2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

walking the course?

[quote name='exgolfpro' timestamp='1369411117' post='7099150']
I am 46 and walk every round I play. I am almost 'religious' about it. If my only option were to take a cart, I would not play. I wont judge others for what they do, but golf, to me, is about the walk. I will walk in crazy hot weather or in bitter cold. Walked 2 days in a row last year when it was 102* and also played this winter when it was 24*.

But to the OP's point, courses are much less walker friendly than they used to be 20 years ago. Even my home course (where I used to be the pro) has gotten that way. My course is long and a bit hilly. It features many 'natural areas' of tall grasses and weeds. When I was the pro there, I would have the grounds staff mow a 'walking path' from the back of the greens directly to the next tee box, for the walkers (since I was one of them). I noticed last night when I was out playing that they have increased the size and area of the natural areas and no longer have the walking paths. So, as I cut thru the weeds last night, I had weeds/grass up to my stomach. I don't mind this, my only fear is the occasional tick!!!! One side note about last night, as I paid at the front desk, the gentleman behind the counter said 'you can take a cart if you want, no charge'. I said 'thank you, but no'. He said 'the walk is part of it, isnt it?'
[/quote]

Thank you sir! I forgot about the mowed path, they did have that when I started, now no longer. I have seen them on t.v. for the pros though...sure miss the old days.

It's just a different time, my good buddy is taking up the game of golf. All the courses we've played are cart-heavy so it's all he's ever known. I still walk, sometimes he rides which is fine with me, it's just that he doesn't know any different.

There is a local course I've yet to play and he was able to play it on Friday, he called me after the round and told me how nice the course was but insisted there is no way you could walk the course...I smiled to myself and thought, someday I will :superman:

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1369252068' post='7087052']
If it's too hot to walk outside it's probably too hot for golf. [b]100+ degrees with 90%+ humidity is just not what I would consider "golf temps"[/b]. I'd tee off at first light and try and be finished with my round by 11am on those days. The only drinking that would be going on for me would be water or a sports drink.
[/quote]

I get your point, but I hear people throw out 100+ degrees with 90% humidity all the time. Not only is that not "golf temps", it's not possible. The heat index would be 176. At 100 degrees, you're probably unlikely to every see anything much over 50% humidity (118 heat index).

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1368625463' post='7039594']
I don't consider myself "that old" I'm 36. I've been playing golf since H/S. Worked at a few courses in my time and it seems things have changed over the years.

When I first started playing a lot more people walked the courses. The courses where setup for both walkers and riders, they all have nice cart paths but would also include walkers bridges.

Now it seems like a good majority of the courses I play no longer have walking bridges i.e to cross creeks or water hazards, they only have the cart path, which for a walker seems out of the way. I'm not complaining b/c the walk is good, it just seems like they used to have those amenities but now no longer.

I also find a lot of course only offer a riding/green fee rate. I ask them if there is a different rate to walk, they tell me no. You are welcome to not take the cart but you pay for it either way. Then you get out on the course and they have cart paths roped off so you can't take the cart off the path....so you walk anyways...It also seems on the weekends when it's busy I have no problem keeping up while walking, so this idea of the carts speed up pace of play is not true in my case.

If I hit the ball down the middle I play faster than a hooker and slicer riding in a cart together zig-zagging down the course.

When I look on sites like golfnow for green fee, some courses will say things like "walkers welcome" it seems strange that there would be a course where walkers are not welcome????

Am I just old and set in my ways? Why is walking the course not the "in thing"? When I started about 20 years ago, it seemed to be 50/50, now it seems to be closer to 95/5 (riding/walking).

As for pace of play, I walked 36 holes on a Sunday at a local course, teed off at 10:00am, finished the first round at 1:30, then it slowed down b/c they were busy, but I finished the 2nd 18 at 6:00pm. I don't see how riding is faster?
[/quote]

Riding is 100%, undebateably faster. The only way to arrive at any other conclusion is to simply create a bunch of situations that do not actually exist. Sure, you walking down the middle of the fairway is faster than guys in carts zig-zagging down the fairway, but you driving straight down the fairway in a cart would 100% be faster than walking down the fairway. I'm a member at a private course that tends to get pretty deserted in the later afternoons. I can often finish 9 in 90-100 minutes as I walk 95% of the time (for exercise). However, I only had an hour last week and finished 9 in 54 minutes with a cart. There is no way you can convince me that walking is faster than driving a cart. That being said, I prefer walking for a variety of reasons, one of which is speed, I'm not trying to rush through my round. Casually strolling down the fairway having a chat with your playing partners is one of the best parts!

