long time.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='actionj555' post='1499369' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:47 AM']Anyone had a V2 in their SuperQuad??[/quote]
I'd like to know as well because I'm trying to get one with a stiff V2 at 9.5* on Ebay for $145! Seems like a great deal, but it's not the only interesting deal on the bay...

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...