2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

air travel taking golf pull carts

We're taking our clubs, one golf bag each, and then we want to take our pull carts.

The airline won't allow two golf travel bags to be checked baggage by one ticket holder, only one golf travel bag allowed per person.

Anyone know what kind of bag we can get to put our carts into? My Clickgear cart folds down smaller than

the SunMountain tri wheel cart of my partner's but our experience in putting those carts on as checked baggage

without being enclosed with packing is that the carts get really banged up and damaged.

Any info out there? Traveling from usa to europe

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your replies. First, we don't want to spend the money on caddies. Have you checked out Scotland golf course prices lately?

No, not a joke. Have rented pull carts in Ireland and Scotland and Wales and I can tell you that the courses do not put much money into those
carts and some of them (that I had to rent) are just rusted and creaky back huriting pieces of junk.

I'll end the thread here because this is apparently a non issue with you all.

Go to Babies-R-Us and buy a stroller/car seat bag. They would definitely fit the push cart. Possibly even try goodwill as people buy these bags once for a family vacation and never use them again.
[quote name='juliette91' timestamp='1368481617' post='7027522']
We're taking our clubs, one golf bag each, and then we want to take our pull carts.
The airline won't allow two golf travel bags to be checked baggage by one ticket holder, only one golf travel bag allowed per person.

Anyone know what kind of bag we can get to put our carts into? My Clickgear cart folds down smaller than
the SunMountain tri wheel cart of my partner's but our experience in putting those carts on as checked baggage
without being enclosed with packing is that the carts get really banged up and damaged.

[/quote]

When I go on golf trips I put my clicgear inside my luggage. I have to do a very thorough cleaning, then I put a large lawn garbage bag for the trip home when the cart is full of dirt. This forces me to pack light with regards to clothes but I have pretty much mastered that. I am not sure how large you luggage is but for me this works perfect.

[quote name='brian575' timestamp='1368797515' post='7052900']
When I go on golf trips I put my clicgear inside my luggage. I have to do a very thorough cleaning, then I put a large lawn garbage bag for the trip home when the cart is full of dirt. This forces me to pack light with regards to clothes but I have pretty much mastered that. I am not sure how large you luggage is but for me this works perfect.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion Brian. Last time I did the same thing, the Taylor Made golf travel bag unzips practically flat and I was able to put the clicgear inside as well as some clothing. Then we
took another golf travel bag---an older model clubglove, put one golf bag in that and the clubs for two players in that one bag, and then put a much smaller foldable bag inside the travel bag with
the clicgear.

This time my partner has a SunMountain inflated tire cart that just doesn't fold down so the only way to take it would be to put it inside a bag and pack it well, check it in by itself. The airlines were very strict last time, only one golf travel bag per person, and each bag had to have only clubs, shoes and balls. So we were shortstopped at the airport and denied travel for the bag that
carried the clicgear.

Anyway, it's about 5 pounds to rent a cart in Scotland, sometimes 7 and if you play 10 times that's $100 of rental. Still trying to figure this out but thanks again for weighing in.

If you are even able to take a pull cart on the plane there will be baggage fees both ways. Add to those fees the $100 cart rentals you estimated. You can buy a Clic gear in Scotland for close to that or even find a half way descent cheaper pull cart for much less. So the solution here is to buy pull cart when you get there and then donate it to a junior golf program at the last course you play at.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

I have to agree with you about rented pull carts. They are almost always trash.

You could try these folks (www.shipsticks.com) and have either a set of clubs or the push cart shipped--then take the other as airline baggage. Might be pricey, but might also be worth it.

You could also check with the first course you are playing and see if they have a decent cart for purchase.

Note that cars in Europe are usually small, and it might be a challenge to fit both of you, your luggage, your clubs, and your carts.

[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1368807191' post='7053948']
If you are even able to take a pull cart on the plane there will be baggage fees both ways. Add to those fees the $100 cart rentals you estimated. You can buy a Clic gear in Scotland for close to that or even find a half way descent cheaper pull cart for much less. So the solution here is to buy pull cart when you get there and then donate it to a junior golf program at the last course you play at.
[/quote]

Good suggestion but there are few golf shops like we have stateside===like a Golf Galaxy, etc.==big box golf stores. You pretty much have to buy them at a pro shop and the less famous courses are a hit or miss with this kind of item being available for purchase. I put in an email to the first course we're visiting and we'll see... Tks!

[quote name='larson92' timestamp='1368820704' post='7055466']
I have to agree with you about rented pull carts. They are almost always trash.

You could try these folks (www.shipsticks.com) and have either a set of clubs or the push cart shipped--then take the other as airline baggage. Might be pricey, but might also be worth it.

You could also check with the first course you are playing and see if they have a decent cart for purchase.

Note that cars in Europe are usually small, and it might be a challenge to fit both of you, your luggage, your clubs, and your carts.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. We leave tomorrow and it's too late to follow through with the shipsticks idea. My last post, replying to someone else's, answered yours too about buying a cart there. As far as our auto, you're right about that too. I'm checking on that now. Thanks!

One more option is to put the offending cart in a generic cardboard box and bring it as checked baggage. It won't be treated as a second golf accessory as long as it meets their regular size and weight requirements.

Just for fun, you could write "essential tools" on the box in big, bold letters. "Medical gear" would be even better. :-)

[quote name='juliette91' timestamp='1368481617' post='7027522']

[/quote]

Ok, here now in Scotland. Here is what I did: bubble wrapped and atop that shrink wrapped both a sun mountain inflatable tire 3 wheeler and a clicgear2 cart.
Then I strapped the both together with what we use when river rafting, sturdy 1.5" wide river straps, then created a large handle using other river straps and checked them as one piece. (To save money we put all the clubs in one golf bag inside a golf travel bag, so we had one check on per person, and took a Sunday type bag as carry on. It's all working just fine even through big rain and 40+mph winds!