[quote name='questfor80sf' timestamp='1370371981' post='7168786']
I don't consider myself "that old" I'm 36. I've been playing golf since H/S. Worked at a few courses in my time and it seems things have changed over the years.

When I first started playing a lot more people walked the courses. The courses where setup for both walkers and riders, they all have nice cart paths but would also include walkers bridges.

Now it seems like a good majority of the courses I play no longer have walking bridges i.e to cross creeks or water hazards, they only have the cart path, which for a walker seems out of the way. I'm not complaining b/c the walk is good, it just seems like they used to have those amenities but now no longer.

I also find a lot of course only offer a riding/green fee rate. I ask them if there is a different rate to walk, they tell me no. You are welcome to not take the cart but you pay for it either way. Then you get out on the course and they have cart paths roped off so you can't take the cart off the path....so you walk anyways...It also seems on the weekends when it's busy I have no problem keeping up while walking, so this idea of the carts speed up pace of play is not true in my case.

If I hit the ball down the middle I play faster than a hooker and slicer riding in a cart together zig-zagging down the course.

When I look on sites like golfnow for green fee, some courses will say things like "walkers welcome" it seems strange that there would be a course where walkers are not welcome????

Am I just old and set in my ways? Why is walking the course not the "in thing"? When I started about 20 years ago, it seemed to be 50/50, now it seems to be closer to 95/5 (riding/walking).

As for pace of play, I walked 36 holes on a Sunday at a local course, teed off at 10:00am, finished the first round at 1:30, then it slowed down b/c they were busy, but I finished the 2nd 18 at 6:00pm. I don't see how riding is faster?
[/quote]

Riding is 100%, undebateably faster. The only way to arrive at any other conclusion is to simply create a bunch of situations that do not actually exist. Sure, you walking down the middle of the fairway is faster than guys in carts zig-zagging down the fairway, but you driving straight down the fairway in a cart would 100% be faster than walking down the fairway. I'm a member at a private course that tends to get pretty deserted in the later afternoons. I can often finish 9 in 90-100 minutes as I walk 95% of the time (for exercise). However, I only had an hour last week and finished 9 in 54 minutes with a cart. There is no way you can convince me that walking is faster than driving a cart. That being said, I prefer walking for a variety of reasons, one of which is speed, I'm not trying to rush through my round. Casually strolling down the fairway having a chat with your playing partners is one of the best parts!
[/quote]

Agreed, riding is faster, sorry that wasn't my main point. I'm not out there to complete the round in record time. If you're looking to get the round done quickly of course riding is faster, so is running vs walking the course.

I was just saying it seems the walker friendly courses aren't as prevalent as they used to be when I started 15+ years ago.

I do have great news, there is local semi-private course that I've been wanting to play for years but it was private. Now that it's semi-private I can play it, I called and they DO have a walking rate, $40 to ride, $25 to walk they said the green fees are good all day. Tee time tomorrow morning for first round there at 8:04am, going to attempt 36 holes walking, hopefully the heat stays down, it's 92 right now, but says with the humidity it "feels like 96".

What's In The Bag 

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[quote name='TexasAg' timestamp='1370200818' post='7154884']
If it's too hot to walk outside it's probably too hot for golf. [b]100+ degrees with 90%+ humidity is just not what I would consider "golf temps"[/b]. I'd tee off at first light and try and be finished with my round by 11am on those days. The only drinking that would be going on for me would be water or a sports drink.
[/quote]

I get your point, but I hear people throw out 100+ degrees with 90% humidity all the time. Not only is that not "golf temps", it's not possible. The heat index would be 176. At 100 degrees, you're probably unlikely to every see anything much over 50% humidity (118 heat index).
[/quote]

Come to St. Louis, MO in July and you'll believe it. :swoon: Then terrible thunderstorms follow.

[quote name='GoAromando' timestamp='1370536503' post='7182296']
[quote name='TexasAg' timestamp='1370200818' post='7154884']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Come to St. Louis, MO in July and you'll believe it. :swoon: Then terrible thunderstorms follow.
[/quote]

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but it's not physically possible to have 100 degree heat with 90% humidity. A heat index that high has never been recorded on earth. The record for St Louis is 119.

