2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Chambers Bay

Mr22putt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played it 3 weeks ago.

Raining slightly at the clubhouse so I geared up. They shuttled me down to the range, where it proceeded to let loose and rain sideways while I warmed up...lol. By the time they took me over to the starters shack, it had cleared up and we enjoyed a beautiful morning with zero rain.

Played with a local member and had an awesome caddie named Chris. I always play with a caddie, as I think it makes a huge difference. The really good ones like Chris will learn your distances right away and on the greens is where they really earn their money. It isn't essential, but well worth it, imo.

They informed me that all of the actual construction is complete. There is nothing at all that impacts play. The one green (#7) was the last part done so it runs significantly slower than everything else. You can see where they are going to start bringing fairways in and tightening it up. I can't imagine how tough it is going to play when they set it up for the tournament. They have a tee box on the par 3 15th that will put the pros at something like 240 or 250 yards...lol. Not a huge deal for the pros...except that 95% of the time there is a significant wind blowing directly into your face. If they let the fescue grow deep, on top of the typical US Open rough it is going to be a nasty place.

Course was in very good condition other than the aforementioned #7 green.

Was also cool seeing Casey Martin as he was out scouting a junior tournament for his college.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1367545408' post='6961449']
Hi
Any played it recently.
What were the conditions of the tee blocks, fairways & greens.
I assume they are still under construction for the 2015 USO....how does it interfere with play.
Do you really need a caddy.

Thx in advance for your feedback.
[/quote]

I played it last July, so can't comment on current conditions, but I highly recommend a caddie. It definitely went from a good to great round with one.

I did a review of the course as well:

[url="http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/"]http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/[/url]

Have fun!

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1367730545' post='6972754']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1367729368' post='6972696']
Hi Guys
Thx for your replies.
Hmmmmm....I guess CB is not that popular.
[/quote]
It's not. Over priced and the staff is not friendly. The course is beautiful, but the greens are hit and miss so I only play it 2-3 times per year.
[/quote]

Interesting opinion.

I only paid $120 as a non-resident at the start of April. That is an absolute steal for the quality of the track, and you get a discounted rate as a local, no? Sure beats the $220 at Torrey for non-residents on an inferior course. Fwiw, I play both, pretty much annually.

Everyone has always been super friendly and I've been well taken care of. The caddie program adds to an already awesome experience. Only negative is actually getting there, imo.

Sounds like it's a case of locals taking for granted what they have readily available to them. ;)

I've read both good and poor reviews of CB.
Based on trying to obtain an on-line tee time...CB doesn't seem all that busy.....which makes me feel it's a course that golfers don't play frequently and have no desire to do so.
Other premium public tracks like Torrey & Blackpage Black are quite difficult to obtain a tee time.

I've read CB has had many issues with their fescue greens.....I think Bandon has fescue too.....there are many Bandon reviews and I've yet to read 1 -ve review.

I love the track. I played it several times when it first open. It has gone through a lot getting the greens right. The course itself is wonderful in my opinion. I have no idea how the greens are playing now as I haven't been up to the PNW in about a year, but I think it is a must play.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I was pretty high on Chambers when it first opened and have now played it a few times - greens were terrible last June when I played !!!!! no discount and there should have been when conditons are that bad in summer. If you play watch the yardage as many shots are uphill making some par 4's difficult to reach.

Anyways check out Wine Valley golf course in Walla Walla - not a true links with fescue grasses but plays really firm and fast and has an ubelievably high fun factor - much more so than Chambers !!!!

I was there in Feb. this year....it's beyond me how this course will ever host a US Open in 2 years. The Fescue greens have not improved since day one. Just because it works well in Southern Oregon, means nothing this far up North. Weather up here has been perfect to get greens into awesome shape, but I m not sure how they are since I was there last! The best in the world would never putt on greens like these...time will tell.

What changes were made to the course seem minimal to me....I did not even notice a new green for #7!

