• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1367944821' post='6986096']
[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1367888063' post='6982604']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1367858345' post='6979798']
[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1367844620' post='6978452']
That being said Pacific Dunes at Bandon ( it seems to have spared Bandon, Old MAc and Trails so far) has got Poa Annua invading their fescue greens. The last few times I have played it the greens have been HORRIBLE in the afternoon and I grew up in Southern California and am used to Poa. Yet I haven't seen a single person on the forums bring this up. I am guessing it is because they are so overwhelmed just by going to Bandon DUnes.
[/quote]
Explain "horrible in the afternoon"?
[/quote]

Poa annua grows extremely fast and blotchy, Fescue has huge nap and lays down flat into the afternoon. Mix the two and you can magine putting on a pool table with patches of broccoli heads between you and the hole. That is what I mean by "horrible in the afternoon".

Of course since you live in Bandon I assume you are baiting me. That has been my experience playing in the ORPGA event there the last two years though.
[/quote]
That's a fair assessment. Cross contamination is a problem and working in an environmentally sensitive region proves to be a hurdle.
[/quote]

I just got back from Bandon. Greens at PD were definitely in way worse shape than when I last played it 6 years ago. The Poa is really coming in. I played in the morning so could have been worse.

I agree that their conditions get overlooked due to being overwhelmed by the euphoria of being there.

Despite their condition, it would not prevent me from playing it.

Had a chance to sneak out for 18 this morning at Chambers Bay. First group out and really glad that I made the effort to combine with work trip.

Played with a local who was great resource and very accommodating with tons of course knowledge. Started out with birdie at #1, front side of 39 despite 2 three puts and stood +2 through 13 holes. Feel apart on last 5 holes with 4 bogeys and a double but pretty happy with 80 during first round.

Whole course is literally within the biggest stadium, can't wait to see what they do for US Open. Some of the tees that they will play from are just silly...

[attachment=1717150:Chambers Bay #14.jpg]

[attachment=1717152:Chambers Bay #15.jpg]

Done Bethpage, Erin Hills and Chambers Bay. What is next??

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

JAWS RAW KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

I thought that the course was in good shape. Greens were a little thick but from everything I have read, it's coming along nicely. Local whom I played with agreed that it's in much better shape. Very fun course with so many options on each hole. Enjoy!

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

JAWS RAW KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

[quote name='ProBowler' timestamp='1370491813' post='7179546']
How were the conditions ? ........ Going out there July 18 - 21 for a GCAT event
[/quote]

ProBowler, the condition to ever worry about at Chambers are the greens....I will be interested in your thoughts after your round. I know you will love the course and layout, but I will be waiting to hear about the greens.

• 3 months later...

This course is just plain awesome. Played it for the first time recently. I have played near half of the top 20 public courses in the US and this one is right in that class no question. Yes there were a couple greens that had been reworked and weren't in 100% shape but they rolled true and very quick down grain. Lots of options for each shot around the greens that's for sure. Offline tee shots are very forgiving but offline approach shots can leave you with an impossible up and down. Nearly every hole has a side that's ok to miss on while the other side is another story.

Bottom line is the USGA has selected a very unique course and its well worth the money to play it.

• 3 months later...

Great reviews so far! I am going to be going out to take advantage of the winter rates with a buddy at the end of January. We are going to try to get out early and play 36. I have a few questions.

What is the average round time for a foursome or twosome?
What should I know about playing a links course?
What should I know about playing THIS links course?
Anyone want to impart any local knowledge?

Thanks!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1387909529' post='8344261']
Great reviews so far! I am going to be going out to take advantage of the winter rates with a buddy at the end of January. We are going to try to get out early and play 36. I have a few questions.

What is the average round time for a foursome or twosome?
What should I know about playing a links course?
What should I know about playing THIS links course?
Anyone want to impart any local knowledge?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Solid 4 hours would be my guess if the course is light.....36 without a caddie for one round carrying will be taxing. Main issues are overheating which will drain you, so have layers on that you know that you can reduce....just means more weight in your bag later on.

I found that I had zero need for my 58 degree wedge there....one less club = less weight too! Lies are tight high lofted low bounce wedges are not what is needed out there....lots of running the ball up will be in play.