Im glad to have never come across a course yet in the UK, that is 'cart mandatory'
I would say 95% or higher of people walk the courses playing here, Its only the really the old fellows who struggle to get about that get carts at most courses, maybe a few more ride at hotel complex courses I spose, but I would be very sad to see walking taken out of the game.

Neil

Mizuno Mp630
Xhot 3 deep 14.5
SLDR 17 deg hybrid
Ping g15 20 deg hybrid
Callaway XR pro 5 - pw
callaway X forged 48
Callway X tour 52 & 58
Nike Method Mod 90

I prefer to walk, for many reasons. You get a better appreciation for the course. You get more time to put a bad shot behind you and to figure out what you want to do with your next shot. You actually get some exercise. When I golf with my dad, though (which is a good percentage of my rounds), I pretty much have to take a cart, because there's no way he could walk 18 at his age (unless he had a caddie, but I don't know of many public courses that have caddies), and it would be kind of rude to say, "you ride, I'm gonna walk", especially if we were a twosome.

I agree that it's disappointing to see young players (high school, college) riding instead of walking, and courses where it's impossible or extremely impractical to walk.

• 7 months later...

Man vs Golf Cart.

So I went to my course to practice some putting and chipping, nice day and it was packed being that it's a holiday. I was putting well so I figured I'd play 9.

There were people standing around waiting on carts, I even saw some people walk into the pro-shop then leave a few minutes later. I went in and asked, being a member we're supposed to be able to play when-ever we want as it's a semi-private course. They couldn't tell me no but did inform me that it would be about a 2 hour wait b/c they were out of carts. I smiled and said, well if I want to walk the front nine how long would the wait be? They said have at it, no waiting. :taunt:

So I picked up the clubs and strolled on by everyone else waiting in line for a cart.

Man vs Golf Cart...round goes to MAN. :bb:

What's In The Bag 

I'm 63 and have been playing since '99. My house sits on a bluff overlooking a course, but on Saturday mornings our group tees it up 30 miles away because we can walk. We've walked on 100 degree days and 35 degree days. We've finished in less than 3 hours when the course is wide open. Walking just makes sense. When a course is cart path only, carts become a chore! As far as walking in extreme heat, drinking water throughout the round, not just when you feel thirsty, is the key. It's just not a big deal.

Courses like Bandon Dunes, for example, are walking only. If you love the game, and there's an opportunity to play such a course, it's nice to know you can comfortably do it. Go play!

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1390260363' post='8497343']
I'm 63 and have been playing since '99. My house sits on a bluff overlooking a course, but on Saturday mornings our group tees it up 30 miles away because we can walk. We've walked on 100 degree days and 35 degree days. We've finished in less than 3 hours when the course is wide open. Walking just makes sense. When a course is cart path only, carts become a chore! As far as walking in extreme heat, drinking water throughout the round, not just when you feel thirsty, is the key. It's just not a big deal.

Courses like Bandon Dunes, for example, are walking only. If you love the game, and there's an opportunity to play such a course, it's nice to know you can comfortably do it. Go play!
[/quote]

Totally awesome! I need to make a bucket list of walk-only courses. I totally agree, I was playing as a single today and walked the front 9 in 1 & 1/2 hours. Granted I play my home course all the time and hit it well, so I was walking directly down the fairway. The other thing about the carts at my course they are looking to get new carts, maybe gas. The ones they have now are electric and are old, they die all the time and people have to call the pro-shop to get a new cart, most won't make it more than 18, it's past time they are replaced. I've been playing before with a guy, me walking him riding, when his cart died I just kept on a walking.

As far as the bucket list, I'm going to start with this site, I'm not sure if it will specify walk-only courses but it's a good place to start.

[url="http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/twg_walkability_ratings"]http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/twg_walkability_ratings[/url]

Keep in mind, I'm not against those that want or need to use a cart, I just prefer to walk, the speed argument is out of the question. Today I was able to play through 2 foursomes both of which were riding, they were playing what I call "normal cart golf" a hooker and a slicer riding together while I did good and hit it down the middle and hit my GIRs. I had 6/9 GIRs and 5/9 FIRs, 18 putts.