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1367802612' post='6976374']
I've read both good and poor reviews of CB.
Based on trying to obtain an on-line tee time...CB doesn't seem all that busy.....which makes me feel it's a course that golfers don't play frequently and have no desire to do so.
Other premium public tracks like Torrey & Blackpage Black are quite difficult to obtain a tee time.[/quote]

While I love Torrey too, and as I've mentioned I play it pretty much every year as we have a place nearby, Chambers is a much better golf course. Torrey, as a layout, isn't actually that spectacular, other than the views along the ocean and a few of the better holes. Greens can be rough there too with the number of rounds they put through annually. Price is tough to swallow as a non-resident compared to other premium courses that I've played throughout NA. Still cool to play a public US Open/Tour stop.

[quote]I've read CB has had many issues with their fescue greens.....I think Bandon has fescue too.....there are many Bandon reviews and I've yet to read 1 -ve review.
[/quote]

The greens roll very true. As mentioned, #7 is significantly slower but will even out once it fully takes and they start cutting it down properly. I'm obviously a fan, it's not in my top 5 but definitely in my top 10.

I've read CB has had many issues with their fescue greens.....I think Bandon has fescue too.....there are many Bandon reviews and I've yet to read 1 -ve review.
[/quote]

Bandon has had a lotlonger for the greens to establish as well and fescue greens take a long time to get into shape (especially when the USGA keeps making you tear up sections and changing them).

That being said Pacific Dunes at Bandon ( it seems to have spared Bandon, Old MAc and Trails so far) has got Poa Annua invading their fescue greens. The last few times I have played it the greens have been HORRIBLE in the afternoon and I grew up in Southern California and am used to Poa. Yet I haven't seen a single person on the forums bring this up. I am guessing it is because they are so overwhelmed just by going to Bandon DUnes.

WITB:

[quote name='joe perry' timestamp='1367811471' post='6977372']
I was pretty high on Chambers when it first opened and have now played it a few times - greens were terrible last June when I played !!!!! no discount and there should have been when conditons are that bad in summer. If you play watch the yardage as many shots are uphill making some par 4's difficult to reach.

Anyways check out Wine Valley golf course in Walla Walla - not a true links with fescue grasses but plays really firm and fast and has an ubelievably high fun factor - much more so than Chambers !!!!
[/quote]

LOL...Walla Walla and Seattle are so close together, why not just pop opver to Walla Walla? You would only need to drive across the entire state.

[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1367844620' post='6978452']
[/quote]

Bandon has had a lotlonger for the greens to establish as well and fescue greens take a long time to get into shape (especially when the USGA keeps making you tear up sections and changing them).

That being said Pacific Dunes at Bandon ( it seems to have spared Bandon, Old MAc and Trails so far) has got Poa Annua invading their fescue greens. The last few times I have played it the greens have been HORRIBLE in the afternoon and I grew up in Southern California and am used to Poa. Yet I haven't seen a single person on the forums bring this up. I am guessing it is because they are so overwhelmed just by going to Bandon DUnes.
[/quote]
Explain "horrible in the afternoon"?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I've played Chambers once last year while #7 was still playing as a temp and once so far this year after #7 became a full hole. I would say the course overall is great. Love the layout, no holes are boring. The only complaint I would have are the greens. CB is the only "links" course that I've ever played so I don't know if that's how the greens should be but it doesn't sound like it. The greens are not very receptive to spin so make sure you calculate rollout. They roll slower than you'd think and are always sandy.

For the money..... I'd play it once a year since it's in my backyard. We just have so many other courses that are great with much better prices in the Seattle area.

Titleist TS2 9.5
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist 913 19*
Adams CMB 3-P X100
Vokey SM6 52* & 58*
Nike Method 006

Hi all
Thx for your continual feedback.
Obviously, I need to make my own judgement.....it's a 3+ hour drive for me.
I was to play it in Feb 2011 while I was down in Seattle for my Bday.....but woke up Sunday morning and it was 35*F, windy and rainy and said....no thanks.

I think the USGA can make it right...but ultimately Mother Nature rules.
CB was up here for the Vanc Golf Show....they said starting in 2011....there was a F/T UGSA there and the USGA would be adding a F/T staff each year heading up to 2015....if anybody has the ability to turn things around...it's the USGA.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1367813093' post='6977518']

Torrey, as a layout, isn't actually that spectacular, other than the views along the ocean and a few of the better holes. Greens can be rough there too with the number of rounds they put through annually. Price is tough to swallow as a non-resident compared to other premium courses that I've played throughout NA. Still cool to play a public US Open/Tour stop.