Stay away from fairway waste areas....like on #4 and # 7 mainly....uphill waste areas with foot prints every where spells doom.

Get creative out there....that is half the fun. The course will allow this in spots....love using backstops, side slopes around the greens to be able to hit shots that one never gets a chance to do else where. If you do not worry about score so much, these are a must try.

Play the correct tees so you can enjoy it the first time out.

Be ready for plenty of roll out and clean pants!

Hit driver on hole #12
Make sure that your buddy goes first on hole #9 and club off of him.
Hit like at least 2 clubs more on hole #7 on your second shot...don't fall for 1 to 1.5
Greens #1, #4, #7, #12, and #13 might slower then the rest.

Bring a camera...I have seen Eagles, bald and golden...porpoise off shore, and cool ships.

Holes that I like are....#10, 11, 5, 14 thru 17

Stay in touch if you have a spot open

played CB about 5 times since it opened, and have never had a quick round, whether in June or September.

Also, since there are no powercarts, it really helps to be in shape. For me, it is a tougher walk than any of the Bandon courses (except for perhaps Bandon Trails).

36 holes in one day at CB is a good workout.

It isn't a links course.

If you get around in 4 1/2 you'll be playing quickly... lol.

The caddies are worth the money. Trust them.

I played on Nov 9 and they were on a couple temps as they have completely rebuilt greens for the Open. Several high traffic landing areas are netted to try to minimize damage.

Great course all around, imo.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1388023638' post='8348447']
It isn't a links course.

If you get around in 4 1/2 you'll be playing quickly... lol.

The caddies are worth the money. Trust them.

I played on Nov 9 and they were on a couple temps as they have completely rebuilt greens for the Open. Several high traffic landing areas are netted to try to minimize damage.

Great course all around, imo.
[/quote]

They have rebuilt how many greens now in order to have them ready for 2015....like 5-6 and some more then once?

Last time there in May, #1 was a total mess which is the original green but totally overrun by something other then fescue (much bigger blade)
#4 had a giant sod patch in it and that was after it was "redone" and the same for #13 which was also "redone"...patches on redone greens! WTF?
And if I remember right #7 was redone and not looking to good either. Money is being poured in, but someone got it wrong thinking that Fescue would react the same way here is it does much further down south as in Bandon. Different climates and we are seeing the effects by the attempts to redo greens with the same results.

Add in the fact that Poa is going to be an issue, I just cannot see it happening in 2015s period. I just cannot see these guys playing the Nations Open championship under those conditions even if they improve 100%!

If the Open is played here and there is only positive things said about it, I will be totally, utterly shocked beyond belief.

Interesting. So far two people have posted that they have never had quick round. We are planning on being the second people out @ 8:11 (group in front of us are regulars and play quickly, or so we were told). We told them we wanted to play 36 and they set the second tee time for 12:55. Now I'm starting to wonder if we will make it! If it is a twosome, I know that my buddy and I play quickly. I'm not really concerned about the course condition. I'm used to playing the local munis. I'm sure that whatever they provide at CB will be a huge step up. I know I will be exhausted by the end, but it will be worth it. I walked 36 three times this summer. My "game" decreased around 27 holes in. It seemed like there were quite a few slots open. I could see it being pretty sparse in January...

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1388088655' post='8351073']
Interesting. So far two people have posted that they have never had quick round. We are planning on being the second people out @ 8:11 (group in front of us are regulars and play quickly, or so we were told). We told them we wanted to play 36 and they set the second tee time for 12:55. Now I'm starting to wonder if we will make it! If it is a twosome, I know that my buddy and I play quickly. I'm not really concerned about the course condition. I'm used to playing the local munis. I'm sure that whatever they provide at CB will be a huge step up. I know I will be exhausted by the end, but it will be worth it. I walked 36 three times this summer. My "game" decreased around 27 holes in. It seemed like there were quite a few slots open. I could see it being pretty sparse in January...
[/quote]

Definitely a tough walk but doable. Played late last January and looking to do the same this year (24th). Was in the first group and pace wasn't an issue but frost was. Set us back about 90 mins.