What's In The Bag 

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1390266035' post='8498039']
[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1390260363' post='8497343']

[/quote]

Totally awesome! I need to make a bucket list of walk-only courses. I totally agree, I was playing as a single today and walked the front 9 in 1 & 1/2 hours. Granted I play my home course all the time and hit it well, so I was walking directly down the fairway. The other thing about the carts at my course they are looking to get new carts, maybe gas. The ones they have now are electric and are old, they die all the time and people have to call the pro-shop to get a new cart, most won't make it more than 18, it's past time they are replaced. I've been playing before with a guy, me walking him riding, when his cart died I just kept on a walking.

As far as the bucket list, I'm going to start with this site, I'm not sure if it will specify walk-only courses but it's a good place to start.

[url="http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/twg_walkability_ratings"]http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/twg_walkability_ratings[/url]

Keep in mind, I'm not against those that want or need to use a cart, I just prefer to walk, the speed argument is out of the question. Today I was able to play through 2 foursomes both of which were riding, they were playing what I call "normal cart golf" a hooker and a slicer riding together while I did good and hit it down the middle and hit my GIRs. I had 6/9 GIRs and 5/9 FIRs, 18 putts.
[/quote]

I've never played with a hooker, but I'm definitely open-minded.

[quote name='questfor80sf' timestamp='1370371981' post='7168786']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your first statement only applies when it's only you out there. The moment there are people on the course in front of you, the cart doesn't do you any good other than to hurry up and wait. And there's no need to create situations that don't exist, plenty of them already do. I've done the same as you, finished 18 holes in 2 hours, but *only* when I was first out. Once you get two carts and four players, all the perceived speed advantages go out the window.

I always walk when playing in Men's Club events, skins games, and casual rounds. I only take a cart when playing scrambles or where they are mandatory when they are team events.

I just went on a nice trip with the wifey. Spent a day at Pasatiempo which is one of my favorite walks in golf, then played Spyglass and The Preserve. I used my own Cliqgear cart at Pasa and the Preserve but opted for my usual caddy at Spyglass as I always do which makes my experience memorable as always. I've carried my own bag at Spy many times, but in my opinion there and Bayonet are two walks that can be taxing if not in shape. I myself think walking is the way golf is meant to be played, slows everything down, let's you take in all the course has to offer in its landscape and is good for your health.

SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

I find it interesting that the treads that are very strongly pro walking all seem to assume a couple of things. One, that most every cart foursome uses their cart incorrectly. "Normal cart golf, a hooker and a slicer together". Well what about the normal cart group that has four pretty good players who know how to use the cart. Drop the first guy at his ball, he gets yardage and grabs a club and the other guy heads to his ball. First guy hits and starts walking, they meet up down the fairway. And who knows, maybe because they're good players, not a "hooker and a slicer" they're not too far apart in the first place.

Second thing. What about the walker(s) that is not " hit it well, so I was walking directly down the fairway", but instead playing army golf. It sure seems like most of the walking threads don't make much mention of the walking players that are "zigzagging" their way around the course.

I have no problem with playing it either way. Just find it interesting that riders are so often characterized as weaker players that most often are not efficient users of their carts.

And, at SkyDesign. Is Pasatiempo a difficult walk. As we started number 10 we spoke with an older gentleman coming off 18 carrying his bag. We commented he must be in awfully good shape as at least the front side seemed like it would be a pretty good hike. Back side seemed that way also. I guess I didn't notice at Bayonet what it would have been like to walk.

I enjoy walking as well as riding cart . Walking on very hot days 90 plus is not a good idea . My buddy had heat exhaustion and fainted on the 15 th green .
I always find the last few holes tiresome , fatigue sets in and it affects my scores .
I love early morning , deep breathing, fresh air, birds chirping and almost always very little wind ...

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1390394563' post='8507627']
I find it interesting that the treads that are very strongly pro walking all seem to assume a couple of things. One, that most every cart foursome uses their cart incorrectly. "Normal cart golf, a hooker and a slicer together". Well what about the normal cart group that has four pretty good players who know how to use the cart. Drop the first guy at his ball, he gets yardage and grabs a club and the other guy heads to his ball. First guy hits and starts walking, they meet up down the fairway. And who knows, maybe because they're good players, not a "hooker and a slicer" they're not too far apart in the first place.

Second thing. What about the walker(s) that is not " hit it well, so I was walking directly down the fairway", but instead playing army golf. It sure seems like most of the walking threads don't make much mention of the walking players that are "zigzagging" their way around the course.