[/quote]

I've played Harding Park in San Fran twice....luckily I didn't have to pay...corporate thing.....for something like about $190??? including cart....I didn't think it was worth the money.

Yet there are some really unbelievable no-name muni's in the US that don't charge a premium for non-residents that are amazing value.

Mr22putt - Living that close, you owe it to yourself to play Chambers Bay. An outstanding course and a thrill to play. The reports of poor conditions are most often overstated by those who expect a course to look like Augusta. It's a links course and looks and plays like a links course. The fact that the fescue does not resemble the "normal" turf in terms of the lush green presentation typical in the NW, doesn't mean the playability is affected. In fact, playability is enhanced by the sand base and the fescue turf that allows an endless variety of shots to be played using the contour of the ground to feed the ball to the hole. It is a VERY different golf experience from the typical American style golf course, but one that is absolutely FUN TO PLAY and highly recommended by me.

Now I can't speak to value. The price is expensive and everyone has a different idea of value. The late sunsets in June and the Sundown rate make for an excellent value from my perspective.

Is a caddy necessary? Not really, but they can certainly show you a lot of stuff you are not going to figure out on your own. As well, it's a pretty hilly course and if you are not used to walking and carrying your own, it's nice to have someone else shoulder the load.

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1367858345' post='6979798']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Poa annua grows extremely fast and blotchy, Fescue has huge nap and lays down flat into the afternoon. Mix the two and you can magine putting on a pool table with patches of broccoli heads between you and the hole. That is what I mean by "horrible in the afternoon".

Of course since you live in Bandon I assume you are baiting me. That has been my experience playing in the ORPGA event there the last two years though.

WITB:

I've played Chambers a couple times a year since it opened. I always thought the slow (constantly sandy) greens were kind of a drag, but...played in the Puget Sound Scratch tournament out there late last summer and the greens were awesome. Fast, firm, true. It was alot of fun.

I believe that in the last year they hired away a superintendent from Bandon Dunes in order to get someone who'd worked more with fescue. (Don't quote me, just a rumor I think I remember hearing....)

[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1367888063' post='6982604']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1367858345' post='6979798']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Poa annua grows extremely fast and blotchy, Fescue has huge nap and lays down flat into the afternoon. Mix the two and you can magine putting on a pool table with patches of broccoli heads between you and the hole. That is what I mean by "horrible in the afternoon".

Of course since you live in Bandon I assume you are baiting me. That has been my experience playing in the ORPGA event there the last two years though.
[/quote]
That's a fair assessment. Cross contamination is a problem and working in an environmentally sensitive region proves to be a hurdle.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I've played there 4 times this year, including a tournament a couple weeks ago. I have nothing but good things to say about the course. There are a number of very memorable holes, and the mix of a links course with the amount of elevation change is unique in a good way. The greens roll true, and aren't terribly fast, but as someone already alluded to you wouldn't want them to be given all the contours.

Also, to agree with what someone else already said, it's good to take a caddy, and I'd recommend Matt G. or J.Z. if they're available - both do a good job of learning your game quickly and I think more importantly do a good job of pointing things out about the course / area that you wouldn't know otherwise.

Played there on April 26, 36 holes. Really thought a lot of the caddies with our group and the caddy master (who is a stick I hear). Layout is very fun and creative. Conditions a little slow, but very true rolls.

Absolutely thought 17 was an unfair green, otherwise everything else was stellar and we had a Chamber of Commerce day!

I do agree that there is a lot to do for the open (like they need to start bussing people in there TODAY) because there isnt much access.

A great staff, a great restaurant, great setting. Fair pricing in April.

Thanks,
Robert

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 10.5 (N-1 9.5) w Speeder 661 vi

Callaway AI SMOKE Max 15 (N+1) w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 18 w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE Hybrids 4, 5 w Ventus Blue 8x/9x (in the build shop)
PXG GEN 5 0311T 6-W KBS Tour 120 Black

Titleist Wedgeworks Raw 50.08M (50.5), 56.08M (57), PXG SDII Raw 60.07 Wide (61) 
LAB Link.1 34.5/72 H