Long courses-

What do you consider long courses???

I would like to make this a 2 part poll but i guess you can answer the bottom too in just a sentence. What do you guys normally play for distance?? I tipically play courses that are no shorter from the tips then 7000 yards. Teh longest i have played was in a qualifier at 7800 in Indiana. It was flat and windy the longest course I do believe in the world that is not in the mountains.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Longest course I have played was the Dye Club in Myrtle Beach during a Hooters Tour tourament a few years ago. Played right at 7,500 when set up for the tourament. With a slope of 149 and course rating of 75.3 I am sure you can imagine Pete Dye didn't make it easy on us. I have also played the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and TPC at Sawgrass, both of those can be stretched quite a distance.

Here is a course on the Robert Trent Jones trail in Alabama that is over 8,000 yards. Which is not in the mountains. I do hear it is wide open.

http://www.rtjgolf.com/courses/ross_bridge/scorecard.htm

I think 71-72 is a good solid long course for me. Any longer than that and it gets a little boring, because your good shots aren't rewarded like you would like them to be.

I've played the open tees at torrey (somewhere close to 8000) and I can honestly say it wasn't fun. I can poke it out there three hundred and I was still hitting driver-3wd and barely getting pin high on some par 4s. It should be a good test of golf for bubba watson and tiger woods. Corey Pavin is F'd.

On the other hand, one of the hardest courses I ever played was only like 5800 yards. It had creeks and trees everywhere, with lots of elevation changes. It was just tough to judge and I had very few makeable birdie putts.

I have too is it really that long? IT really didn't seem it. I thought for sure the longest course i played was in Indiana- Torry is a piece of s*** golf course. Sorry for the hard marks on torry but That course is no fun and not worth the money i only payed 45 dollars but still.

I have played thanksgiving point in Utah. That is am amazing course at 7600 yards long for the nationwide tour. It plays more to 7000ish to me. I like hitting 9 irons 170! I mean a course at 7000-7200 should be the max for anything. After that the course is just long. Their is no more fun to be had and it gets boring as you said.

IT has been about 10 months since i have played it. I am up in temecula. Not to far from you. Ever play redhawk? SCGA? Bear Creek? those are some great golf courses.

Played redhawk alot- I went to SDGA and that was one we played on a semi-regular basis. SCGA is a good course too. I usually play RBI and Twin Oaks now, but one of my classmates works at torrey, so I get out there a little. I like the hilly nine holes at TCI also (the south one by the freeway, don't know what its called). Arrowood is one of the better newer ones around here that I play every now and then.

I went to the PGCC in temec for a semester and found out it was a waste of 5k a semester. So i went to palomar for a semester and played for them. Twin oaks is easy! Home course. I left there for a bunch of reasons. I played 2 on there golf team when we won state.

home course I play is about 6500. from the tips it's around 6850 which I don't find too bad. Just a couple holes that play long. My summer team's home course was 7100 which was long, but not too too long. but when the wind blew, which it almost always did...it's unbearable. 440 yard par 4's go from driver- 6 iron to driver- 3 wood-pitch. rediculous when it blows!!!!

I played a course on the RTJ Golf Trail down in Alabama, the Shoals (Fighting Joe), and from the tips it was over 8,000 yards. I played from the purple tee's (one tee up) and it played to just over 7,100 yards (still a great test). This was one of the few rounds I took a cart, and I was amazed at some of the holes from that tee..just rediculous.

Black 611 466 478 426 236 497 607 477 236 4034

Black 489 413 716 223 476 466 483 592 200 4058

http://www.rtjgolf.com/courses/the_shoals/scorecard.htm

To stay on topic, it really depends on where in the country you are playing. 7,200 yards in West Texas is totally different than 7,200 yards in the Northeast. The courses in the NE tend to be tighter and shorter (not to mention factors such as much softer ground, distance, etc.) I played a course called Diamond Back in Abilene, TX that played right around 7,000 yards and I felt like I was playing a 6500 yard course just because the ball was flying further, and drives rolled a ton further.

What is Long?

Northeast - 6900+

Arizona/West Texas - 7200+

I played a course in Cape Cod that was a little over 7,000 yards long, and I must say it wasn't as bad as some people make a 7,000 yard course out to be; the main thing is not to let big yardage numbers get to your head. Just play each course one hole at a time, each hole one shot at a time and you won't notice the difference.

But as some have said, courses under 6,000 yards are usually older courses with alot of gradient, small fairways, and alot of slopes on the greens. Those are the tough courses.

Apparently we have some deep hitters here.... and to think, I am known in my city as one of the deepest there is.

Were are you at?? I pound the ball but i hit it way to damn high-- It would be fun to get a GOLFWRXS tourney going-- that would be cool. Get the 4 regions to have tourneys and then the winners meet somewhere and play like a 54 hole stroke play somewhere!

I play a 6600 yard course, but in Ireland that's similar to a 7000 yard course because the ball doesn't travel over here, due to humidity, at sea level etc. The longest I have played is 6,900 in Ireland and I was hitting long irons and woods all day. Great for the golf. In Spain I played a 7000 yarder which will host the Spanish Open and I was hiting it much further, mid irons were more common than the long irons in Ireland.

Apparently we have some deep hitters here.... and to think, I am known in my city as one of the deepest there is.

Were are you at?? I pound the ball but i hit it way to damn high-- It would be fun to get a GOLFWRXS tourney going-- that would be cool. Get the 4 regions to have tourneys and then the winners meet somewhere and play like a 54 hole stroke play somewhere!