I have no problem with playing it either way. Just find it interesting that riders are so often characterized as weaker players that most often are not efficient users of their carts.

[/quote]

Because just like a grocery store seems to have a force field that removes people's IQ from then when they enter, a cart seems to remove said common sense from people. The number of times I have seen people behave in the manner you describe is maybe 1/10th of the time overall. These kind of threads wouldn't happen if people behaved as you described.

But they don't. I almost liken carts to the magic pills people take to lose weight. The pill will do it for them. Once they get into a cart, short of a swinging the club, they get the idea that the cart will do it for them. Why would I walk over there? I have a cart. Why would I drop him here and go there and make him walk? I have a cart.... Again, I'm not talking about the people who really and truly need a cart in order to play this game. But they represent a very small minority of cart riders.

All we ever hear from the pro-cart crowd is they are faster. They are faster. Yet when I play a course that forces me to ride, unless I'm first out with no one in front of me, the round still takes 4.5-5 hours. Where's the speed the cart is supposed to give me?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1390395728' post='8507695']
I also forgot to ask a question for the guys who do walk most of the time. Do you find it makes a significant difference in how tired you are towards the end of your round if you are carrying or using a push cart?
[/quote]

Everyone in our group uses push carts. They do make it easier to walk. I found something called the 'Upright Caddy' that holds the bag nice and vertical ... even easier. Sure, sometimes you begin to tire around the 4th or 5th hole ... Er, I mean the 16th, or so, but that's one of the reasons I like to do it, honestly. I do like walking off 18 with the thought that I could go another 18. When it's brutally hot, still walking, but drinking water like it's free Makers Mark.

Hey all you guys - congratulations on walking! Keep at it.

I have a friend who used to play mini-tours and is now 66. He walks and carries a full bag. I'm 61 and not in as good shape, although I still windsurf and snowboard. But I have come to the conclusion that I can get around just fine with 8 or 9 clubs in a Swift-X carry bag. Yes, I too try to walk whenever possible, even if I can't play with a full set.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1390395728' post='8507695']
I also forgot to ask a question for the guys who do walk most of the time. Do you find it makes a significant difference in how tired you are towards the end of your round if you are carrying or using a push cart?
[/quote]

I carry my bag when it's not super hot here in Texas, July-August, in those months I'll either play early, teeing off as close to sunrise as possible or I use my clic-gear push cart. It's really nice, rolls smoothly, has a seat and the umbrella holder allows me to walk/sit in the shade.

I'm also diabetic so I mainly walk for 2 reasons, 1A) I like having all my clubs with me, in a cart I will often find myself not having the proper club either to chip or hit into the green with and my buddy has the cart off by his ball and I make do with what I have, usually the results don't work out as well as if I had my clubs on me and made the correct club selection. 1B) I get a better flow to my game, more time between shots, enjoy the outdoors more. 2) Being diabetic type II I need the exercise, I try and mainly drink water only and keep healthy snacks in my bag.

I have hit the "wall" on the 12th hole once, wasn't eating properly and it was like someone unplugged the power. I had a snack and slowed down for a bit then all was good.

So yes, I would say carrying my bag will tire me out more in the heat of the summer, otherwise the only time I notice a big difference is if I walk more than 18, say 27-36, then yes I see a difference mainly in my shoulders. The clic-gear with seat and umbrella for shade makes it nice on those hot days when you have time waiting on the group in front of you, it's nice to sit down and rest in the shade.

If I play regularly a few times a week, don't load my bag up with more than 14 clubs, 3-6 balls, a light rain jacket, bottle of water, tees, ball marker, etc... then the bag feels fine. It only gets heavy when I load it up with too much stuff. To me it's like anything else, the more practice I have carrying a full set the more normal it feels. If I don't play for a while then it does feel heavy at first but I get use to it.

Morale of the story, if it's super hot or I plan on walking more than 18+ I will take the clic-gear, otherwise I like to carry my stand bag.

What's In The Bag 

I walk all the time with a SM Micro push cart. I bought it in 2009. The wheels have no more tread. Just plain rubber now. I would not be in the shape I am have I not decided to start walking. Builds leg strength which helps with the golf swing. I play around 120 x per year and I know my walk is around 6.5 miles per round. So I keep the companies that sell shoes in good financial shape. I enjoy the game so much better when I walk. Still play some courses that make you take a cart but I try and avoid them when all possible.