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1367944821' post='6986096']
[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1367888063' post='6982604']
[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1367858345' post='6979798']
[quote name='Rohlio' timestamp='1367844620' post='6978452']
That being said Pacific Dunes at Bandon ( it seems to have spared Bandon, Old MAc and Trails so far) has got Poa Annua invading their fescue greens. The last few times I have played it the greens have been HORRIBLE in the afternoon and I grew up in Southern California and am used to Poa. Yet I haven't seen a single person on the forums bring this up. I am guessing it is because they are so overwhelmed just by going to Bandon DUnes.
[/quote]
Explain "horrible in the afternoon"?
[/quote]

Poa annua grows extremely fast and blotchy, Fescue has huge nap and lays down flat into the afternoon. Mix the two and you can magine putting on a pool table with patches of broccoli heads between you and the hole. That is what I mean by "horrible in the afternoon".

Of course since you live in Bandon I assume you are baiting me. That has been my experience playing in the ORPGA event there the last two years though.
[/quote]
That's a fair assessment. Cross contamination is a problem and working in an environmentally sensitive region proves to be a hurdle.
[/quote]

I played it twice during my trip last March - both times in the afternoon. I didn't notice splotchiness, but I did think the greens were too slow for the green complexes (i.e. the ball would stay up at the top of ramps at the back of greens that were (IMO) intended to be available as backstops). It didn't detract much from my overall enjoyment - how could it on a course like Pac Dunes - but I did notice it (and note it in my trip report). This year we're playing Pac Dunes in the morning - given your comments, I'm now glad we are, and am looking forward to seeing if it plays a bit better.

hey blink3665,

since I'm one of the guys talking about slow rounds, some more detail is needed.

I've always teed off at least two hours after opening, and once at twilight.

So since you are in the second group out, you should be fine. (At worst, if the lead group is sluggish, they might let you play through as soon as you tell them you have a later time for the second round.)

[quote name='J LO ' timestamp='1370463182' post='7176286']
Had a chance to sneak out for 18 this morning at Chambers Bay. First group out and really glad that I made the effort to combine with work trip.

Played with a local who was great resource and very accommodating with tons of course knowledge. Started out with birdie at #1, front side of 39 despite 2 three puts and stood +2 through 13 holes. Feel apart on last 5 holes with 4 bogeys and a double but pretty happy with 80 during first round.

Whole course is literally within the biggest stadium, can't wait to see what they do for US Open. Some of the tees that they will play from are just silly...

[/quote]

Pinehurst & Torrey Pines....and if you're made of money, Pebble. Those 6 are my bucket list of courses and I am down to PB left. Hoping my daughter gets a golf scholarship and I can use her college fund to pay for green fees & a caddie for my wife & I at PB!

[quote name='theD1' timestamp='1388115160' post='8352941']
[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1388088655' post='8351073']
[/quote]

Definitely a tough walk but doable. Played late last January and looking to do the same this year (24th). Was in the first group and pace wasn't an issue but frost was. Set us back about 90 mins.
[/quote]

Ha! I'm gonna be playing on the 23rd! I wouldn't know a good course if it hit me in the face, otherwise, I'd give you a conditions update!

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

WITB Link

Played Torrey South a few times but no Pebble or Pinehurst yet for me. Wife planned Pebble for 40 the last year but we opted for Super Bowl once the 49ers made it. Trying to do Pebble next May. Appreciate the feedback!

[quote name='T2GRNN2' timestamp='1388331447' post='8362589']

[/quote]

Pinehurst & Torrey Pines....and if you're made of money, Pebble. Those 6 are my bucket list of courses and I am down to PB left. Hoping my daughter gets a golf scholarship and I can use her college fund to pay for green fees & a caddie for my wife & I at PB!
[/quote]

Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

JAWS RAW KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

[quote name='J LO ' timestamp='1388808079' post='8394945']
Played Torrey South a few times but no Pebble or Pinehurst yet for me. Wife planned Pebble for 40 the last year but we opted for Super Bowl once the 49ers made it. Trying to do Pebble next May. Appreciate the feedback!

[quote name='T2GRNN2' timestamp='1388331447' post='8362589']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Ouch. Coming from a Packers fan who was at the game where Rodgers laid an egg and Kaepernick ran roughshod over the Packers non-existent D last January, I wish you would not have had the opportunity to go to the Super Bowl last year, LOL! Ah well, hopefully there's a little bit of revenge exercised on Sunday. Go Pack Go!