Your in the junior forum remember? I'm sure there aren't many juniors here who have the time, nor the funds to spend traveling around for a Golf WRX tournament. Most juniors here are trying to save up for clubs, schooling or getting their parents to buy them stuff.

Golfer Gavin you have to remember on this forum people can say w/e they want, seriously how many juniors on here do you believe when they say how far they hit it? I know from experience 2 years ago I thought I hit the ball over 310 every driver just by taking rough measurements, now I know when I hit one good its going 290-300 unless I really really pound it.

Think about it this way...the leading driver on the PGA tour is what 310 average? Average drive is what 290? So theres no way all these juniors average driving the ball over 300 yards at 14,15,16,17,18...

So golfer gavin do what I do and just go along with them, don't try and question it just let them type what they want. It's not hurting you if they say they can drive it 330, its just inflating an ego that one day will be popped.

I would have no issue with setting up some sort of outing in the Northeast at my course, just need to get an idea as to how many people would be interested.

Anyway, sometimes people lie online, but sometimes what people are saying is actually the truth. A few of the members here are known and have proven themselves to be really big hitters.

Lets not let the purpose of this thread get scewed into a long hitter bashing fest.

Thank you,

Vince

Jr. Mod Squad

Your in the junior forum remember? I'm sure there aren't many juniors here who have the time, nor the funds to spend traveling around for a Golf WRX tournament. Most juniors here are trying to save up for clubs, schooling or getting their parents to buy them stuff.

Golfer Gavin you have to remember on this forum people can say w/e they want, seriously how many juniors on here do you believe when they say how far they hit it? I know from experience 2 years ago I thought I hit the ball over 310 every driver just by taking rough measurements, now I know when I hit one good its going 290-300 unless I really really pound it.

Think about it this way...the leading driver on the PGA tour is what 310 average? Average drive is what 290? So theres no way all these juniors average driving the ball over 300 yards at 14,15,16,17,18...

So golfer gavin do what I do and just go along with them, don't try and question it just let them type what they want. It's not hurting you if they say they can drive it 330, its just inflating an ego that one day will be popped.

Hey i will agree with you on the distance thing about 40%. The reason the tour guys hit it so far is there fairways play like the hihway you drive on. I have played in a lot of mini tour and California state open. What they do is make the fairways hard and fasst and the rough deep so you get two things. One is the ability to hammer a ball 340-350 with roll and then also getting yourself into a load of crap if you spray it just a little bit. I can tell you i have hit many a balls past 300 and i just turned 20. I have also hit my share of golf balls not going past 260 too. It really depends on the course and the weather at the time your playing.

Next time you watch a pga tour event watch the roll after a driver has landed they roll between 30-40 yards- 90% of the time. When you see a tour pro smash a 3 wood 300 yards - that rolled a great deal they are mostly like you and me but i can't putt and they can! I can battle that fact all day long! :)

Where are you at in the northeast??? Can you get us out on a TPC course up there??? I am willing to fork over some money for it too.

I play a 6600 yard course, but in Ireland that's similar to a 7000 yard course because the ball doesn't travel over here, due to humidity, at sea level etc. The longest I have played is 6,900 in Ireland and I was hitting long irons and woods all day. Great for the golf. In Spain I played a 7000 yarder which will host the Spanish Open and I was hiting it much further, mid irons were more common than the long irons in Ireland.

Hey when i was in ireland 2 summers ago i played some courses-- Do these sound familiar??

I played druids Heath-- druids glen- the glen was an amazing course!!! WOW.

Druids heath form the tips at 7500 yards the pro told my dad and I they have only seen tour guys play back there. The words they used were stupid and inhuman. That was them describing the playing conditions from the tee boxes! It was great.

The k-club. Damnit there are so many more. I loved Ireland, I went to scottland too but the golf is really nice I think the courses are a tad bit easier than they are in the states.

Where are you at in the northeast??? Can you get us out on a TPC course up there??? I am willing to fork over some money for it too.

I regards to a northeast outing:

No TPC courses, but I'd be willing to organize an event at one of two places.

The first is more budget wise for an event.

Orchard Creek was rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest. Its an okay course, my home course, but the next one I've listed is so much better. This course you're looking at a $60 per person minimum, and up from there to include lunch, prizes, etc. with an extra charge for each. http://orchardcreek.com

Saratoga National, one of the top 100 public courses in the world as rated by Golf Digest, number 57 to be exact.

May 21 until July 15 (mondays through wedsdays), is the cheapest summer deal per person ($140) on an outing they provide. After that date, the price skyrockets to around $195. I like this package better than the first based on 1, the course would be a better test for finding the best golfer (slope of 147), and 2, the price includes food, prizes, range, shop gift card, and some other things. http://www.golfsaratoga.com

If thats too much, and I get enough intrest, we could just pay greens fees at each course ($35 and $130 respectively) and hold an award thing somewhere else.

Finally, if niether of those are an option, the Turning Stone courses are supposed to be spectacular, but the price of an outing would be very expensive.

I can start this in a new thread if there is enough intrest.

Sounds like you played some biggies there :) Druids Glen has hosted the Seve Trophy twice and is a really good parkland course, top 10 parklands in Ireland. Haven't heard much on the Heath except that it's a good course. K Club of course is a very Americanised course with Arnie designing it. Wouldn't you agree about the less distance thing in Ireland?